PDA

View Full Version : So Mangum is able to be be drafted this year as a Sophmore..

fishwater99
03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.the3rdmanin.com/draft-eligible-jake-mangum/

I assume he is gone.

HSVDawg
03-15-2017, 03:33 PM
http://www.the3rdmanin.com/draft-eligible-jake-mangum/

I assume he is gone.

If that ranking is accurate (29th best college prospect), he's 99% gone. That would easily put him in the top 3 rounds.

MadDawg
03-15-2017, 03:34 PM
He gone.

Homedawg
03-15-2017, 03:45 PM
I think he'll be back. He still has one year of leverage.

maroonmania
03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Just another factor that makes college baseball recruiting so infuriating. You escape the MLB draft and get a guy into school from HS and you think you have him for at least 3 years. Oh, but wait, here is another loophole that because of the kid being slightly older graduating than some he is actually eligible after only 2 years of college ball. I don't think I could ever be a college baseball coach because of all the roster turmoil you have to deal with.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Just another factor that makes college baseball recruiting so infuriating. You escape the MLB draft and get a guy into school from HS and you think you have him for at least 3 years. Oh, but wait, here is another loophole that because of the kid being slightly older graduating than some he is actually eligible after only 2 years of college ball. I don't think I could ever be a college baseball coach because of all the roster turmoil you have to deal with.

Fortunately were not the only team that has to deal with this. That's part of it. You just have to have the perfect storm 1 year and hope for a run at a title.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-15-2017, 04:54 PM
This is not a loophole, nor is it new information. This has been discussed on this board for well over a year. This did not surprise anyone that he is draft eligible after this year.

maroonmania
03-15-2017, 05:17 PM
This is not a loophole, nor is it new information. This has been discussed on this board for well over a year. This did not surprise anyone that he is draft eligible after this year.

Well it is a loophole in the 3 years out of HS rule but its certainly not new and no, it didn't surprise anyone, but its still a major headache that the college coach has to deal with.

StatesboroBlues
03-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Well it is a loophole in the 3 years out of HS rule but its certainly not new and no, it didn't surprise anyone, but its still a major headache that the college coach has to deal with.

Every coach knows the rule and who they recruit that this would apply. Not a headache when you know who this applies as well as who may take advantage of said rule.

I seen it dawg
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
He's got a leverage year still and enjoys the hell out of college. I could see him staying unless he no lower than sandwich picks. He can come back next yr and be a golden spikes candidate.

Madisonmd
03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Gone!!

HSVDawg
03-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I think he'll be back. He still has one year of leverage.

Thats also one less year of playing for big time bucks if he has MLB aspirations (and he should). Also, his late emergence as a pitcher is only going to add to his stock. If you were talking about the difference between 6th-7th round and 2nd-3rd, the leverage argument would make sense. But this is the difference between 2nd-3rd round and 1st round. There's not a whole lot more improvement he can make in his stock if the current projection is accurate.

Political Hack
03-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Heard his girlfriend might be hot enough to get him to stay one more year, but yeah he can go. I didn't realize that until opening weekend.

Todd4State
03-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Thats also one less year of playing for big time bucks if he has MLB aspirations (and he should). Also, his late emergence as a pitcher is only going to add to his stock. If you were talking about the difference between 6th-7th round and 2nd-3rd, the leverage argument would make sense. But this is the difference between 2nd-3rd round and 1st round. There's not a whole lot more improvement he can make in his stock if the current projection is accurate.

I don't know about that. He could add some power to his game to increase his stock.

Todd4State
03-15-2017, 09:36 PM
I guess we will get to possibly test Cann's ability to retain upperclassmen after they have been drafted. We've certainly been burned more than our fair share of times. If that ability proves to be true- that's one of the most exciting things about Cann in my opinion.

maroonmania
03-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Every coach knows the rule and who they recruit that this would apply. Not a headache when you know who this applies as well as who may take advantage of said rule.

Obviously coaches know the rules and kids that can possibly leave earlier than normal due to age, but specific to Mangum I don't even believe he was even drafted or considered a draft risk coming out of HS and now 2 years later he is being projected in the first 2 rounds of this year's draft? So no, I don't think this was something our coaches initially thought would be an issue. Certainly after how well Mangum performed as true freshman they knew it could become a potential issue.

smootness
03-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Personally, I don't see him as a 2nd-3rd round guy right now. I'd be pretty surprised if he was taken there. I think he'll be back.

HSVDawg
03-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Personally, I don't see him as a 2nd-3rd round guy right now. I'd be pretty surprised if he was taken there. I think he'll be back.

Thats just what Baseball America thinks. His chances of coming back certainly depend on them being wrong: