PDA

View Full Version : Om vs Monmouth NIT

msstate7
03-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Watching game on tv and baseball on iPad. Anyway, it's under 8 mins to go in the 2nd half and OM has 2 fouls and Monmouth has 1. If we had these refs, we might've gotten postseason.

West Tn Dawg
03-14-2017, 07:58 PM
New rule............
Fouls were reset at the half way point of the half.

msstate7
03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
New rule............
Fouls were reset at the half way point of the half.

Ahhh... I knew it was weird to see that few fouls

lamont
03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
what channel?

msstate7
03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
what channel?

Espn2... rebs prob gonna win

RocketDawg
03-14-2017, 08:11 PM
I guess I don't understand the NIT structure. Why is a 5 seed playing a 4 seed in the first round?

msstate7
03-14-2017, 08:13 PM
I guess I don't understand the NIT structure. Why is a 5 seed playing a 4 seed in the first round?

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

RocketDawg
03-14-2017, 08:18 PM
OK ... just 8 teams. Thanks.

Looks like the next game is Richmond vs Alabama. I thought Bama should've been an NCAA team.

RocketDawg
03-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Alabama has the worst looking basketball floor I've ever seen. It's painful to watch on television, and probably worse in person.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Alabama has the worst looking basketball floor I've ever seen. It's painful to watch on television, and probably worse in person.

You've never seen Oregon's then

RocketDawg
03-14-2017, 09:07 PM
You've never seen Oregon's then

Don't think I have but it's easy to imagine, based on everything else they do.

Just looked it up ... finally figured out those are trees on the floor. Pretty bad.

MarketingBully
03-14-2017, 10:11 PM
So Johnson has taken NIT talent to the NIT and lost in the first round both times. Basically what Anthony Grant also did.

MarketingBully
03-14-2017, 10:12 PM
If you zone Alabama and stop them driving to the basket, you shut them down. That's exactly what Richmond did. It's idiotic to play man to man against them:

missouridawg
03-14-2017, 10:16 PM
If you zone Alabama and stop them driving to the basket, you shut them down. That's exactly what Richmond did. It's idiotic to play man to man against them:

The man-to-man versus zone argument is a precarious one. Man-to-man is what pro prospects need to play and the majority of them seek it out to better prepare themselves for the NBA. Very few teams with elite talent play zone because of this. However, a well executed zone D can really throw some teams off.

I think Howland stance on man-to-man is ok for us, as I'd rather recruit elite, NBA types.

BayouDawg
03-14-2017, 10:25 PM
The man-to-man versus zone argument is a precarious one. Man-to-man is what pro prospects need to play and the majority of them seek it out to better prepare themselves for the NBA. Very few teams with elite talent play zone because of this. However, a well executed zone D can really throw some teams off.

I think Howland stance on man-to-man is ok for us, as I'd rather recruit elite, NBA types.

While I agree with this I also think it is beneficial to mix in some zone every now and then. Throwing different looks at offenses can really mess with their rhythm. I'd like to see us do a half court trap and drop back into a 2-3 every once in a while. Or do a 2-3 and trap every time the ball goes to the corner.

MarketingBully
03-14-2017, 10:30 PM

Man to man is the hardest defense for freshmen to learn and everyone has to be on the same page with great communication on off ball and on ball switches along with when to double the post. As you saw this year, we struggled mightily with our man to man but could have benefited from playing zone against teams such as Alabama and South Carolina where their only chance of scoring is on the inside. Playing zone this past year could have gotten us a few more wins and made our fans at least feel better about ourselves.

Dawg61
03-14-2017, 10:37 PM

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

OK ... just 8 teams. Thanks.

Looks like the next game is Richmond vs Alabama. I thought Bama should've been an NCAA team.

No there's 4 brackets with 8 teams each in the tournament. 32 total teams.