PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's starter?

msstate7
03-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Did Cann announce who it would be today? Is it self or is he injured?

Todd4State
03-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Self is hurt. They don't think it's serious but personally I'm worried. I'm not sure who starts tomorrow- my guess would be Jacob Barton but it could be anyone other than Pilkington, Plumlee, Billingsley, or anyone that is hurt.

Choctaw Dawg
03-13-2017, 11:45 PM
I just went through the lineup to figure out who hasn't pitched major innings this weekend and is healthy and the only guys i got are Mahoney and Rigby (and he still might be hurt). Tomorrow is going to be a Johnny wholestaff and a BETTER win because Arkansas Pine-Bluff is one of those RPI killers that you obviously can't lose to and also sent our 2015 season down the shitter.

Choctaw Dawg
03-13-2017, 11:49 PM
I just went through the lineup to figure out who hasn't pitched major innings this weekend and is healthy and the only guys i got are Mahoney and Rigby (and he still might be hurt). Tomorrow is going to be a Johnny wholestaff and a BETTER win because Arkansas Pine-Bluff is one of those RPI killers that you obviously can't lose to and also sent our 2015 season down the shitter.
Rigby has a 0.00 ERA on the year but has not logged any major innings and recently blew a game. Mahoney has a 9.00 ERA and has not impressed me whatsoever this year. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Rigby has a 0.00 ERA on the year but has not logged any major innings and recently blew a game. Mahoney has a 9.00 ERA and has not impressed me whatsoever this year. Tomorrow will be interesting.

I could see Rigby maybe pitching IF he is healthy and we have a commanding lead. Commanding with Cann needs to be 20-0 as long as he likes to leave pitchers in.

The Federalist Engineer
03-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Self is hurt. They don't think it's serious but personally I'm worried. I'm not sure who starts tomorrow- my guess would be Jacob Barton but it could be anyone other than Pilkington, Plumlee, Billingsley, or anyone that is hurt.

I would like to have Barton available for Hog Killing, how about giving Cyr another chance? Or we might need Ford to step-up.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2017, 12:34 AM
Pine Bluff smoked an SEC team over the weekend...Bama maybe?

I wasn't able to watch the Monday morning game...who all pitched? Did Billingsley pitch? If not, wouldn't he be the likely starter tomorrow?

Why didn't we just cancel either Monday's game or the Pine Bluff game? The last thing we need is a tired pitching staff headed in to opening weekend of SEC play.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2017, 12:35 AM
I would like to have Barton available for Hog Killing, how about giving Cyr another chance? Or we might need Ford to step-up.

I agree about Barton. Great idea with Cyr and Ford

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 01:15 AM

Cyr appears to be this years Vance Tatum. If he gets another chance it needs to be against someone like Arkansas Pine Bluff. I think the best thing to do with Ford is to let him go off and pitch this summer somewhere- of course I say that not having gone to practice to see how he looks. I might ask Ford and Mahoney to do an inning or so- but that would be about it.

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 01:33 AM
Pine Bluff smoked an SEC team over the weekend...Bama maybe?

I wasn't able to watch the Monday morning game...who all pitched? Did Billingsley pitch? If not, wouldn't he be the likely starter tomorrow?

Why didn't we just cancel either Monday's game or the Pine Bluff game? The last thing we need is a tired pitching staff headed in to opening weekend of SEC play.

Arkansas Pine Bluff did split a doubleheader with Alabama.

Billingsley pitched on Monday and struggled which was disappointing.

No idea why we didn't cancel one of the games. I'm much more worried about losing to a bad SWAC team and sinking our RPI and any postseason hopes more than having guys rested for Arkansas.

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Hell Rooker brought the heat last yr, let him throw some seeing as were in bad shape with pitchers... Id let Self rest up for this wknd so we know he is healthy.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Hell Rooker brought the heat last yr, let him throw some seeing as were in bad shape with pitchers... Id let Self rest up for this wknd so we know he is healthy.

Rooker? I don't remember him ever stepping on the mound last year.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Actually, I don't remember Rooker ever stepping on the mound in his entire career at MSU.

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Actually, I don't remember Rooker ever stepping on the mound in his entire career at MSU.

I thought Rooker threw some last yr? Who am I thinking off then that came out of the outfield last yr and pitched last yr????

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 07:00 AM

Your right, my bad. I looked it up... Im thinking of Reid Hump last yr...

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Just freakin' ridiculous to play a 4 game weekend plus a midweek heading into the week of SEC play. The first 2 weekends being 4 games I'm fine with but the weekend before SEC play we should already be transitioning into the 3 game sets and quit taxing our staff to the max. Of course it was made worse by the "weekend" ending on Monday but stupid either way. I assume for this year's scheduling its strictly on Cohen.

basedog
03-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Practice or game? Game all day long, pitchers need to be put to a test early.

School is out and they need to be concentrating 100% on baseball, the pitchers who haven't performed well and the ones who haven't pitched much need to be put in pressure situation.

Damn it's baseball, "there is no crying in baseball"!

Young team learning how to win.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Go cyr then piece it together from there. After his stellar 4 pitch performance this wkd I don't want to run him out there but there isn't much choice. Unless we start Mangum and put him as DH.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Mangum is starting

msstate7
03-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Mangum is starting

With our TJ outbreak, I cringe every pitch our AA positional player is on the mound

state66
03-14-2017, 09:18 AM
I know we have been harsh on Gary Henderson but he is having to make due with half a staff. Starting Mangum today and throwing Cole Gordon at length yesterday just shows how desperate we are for arms.

Homedawg
03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
I know we have been harsh on Gary Henderson but he is having to make due with half a staff. Starting Mangum today and throwing Cole Gordon at length yesterday just shows how desperate we are for arms.

I don't know how you can even form an opinion on Henderson at this point. We don't even have 1/2 our staff and just about everyone has had a blown putting out of the pen and most multiple. Hindsight is easy from in front of the keyboard.

TNDawg35
03-14-2017, 09:33 AM

We are harsh with him because our pitchers cant throw strikes. In 155 innings pitched, we have issued 87 walks and hit another 16 people. Every game we have blown this yr that we should have won, were due to the big inning the other team had, we started it with walked... How many times have we walked a batter in the 9th inning holding a lead... If we would limit the batters we walked and hit, we wouldnt be that bad in the pen.

ETDawg
03-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Pitching coach hasn't throw a pitch yet this year!

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
I don't know how you can even form an opinion on Henderson at this point. We don't even have 1/2 our staff and just about everyone has had a blown putting out of the pen and most multiple. Hindsight is easy from in front of the keyboard.

We walk too many ****ing people. It's my only beef at this point. Not one pitcher on our staff would be here at this level if he can't throw strikes and compete in the zone. He needs to get in their ass more and make them challenge hitters. It's not a skill thing at this point it's a not in their ass enough thing.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Mangum is starting

Well there you go.

basedog
03-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Pitching coach hasn't throw a pitch yet this year!

Well said as we have some arm chair pitchers better than Bob Gibson. Henderson is a good pitching coach, he hasn't been dealt with a very good hand.

basedog
03-14-2017, 10:03 AM
We walk too many ****ing people. It's my only beef at this point. Not one pitcher on our staff would be here at this level if he can't throw strikes and compete in the zone. He needs to get in their ass more and make them challenge hitters. It's not a skill thing at this point it's a not in their ass enough thing.

It is a skill in throwing strikes.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:10 AM
It is a skill in throwing strikes.

But that skill is already in them or they wouldn't be here in our program. Right now some of our young guys pitch too much like pussies. They nibble around the plate trying to be too fine when their stuff is electric and they should be challenging guys. It's a mentality. That's Hendersons job to pound that into them. Walking so many guys is mental not physical. This is something that can be beaten out of a pitcher.

basedog
03-14-2017, 10:24 AM
But that skill is already in them or they wouldn't be here in our program. Right now some of our young guys pitch too much like pussies. They nibble around the plate trying to be too fine when their stuff is electric and they should be challenging guys. It's a mentality. That's Hendersons job to pound that into them. Walking so many guys is mental not physical. This is something that can be beaten out of a pitcher.

I want disagree except they are young and need experience, they aren't high profile pro prospects at the moment. Young pitchers are like a young boy getting his first piece of ass, they try not to shoot off fast and are way to careful or either they just blow it fast! Experience will help. Not having the injured pitchers has hurt with leadership for the young guys to learn from. Players can help more than coaches a lot of the times.

Tbonewannabe
03-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Cohen and Butch had this same issue their first year at MSU except they didn't have half the team out due to injury. Didn't Henderson come in late in the fall? These coaches haven't been around the players enough to really get a feel for everyone. This team doesn't give up so hopefully they will keep getting better as the year goes on. Some of these young pitchers have to step up or this team will be lucky to get to a Regional.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:33 AM
I want disagree except they are young and need experience, they aren't high profile pro prospects at the moment. Young pitchers are like a young boy getting his first piece of ass, they try not to shoot off fast and are way to careful or either they just blow it fast! Experience will help. Not having the injured pitchers has hurt with leadership for the young guys to learn from. Players can help more than coaches a lot of the times.

They aren't "young" as far as being able to throw it over the plate and compete. They wouldn't be here if they were. That stuff is worked out in high school for these guys. And at this point they are thinking too much and not letting their ability dictate their pitching. It always happens when a jump is made unless the pitcher is already just a mean muther****er when he gets here. It's the pitching coaches job to re channel what got the pitcher to this level to start with, their stuff.

I'm not hating on anybody but just stating facts. We walk too many people and it's fixable. Fixable by the pitching coach. And he would probably tell you that if asked if he's worth his salt which I imagine he is.

basedog
03-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Cohen and Butch had this same issue their first year at MSU except they didn't have half the team out due to injury. Didn't Henderson come in late in the fall? These coaches haven't been around the players enough to really get a feel for everyone. This team doesn't give up so hopefully they will keep getting better as the year goes on. Some of these young pitchers have to step up or this team will be lucky to get to a Regional.

Yes on Henderson and Canny, they as well as this team is a work in progress. Being 11-6 with 4 wins in a row is ok, hopefully and I think we will, get better, not saying we will or want make a region though.

lamont
03-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Experience or not- they are still being pussies. Challenge hitters and stop nibbling. These guys have been pitching since they were 6-7-8 years old. They know what they are doing. Henderson has to do a better job of setting that tone.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:39 AM

Don't disagree with this but a point I want to make is this...doesn't matter about knowing the players as far as what I'm talking about. If I walked in today in my first meeting without knowing any of them my message would be "we will compete, throw strikes, and challenge hitters. Make them get themselves out which they will do. We will pound the zone." I wouldn't give a shit what pitchers were there or what their makeup was or what their background was.

Pounding the zone and competing should be universal from the moment a kid first steps on a mound in his first kid pitch game to the point they no longer play baseball. It's non-negotiable and not under, or will it ever be, under discussion. There is no other way on this subject.

basedog
03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Experience or not- they are still being pussies. Challenge hitters and stop nibbling. These guys have been pitching since they were 6-7-8 years old. They know what they are doing. Henderson has to do a better job of setting that tone.

Maybe so, but Henderson didn't recruit these guys, a few will never be good pitchers and probably wouldn't last IF we had our front line pitchers not injured.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2017, 10:49 AM
I really hope Parker Ford can get some innings today.

1) We need him

2) He's a big time talent

3) He just needs some confidence after coming off the injury

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Maybe so, but Henderson didn't recruit these guys, a few will never be good pitchers and probably wouldn't last IF we had our front line pitchers not injured.

Will never know if they don't throw the ball over the plate.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 10:56 AM
I really hope Parker Ford can get some innings today.

1) We need him

2) He's a big time talent

3) He just needs some confidence after coming off the injury

Could for sure help us.

smootness
03-14-2017, 11:01 AM

So which of our pitchers are open to be called names for not throwing strikes, and which are off-limits for questioning on throwing strikes? I just need to get this straight.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
So which of our pitchers are open to be called names for not throwing strikes, and which are off-limits for questioning on throwing strikes? I just need to get this straight.

Not calling anyone names. No reason to. I know you are picking at a bone so just ****ing do it.

ETA..and if you read any of the thread you will see I'm putting this at the feet of the pitching coach

basedog
03-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Will never know if they don't throw the ball over the plate.

Maybe one or two them can't for whatever reason. I agree that they got to throw it over the plate. I realize walks are a killer.

I still think Henderson will be good as a pitching coach, he has a good reputation as a recruiter. Time will tell.

smootness
03-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Not calling anyone names. No reason to. I know you are picking at a bone so just ****ing do it.

ETA..and if you read any of the thread you will see I'm putting this at the feet of the pitching coach

Your overall point may have been to criticize Henderson, but you clearly called our pitchers a name and implied they just aren't being tough enough. In a similar situation a couple weeks ago, you jumped on posters who did something similar.

I'm not picking a bone just to do it. I have an issue with the inconsistency in which the board is run, and I always have an issue with calling our players names. I don't know why you have an issue with it at times while doing the exact same thing yourself at others.

How many of our players are mental midgets now?

hailstate17
03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
My biggest deal with Henderson is that players have told me he lacks energy, fire. College baseball is a long season. You need a pitching coach that has a little fire.

basedog
03-14-2017, 12:13 PM
My biggest deal with Henderson is that players have told me he lacks energy, fire. College baseball is a long season. You need a pitching coach that has a little fire.

Interesting.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2017, 12:15 PM

I just want someone that lacks Tommy John's

HereComesTheSpiral
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm coming out of the stands tonight, we about to start the 10th man tradition for the new stadium.

HereComesTheSpiral
03-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Our last pitching coach had fire, now our pitchers don't have elbows.

The Federalist Engineer
03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
what is Myles Gentry doing tonight around 6:30 or so?

shoeless joe
03-14-2017, 02:38 PM

I think over the course of a long season a steady dependable approach will be a good thing.

Not advocating or knocking Henderson...haven't been able to pay close attention so far this year but I don't doubt there is a definite personality change from last year and I'm not certain if that's a good or bad thing.

lamont
03-14-2017, 02:38 PM
How many of our players are mental midgets now?

We have a few candidates for sure. Need more input to fully judge tho

smootness
03-14-2017, 03:33 PM
We have a few candidates for sure. Need more input to fully judge tho

So I'm free to call any of them that I think might fit a mental midget, yes?

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 03:44 PM

I agree that I would rather have an energetic coach as opposed to one that lacks energy. I like Cann's energy.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 04:03 PM
I agree that I would rather have an energetic coach as opposed to one that lacks energy. I like Cann's energy.

I like having energy with the head guy and I think Cann has that as Cohen had it. For the pitching coach, which is a teacher more than anything of mechanics and crafting a skill, I don't think it helps much to be overly intense and animated. I never saw Wes Johnson animated or overly excited during games. Can't speak to how Henderson or Johnson are during practices.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 04:27 PM

You know what do whatever the **** you want. I didn't call any of them pussies. I said they were pitching LIKE pussies because they are. I didn't imply shit I stated it. Go after hitters, killer mentality. When there is enough sample size then mental midget certainly is warranted. Continuing to make bonehead after bonehead mistake makes you a mental midget. Beginning of the season with all these new guys it's probably not warranted but whatever.

As far as the way the board is run and inconsistency you're just being bitchy there. Get over it. Now if you find a place where I specifically singled out a player and called him a name personally then I'll admit I shouldn't have and sweetheart I'll try to do better. Chances are its more along the lines of "so and so continues to be a mental midget and can't stop getting picked off base" or something like that. And it's warranted. "So and so won't go at hitters since beginning of last season. He's got no stones." Warranted.

What do you want? How do you want it? You tell me how I should post and I'll take it under consideration.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 04:27 PM

No you're not. You have to earn that.

smootness
03-14-2017, 05:09 PM
You know what do whatever the **** you want. I didn't call any of them pussies. I said they were pitching LIKE pussies because they are. I didn't imply shit I stated it. Go after hitters, killer mentality. When there is enough sample size then mental midget certainly is warranted. Continuing to make bonehead after bonehead mistake makes you a mental midget. Beginning of the season with all these new guys it's probably not warranted but whatever.

As far as the way the board is run and inconsistency you're just being bitchy there. Get over it. Now if you find a place where I specifically singled out a player and called him a name personally then I'll admit I shouldn't have and sweetheart I'll try to do better. Chances are its more along the lines of "so and so continues to be a mental midget and can't stop getting picked off base" or something like that. And it's warranted. "So and so won't go at hitters since beginning of last season. He's got no stones." Warranted.

What do you want? How do you want it? You tell me how I should post and I'll take it under consideration.

If you're not ok with calling out certain players for something mental, don't call out any of them. Simple as that.

I seen it dawg
03-14-2017, 05:19 PM
If you're not ok with calling out certain players for something mental, don't call out any of them. Simple as that.

No its not.

smootness
03-14-2017, 06:22 PM
No its not.

Then your opinion will mean nothing.

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 06:31 PM
I like having energy with the head guy and I think Cann has that as Cohen had it. For the pitching coach, which is a teacher more than anything of mechanics and crafting a skill, I don't think it helps much to be overly intense and animated. I never saw Wes Johnson animated or overly excited during games. Can't speak to how Henderson or Johnson are during practices.

I think you can have a coach that has energy that isn't overly animated and intense. I think Butch Thompson was like that.