PDA

View Full Version : Good article on o-line recruiting by Jake Wimberly

Todd4State
03-13-2017, 08:56 PM
http://gridironnow.com/cole-smith-lsu-commitment-mississippi-state/

Pretty sobering.

tenureplan
03-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Wasn't the gun stealing hat hurler a DL?

msstate7
03-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Isn't jake the guy that broke down our film every week to find a missed assignment then explain it like John madden only to find out later he had no idea of our assignments?

Bully13
03-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Suck it hevesy, you deserve the boos. Mullen, wtf?

Todd4State
03-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Ole Miss recruited him as an o-lineman. He was an OL/DL prospect as a recruit.

Todd4State
03-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Isn't jake the guy that broke down our film every week to find a missed assignment then explain it like John madden only to find out later he had no idea of our assignments?

Aren't you the guy that defends Hevesy every thread despite mounting evidence?

Commercecomet24
03-13-2017, 09:29 PM

We were taking him as a DT. So that's not an OL miss.

msstate7
03-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Aren't you the guy that defends Hevesy every thread despite mounting evidence?

This "mounting evidence" is the same thing that's been said here every day for like 5 years. Just bc State Farm Jake said it doesn't give it more credence. Hev needs to recruit better... who has said he doesn't?

Turfdawg67
03-13-2017, 09:44 PM
http://gridironnow.com/cole-smith-lsu-commitment-mississippi-state/

Pretty sobering.

Of course it is... Gdammit we get it, our OL sucks, our OL recruiting sucks, our OL coordinator sucks... give it a 17'n rest.

lamont
03-13-2017, 09:45 PM
The misses we actually signed on that list is depressing. And why people are irate for not offering a legacy that LSU wants

BayouDawg
03-13-2017, 10:05 PM
It's just laziness. Plain and simple.

Jack Lambert
03-13-2017, 10:14 PM
maybe we should start cheating in recruiting.

state66
03-13-2017, 10:20 PM
I dont buy the whole staff recruiting thing. At the end of the day the athlete is going to choose the position coach he likes most. What OL is going to come to Mississippi State because he loved the WR coach? That argument is stupid. Once our staff has identified these kids and get them on campus its up to Hevesy to close and close he does not do.

Todd4State
03-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Cheat? How about just not be lazy and rude and try to recruit that way first?

justwin
03-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Overall, it's an obvious, lazy article that any message board member could write over half a lunch break. But this is what you get from today's "journalists". There's better posts on this board by people who have day jobs. Would've been a better article had the author factored in Juco OL from MS who went to other places like Gennessy who started at OT for TXAM. That & showed kids who actually went to a MS high school and ended up in the NFL via college other than SEC ~ that would be a great article and more telling of the actual talent in MS and kind of what you would expect from someone who makes a living doing this.

so Wommack & Lashley could be our starting tackles right now? I wonder where they rank on Bama's depth chart. Those two really hurt. Time will tell.

hindsight, I'd say top 3 OL on that list are: Gabe Jackson ~ 4 year starter, Steen ~ multiple year starter, I guess Shon Coleman b/c he made it to the NFL, I guess but so did Clausell, but he never stuck. Some of those recent guys are still in college though. Am I reading this correctly in that the only guy on that entire list that has made a living playing is Gabe?

Is Coleman the only guy we didn't sign who made it to the NFL? did Steen?

But yeah, 2011 was pretty bad and overall no star players. I wonder how much OM paid Morris & Bell as those two would've made a difference and probably wanted to go to MSU. Who of those OM signees would've have a better career had they not taken OM's $? Taylor & Patterson are short...Morris, maybe?

Our 2016 class needs more production than the 2011 class. Would really buck the %s if at least 2 of those 3 actually had good careers and started a few years.

At a minimum, I think the OL big board needs to have two requirements. 1. sign at least 5 OL every year b/c odds are at least 2 will start during their careers & 2. sign exclusively from LA, MS, AL.

justwin
03-13-2017, 11:22 PM

I know you're joking, but that would completely turn me off & probably many of the MSU grads. Say what you want, but Mullen's character revealed more to me about he handled the Scam situation that anything else. A once in a lifetime player he let walk b/c he was unwilling to cheat to get him.

But yeah, Mullen just needs to hire a better OL recruiter. Hev is an old grump and probably good at coaching them, but sub par recruiter.

Has Looney recruited good OL during his college career at other places?

GTHOM
03-13-2017, 11:27 PM

Jake is a good guy, calls games for us at Brandon. He knows his stuff. To be fair, no fan knows exactly what our assignments are on every single play. Jake was just pointing out garbage effort which is something that everybody should do.

GTHOM
03-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Our OL recruiting has gotten better since 2014 but its still the main thing holding us back from going to ATL. We may not do it even with an elite OL. Its hard to do with Saban down the road. I think this years OL has the POTENTIAL to be one of our better groups but we shall see

gtowndawg
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Hard to argue facts. This is the reason it's hard to get totally excited about football. Everyone in the known universe admits it's a problem yet we do nothing.

Bully13
03-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Wish I was good enough to post that pic of hevesy with a caption of "wanna be my friend?"

PassInterference
03-14-2017, 06:17 AM
I know you're joking, but that would completely turn me off & probably many of the MSU grads. Say what you want, but Mullen's character revealed more to me about he handled the Scam situation that anything else. A once in a lifetime player he let walk b/c he was unwilling to cheat to get him.

But yeah, Mullen just needs to hire a better OL recruiter. Hev is an old grump and probably good at coaching them, but sub par recruiter.

SMH.

Jack Lambert
03-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Yes I was joking but Freeze said and I heard him say that he learned how to recruit from Coach O. Well we know how Freeze recruits ($).

It is still early in the process and Mullen is good for at least one rabbit out of the hat trick every signing day.

1bigdawg
03-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Our OL recruiting has gotten better since 2014 but its still the main thing holding us back from going to ATL. We may not do it even with an elite OL. Its hard to do with Saban down the road. I think this years OL has the POTENTIAL to be one of our better groups but we shall see

2018 has the potential to be a really good group. In 2017, it will take us a long time to gel with all the new faces and Hev moving them around until two weeks before the game.

I understand that we want depth and that when we are thin at the position that means guys needing to know multiple positions. However, a better plan is to recruit well enough to have two deep at every position, even if a couple of the backups are young.

NCDawg
03-14-2017, 07:59 AM
I dont buy the whole staff recruiting thing. At the end of the day the athlete is going to choose the position coach he likes most. What OL is going to come to Mississippi State because he loved the WR coach? That argument is stupid. Once our staff has identified these kids and get them on campus its up to Hevesy to close and close he does not do.

This pretty much nails it. It is apparent that a lot of good offensive linemen don't want to play for Hevesy. Mullen is sacrificing the team potential to be really good by his unwavering friendship.

AROB44
03-14-2017, 08:05 AM
When this site needs to generate clicks, just start a thread about the OL. Pretty much the same ole same ole. Nothing changes....guess it make some folks feel better to regurgitate the same stuff over and over. Must cleanse their system....

lamont
03-14-2017, 08:12 AM
When this site needs to generate clicks, just start a thread about the OL. Pretty much the same ole same ole. Nothing changes....guess it make some folks feel better to regurgitate the same stuff over and over. Must cleanse their system....

We havent lacked for clicks since the day we started

AROB44
03-14-2017, 08:26 AM
My bad....should have said to increase clicks....

Jack Lambert
03-14-2017, 08:30 AM
We havent lacked for clicks since the day we started

Seems like yesterday the board was asking for clicks to raise money for kids or something like that.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I have a question: Were we actually recruiting Cole Smith? It doesn't seem he was that high a profile recruit until last week. LSU and Oregon offered last week and those are still evidently his only Power 5 offers. This one is just really strange all the way around.

lamont
03-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Seems like yesterday the board was asking for clicks to raise money for kids or something like that.

we ask for people to click on the ads to help support the site in lieu of asking people to donate money to pay for the site fees and its maintenance.

We dont ask for people to click threads.

lamont
03-14-2017, 08:41 AM
I have a question: Were we actually recruiting Cole Smith? It doesn't seem he was that high a profile recruit until last week. LSU and Oregon offered last week and those are still evidently his only Power 5 offers. This one is just really strange all the way around.

Well that is what everybody is curious about. As shitty as our OL recruiting has been- why arent we recruiting him?

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Yes I was joking but Freeze said and I heard him say that he learned how to recruit from Coach O. Well we know how Freeze recruits ($).

It is still early in the process and Mullen is good for at least one rabbit out of the hat trick every signing day.

Yep, Coach O wrote the book on "making mistakes".

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Well that is what everybody is curious about. As shitty as our OL recruiting has been- why arent we recruiting him?

I don't think he has but four offers, none in state or from Memphis. It's just strange.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
I don't think he has but four offers, none in state or from Memphis. It's just strange.

I don't know but the kid is a legacy and from right up the road so what is strange is why the heck we haven't offered? I mean, hell's bells, its not like we ought to be ultra picky when recruiting OL. We already know that Hev is not going to get the "top targets" on the board anyway. Its never happened any other year so why would it this year? I'd be willing to bet that we won't sign an OL this recruiting cycle with more than 2 other P5 offers besides ours (as per usual) so committing a guy with an Oregon and LSU offer looks pretty dang good to me even if he never got another one. Vast majority of OL Hev signs do not have ANY P5 offers besides ours!

NCDawg
03-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I don't know but the kid is a legacy and from right up the road so what is strange is why the heck we haven't offered? I mean, hell's bells, its not like we ought to be ultra picky when recruiting OL. We already know that Hev is not going to get the "top targets" on the board anyway. Its never happened any other year so why would it this year? I'd be willing to bet that we won't sign an OL this recruiting cycle with more than 2 other P5 offers besides ours (as per usual) so committing a guy with an Oregon and LSU offer looks pretty dang good to me even if he never got another one. Vast majority of OL Hev signs do not have ANY P5 offers besides ours!

I don't know how reliable the article is, but it states he's one of the top 10 centers in the nation.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2017, 09:52 AM

USM and Memphis aren't P5 and they haven't offered him either. Memphis is just up the road too.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
USM and Memphis aren't P5 and they haven't offered him either. Memphis is just up the road too.

And they probably shouldn't bother. They have a near zero chance to get him anyway when he has an LSU and Oregon offer on the table. So to me whether they've offered or not is irrelevant.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2017, 10:18 AM
And they probably shouldn't bother. They have a near zero chance to get him anyway when he has an LSU and Oregon offer on the table. So to me whether they've offered or not is irrelevant.

They hadn't offered before those either. This guy may be good, but there wasn't much interest before, and still isn't from what it looks like. It's just weird.

Cooterpoot
03-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Our entire OL evaluation process is garbage. We couldn't identify a quality OL in a line-up of NFL all pros. We don't just miss, we sign shitty OL. Our belief that we can get by with mediocre OL is on Mullen.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 10:55 AM
I haven't been on this site very long but should it be renamed to WWW.ElitedawgsBitchingIncessantlyaboutOLRecruiting .com because if that is the case i will take my clicks elsewhere.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
I haven't been on this site very long but should it be renamed to WWW.ElitedawgsBitchingIncessantlyaboutOLRecruiting .com because if that is the case i will take my clicks elsewhere.

Gene's page awaits you, all the sunshine you could ever want. This thread in particular is on OL recruiting so you should expect lots of bitching.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
BAMA HAS ZERO 2018 Oline commits... ZERO aren't they who we should model our recruiting efforts after?

TrapGame
03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Can we combine the OL threads because they all boil down to the same arguments?

Cooterpoot
03-14-2017, 11:19 AM
BAMA HAS ZERO 2018 Oline commits... ZERO aren't they who we should model our recruiting efforts after?

Actually, we should be trying to exceed what they're doing, considering they own us.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 11:20 AM
clemson also has zero OL commits... clearly Bama and clemson have no idea what they are doing either and LSU will dominate them going forward.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Wasn't willie gay committed to OM in like march of last year?

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Wasn't willie gay committed to OM in like march of last year?

Yes, but Willie Gay had an MSU offer and Willie Gay's Father did not play at MSU. Cole Smith wants an MSU offer but doesn't have one.

HoopsDawg
03-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Can someone ban this guy?

NCDawg
03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Gene's page awaits you, all the sunshine you could ever want. This thread in particular is on OL recruiting so you should expect lots of bitching.

That's for sure. No divergent views on Gene's page-only sunshine pumpers.

BayouDawg
03-14-2017, 12:38 PM

Way to go guys. You've got Hev's wife riled up now.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Yes, but Willie Gay had an MSU offer and Willie Gay's Father did not play at MSU. Cole Smith wants an MSU offer but doesn't have one.

why are you assuming he will not get one? Have you spoken with Cole or his father? i'm just trying to grasp an understanding of why so much bleeding is coming out of everyone's butt in march because LSU "offered" and he committed. Just sounds like an overreaction to me... Maybe the kid saw a video of Coach O's hummer commercial and it gave him hope that he could star in one too. I'm not at all defending Hevesy and I hope we get the kid IF he is talented enough but he literally has 2 Division 1 offers. I just want you guys to be a little more happy and patient. (especially in the case of letting DJ recruit)

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Can someone ban this guy?

Why? He makes just as much sense as those bitching do.

sandwolf
03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
I don't know but the kid is a legacy and from right up the road so what is strange is why the heck we haven't offered?I know our O line recruiting sucks and I feel like the kid should have been offered too, but I could understand the coaches wanting to be completely positive that he was a take for the exact reasons you just mentioned.....he is an in state legacy from right up the road, so if he doesn't pan out we can't just pull his offer.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
I know our O line recruiting sucks and I feel like the kid should have been offered too, but I could understand the coaches wanting to be completely positive that he was a take for the exact reasons you just mentioned.....he is an in state legacy from right up the road, so if he doesn't pan out we can't just pull his offer.

I don't think we will end up needing to pull the offer but we pulled 2 instate offers last year (Gainer and the kid from Walnut) and never batted an eye. But specifically with Smith, yes he is a legacy, but whether we offer and then pull the offer OR we never offer, either way, its a burnt bridge.

dawgday166
03-14-2017, 04:23 PM

We don't need to model their recruiting. Bama gets who they want most of the time and when they want them. They swoop in on most any team not named OSU, Mich, FSU, LSU, maybe Clemson and a few select others and they'll get who they want. We ain't like that and in no way could do it. We have to have a different strategy. (And not one like the one OM has been using the last few years either.)

We have actually beaten Bama out for quite a few stud guys on D some. It seems to me with the stud D guys we get, we are on them early with a lot of love, and develop good relationships with them over time. Read Rosey's bones on GP ... always a lot of discussion on defensive stars, rbs, qbs, wrs, etc. Not too much on oline.

That kinda let's you know a little about why some folks are upset in March. That and the fact that Rankin is playing center now in spring practice instead of LT. And we're scrambling just to have enough bodies for our D line to practice against.

maroonmania
03-14-2017, 05:09 PM
We don't need to model their recruiting. Bama gets who they want most of the time and when they want them. They swoop in on most any team not named OSU, Mich, FSU, LSU, maybe Clemson and a few select others and they'll get who they want. We ain't like that and in no way could do it. We have to have a different strategy. (And not one like the one OM has been using the last few years either.)

We have actually beaten Bama out for quite a few stud guys on D some. It seems to me with the stud D guys we get, we are on them early with a lot of love, and develop good relationships with them over time. Read Rosey's bones on GP ... always a lot of discussion on defensive stars, rbs, qbs, wrs, etc. Not too much on oline.

That kinda let's you know a little about why some folks are upset in March. That and the fact that Rankin is playing center now in spring practice instead of LT. And we're scrambling just to have enough bodies for our D line to practice against.

Listening to the Boneyard its pretty obvious that Rosebowl is not very enthused about the approach we take in our OL recruiting. He is usually not very negative on our coaches about anything so you know he REALLY doesn't like something we he even hints at negativity like he does with that area of our recruiting.

Maroon Wizardry
03-14-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm gonna keep this thread going just for you guys and maybe Hev will see it... My question now is how do you guys feel about the current OL we have committed 6'9 350? Personally i think he is too big. We need guards in the 250 range not 350

Todd4State
03-14-2017, 06:18 PM
I'm gonna keep this thread going just for you guys and maybe Hev will see it... My question now is how do you guys feel about the current OL we have committed 6'9 350? Personally i think he is too big. We need guards in the 250 range not 350

I like him and I'm not too worried about his weight since he is 6'9". I don't think he will be a guard- I think he will be a tackle. He's also dropped some weight already too.

lamont
03-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Personally i think he is too big. We need guards in the 250 range not 350

The 1980's called. They said you cant have their OG's

Spiderman
03-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Ye,as I pointed out

sandwolf
03-14-2017, 10:56 PM
I don't think we will end up needing to pull the offer but we pulled 2 instate offers last year (Gainer and the kid from Walnut) and never batted an eye.Yea, that is a fair point.

But specifically with Smith, yes he is a legacy, but whether we offer and then pull the offer OR we never offer, either way, its a burnt bridge.Disagree with this though....pulling an offer is a lot different than not offering.

But like I said, I agree that the kid should have an offer. If he is good enough to get an offer from the likes of LSU and Oregon, regardless of whether or not it gets pulled, then he is a better prospect than 80% of the offensive linemen that we have signed under Mullen.

dawgday166
03-15-2017, 05:17 AM
Listening to the Boneyard its pretty obvious that Rosebowl is not very enthused about the approach we take in our OL recruiting. He is usually not very negative on our coaches about anything so you know he REALLY doesn't like something we he even hints at negativity like he does with that area of our recruiting.

I have listened (though not lately) and you're right. He isn't very "glowing" when discussing OL recruiting. He was devastated when Lashley went to Bammer. And you're also right when you say Rosie is almost always positive and building up the football coaches and how good they are on his show ... until they go somewhere else or get canned lol. Then they just didn't fit in with what Dan wanted to get done. Dan don't do no wrong to him. Him and State7 probably tight buds wrt MSU football ****

Rosie positive on Howland and Cann too ... he understands a new coach needs a little time to get his program installed and going good.

In Rosie's defense some, he a reporter and needs access. He probably don't want to piss off any of the HCs in any sport.

ETA: One thing we do need to do like Bama wrt recruiting is sign 5 Olinemen every year. Very rarely do they sign less than 5.

maroonmania
03-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Disagree with this though....pulling an offer is a lot different than not offering.

But like I said, I agree that the kid should have an offer. If he is good enough to get an offer from the likes of LSU and Oregon, regardless of whether or not it gets pulled, then he is a better prospect than 80% of the offensive linemen that we have signed under Mullen.

Point is they will be pissed either way. Agree they are probably more pissed if an existing offer gets pulled but I will stand by the fact that the bridge is essentially burnt either way. Case in point was the issue mentioned about the Grisham situation in baseball, his support was pulled because we didn't offer his son (even a walkon spot) not because we did offer something that later got pulled.