PDA

View Full Version : Sec tourney

msstate7
03-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Vandy is playing very well right now. I love drew as a coach.

MarketingBully
03-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Interesting you say that because he was the guy that Strick wanted bad and almost got. Drew changed his mind at the last minute and we got Ray.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Interesting you say that because he was the guy that Strick wanted bad and almost got. Drew changed his mind at the last minute and we got Ray.

I love drew. He'd have been a HR, not that howland isn't

msstate7
03-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Davis (OM) is becoming a star for om. Scored 19 last night and has 12 in 1st half tonight.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Can carter be our dusty Hannahs? I'd take that in a heartbeat

MarketingBully
03-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Davis (OM) is becoming a star for om. Scored 19 last night and has 12 in 1st half tonight.

I still like our players better.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 10:09 PM
I still like our players better.

I wouldn't trade Kegler for him, but Davis is better at the moment. I think Kegler ends up better though.

MarketingBully
03-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Can carter be our dusty Hannahs? I'd take that in a heartbeat

I think Carter will become our Barry Stewart. He is already developing a mid-range game and I think with some added weight he will be a similar defender.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 10:11 PM
I think Carter will become our Barry Stewart. He is already developing a mid-range game and I think with some added weight he will be a similar defender.

I'd certainly take that... randy Stewart is one of my all time favorites

MarketingBully
03-10-2017, 10:16 PM
I'd certainly take that... randy Stewart is one of my all time favorites

Our offense next year will be more attack based with Nick Weatherspoon. I don't think we have had a point guard that was described like the below. This is what ESPN analysts said about him and decribes a point guard like Westbrook to a Tee.

"Weatherspoon is a strong, physical and powerful point guard that is a terrific athlete with matching athletic ability. He is excellent at running the team and making plays in transition where he pushes that ball at high speeds. He is a good drive draw and kick passer but will not hesitate to move the ball when the defense is set. He plays in full attack mode and is very difficult for other guards to handle because of his strength and power. He can get to the rim and finish through contact seemingly at will at times. He has a nice floater, pull up jumper and can hit the open three when his feet are set. His excellent speed and quickness along with his determination and competitive sprint allows Weatherspoon to set the tone on defense with his ball pressure."

msstate7
03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Bama's gonna have an absolute monster 3 next season in key, Ingram, and sexton.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Bama's gonna have an absolute monster 3 next season in key, Ingram, and sexton.

Question, have you even seen Sexton play or are you just going by the services? I have seen Nick Weatherspoon play.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I'll also say you seem to be the biggest promoter of other team's recruits rather then ours.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 03:24 PM
So what happens next year when we make the tournament and Alabama and Auburn don't? So far, Johnson has done what Grant did. Grant only had one losing season at Alabama but Johnson is only doing what Anthony Grant did and doing it the same way Anthony Grant did with scoring 50 something points a game. In two seasons, Johnson will have taken them to two NITs and he had a ton more to work with then both Pearl and Howland combined with what Grant left him. I think we are trending up more then Alabama is. I think we have a similar season to what Arkansas did this year 23-8 and 12-6 next year. That will put us at a 7/8 seed and I think the next year we will compete for the conference championship.

msstate7
03-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Question, have you even seen Sexton play or are you just going by the services? I have seen Nick Weatherspoon play.

Haven't seen him. Very rarely are recruiting services wrong on a top 7 player in the country though

msstate7
03-11-2017, 03:29 PM
I'll also say you seem to be the biggest promoter of other team's recruits rather then ours.

2 of those 3 I listed aren't recruits... they're players that are playing very well in the sec right now.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Haven't seen him. Very rarely are recruiting services wrong on a top 7 player in the country though

The difference between Sexton and Nick Weatherspoon's rating is .8 a .9972 rating vs a .9892 rating if you are looking at 247's rating. They are also the only service that states Sexton is a PG which is incorrect. He is a combo guard. Nick Weatherspoon is a true PG. it's pretty amazing that the difference between 27 and 7 is .8 points.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 03:39 PM
2 of those 3 I listed aren't recruits... they're players that are playing very well in the sec right now.

All you have been talking about when people talk about our possible jump next year is how great Alabama is going to be with their bad ass recruiting class. It might not be in this thread but you have gushed about their recruits coming in even saying you wish we were in their situation and not ours.

msstate7
03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
The difference between Sexton and Nick Weatherspoon's rating is .8 a .9972 rating vs a .9892 rating if you are looking at 247's rating. They are also the only service that states Sexton is a PG which is incorrect. He is a combo guard. Nick Weatherspoon is a true PG. it's pretty amazing that the difference between 27 and 7 is .8 points.

Not much difference... you could look at that another way too... there's only .0012 difference between our top recruit (nick) and bama's 2nd best (petty) at .9880.

BTW, I'm not trying to down our players... I like our guys. I just like bama's better at the moment. I'm a huge fan of key's game in particular. An offseason can make a world of difference though. Hopefully a healthy Q and an offseason catapults us to the upper echelon of the sec

msstate7
03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
All you have been talking about when people talk about our possible jump next year is how great Alabama is going to be with their bad ass recruiting class. It might not be in this thread but you have gushed about their recruits coming in even saying you wish we were in their situation and not ours.

If you're gonna gush over ours, then you can't be objective and credit ours as better when rankings don't bear that out. I just don't see how we can look at our roster and say we're gonna be better than them. No one outside of our fans agrees with that

CadaverDawg
03-11-2017, 03:51 PM

In 7's defense, he balances out the sunshine you spew. He is overly negative and you are overly optimistic. I always expect a little more of our teams than 7 does, and a little less than you do, ha.

To say we're "trending up more than Bama" is simply laughable at the moment. We lost 8 of our last 10, they are red hot and almost beat UK today. Oh, and smoked us a few days ago by 20, and it could have been 30+ if they wanted it to. I love the optimism, I just think it's funny how you bash his negativity while being overly optimistic on your end, lol

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
In 7's defense, he balances out the sunshine you spew. He is overly negative and you are overly optimistic. I always expect a little more of our teams than 7 does, and a little less than you do, ha.

To say we're "trending up more than Bama" is simply laughable at the moment. We lost 8 of our last 10, they are red hot and almost beat UK today. Oh, and smoked us a few days ago by 20, and it could have been 30+ if they wanted it to. I love the optimism, I just think it's funny how you bash his negativity while being overly optimistic on your end, lol

I think what killed us this year was having to depend on 7 true freshmen. We literally had no upper classmen to balance things out. With that stated, we were still able to do some things this year and showed some positives. When IJ went down with his injury, that doomed us to the 7 game losing streak we had. We legitimately could have won 4-5 more games if IJ doesn't have his injury and if that happens everyone is excited about next year.

Alabama's situation was a lot different. Alabama had two grad transfers this year who were big for them, Taylor down low was a senior, and a number of juniors who helped Key and Ingram tremendously.

We really were the only team in the SEC that experienced what we did except Auburn. We were the second youngest team in the country and it showed.

Ari Gold
03-11-2017, 04:30 PM
No team is trending upward that doesn't make the tourney. Hell Bama isn't even on the bubble for the tourney.
Saying we are trending upward more than Bama or vice versa holds zero merit

And to be honest we are trending more upward than Bama, based on where we were in 2012 compared to now.
Bama has gone NIT 2013, 2015, 2016 and NCAA 2012. And NIT prob again this year. It's not like A Grant was having Rick Ray years.
But Saying that , Avery Johnson can coach.. no doubt. And they should good next year. But so should we.

msstate7
03-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Vandy and Arkansas will be really good next season if they can replace Kingsley and kornet. Arkansas loses Hannahs and Kingsley. Vandy loses kornet and cressler. I really think the sec is gonna be the best it's been in a long time next season.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Vandy and Arkansas will be really good next season if they can replace Kingsley and kornet. Arkansas loses Hannahs and Kingsley. Vandy loses kornet and cressler. I really think the sec is gonna be the best it's been in a long time next season.

Why not just take that stance and say the SEC is trending in the right direction instead of saying it will be hard for us to compete. If us, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, and Vandy all go to the tournament next year, that is a great thing for us and the conference.

MarketingBully
03-11-2017, 06:14 PM
The key next year will be to win big non-conference games. The SEC scheduled well but didn't win any significant non-conference games of note. Teams like Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee had tough schedules but bombed out in non conference especially Alabama and Tennessee.

Ari Gold
03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
The key next year will be to win big non-conference games. The SEC scheduled well but didn't win any significant non-conference games of note. Teams like Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee had tough schedules but bombed out in non conference especially Alabama and Tennessee.

Exacatly and if you play a soft OOC schedule you better win what few big games you have..

WPS
03-12-2017, 12:20 AM

I've heard Barford may think about going pro early too since he has a kid. Hope not though, he's looked like one of the better players in the SEC the last few weeks.

Maroons
03-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Kingsley is a huge loss for Ark. He's a 1st round talent that opens up everything else.