PDA

View Full Version : Men's basketball .........

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Since today is mostly about how bad we are I thought I'd post my best MSU basketball memories, some I was at and some I wasn't but I was alive and able to remember all of them. I missed the Babe years by a couple of years on actually being alive. These are in no particular order.

Being there to see us win the 1991 SEC title. The only MSU game I have ever been at that rivaled the atmosphere at that game was 2014 Auburn football.

Watching Richard Williams break the colts (and esp. Basketball Jones) in 1996 and mold perhaps the best MSU team in any sport in my lifetime.

Jeff Malone's shot.

Coming from WAY down to win the SEC on Bama's floor. What made that extra special was the REAL rivalry we had with Bama on the court back then.

Darryl Wilson's shot.

Brandon Vincent at the point in the zone.

Cameron Burns (a less than 50% free throw man) making two with no time left to send the game to OT against the Rebs. We eventually won the game.

Greg Carter's effort every night out.

Chuckie Evens playing point guard.

Donte Jones when he figured it out.

Being the only MSU season ticket holder with about 30 MSU people and one loud obnoxious UConn fan watching us beat UConn in a sports bar in Dunwoody on the way to the Final Four.

Swat getting the record.

The whole run to the Final Four.

Watching Lawrence Roberts play.

Whit Hughes and Russell Walters setting screens.

Mackie White!

Bob Boyd beating a Top 10 Kentucky team by going to the four corners.

Making fun of the fat guy when Auburn came to town when I was a student. THAT guy shut us up pretty quick. You might have heard of him maybe, I think his name was Charles something.

Fouling out three guys and having three more (many of them who usually didn't play much) with 4 fouls guarding and BEATING Shaq in Baton Rouge.

Beating Ole Miss in FOUR OT's.

Jamont Gordon's INSANE pass to Charles Rhodes for a dunk.

Wimp Sanderson's face every time he came to the Hump.

Georgia's Hugh Green turning a one point MSU lead with 4 seconds left into a 8 point MSU victory.

Going to all those many games for over 20 years as a season ticket holder with my late Dad.

Hit him the mouth Carl!

The big guy yelling at the refs behind the south basket.

The roar of a packed out Hump during a big game.

That huge comeback against Florida.

What's the matter Scotty? Lose it in your DRESS?

The Road Warriors.

Eric Dampier OWNING the lane on defense.

There are many more but those are just few off the top of my head.

BeardoMSU
03-10-2017, 12:15 AM
Good thread, Pool.

I was here as a member of the Pep-band, and I've got a piece of the net we cut down an hour or so later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM

BeardoMSU
03-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Also here, and also with the pep-band (you can actually see me right after Jamony's 3)....we lost the next day against Arkansas, but we definitely had fun that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-hPD3HXu4

Turfdawg67
03-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Bob Boyd yelling "Pass the ball Chauncey, dammit!"... and the Hump so quiet you could hear it all the way to the upper level.

shannondawg
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
What about Dampier intimidating Antoine Walker in the 1996 SEC tournament and Pitino making excuses for him, and then saying it was a good thing that they lost.

smootness
03-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Also here, and also with the pep-band (you can actually see me right after Jamony's 3)....we lost the next day against Arkansas, but we definitely had fun that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-hPD3HXu4

What a moment. I was with my dad up at the edge of the upper deck behind the other basket for that one. Turned out to be a great view of it.

We've had some really, really fun moments in the SEC Tournament. I was there for the championship in 02 against Alabama. Don't know if I've ever celebrated like that before or since. 96 was obviously unbelievable.

Maroon Wizardry
03-10-2017, 10:05 AM
That time Jarvis Varnado blocked a shot was probably my favorite.

Acid mouth
03-10-2017, 10:22 AM
The greatest moment was when Stansbury was ejected during the TSUN game and he did the infamous throat grab on his way out. After we won, he came out of the tunnel to a roaring Hump.

Being down almost 20 points to KY just a few minutes into the game and having Mario Austin hit a 3 pointer at the end of regulation to send it to OT. We won the game.

Derrick Zimmerman (favorite bulldog of all-time) literally sweeping the floor with a broom after sweeping TSUN.

Being at Coleman Coliseum for the regular season finale and winning the SEC regular season championship. Timmy Bowers carried the team during the final minutes. The dawg fans that made the road trip were electric.

KentuckyDawg13
03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Couple more...related:

See Coach Williams use a broom during practice to simulate the reach of the twin towers (Shaq and Roberts) of LSU...then going to the game (pep band/drummer here) and watching the team prevail as coached.

Watching Cameron Burns slam in almost every game when MSU was rebuilding from cellar dweller to SEC Champs.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2017, 11:34 AM
The greatest moment was when Stansbury was ejected during the TSUN game and he did the infamous throat grab on his way out. After we won, he came out of the tunnel to a roaring Hump.

Being down almost 20 points to KY just a few minutes into the game and having Mario Austin hit a 3 pointer at the end of regulation to send it to OT. We won the game.

Derrick Zimmerman (favorite bulldog of all-time) literally sweeping the floor with a broom after sweeping TSUN.

Being at Coleman Coliseum for the regular season finale and winning the SEC regular season championship. Timmy Bowers carried the team during the final minutes. The dawg fans that made the road trip were electric.

That UM game where Stans got tossed was one of the very few home games I didn't go to during that era. I was in Memphis doing family stuff but I do have two stories about it. I was planning on watching the game at the hotel but it wasn't carried by any station I could get there. My wife was out with the car so I couldn't find a sports bar. I was reduced to listening to it on a clock radio....and all I could get was David Kellum. He was at his smug worst when they jumped out to a big lead. That got insufferable when Stans got tossed. Then the comeback started. You could tell by the tone of his voice he knew very early on in it what was coming. It was priceless. My other story was one I either read or heard second hand. After Stans got tossed he made his way to his office in the Hump and was sitting there in something of a daze. Ron Polk came in. Stans looked at him and said that was the he had ever been tossed. Polk pulled up a chair, lit up a cigar about a yard long, and told Stans, "Don't worry about it, it happens to me all the time."

I had forgot about that Austin 3. I was there. Add that one to my list.

maroonmania
03-10-2017, 03:27 PM
I still cherish being at the last 2 regular season games for the 2004 MSU SEC basketball champions (@Vandy and @Bama). Coming back from 18 points down in the 2nd half at Bama to win the outright SEC title in 04 is probably the most NON-MState thing any MSU team has ever done in the history of MSU sports. Not only did WE not choke we won the title by making Bama choke.

NWADAWG
03-10-2017, 05:01 PM
A friend and I played Cameron 2 on 1 at the old McCarthy gym one day. He won. I drove past him for a layup. He caught it against the backboard, then bounced it off the board again to make a point. Dude could jump. Overall it was a lot of fun. He was a super nice guy.

MidTNDawg
03-10-2017, 07:32 PM
I was a student at MSU in 59-62. Basketball was most definitely fun with Babe McCarthy as coach back then. Showing my age? Not really until I add I already had a hitch in the Navy.

fader2103
03-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Timmy Bowers (my fav bball bulldog) and also screaming out down goes Frazier!