PDA

View Full Version : Notes from tonight's practice

Coach34
03-09-2017, 08:14 PM
1. Love the tempo at practice this early in the Spring. Great job by our staff of keeping people moving and coaching them up
2. Fitz is in total control out there and getting better putting the ball where it needs to be.
3. Thompson is your typical talented rookie- looks like a million dollars one play- crap the next.
4. Aeris and Gibson look good. DLee is stout but may need to drop 5 lbs
5. Love our TE's but not our WR's
6. OL is the worst group on the field and it's not close. OL injuries this Fall will decimate this team. We can't gain a yard running the ball right now. Not 1.
7. Defense is looking good- knows their assignments.
8. DL is wrecking shit
9. Sweat and Abrams won't need that 1/2 year adjustment jucos typically take. Rivers is small but plays hard.
10. Bryant and McLaurin looked really good today- as did Abrams. Those are our top 3 at safety.
11. Our CB's are dominating our WR's. No separation. Nothing down the field to be had. Dantzler is a big kid like #2 is. Safety-type body playing CB.
12. LB'ers had a good day- but the DL is making their job easy.
13. We are a big damn football team. We really are.
14. Donald Gray went out of his way to speak to some HS guys. Good guy.

In Mullen We Trust,

C34

HoopsDawg
03-09-2017, 08:31 PM
How did Todd look today? 2nd coming of Eric Moulds?

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd like to see us use Dontavian Lee as a H-Back/FB some like we used Nick Griffen a couple of years ago.

Do you think the o-line will look better with Calhoun, Jenkins, and I read that Rankin had a class and missed a lot of practice today on the line? To me, it's inevitable that we're going to have to start a freshman like Eiland or Reese next year.

Dawg61
03-09-2017, 08:39 PM

We are a gigantic football team. I like it

Coach34
03-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Todd didn't get open enough to look like anybody

Rankin was there and played Center. Calhoun and Jenkins out hurt badly- but it does let Eiland and Reese get a lot more reps. Maybe have those 2 battle at RT in the Fall- keep Jenkins at LG- and I don't know what will play RG. Maybe Williams- he would probably be next. Ain't no doubt Phillips is redshirting- and Champion needs to but I don't know if we can afford to.

We have 4 OL guys and 2 of them are hurt. Got to get 4 more ready by Sept. Ugh.

PassInterference
03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
We are a gigantic football team. I like it

Except at WR. So our WRs don't look good and the OL can't run block. Awesome.

msstate7
03-09-2017, 08:48 PM
2 TE sets gonna be more common place this year?

Who running 1st team ILB beside Leo?

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Rankin was there and played Center. Calhoun and Jenkins out hurt badly- but it does let Eiland and Reese get a lot more reps. Maybe have those 2 battle at RT in the Fall- keep Jenkins at LG- and I don't know what will play RG. Maybe Williams- he would probably be next. Ain't no doubt Phillips is redshirting- and Champion needs to but I don't know if we can afford to.

What about Story and Calhoun at the RG spot? I think both of them will start somewhere on the line.

HoopsDawg
03-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Ideally, Eiland would step up and win the RT job. Then we could go:

LT: Rankin
LG: Jenkins
C: Calhoun
RG: Reese/Story/Williams
RT: Eiland

At least we could feel reasonably good about the left side of our line.

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Except at WR. So our WRs don't look good and the OL can't run block. Awesome.

Hopefully we land Guidry this time around and Couch progresses throughout the year.

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 09:00 PM

I have a bad feeling that Dan is going to stick Eiland at LT.

msstate7
03-09-2017, 09:02 PM

Didn't someone say Reese has been lining up at RT and Eiland at LT? I can read too much into that 2 different ways: 1. Eiland is the better of the 2, thus he's at LT. 2. Reese is lining up at RT where the real opening is thus he's the most likely to be at RT when Rankin moves back to LT

Tripp McNeely
03-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Didn't someone say Reese has been lining up at RT and Eiland at LT?

Paul Jones did

chef dixon
03-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I don't see D Lee ever making a meaningful impact. Looked like the best runner we had 2 spring games ago but nothing since

Jarius
03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
I am as ready as anyone for Hev to leave but most teams in the country would struggle with 2 starters out on the ol

anubus
03-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Good to hear d line creating havoc.I'm hoping secondary becomes aggressive and locks down wrs a lot this year.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 09:18 PM
"in Mullen We Trust"

It is DAMN sure good to see that again. He may not be Nick Saben, but I truly believe he is our best chance to move beyond what we have been since I have been alive. I'm 52.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 09:19 PM
I don't see D Lee ever making a meaningful impact. Looked like the best runner we had 2 spring games ago but nothing since

A question about your handle: Why do you use the name of a Rebel?

Leeshouldveflanked
03-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Was there not a single 6'2 300 lb Center in JC this year we could have signed?

chef dixon
03-09-2017, 09:31 PM
A question about your handle: Why do you use the name of a Rebel?

Not aware of this rebel you speak of

Human Meat
03-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Lack of offensive line means you get your ass beat.

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Was there not a single 6'2 300 lb Center in JC this year we could have signed?

They probably would have redshirted anyway.

blacklistedbully
03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
I'm 52.

That's about 40 years more than I would have guessed. ;)

I kid....I kid.

Ari Gold
03-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Don't read much into Rankin at center .. during the spring with Calhoun being In the pit ..

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Not aware of this rebel you speak of

Didn't they get a guy from Winona by that name a few years ago? If I'm wrong then I apologize.

blacklistedbully
03-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Didn't they get a guy from Winona by that name a few years ago? If I'm wrong then I apologize.

Chief Dixon

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Chief Dixon

Chef vs Chief, in all honesty I never noticed the missing "i". Hopefully the guy here is a chef. I shot a game that the Chief played in in high school. My best photo of the night was of him DROPPING a pass. That's why I remember him.

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Don't read much into Rankin at center .. during the spring with Calhoun being In the pit ..

Has Calhoun ever practiced at center?

Okrastar1
03-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Chef vs Chief, in all honesty I never noticed the missing "i". Hopefully the guy here is a chef. I shot a game that the Chief played in in high school. My best photo of the night was of him DROPPING a pass. That's why I remember him.

That was Chief Brown, he was from my hometown. Good kid, just mislead!

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 10:30 PM
That was Chief Brown, he was from my hometown. Good kid, just mislead!

Yep, I remember now. Sorry Chef Dixon!

CadaverDawg
03-09-2017, 10:32 PM
****ing Hevesy gonna cost us another good season. Status quo. I can't wait for that bastard to leave.

Goldendawg
03-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Coach 34, nice to hear from you and Thanks for the update. Hail State!

lamont
03-09-2017, 11:15 PM

Calhoun was a Center in HS

Bucky Dog
03-09-2017, 11:26 PM
So can I ask why Coach34 is back now? Did the non-compete end or is the current employer OK with it?

Bucky Dog
03-09-2017, 11:26 PM
So can I ask why Coach34 is back now? Did the non-compete end or is the current employer OK with it?

Or were you drunk and signed in under the wrong name??

Homedawg
03-09-2017, 11:28 PM

I'll be shocked if Calhoun is the center.

HoopsDawg
03-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Barely. I'm legit worried about Rankin at C. Makes no sense that he is practicing there everyday.

msstate7
03-09-2017, 11:47 PM

Who you see there? Please say Jeffrey Simmons for entertainment purposes haha

maroonmania
03-09-2017, 11:54 PM

Surely its that he can't pass block.****

Todd4State
03-09-2017, 11:58 PM

I'm in the same boat as you and Hoops on that issue. And I'm not melting about it before this thread gets out of hand. Injury or not to Calhoun, it doesn't make any sense to me to have Rankin practice there and then not start him.

Barking 13
03-10-2017, 12:12 AM
I'm in the same boat as you and Hoops on that issue. And I'm not melting about it before this thread gets out of hand. Injury or not to Calhoun, it doesn't make any sense to me to have Rankin practice there and then not start him.

Well, Somebody has to snap the ball.... and does this give him any extra insight on the snap count and which way to go at his regular position at LT? Didn't he have several IP's against him last year? I mean, look at the bright side..
I can't stand that bleep bleep Hev, but have just about reserved the fact that he ain't going anywhere else unless CDM goes... I guess you gotta let him try whatever he's trying to do (except the rest of us can't figure it out) however unorthodox... it's spring and we have two linemen available...

Coach34
03-10-2017, 12:30 AM

no- you may not ask

Todd4State
03-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Well, Somebody has to snap the ball.... and does this give him any extra insight on the snap count and which way to go at his regular position at LT? Didn't he have several IP's against him last year? I mean, look at the bright side..
I can't stand that bleep bleep Hev, but have just about reserved the fact that he ain't going anywhere else unless CDM goes... I guess you gotta let him try whatever he's trying to do (except the rest of us can't figure it out) however unorthodox... it's spring and we have two linemen available...

I mean, it is what it is. It's not so much the fact that he's at center- it's the fact that he HAS to be at center now. The thing is, we could certainly have Moon snapping the ball- I think he gets processed out eventually, but still that would be more valuable to me for both Rankin and Moon. Unless they really think that Rankin is going to be the center- which is what I suspect. We can sugarcoat it all we want to- but we all know how good Rankin and Jenkins looked together at LT and LG. No one wants to break that up. But when you don't manage your recruiting and roster properly, we're all going to have to suffer.

My hope is that Looney takes over for Hevesy in the coming years as the o-line coach.

It's the spring but I wouldn't be surprised if we roll out against Charleston Southern with:

LT- Eiland
LG- Calhoun
C- Rankin
RG- Story
RT- Jenkins

gravedigger
03-10-2017, 05:15 AM
****ing Hevesy gonna cost us another good season. Status quo. I can't wait for that bastard to leave.

Cadaver, now didn't we hear the same complaint last year and how was it possible a qb lead the sec in rushing behind such a bad line?

msbulldog
03-10-2017, 06:55 AM
1. Love the tempo at practice this early in the Spring. Great job by our staff of keeping people moving and coaching them up
2. Fitz is in total control out there and getting better putting the ball where it needs to be.
3. Thompson is your typical talented rookie- looks like a million dollars one play- crap the next.
6. OL is the worst group on the field and it's not close. OL injuries this Fall will decimate this team. We can't gain a yard running the ball right now. Not 1.
8. DL is wrecking shit
9. Sweat and Abrams won't need that 1/2 year adjustment jucos typically take. Rivers is small but plays hard.
10. Bryant and McLaurin looked really good today- as did Abrams. Those are our top 3 at safety.
11. Our CB's are dominating our WR's. No separation. Nothing down the field to be had. Dantzler is a big kid like #2 is. Safety-type body playing CB.

In Mullen We Trust,

C34

Coach, somebody is impersonating you, not used to that much positivety.

Coach34
03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Cadaver, now didn't we hear the same complaint last year and how was it possible a qb lead the sec in rushing behind such a bad line?

no we didn't hear that from me. I did not attend Spring Practice last year. We also had 3 full-time starters returning last season- with Senior starting for his 3rd year in a row. We don't have that this coming season.

WinningIsRelentless
03-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Have you ever thought it was to help him to develop a better understanding of the blocking schemes. Your center is the one who is making all the adjustments at the line as far as blocking schemes go.

Jarius
03-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Last spring we looked like crap on offense and spectacular on defense and we were a horrible defensive team and ended up decent on offense. I'm not saying that will be the case this year, but you can't get a full grasp of how good we will or will not be when we have multiple people out and it's "just practice". The defense is almost always ahead of the offense in spring and summer ball.

smootness
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Coach, somebody is impersonating you, not used to that much positivety.

Oh, don't worry - he stuck that OL dig in there amidst all the glowing reports so that if we don't come out like gangbusters this year, he can point back and say that everything else is great, it is literally all on the OL.

Human Meat
03-10-2017, 09:50 AM
it is literally all on the OL.

Sounds like that is going to end up being the case, just like all of Mullen's teams since his recruits took over.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Sounds like that is going to end up being the case, just like all of Mullen's teams since his recruits took over.

Dumb

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
You gonna mention Malik Dear being in ER last night with a knee?

msstate7
03-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Ouch. If it's season ender, Myles has to be back at slot, right? I hope we do this regardless

Human Meat
03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Dumb

You cannot show one piece of evidence to the contrary.

dawgday166
03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
You cannot show one piece of evidence to the contrary.

I think 7 was trying to maybe say it isn't ALWAYS all on the OL. Last year D was very, very bad.

But I agree with you ... OL and WR's that can stretch the field seem to be our big achilles heels.

It's all good tho ... Hev gonna coach 'em up **

Tbonewannabe
03-10-2017, 10:45 AM
I think 7 was trying to maybe say it isn't ALWAYS all on the OL. Last year D was very, very bad.

But I agree with you ... OL and WR's that can stretch the field seem to be our big achilles heels.

It's all good tho ... Hev gonna coach 'em up **

How much does Looney help with getting the OL up to speed? WRs are just what they are. If they are that bad then we need to go back to the Relfcoast offense. We only had Chad Bumphis on that team that had a chance at playing WR after college. Move DLee to FB and run some 2 TE sets and grind the shit out. DGray is fast enough to take the top off the defense if they start creeping up. Hopefully Fitz is accurate enough to hit some of those passes.

lamont
03-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Looney coaches TE's

Tbonewannabe
03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
no we didn't hear that from me. I did not attend Spring Practice last year. We also had 3 full-time starters returning last season- with Senior starting for his 3rd year in a row. We don't have that this coming season.

I have seen some predictions of Rankin being one of the top LT in the SEC for the NFL Draft so that should be as good as Senior. Senior always just seemed around average for the SEC. It seems like our biggest hurdle is actually having our starters hurt and not going through Spring. What do you think the Oline looks like in August as it stands right now if we got those guys back by the summer?

Tbonewannabe
03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Looney coaches TE's

I thought he was TE/Tackles?

dawgday166
03-10-2017, 11:02 AM
How much does Looney help with getting the OL up to speed? WRs are just what they are. If they are that bad then we need to go back to the Relfcoast offense. We only had Chad Bumphis on that team that had a chance at playing WR after college. Move DLee to FB and run some 2 TE sets and grind the shit out. DGray is fast enough to take the top off the defense if they start creeping up. Hopefully Fitz is accurate enough to hit some of those passes.

One thing I thought Dan did in first 3 or so years was adapt the offense to personnel. Now he seems intent upon an offensive philosophy, regardless of personnel strengths and/or weaknesses.

Didn't know for sure about Looney but RP answered that question.

msstate7
03-10-2017, 11:32 AM
One thing I thought Dan did in first 3 or so years was adapt the offense to personnel. Now he seems intent upon an offensive philosophy, regardless of personnel strengths and/or weaknesses.

You don't think dan adapted the offense in '15 to fit our qb and WRs and then again last year to fit our running qb?

Homedawg
03-10-2017, 12:00 PM

You can say our line hasn't been up to par at points. But otherwise this is just crazy. We've adjusted based on our talent every freaking year. To say otherwise then you haven't been watching.

dawgday166
03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
You don't think dan adapted the offense in '15 to fit our qb and WRs and then again last year to fit our running qb?

You can say our line hasn't been up to par at points. But otherwise this is just crazy. We've adjusted based on our talent every freaking year. To say otherwise then you haven't been watching.

I can see y'all's point. But I'm also thinking Dan was determined for the most part of those 2 years to run Hollaway/Shump up the middle too. It took Hollaway getting hurt for that to end.

GTHOM
03-10-2017, 01:24 PM

We would be just fine on offense with that starting 5. Assuming they are healthy. Show this to Dan

GTHOM
03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
I mean, it is what it is. It's not so much the fact that he's at center- it's the fact that he HAS to be at center now. The thing is, we could certainly have Moon snapping the ball- I think he gets processed out eventually, but still that would be more valuable to me for both Rankin and Moon. Unless they really think that Rankin is going to be the center- which is what I suspect. We can sugarcoat it all we want to- but we all know how good Rankin and Jenkins looked together at LT and LG. No one wants to break that up. But when you don't manage your recruiting and roster properly, we're all going to have to suffer.

My hope is that Looney takes over for Hevesy in the coming years as the o-line coach.

It's the spring but I wouldn't be surprised if we roll out against Charleston Southern with:

LT- Eiland
LG- Calhoun
C- Rankin
RG- Story
RT- Jenkins

3 out of 5 are solid assuming they are healthy. Eiland will get better with time and Story cant be any worse than Desper was. Its not all doom and gloom, we are just shorthanded this spring due to injury. Our DL is also really damn good

dawgday166
03-10-2017, 01:34 PM
3 out of 5 are solid assuming they are healthy. Eiland will get better with time and Story cant be any worse than Desper was. Its not all doom and gloom, we are just shorthanded this spring due to injury. Our DL is also really damn good

Not saying they ain't but ... can we really tell for sure when they going up against our OL minus Calhoun/Jenkins and with Rankin playing a new position?

Can we schedule a spring scrimmage with Bama to get a true measuring stick *****

GTHOM
03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Not saying they ain't but ... can we really tell for sure when they going up against our OL minus Calhoun/Jenkins and with Rankin playing a new position?

Can we schedule a spring scrimmage with Bama to get a true measuring stick *****

I see where you're coming from but we will be good up front bc the guys that are there are either solidified SEC starters, or young and talented. We have as much depth there as we have had under Mullen. Especially if Rivers can start day 1

GTHOM
03-10-2017, 01:39 PM

IYOK??? Random???? First I've heard of this. Puts more pressure on younger guys and Myles if so

justwin
03-10-2017, 02:32 PM
8. DL is wrecking shit

In Mullen We Trust,

C34

2017 will be Mullen's most talented team, especially on D. Plus, two hardest games are at home ~ LSU/Bama. I'm not sure Grantham is better than Collins, but he's just as good @ DC. We have at least one NFL draftee OL in Rankin which is good, to build around. Jenkins could get drafted in two years too. I like hearing #2 on Fitz ~ any add'l notes on him would be appreciated.

Any news on Fletcher Adams?

mstatefan91
03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
So I take from this that OL will be what OL typically is.. average at best and everything else (besides receivers so far) has an upside. I can live with it. Really hope this team can put together a nice 8-9 win season.

Ari Gold
03-10-2017, 03:09 PM
IYOK??? Random???? First I've heard of this. Puts more pressure on younger guys and Myles if so

He got hurt in a drill.. not sure how bad. May be nothing to it. No need to speculate right now..
If Dear misses spring camp not that big a deal.. will give Mixon , Thomas, Charles more reps.

maroonmania
03-10-2017, 03:17 PM
2017 will be Mullen's most talented team, especially on D. Plus, two hardest games are at home ~ LSU/Bama. I'm not sure Grantham is better than Collins, but he's just as good @ DC. We have at least one NFL draftee OL in Rankin which is good, to build around. Jenkins could get drafted in two years too. I like hearing #2 on Fitz ~ any add'l notes on him would be appreciated.

Any news on Fletcher Adams?

Well he certainly has WAY more experience running a defense at the P5 level than Collins. I'm sure Collins is now a much better DC even than when we had him just based on all of the extra experience he has gained running the show and making defensive calls.

lamont
03-10-2017, 04:01 PM
2017 is not more talented than 2014 or 2010

HSVDawg
03-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Not really. Dear has largely been a nonfactor at WR for two years, as most RB's playing WR are. Never been a bigger misuse of a talented player in Mullen's tenure than Malik Dear.

smootness
03-10-2017, 04:40 PM

We didn't realize just how talented we were going into either of those years, either, especially 2010.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Not supposed to be anything serious.

Bothrops
03-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Well.. he could have.

Maroons
03-10-2017, 05:56 PM

2018 will be. Almost the entire team back.

Homedawg
03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Well.. he could have.

Maybe so. But in this case most of the blame is on him. He still has time to be a productive player. But I'm sure based on your post - he just shoulda been playing because...a we know Mullen never ever plays underclassmen*** even though that's been shot down a thousand times.

Homedawg
03-10-2017, 06:45 PM

I agree that this is possible.

Commercecomet24
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Not supposed to be anything serious.

That's good news!

lamont
03-10-2017, 10:03 PM
We didn't realize just how talented we were going into either of those years, either, especially 2010.

Speak for yourself

lamont
03-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Now this could certainly be true

GTHOM
03-11-2017, 01:21 AM

Thats arguable. We have more talent offensively than we did in 2010 for sure. I think this year for Fitz will be a lot like Dak's 2014, makes national noise wins big games etc. I think this defense could be better than the 2014 largely bc we did the stupidass 1A/1B that year. 2010 defense was nasty hopefully we can be that good again if not better.

lamont
03-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Thats arguable. We have more talent offensively than we did in 2010 for sure. I think this year for Fitz will be a lot like Dak's 2014, makes national noise wins big games etc. I think this defense could be better than the 2014 largely bc we did the stupidass 1A/1B that year. 2010 defense was nasty hopefully we can be that good again if not better.

We had a future NFL TB in 2010
We had 2 future draft picks on the OL including a 1st rounder in 2010- plus other numerous talented OL guys with plenty of starts
We had an absolute beast at QB that was very physical.
We had an accomplished juco Kicker that a good college kicker
Our 2010 defense was loaded- with alot of future NFL players

2014 was also way more talented than 2017. Better at QB, RB, WR, OL, LB, and CB

Not sure how people can be so randy about 2017 when we struggled to beat a 6-6 nobody in a turd bowl in December. We may be a little better in 2017 than 2016- but we have alot of holes still. 2018 is going to be our chance at 10 wins again- but there wont be any guarantees we can get 10 then either.

Reason2succeed
03-11-2017, 02:17 AM
We had 2 future draft picks on the OL including a 1st rounder in 2010- plus other numerous talented OL guys with plenty of starts

Not sure how people can be so randy about 2017 when we struggled to beat a 6-6 nobody in a turd bowl in December. We may be a little better in 2017 than 2016- but we have alot of holes still. 2018 is going to be our chance at 10 wins again- but there wont be any guarantees we can get 10 then either.

I can't really argue with you because you know the future.

Obviously when you take people's career accomplishments and compare to the current team it will be lopsided. Heck by your logic every previous Bama team is better than the ones that followed.

How do you know what these OL will do? Did you predict Justin Senior going to the Combine and potentially being drafted? Did you know D'Runnya was going to be a college star and totally miss the NFL when he signed? How do you know Reggie Todd won't be a beast or Dantzler be the next Smoot? It might not be likely but you don't know.

lamont
03-11-2017, 11:00 AM
I can't really argue with you because you know the future.

Obviously when you take people's career accomplishments and compare to the current team it will be lopsided. Heck by your logic every previous Bama team is better than the ones that followed.

How do you know what these OL will do? Did you predict Justin Senior going to the Combine and potentially being drafted? Did you know D'Runnya was going to be a college star and totally miss the NFL when he signed? How do you know Reggie Todd won't be a beast or Dantzler be the next Smoot? It might not be likely but you don't know.

We have a few talented guys- no doubt. But here is what you guys constantly miss:

2010 and 2014 had something in common- a bunch of veteran offensive linemen that had started multiple seasons together. That is absolutely huge for a football team- especially one that is a developmental football program. In 2010- we had some draft picks on the OL playing together for multiple seasons with 25-30 starts under their belts- along with a battering ram QB and an NFL TB. In 2014, we had an NFL QB along with an NFL TB- running behind an OL that 2 guys starting for their 4th season, 30 plus starts each- plus others that had started alot.

2017 has some good parts- but we are not overly talented at WR- I dont see Gray, Myles, or Dear being drafted plus not 1 player on our OL started a full season. Rankin has started 10 games, Story 2 and didnt play the last half of 2017- same for Williams. Moon has never started, Jenkins started 5 games in 16 and a couple in 15 because we were so bad, Calhoun has made 9 starts but is missing Spring. Eiland hasnt played a college snap- neither has Reese. So thats a huge deal for us- especially early in the season as we play LSU, @Georgia, and @Auburn in games 3-5. It took us over half the season to gel on the OL in 2016- and that was with 3 starters returning, another that had made a couple of starts, and a former juco AA that had RS'ed.

When you are a developmental program as we are- you dont plug and place- especially on the OL. Throw in 2017's hardass schedule- and its not hard to see why people need to temper the enthusiasm.

NCDawg
03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
We have a few talented guys- no doubt. But here is what you guys constantly miss:

2010 and 2014 had something in common- a bunch of veteran offensive linemen that had started multiple seasons together. That is absolutely huge for a football team- especially one that is a developmental football program. In 2010- we had some draft picks on the OL playing together for multiple seasons with 25-30 starts under their belts- along with a battering ram QB and an NFL TB. In 2014, we had an NFL QB along with an NFL TB- running behind an OL that 2 guys starting for their 4th season, 30 plus starts each- plus others that had started alot.

2017 has some good parts- but we are not overly talented at WR- I dont see Gray, Myles, or Dear being drafted plus not 1 player on our OL started a full season. Rankin has started 10 games, Story 2 and didnt play the last half of 2017- same for Williams. Moon has never started, Jenkins started 5 games in 16 and a couple in 15 because we were so bad, Calhoun has made 9 starts but is missing Spring. Eiland hasnt played a college snap- neither has Reese. So thats a huge deal for us- especially early in the season as we play LSU, @Georgia, and @Auburn in games 3-5. It took us over half the season to gel on the OL in 2016- and that was with 3 starters returning, another that had made a couple of starts, and a former juco AA that had RS'ed.

When you are a developmental program as we are- you dont plug and place- especially on the OL. Throw in 2017's hardass schedule- and its not hard to see why people need to temper the enthusiasm.

We will be a "developmental program" as long as we have the current OL coach.

justwin
03-11-2017, 04:04 PM

what's missing from your argument is the one common thing with 2010/2014 compared to every other Mullen team ~ big powerful RBs featured. Vick & J-Rob negated the whole OL argument & people don't want to hear this, but J-Rob is why we got to #1 in 2014. Dak helped, but J-Rob flat out embarrassed LSU & propelled us. From 2011 to 2013, 2015 & 2016, we featured small RBs and that's why we lost close games we shouldn't have, namely LSU. Under Mullen, we're always going to have an avg OL with "developed" guys with an NFL guy here or there. It is what it is, sucks mostly. 2010 we had an NFL guy in Sherrod and a young, green future NFL guy in Gabe. 2017 will have a senior NFL guy in Rankin and a future NFL guy in Jenkins. 2014 OL was all no-name guys so I don't see 2017 being any worse, we had Rufus Warren @ LT of all things.

It's a RB usage problem, not OL. Big, powerful RBs negate the need for star studded OL. Ask UGA, Aub, LSU, etc. they understand that & always have. Mullen forgets that ~ it's one of his few major flaws. Mullen gets big, powerful RBs on campus though, just doesn't use them enuff like he should.

In terms of talent, it's QB/RB/DL in the SEC ~ that's what wins. Ralph vs Dak vs Fitz ~ going into their jrs based on soph years, gimme Fitz excluding hindsight. Ralph was another RB. Dak only got on the field as a soph once Tyler kept getting hurt. Fitz had no comp as a soph and showed out, breaking Dak's records. Vick vs J-Rob vs Aeris = they're all great. Aeris was former MS POY so I expect big year from him like Vick & J-Rob. sr McPhee & young Fletch vs Preston & young C.Jones vs young Simmons & Cory & Sweat all get you to the same place, but got to give the slight edge to 2010 with McPhee & young Fletch. Fletch's jr year was when he shined. Diaz vs Collins vs Grantham...probably all get to the same place there too.

But yeah, 2014 WRs best ever. Being more specific, #1 was the best evah. Ross played the marque spot in Mullen's O, like Bump & Lewis before him, but couldn't overtake Lewis until he got hurt. 2017 has bigger bodies than ever though ~ Todd, Couch, Austin W ~ potentially (a big "potential) clones of #1.

SEC W scheduling is always hard. LSU game is all that matters, early. We have them in Starkville in 2017 so there's that. Stop Guice b/c he's going to get it 35+ times and beat them @ home, then @ UGA and @ Aub aren't auto losses like many of the uninformed rank & file reporters will predict during SEC summer media days.

justwin
03-11-2017, 04:09 PM
We will be a "developmental program" as long as we have the current OL coach.

All I want from Hevesy is to sign the top 4 of 5 MS HS OL every year. He doesn't want to croot, fine. Just stay within state lines and go truly scout the top 5 and get 4 of them. Missing one or two MS OL annually has hurt no doubt. Mullen is not going to fire him. it is what it is. Then, just play the biggest, baddest RB on the roster regardless of age. Kylin Hill should play this year..no question. Between Aeris / Gibson / Lee / Hill we should black & blue teams.

Todd4State
03-11-2017, 04:19 PM
what's missing from your argument is the one common thing with 2010/2014 compared to every other Mullen team ~ big powerful RBs featured. Vick & J-Rob negated the whole OL argument & people don't want to hear this, but J-Rob is why we got to #1 in 2014. Dak helped, but J-Rob flat out embarrassed LSU & propelled us. From 2011 to 2013, 2015 & 2016, we featured small RBs and that's why we lost close games we shouldn't have, namely LSU. Under Mullen, we're always going to have an avg OL with "developed" guys with an NFL guy here or there. It is what it is, sucks mostly. 2010 we had an NFL guy in Sherrod and a young, green future NFL guy in Gabe. 2017 will have a senior NFL guy in Rankin and a future NFL guy in Jenkins. 2014 OL was all no-name guys so I don't see 2017 being any worse, we had Rufus Warren @ LT of all things.

It's a RB usage problem, not OL. Big, powerful RBs negate the need for star studded OL. Ask UGA, Aub, LSU, etc. they understand that & always have. Mullen forgets that ~ it's one of his few major flaws. Mullen gets big, powerful RBs on campus though, just doesn't use them enuff like he should.

In terms of talent, it's QB/RB/DL in the SEC ~ that's what wins. Ralph vs Dak vs Fitz ~ going into their jrs based on soph years, gimme Fitz excluding hindsight. Ralph was another RB. Dak only got on the field as a soph once Tyler kept getting hurt. Fitz had no comp as a soph and showed out, breaking Dak's records. Vick vs J-Rob vs Aeris = they're all great. Aeris was former MS POY so I expect big year from him like Vick & J-Rob. sr McPhee & young Fletch vs Preston & young C.Jones vs young Simmons & Cory & Sweat all get you to the same place, but got to give the slight edge to 2010 with McPhee & young Fletch. Fletch's jr year was when he shined. Diaz vs Collins vs Grantham...probably all get to the same place there too.

But yeah, 2014 WRs best ever. Being more specific, #1 was the best evah. Ross played the marque spot in Mullen's O, like Bump & Lewis before him, but couldn't overtake Lewis until he got hurt. 2017 has bigger bodies than ever though ~ Todd, Couch, Austin W ~ potentially (a big "potential) clones of #1.

SEC W scheduling is always hard. LSU game is all that matters, early. We have them in Starkville in 2017 so there's that. Stop Guice b/c he's going to get it 35+ times and beat them @ home, then @ UGA and @ Aub aren't auto losses like many of the uninformed rank & file reporters will predict during SEC summer media days.

I agree with you 100% about the running backs situation. It's why I cringe when I see the recruiting reporters say "MSU is looking for a scatback". I'm fine with scatbacks as role players, but not as the primary back. The SEC is too good and too physical and we need to feature a back like a Ballard, Robinson, Aeris- or ideally a JJ Johnson who is my personal favorite.

As far as the o-line, I don't disagree with your assessment about it under Dan. But it sucks because we have shown that we can recruit and develop that position group better under much lesser coaches than Dan.

I do think that Todd Grantham is a reason why we might outperform RP's expectations. Dan has never really had a DC like him that was at the same stage and Grantham is in his career. Manny and Geoff were pretty good- but they were also young and just starting out. Except maybe the year we had Manny on his comeback tour. We had Manny at his best in 2010. And we had Geoff on the rise in 2014- but I think if he had to do it over he wouldn't do the 1A/1B stuff which really hurt us against Alabama and Ole Miss. That's a youth mistake.

Of course, the two big questions about the defense are how quickly we pick up Grantham's defense and also how quickly can the JUCO's help us?

Todd4State
03-11-2017, 04:21 PM
All I want from Hevesy is to sign the top 4 of 5 MS HS OL every year. He doesn't want to croot, fine. Just stay within state lines and go truly scout the top 5 and get 4 of them. Missing one or two MS OL annually has hurt no doubt. Mullen is not going to fire him. it is what it is. Then, just play the biggest, baddest RB on the roster regardless of age. Kylin Hill should play this year..no question. Between Aeris / Gibson / Lee / Hill we should black & blue teams.

I agree. People can say what they want about MS o-linemen- but we're a developmental program anyway. And it sucks when I see Alabama (Lashley, Steen, Womack) and LSU (Charles) coming into Mississippi and taking linemen every year and it works out for them in the long run. Not to mention what we have lost to Ole Miss over the years.

If he gets one 4 star recruit o-lineman a year, I think it will improve our line over time a good bit.

smootness
03-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Speak for yourself

Please.

lamont
03-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Please.

Please What? I read C34's SEC predictions here for 2014 predicting State 2nd in the SEc West:

"2. Miss State- Best team Dan Mullen has fielded yet. The Bulldogs return 8 starters on offense led by the dynamic Dakota Prescott. Prescott will be vying to be the SEC's best at the QB position. A very good runner, Prescott got better as the year went by last year as a passer. He has done nothing but impress scouts and others around college football during Spring Practice and then at the Manning Passing Academy. At RB, Josh Robinson finally gets his time to shine. A bowling ball of a runner, Robinson has averaged 6 ypc for his career. He and Prescott make an imposing backfield. Robinson will get some help from Ashton Shumpert, Nick Griffin, and freshman Aeris Williams.
The Bulldogs return their entire WR corps and that group is fairly talented. Lewis and Wilson are the top 2, but they have some other solid pieces. Malcolm Johnson is a solid SEC TE, and juco transfer Darion Hutcherson will do nothing but make that group better. The OL returns 4 starters (one who was injured for most of 2013) and has a little depth. State definitely needs their OL to stay relatively healthy- but that is true of most teams.
Defensively, State has an elite defense. This group that finished 16th in the country last season, returns 23 of their top 26 players. The DL will be hell on the right side with Chris Jones at DT and Preston Smith at DE. Look for Ryan Brown to breakout at DE on the left side. The LB'ers are as good as it gets as a group. Potential 1st round pick Bernardrick McKinney leads this group, along with Bennie Brown and Matthew Wells. The Secondary is led by playmaker Taveze Calhoun who is joined by 2 other good CB's in Love and Redmond. Hughes and Cox should start the Safety positions. This D is good and has lots of depth.

The schedule also favors State in 2014- swing games vs Auburn and A&M are in Starkville at Jackie Sherrill Stadium, and the Dawgs get UPig at home plus Vandy and Kentucky from the East. Mullen has to find a way to win in T-Town, Baton Rouge, or Oxford to make this a truly special season. They have the week off to get ready for A&M- that's huge.

Seems like he knew- so thats why I said "speak for yourself"

msstate7
03-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Please What? I read C34's SEC predictions here for 2014 predicting State 2nd in the SEc West:

"2. Miss State- Best team Dan Mullen has fielded yet. The Bulldogs return 8 starters on offense led by the dynamic Dakota Prescott. Prescott will be vying to be the SEC's best at the QB position. A very good runner, Prescott got better as the year went by last year as a passer. He has done nothing but impress scouts and others around college football during Spring Practice and then at the Manning Passing Academy. At RB, Josh Robinson finally gets his time to shine. A bowling ball of a runner, Robinson has averaged 6 ypc for his career. He and Prescott make an imposing backfield. Robinson will get some help from Ashton Shumpert, Nick Griffin, and freshman Aeris Williams.
The Bulldogs return their entire WR corps and that group is fairly talented. Lewis and Wilson are the top 2, but they have some other solid pieces. Malcolm Johnson is a solid SEC TE, and juco transfer Darion Hutcherson will do nothing but make that group better. The OL returns 4 starters (one who was injured for most of 2013) and has a little depth. State definitely needs their OL to stay relatively healthy- but that is true of most teams.
Defensively, State has an elite defense. This group that finished 16th in the country last season, returns 23 of their top 26 players. The DL will be hell on the right side with Chris Jones at DT and Preston Smith at DE. Look for Ryan Brown to breakout at DE on the left side. The LB'ers are as good as it gets as a group. Potential 1st round pick Bernardrick McKinney leads this group, along with Bennie Brown and Matthew Wells. The Secondary is led by playmaker Taveze Calhoun who is joined by 2 other good CB's in Love and Redmond. Hughes and Cox should start the Safety positions. This D is good and has lots of depth.

The schedule also favors State in 2014- swing games vs Auburn and A&M are in Starkville at Jackie Sherrill Stadium, and the Dawgs get UPig at home plus Vandy and Kentucky from the East. Mullen has to find a way to win in T-Town, Baton Rouge, or Oxford to make this a truly special season. They have the week off to get ready for A&M- that's huge.

Seems like he knew- so thats why I said "speak for yourself"

Where's the link? I'd like to read the thread

lamont
03-11-2017, 05:58 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?19000-C34-s-SEC-West-preview-2014&highlight=UPig

msstate7
03-11-2017, 06:09 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?19000-C34-s-SEC-West-preview-2014&highlight=UPig

Thought it was more of a prediction thread for the whole board. Solid prediction

lamont
03-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Thought it was more of a prediction thread for the whole board. Solid prediction

I'm sure that exists- use the search function

Todd4State
03-11-2017, 06:32 PM
It does seem like we could be trending going into 2018 as long as no one goes to the NFL that probably shouldn't- like Robinson and Bear did.

We should have:

Fifth year senior QB in Fitz and Aeris will be a senior. Lee will be a senior and then we have Gibson and Hill backing him up.

We should have Dear back as a senior, and that should be his best year in terms of production. Hopefully Couch and Todd will progress and then start in their third year in the program. I like their upside. It would be really good if we could pick up Guidry because I think he would probably start over Todd to go along with Couch. If Dontae Jones keeps losing weight, he may end up in the WR mix too in 2018. I'd like to see us use Nero Nelson in the slot although it sounds like he would he a CB but I think that also depends on how our guys look this year and what we get in recruiting, so I think that's a fluid situation. I really like Deddrick Thomas and Keith Mixon and they will both be juniors in 2018.

At TE, Green will be a junior and Justin Johnson will be a senior and then we will have the aforementioned Dontae Jones. Another solid veteran group.

On the o-line we'll return Jenkins, Calhoun, and Story who will all have a lot of experience. Hopefully Champion will be ready by then and we'll see who wins the other spot this year between Eiland and Reese- but whoever that us will have some more experience. We need to get at least one JUCO o-lineman who can actually come in and start right away but we all know how that usually goes for us under Hevesy.

On d-line we'll have Simmons back for his junior year along with Fletcher Adams and then our JUCO's will have been through a year of the SEC. We should be two deep there with a lot of experience plus another year of being in Grantham's system.

LB's coming back should be Sweat, Leo, and Green who will all be juniors or seniors. Erroll Thompson and Willie Gay will probably be battling for the other ILB spot.

At CB Peters will be a senior and he will have two years of playing CB under his belt. I could see Cam Dantzler taking over the other CB spot although we might get another JUCO if Nelson isn't the guy already. I liked Chris Stamps when he was in high school but he has battled injuries so we'll see about him.

The safety group should be really strong with Bryant (maybe), McLaurin, Abrams, and Cole.

K/P is question for me at this point regarding 2018 but I guess Brad Wall, Schexnader, and Tucker Day will be the main candidates. Thomas and Mixon should be pretty good return guys.

lamont
03-11-2017, 07:05 PM
That's good news!

I'm hearing different. Nothing official yet- but we may be without Dear in 2017. I hope what I'm hearing is wrong

GTHOM
03-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Aeris Williams is a future NFL RB
Elgton Jenkins, Martinas Rankin are both NFL OL. Possibly Deion Calhoun as well.
Fitz>>>>>>>>>>>Relf not even a debate
Just signed a good K. We'll see
LL, Simmons, Peters, I could go on. We will put some Sunday guys on the field on D in 2017

Overall none of it matters if our OL cant block. See 2015

Commercecomet24
03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
I'm hearing different. Nothing official yet- but we may be without Dear in 2017. I hope what I'm hearing is wrong

Geez I hope it's wrong too!

MaroonFlounder
03-11-2017, 10:25 PM
8. DL is wrecking shit

In Mullen We Trust,

C34

I'm sorry, but I will curb my enthusiasm on anything Brandon Bryant-related.

And we were told last year that the D-Line was going to wreck shit.....and they didn't wreck, well....shit.

Agree on the O-Line...garbage. Huge liability.

preachermatt83
03-11-2017, 10:35 PM

ACL is what I hear

BayouDawg
03-11-2017, 10:36 PM
ACL is what I hear

Good that means it's probably the sniffles**