PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss really is the plantation.

Pinto
03-09-2017, 05:16 PM
5. Barnard Observatory, Croft Hall, the Lyceum, and Hilgard Cut ? plaque to be placed just west of Croft, within sight of the three buildings, noting that these four projects were constructed with slave labor

Jeffrey S. Vitter
Chancellor and
Distinguished Professor
March 9, 2017
I am writing today to clarify misperceptions about the Chancellor?s Advisory Committee on History and Context and its work. I refer everyone to my June 10, 2016 letter, which explains in detail the importance of the work, the progress made, and the committee?s remaining work. Feedback on the letter was very positive. We have since been doing exactly what the letter laid out, and we will continue to do so.

I would first like to provide clarification on what contextualization is and what it is not. When we say that we are contextualizing a building, it means that we will provide historical and well-documented facts about the site that explain the environment in which it was created or named. Contextualization does not mean that a building is being renamed. In our case, the only renaming being sought is for Vardaman Hall.

The work of the CACHC is limited to physical sites that need contextualization. The June 10 letter provides important background on this entire process, as well as related issues. For example, the letter explained the process behind the contextualization of the Confederate statue and gave the revised wording of the plaque, which was installed in October. The letter also made it very clear that we will continue to use the terms ?Ole Miss? and ?Rebels? as positive and endearing nicknames for the University of Mississippi.

As detailed in the June 10 letter, the committee?s charge is twofold:
1. to recommend which Oxford campus physical sites should be contextualized, and
2. to design the content and format to contextualize the recommended sites.

In December 2016, the CACHC completed the first part of its two-part charge and forwarded me a recommended list of sites for contextualization. On Feb. 22, 2017, after reviewing with the university leadership team, I gave the committee the finalized list of sites to contextualize:
1. Lamar Hall
2. Barnard Observatory
3. Longstreet Hall
4. George Hall
5. Barnard Observatory, Croft Hall, the Lyceum, and Hilgard Cut ? plaque to be placed just west of Croft, within sight of the three buildings, noting that these four projects were constructed with slave labor
Two other actions will be taken: We will seek to rename Vardaman Hall through university processes, subject to IHL approval. Vardaman Hall was already approved for renovation by the IHL board last spring. And we will make a sign clarification at Paul B. Johnson Commons by adding ?Sr.? to clarify that it is named after Paul B. Johnson Sr.

The second and final part of the committee?s work, which consists of recommending wording for the contextualization of items 1-5 listed above, will be completed as a single unit and submitted to me by May 31, 2017.

The CACHC members were chosen from nominations based upon clearly enunciated criteria around essential areas of expertise. We specifically avoided basing representation upon constituency groups.

I also charged the CACHC to ensure wide community input and engagement. Last fall, during the first phase of its work, the committee used an online form to solicit wide community input about suggested sites to contextualize. As the committee turns to the second part of its charge, it is again seeking community input via an online form, this time to collect thoughts and suggestions about contextualization for the items listed above. I encourage you to use the form by March 31 to provide your input.

Additionally, the committee announced two live listening sessions, the first of which occurred March 6 on campus. The second is scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m. March 23 at Burns-Belfry Museum. Please consider attending to lend your voice to the conversation.

I would like to close by recognizing the dedicated work of the CACHC as an invaluable contribution to our university community. We must embrace the responsibility of understanding our past so that we can focus upon our important mission as a flagship university: to create a bright and vibrant future for our state, nation, and world. I appreciate your continued support.

Sincerely,
Chancellor Signature
Jeffrey S. Vitter

Lyceum 123 | Phone: +1 (662) 915-7111 | chancellor@OleMiss.edu

Copyright 2016, The University of Mississippi
P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677 USA

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2017, 05:31 PM
#Flagship or #Slaveship?

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I see nothing wrong with that. It ain't pretty but it's history that needs to be told. The problem up there is a lot of them still have that plantation mentality.

TrapGame
03-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Just four buildings were constructed with slave labor? I would have thought more than that.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Just four buildings were constructed with slave labor? I would have thought more than that.

That may be all that are left from the antebellum period.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm not that familiar with that campus. How likely are you to run into the new plaque if you are strolling around the campus?

Goldendawg
03-09-2017, 06:14 PM
My dad was a Staff Sargent in the Ms National Guard that was called out the first night of the riots and had to stay a few weeks. He said the campus wasn't that pretty that night and many weeks afterward. Wonder if they will have a plaque explaining how the bullet holes got into the columns on the Lyceum, or is it the Lie-see-um now?

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 06:25 PM
My dad was a Staff Sargent in the Ms National Guard that was called out the first night of the riots and had to stay a few weeks. He said the campus wasn't that pretty that night and many weeks afterward. Wonder if they will have a plaque explaining how the bullet holes got into the columns on the Lyceum, or is it the Lie-see-um now?

I know a couple of guys here who got called out for that. Those stories are sickening. Both of the ones I know who talk about it are MSU guys. I suspect I might know a few Confederates who got called up who won't.

Goldendawg
03-09-2017, 06:36 PM
The national media and the 30 for 30 broadcast gave the credit for saving Meredith that 1st night to US Army troops. If not for the Ms National Guard units there the first night it might have been very tragic. The local Ms Guard troops were Federalized and did their duty and got little credit for it. My Dad left that night to get him enrolled. Our neighbor up the street was a Hwy Patrolman and was called out by Gov Barnett to keep him out. Irony and a sign of the times. Lots of National Guardsmen were disgusted by the events and didn't re-up. Dad said they had to search dorms with fixed bayonets and gas masks (before Tunsil style!) and no ammo.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-09-2017, 08:07 PM
If you are too young to really have seen or learned much from when the National Guard was called in with Meredith, please take a look at this. Historical time for the state of Mississippi that we are still paying for the repercussions to this day. All thanks to Ole Miss. Have they ever done anything worthwhile in the history of their school?

https://vimeo.com/72898413

TrapGame
03-09-2017, 08:24 PM
That may be all that are left from the antebellum period.

Did Sherman burn ole miss?***

DancingRabbit
03-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Did Sherman burn ole miss?***

Nah, lousy architects and poor engineering.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 09:23 PM
If you are too young to really have seen or learned much from when the National Guard was called in with Meredith, please take a look at this. Historical time for the state of Mississippi that we are still paying for the repercussions to this day. All thanks to Ole Miss. Have they ever done anything worthwhile in the history of their school?

https://vimeo.com/72898413
Short answer, NO. They and what they represent and perpetuate are what have held this state back since well before 1865. If what they perpetuate ceased to exist Mississippi would take a GIANT leap forward.

Goldendawg
03-09-2017, 10:08 PM
My Dad would be 81 if he was alive, died too young at 58, was a proud Superdawg and very early member of the Bulldog Club. Loved MSU. He said Belmont Ms Guard was the first unit there (not his unit - most small Ms towns had guard units in those days). He said every shred of glass was broken out of Belmont's vehicles as they drove under overpasses onto the campus. Dad, a Staff Sargent had been in the guard since a teen. Said they really caught it from the rioters that 1st night who thought they were Federal troops. He said the next morning when they saw the DD patch (D's back to back, Dixie Division - can't type it) on their uniforms the next morning things were better as they realized that they were local MS. troops. Said before it was over there were about 30K troops in Oxford. He stayed about a month. Said they stopped out of state cars from all over the country at roadblocks "coming to help". I was in grammar school and Mom took us out of school and to mu Grandmother's in another town. we watched Bill Landers on Channel 9 every night to try to get news. I'm proud of what he and his fellow guardsmen did, the rioters absolutely not! I still have Dad's green "Dixie Division" uniform shirt in my closet. I still miss going to State games with him, although I carry my teenage son and family has sat together as season ticket holders since the early "70's. Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 10:14 PM
My Dad would be 81 if he was alive, died too young at 58, was a proud Superdawg and very early member of the Bulldog Club. Loved MSU. He said Belmont Ms Guard was the first unit there (not his unit - most small Ms towns had guard units in those days). He said every shred of glass was broken out of Belmont's vehicles as they drove under overpasses onto the campus. Dad, a Staff Sargent has been in the guard since a teen. Said they really caught it from the rioters that 1st night who thought they were Federal troops. He said the nest morning when they saw the DD patch (D's back to back, Dixie Division - can't type it) on their uniforms the next morning things were better as they realized that they were local MS. troops. Said before it was over there were about 30K troops in Oxford. He stayed about a month. Said they stopped out of state cars from all over the country at roadblocks "coming to help". I was in grammar school and Mom took us out of school and to mu Grandmother's in another town. we watched Bill Landers on Channel 9 every night to try to get news. I'm proud of what he and his fellow guardsmen did, the rioters absolutely not! I still have Dad's green "Dixie Division" uniform shirt in my closet. I still miss going to State games with him, although I carry my teenage son and family has sat together as season ticket holders since the early "70's. Hail State!
Great story. One that needs to be kept alive despite what the Plantation would like to see.

Goldendawg
03-09-2017, 10:25 PM
No matter what someone wants to think, say, or write, you can't change history. "Those who forget it, are doomed to repeat it."