PDA

View Full Version : Another strong TJ rumor...

CadaverDawg
03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Hearing strong rumor that Kale Breaux gonna need Tommy John.

I know many were speculating injury, but it's starting to finally look like another TJ.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Not that I think anyone on our campus is responsible for these injuries, but I'd be terrified to sign with us if I were a pitcher. Better believe it's being used against us in recruiting

Coldsleeve Jr.
03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Make it stop

starkvegasdawg
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
At this rate we're going to be out of pitchers by mid April.

Todd4State
03-08-2017, 09:02 PM
I've heard a similar rumor as well.

Todd4State
03-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Not that I think anyone on our campus is responsible for these injuries, but I'd be terrified to sign with us if I were a pitcher. Better believe it's being used against us in recruiting

Since we've had a complete staff turnover- it's very easy to refute. Also, I'm pretty sure that we'll use the fact that we've put Holder, Graveman, Girodo, Lindgren, Stratton, and we're about to put Woodruff and then had Hudson drafted as a first round pick for us in recruiting.

And as crazy as this sound- there is an opportunity here for us because if we get these guys to rehab well and some of them recover and go on to pro ball that could be something that we could use as a positive as common as Tommy John is right now.

GTHOM
03-08-2017, 09:12 PM
I cant do 2015 all over again

msstate7
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
I cant do 2015 all over again

We're 7-6. Just skip this season and take up bird watching, yoga, or collecting stamps. Join us again June 1st. If you take my advice, you'll enjoy this baseball season much more

I seen it dawg
03-08-2017, 09:40 PM
I thought this was known a week or so ago..

The Federalist Engineer
03-08-2017, 09:54 PM
I thought this was known a week or so ago..

Yep, this was even reported by "Mississippi State Baseball Fan", the most optimistic man alive

Cooterpoot
03-08-2017, 09:54 PM
It's not a rumor. Been known for a couple weeks.

Steakonastick
03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks mini me. Only 5 pitchers who were first year players last year.

Total innings pitched last year:
Small:10.1
Padgett:2.1
James:25.0
Smith:27.2
Breaux: 16.2

If you wanna include Hughes he threw 7.2 innings.

Skydawg1
03-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Better believe it's being used against us in recruitingI'd use it against Arkansas too.

Commercecomet24
03-08-2017, 11:48 PM
UCL tears are cumulative injuries. These arms were compromised before they ever got on campus. I've coached travel ball for 2 decades and outside of a few of us these coaches are killing young arms. It's tragic. I've always used pitch count to limit my pitchers, not innings pitched. This problem is not limited to us, it's becoming epidemic.

thf24
03-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have a general idea of how far over the average we are as far as TJ's go? I don't follow baseball super closely but it seems like it's becoming an epidemic in recent years as kids play more and more baseball throughout the year. Just curious as to how far ahead of the trend we are.

Cary Hudson's little bro
03-09-2017, 08:57 AM
UCL tears are cumulative injuries. These arms were compromised before they ever got on campus. I've coached travel ball for 2 decades and outside of a few of us these coaches are killing young arms. It's tragic. I've always used pitch count to limit my pitchers, not innings pitched. This problem is not limited to us, it's becoming epidemic.

Our pitching coach from last year taught that max effort bull to increase velo and it hurt all these guys. It's not like 2-3 kids from last year are hurting themselves.

BB30
03-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Pitch count isn't the end all be all either. Kids are overworked at too young of an age. You have kids on pitch counts from the time kid pitch starts and now with travel ball being practically year round and even in the off months kids are taking lessons etc they are not getting enough rest. Every single time you pitch you are tearing your arm down not necessarily your URL but your muscles even with 5 days rest which most aren't getting you cant continue to pitch at that pace year after year after year. Many of these kids are playing highschool ball and pitching a lot to going to travel ball and pitching a lot to fall ball. There just is not enough time for the arm to recuperate. The more wear and tear you put on the muscles the more tired they get and once muscles get tired you then start putting stress on the shoulder ligaments and elbow to carry the majority of the weight and that is when things start getting torn.

I agree most of these kids issues stem from prior use before getting to State. But, long travel ball seasons pitching multiple times in a tournament whether on pitch count or not is one of the primary causes. If you have a player that pitches for his high school and is also playing travel ball he needs to be cut way down on the amount he pitches in the summer and just focus on whatever secondary position he plays. You also have a lot of guys that play say shortstop 3 games in a row and then come in and throw the 4th game of a tournament whether on pitch count or not that is just not healthy.

There is a reason that TJ numbers are rising with Travel ball getting more and more popular. I am not against travel ball as long as the kids are taken care of and not abused. I played it growing up I also tore my UCL when I was 24. Looking back I was way overused and a kid is never going to tell a coach he doesn't feel good enough to throw when a playoff game or tourney is on the line. That is why it is up to the coaches to be disciplined in knowing when to say no.

Commercecomet24
03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Pitch count isn't the end all be all either. Kids are overworked at too young of an age. You have kids on pitch counts from the time kid pitch starts and now with travel ball being practically year round and even in the off months kids are taking lessons etc they are not getting enough rest. Every single time you pitch you are tearing your arm down not necessarily your URL but your muscles even with 5 days rest which most aren't getting you cant continue to pitch at that pace year after year after year. Many of these kids are playing highschool ball and pitching a lot to going to travel ball and pitching a lot to fall ball. There just is not enough time for the arm to recuperate. The more wear and tear you put on the muscles the more tired they get and once muscles get tired you then start putting stress on the shoulder ligaments and elbow to carry the majority of the weight and that is when things start getting torn.

I agree most of these kids issues stem from prior use before getting to State. But, long travel ball seasons pitching multiple times in a tournament whether on pitch count or not is one of the primary causes. If you have a player that pitches for his high school and is also playing travel ball he needs to be cut way down on the amount he pitches in the summer and just focus on whatever secondary position he plays. You also have a lot of guys that play say shortstop 3 games in a row and then come in and throw the 4th game of a tournament whether on pitch count or not that is just not healthy.

There is a reason that TJ numbers are rising with Travel ball getting more and more popular. I am not against travel ball as long as the kids are taken care of and not abused. I played it growing up I also tore my UCL when I was 24. Looking back I was way overused and a kid is never going to tell a coach he doesn't feel good enough to throw when a playoff game or tourney is on the line. That is why it is up to the coaches to be disciplined in knowing when to say no.

Hence why I said it's cumulative injury. Overworked. Meaning to many pitches thrown during their lifetimes. Here's a formula I've used I got from Dr Andrews: 100 pitches x age= per year. So not just pitch counts per game but per year.

Commercecomet24
03-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Our pitching coach from last year taught that max effort bull to increase velo and it hurt all these guys. It's not like 2-3 kids from last year are hurting themselves.

It didnt help but Wes never had these problems anywhere else he's been so something else has to factor into the equation.

Human Meat
03-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Don't discount the effect the radar gun has on this phenomena. Everybody wants to throw 90+ and it's not feasible. A bunch of kids would be better served to go with their strengths, such as movement or whatever, rather than just trying to gun a flat fastball. In addition, during training everyone wants to just throw in a straight line. Kids should be long-tossing more than pitching to strengthen the arm - tossing the ball just as high as they do far. These are old techniques that old school pitchers used - coaches now are getting away from them. Yes, Tommy John and others' arms wore out - but they were in their 30s. When your arm is making that type of living for you, sure get surgery. But not as a kid. You're doing something wrong.

The Federalist Engineer
03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have a general idea of how far over the average we are as far as TJ's go? I don't follow baseball super closely but it seems like it's becoming an epidemic in recent years as kids play more and more baseball throughout the year. Just curious as to how far ahead of the trend we are.

There is not a lot of transparency in college baseball. Kids just disappear from the roster and there is not always an explanation and basically no news. The way I looked into this issue was by focusing on a few programs and finding the curious "missed years" and finding little articles in local papers about an injury

The bottom line is that MSU 2017 is a total disaster with no parallel in any other major team (that I could find). LSU loses 1 kid per year, Florida loses 1 every other year, Vandy has only 1 player on the roster with TJ. The worst school in my cyber stalking was TCU but Arkansas is potentially the true worst. The Hogs have a great many recruits that are lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Basically- high rated recruit not on roster and not playing anywhere else, not D3 or JUCO

Backspin
03-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Arkansas' Keaton McKinney, junior RHP, was reported on Feb 2, 2017 as needing TJ surgery and is out for this year.....MSU's number of TJ surgeries is abnormally high. Part of it can be attributed to over pitching in travel ball; however, when mechanics are changed to increase velocity it has to be done carefully and over time...not 3 months. Younger pitchers who suddenly become measured by an increased focus on velocity can lose their mechanics (i.e. not using leg drive and hips as much to create the increased velo) fairly easy when they've only been working on the new mechanics for 2 or 3 months and guess where the additional stress is placed when the pitcher's mechanics start leaking and the legs and hips are not as involved?? That's right...the elbow.

Human Meat
03-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Arkansas' Keaton McKinney, junior RHP, was reported on Feb 2, 2017 as needing TJ surgery and is out for this year.....MSU's number of TJ surgeries is abnormally high. Part of it can be attributed to over pitching in travel ball; however, when mechanics are changed to increase velocity it has to be done carefully and over time...not 3 months. Younger pitchers who suddenly become measured by an increased focus on velocity can lose their mechanics (i.e. not using leg drive and hips as much to create the increased velo) fairly easy when they've only been working on the new mechanics for 2 or 3 months and guess where the additional stress is placed when the pitcher's mechanics start leaking and the legs and hips are not as involved?? That's right...the elbow.

Another shame. http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/keaton-mckinney/

He was drafted out of high school with a bright future. You could tell he slacked off as a sophomore after a freshman All-America season.