PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys to Release Romo.

trob115
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/839549138152931328

SaintDawg
03-08-2017, 02:17 PM
You are THE man now, Dak. Never look back, son... only forward. Time to put some Dawg in'em.

Gutter Cobreh
03-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Broncos bound....

msstate7
03-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Broncos bound....

I'd choose Houston if I were romo. If the saints aren't in it, I'd love a dak vs romo super bowl next season.

trob115
03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
I'd choose Houston if I were romo. If the saints aren't in it, I'd love a dak vs romo super bowl next season.
The media hoopla would be insane.

louisvilledawg
03-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Why the Texans over Denver?

msstate7
03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I like the Texans defense better.

KOdawg1
03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
the Texans are a competent qb away from being really good. Lamar Miller at RB, Hopkins at WR, and that defense will be frigging stout, especially when Jj watt comes back.

Reason2succeed
03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
The Texans will screw it up. They always do.

Coldsleeve Jr.
03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
He'd make a bigger impact in Houston, but I'd like to see him in Denver. The Texans are just so dumb.

Cooterpoot
03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Denver has no OL. Romo would die.

louisvilledawg
03-08-2017, 03:08 PM
the Texans are a competent qb away from being really good. Lamar Miller at RB, Hopkins at WR, and that defense will be frigging stout, especially when Jj watt comes back.

Fair enough. Feel like broncos have two great wrs, good rb in CJ anderson, and von miller and the secondary.

That OL is hot garbage tho

Doggie_Style
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM

Romo is one good lick away from retirement...

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 03:22 PM

In Houston he'd go against the Colts & Jags defense twice. In Denver he'd go against Houston, Hali, & Jones 2x, Mack & Irvin 2x, & Ingram & Bosa 2x. He'd be broken in half before Thanksgiving.

Reason2succeed
03-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Have you seen Houston's OL?

Gutter Cobreh
03-08-2017, 04:59 PM

While they may end up doing it, the albatross of Osweiler's contract may not allow them to effectively make the move. How can you pay 2 QBs that large of a number, when you can only play one each play?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-08-2017, 06:43 PM
While they may end up doing it, the albatross of Osweiler's contract may not allow them to effectively make the move. How can you pay 2 QBs that large of a number, when you can only play one each play?

This. Whoever sold Lostweiler to the Texans could sale ice to Eskimos. Lostweiler is horrible and is being paid as an upper tier QB.

Irondawg
03-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Wait until you see what insane number Mike Glennon gets

somebodyshotmypaw
03-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Wait until you see what insane number Mike Glennon gets

I like Glennon. I would take him over several starters (Osweiler for example).

HSVDawg
03-08-2017, 09:31 PM

It really doesn't matter. He's likely to die anyway. He couldn't make it out of the first quarter of his first preseason game with the best OL in football in front of him.

And I got laughed at by some for suggesting that the Cowboys releasing him was a very strong possibility. And yet here we are because nobody wants to give up anything substantial to get him. Nobody wants him unless its for pennies on the dollar.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
It really doesn't matter. He's likely to die anyway. He couldn't make it out of the first quarter of his first preseason game with the best OL in football in front of him.

And I got laughed at by some for suggesting that the Cowboys releasing him was a very strong possibility. And yet here we are because nobody wants to give up anything substantial to get him. Nobody wants him unless its for pennies on the dollar.

Why give up something when you know the cowboys had to release him?

HSVDawg
03-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Why give up something when you know the cowboys had to release him?

Huh? If you want a player who is on the trading block/ free agency slippery slope, you give up something to get him by trade if you can because that way you don't have to both outbid other teams and also negotiate with the player in free agency to get him to play for you. Especially in Romo's case where he could be picked up by trade with the Cowboys still paying most of his remaining salary. Thats the whole point, nobody wanted Romo bad enough to gain exclusive rights to him by giving up players or draft picks.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Huh? If you want a player who is on the trading block/ free agency slippery slope, you give up something to get him by trade if you can because that way you don't have to both outbid other teams and also negotiate with the player in free agency to get him to play for you. Especially in Romo's case where he could be picked up by trade with the Cowboys still paying most of his remaining salary. Thats the whole point, nobody wanted Romo bad enough to gain exclusive rights to him by giving up players or draft picks.

So you don't think there will be any competiton to sign him?

Weren't the circumstances surrounding Peyton's release similar? I know they weren't entirely the same. There was no trade market for Peyton, but there was plenty of interest once he was released

HSVDawg
03-08-2017, 11:09 PM

Weren't the circumstances surrounding Peyton's release similar? I know they weren't entirely the same. There was no trade market for Peyton, but there was plenty of interest once he was released

It's a whole lot different from Peyton's release actually...here are some big differences:
1) Peyton was 2 years younger than Romo at the time of his release, thus way more competition for him free agency because he still had plenty left in the tank.
2) Peyton was due a one time bonus payment of $28 million (outside of his normal salary) that the Colts would have been on the hook for if they held onto him a week longer than they did. Cowboys are only in debt to Romo by $10 million or so, and have to pay that regardless of trading him or releasing him. The big thing here is that Peyton was basically untradeable because of the $28 million due to him that whatever team trading would have to pay, whereas Romo should have been very tradeable and a bargain since Cowboys would be footing $10 million. This is the single biggest difference between the two situations.
3) Peyton's injury was considered much more high risk from preventing him from ever playing again than Romo's, which probably made it a bit easier for Indy to live with the decision (that and Andrew Luck sitting there and they had the #1 pick). However, I don't think this really factored into Indy's decision to release him that much (nor Dallas's decision to release Romo, actually). In the end, those decisions were financially driven.

Here's a link from Peyton's release back in 2012, for further detail:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7656028/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-part-ways-14-seasons

All that being said, that's not to say there won't be competition between some teams to sign Romo, and again that was kind of the point where I think if a team really wanted him they could have avoided all that by trading for him. What I think really happened is probably Denver and Houston both put a deal on the table that was a crap deal for Dallas. I'm thinking probably like a 5th or 6th round pick for Romo. Dallas stands a lot to lose by handing an AFC contender a QB that could face them in the Super Bowl if he defies the odds and stays healthy all year, and not a lot to gain in the form of a 5th round pick. So, it's better for them to let the sharks swarm in free agency. Maybe Houston has to trade a key defensive player to free up cap space for Romo, thus weakening their roster elsewhere and reducing the risk of them facing Dallas. Or maybe Denver does the same thing. Or maybe a non-contender team swoops him up or drives the price way up. I also think the Houston and Denver interest may be overrated, as Houston is on the hook for Osweiler's $17 million already and Denver has both Trevor Siemien who was pretty serviceable in only his 2nd year as well as 1st rounder Paxton Lynch being groomed as the future franchise QB.

Dawg61
03-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Chris Mortensen now reporting Cowboys in deep trade talks with Broncos and Texans to trade Romo not release him.

TimberBeast
03-09-2017, 03:15 PM

One huge difference in Peyton and Romo, Peyton is a natural winner, Romo is a natural loser. As a lifelong Dallas fan, I wish Romo could go to the redskins or eagles.