PDA

View Full Version : Hoops

CadaverDawg
03-08-2017, 06:58 AM
We've lost 15 games, and 8 of those were by 7 points or less.

We win just 3 of those, we're 18-12 right now.

1) How different would you feel about hoops if we were 18-12 instead of 15-15 right now?

2) Seeing how many close losses we've had, does it make you feel better about next year? Especially when considering our youth, and that we had only 1 Senior this year and will only have 1 next year.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Of our 7 football losses, we lost 4 by 7 or less.

Of our 6 baseball losses, we lost 4 by 1 run.

I'm sick of losing, close or not**

1. I'd feel a heck of a lot better.

2. I always feel better about next season.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 07:46 AM
I desperately want 2 games in this tourney. I really want to end the losing record streak at 4. 1 win and .500 record is even something to build on at this point

msbulldog
03-08-2017, 07:58 AM
I don't feel real bad about this season, going in I knew we had a tough chore playing all freshmen. My expectations will increase next season.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Ado, a FG Kicker, and one more decent batter would have made this a lot better Sports year.....

Boodawg
03-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Ado, a FG Kicker, and one more decent batter would have made this a lot better Sports year.....

I agree.

smootness
03-08-2017, 08:56 AM
I'm really excited about next year and feel really good about the team we're going to have. For me, it doesn't have anything to do with the number of close losses; half of your losses coming by 7 points or less is not really an abnormal number.

I'm excited because the exact same things that we thought would be in place when we were all looking ahead to 2017-2018 are still in place. We have a bunch of talent, and basically all of it was freshmen or sophomores. The biggest leap in a player's career usually comes between their freshmen and sophomore years...meaning almost our whole roster will be making that leap together.

We are going to be very good next year. The struggles this year mean nothing for next year.

KentuckyDawg13
03-08-2017, 09:34 AM
State's motto: "Wait until next year!"

Ari Gold
03-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Hoops is better off and in a better place going forward than it has been in decades.

shannondawg
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Us ole dawgs have use this as our battle cry for more years than I care to mention.

tcdog70
03-08-2017, 09:47 AM

1) How different would you feel about hoops if we were 18-12 instead of 15-15 right now?

2) Seeing how many close losses we've had, does it make you feel better about next year? Especially when considering our youth, and that we had only 1 Senior this year and will only have 1 next year.

In basketball we could have won a couple more if the refereeing had been more kind. We aren't good enough to overcome some of the breaks we got. Ready was injured alot as was Peters not to even mention Q. I think Stapleton has really come on and will be a great player next year if He can dial back stupid fouls. We can only hope all the Hype about Ado and Baby Spoon are warrantied. Herard can only get better, I would throw him thousands of passes into the post this off season so He can catch them in His sleep.he reminds Me of Wiley Peck hope he grows into a force like Peck did.

smootness
03-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Q, Peters, and Holman could fairly easily be All-SEC type players for us next year. Kegler and Herard could also get there if they take a big step forward, and Nick W could be that kind of player right away, though that will be an unknown until he's on campus and playing.

That is a pretty good place to be entering a season. Add to that Carter and Wright, who showed some really good things down the stretch this year and could also take a big step forward into impact guys at any point, and Ado and Brooks, who are both obviously talented.

Then you have Stapleton, who will be our 'glue' guy, bringing the energy and intensity and hopefully upping the level of everybody on the court.

You can sit back and talk about how bad we looked at times this year if you want. But there are pretty obvious reasons for that, and the future is as bright as it has ever looked.

Human Meat
03-08-2017, 10:16 AM

We certainly have nothing else.

Bothrops
03-08-2017, 10:18 AM

1. I would feel a good bit better.

2. Not so much that. I feel we'll be better with more experience and having a post presence that was missing this year.

Big4Dawg
03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
We will actually have 0 seniors next year.

3 juniors
6 sophomores
4 freshmen

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 10:38 AM
I think it's obvious why we went on that seven game losing streak and it can be attributed to losing IJ for at least 3-4 games of that losing streak. When we lost him, it was a huge blow because Peters wasn't ready to be the main PG of our offense and we had him and Carter as our two PGs with Ready out. I'll have to say I am very excited about next year just because the sheer amount of talent we will have on our roster. You realize next year we will have 10 4 stars and 3 3 stars? I don't think anyone on paper could match that except Kentucky.

maroonmania
03-08-2017, 10:52 AM

3 juniors
6 sophomores
4 freshmen

I know we get impatient with basketball but it does have the best excuse for being where we are. Howland is recruiting his butt off and it wasn't his fault that Ray did almost NOTHING in terms of leaving any SEC level players on the roster. Howland lost all of the Stansbury holdover players last year and this year will lose the only player that Ray provided the program in Ready. The Ray era was almost a 3 year black hole of recruiting and we will have 0 SRs next year after only having the 1 this year. Football and Baseball do not have that excuse.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
I think it's obvious why we went on that seven game losing streak and it can be attributed to losing IJ for at least 3-4 games of that losing streak. When we lost him, it was a huge blow because Peters wasn't ready to be the main PG of our offense and we had him and Carter as our two PGs with Ready out. I'll have to say I am very excited about next year just because the sheer amount of talent we will have on our roster. You realize next year we will have 10 4 stars and 3 3 stars? I don't think anyone on paper could match that except Kentucky.

On paper the last 3 classes Auburn has signed 2 5*, 5 4*, & 3 3*. Bama has 1 5*, 4 4*, & 2 3*. Also Florida has signed 6 4* guys in that time. There's some teams accumulating talent in the SEC.

MadDawg
03-08-2017, 11:00 AM

I was holding out hope for the NIT this year. I guess a break or two here or there might have got us there.

But I think the future is bright. Barring some Stans-esque off season attrition, we should be loaded next year. I don't know if that will translate into an NCAA berth, but here's to hoping.

Liverpooldawg
03-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Hoops is better off and in a better place going forward than it has been in decades.

Decades? No. Several years? Yes

Johnson85
03-08-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm really excited about next year and feel really good about the team we're going to have. For me, it doesn't have anything to do with the number of close losses; half of your losses coming by 7 points or less is not really an abnormal number.

I'm excited because the exact same things that we thought would be in place when we were all looking ahead to 2017-2018 are still in place. We have a bunch of talent, and basically all of it was freshmen or sophomores. The biggest leap in a player's career usually comes between their freshmen and sophomore years...meaning almost our whole roster will be making that leap together.

We are going to be very good next year. The struggles this year mean nothing for next year.

That's true, but with a team full of freshmen and sophomores, I think being at least competitive in those games gives a pretty good reason to expect a solid improvement in record next year. Obviously other teams will get better or worse, but I think it's reasonable to expect that with next year's team, we probably would have won closer to 6 of those games rather than 3. Still maybe not where we want to be, but probably on pace considering Howland almost started completely over with this year's team, so year four would probably be like his year three at other places, with a good jump in record and competing as one of the best few teams in the conference.

CadaverDawg
03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

3 juniors
6 sophomores
4 freshmen

Oh I thought Datcher was a Junior this year

LC Dawg
03-08-2017, 11:10 AM
We won 15 this year and that was the most since 2012. That's so depressing. I hate if for all the students who didn't get to experience how great the Hump can be.
I thought this year would be a little better than it was and was hoping at least to avoid the first day of the SEC tourney. I'm trying to stay optimistic but next year has got to be a good year or I may lose all hope.

CadaverDawg
03-08-2017, 11:10 AM
That's true, but with a team full of freshmen and sophomores, I think being at least competitive in those games gives a pretty good reason to expect a solid improvement in record next year. Obviously other teams will get better or worse, but I think it's reasonable to expect that with next year's team, we probably would have won closer to 6 of those games rather than 3. Still maybe not where we want to be, but probably on pace considering Howland almost started completely over with this year's team, so year four would probably be like his year three at other places, with a good jump in record and competing as one of the best few teams in the conference.

I'm with you

Liverpooldawg
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm not that disappointed about basketball. I had no expectations, good or bad, going in. There were just to many unknowns. After I saw them a few times i didn't think we would do as well as we have. There is definitely reason for hope going forward, but we still lack a few pieces. Hopefully what we have coming in will be those pieces. I think there is a good chance they will be.

Football was disappointing but winning the Egg Bowl like we did takes a lot of the sting out.

I don't care enough about baseball to be disappointed about it.

smootness
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
On paper the last 3 classes Auburn has signed 2 5*, 5 4*, & 3 3*. Bama has 1 5*, 4 4*, & 2 3*. Also Florida has signed 6 4* guys in that time. There's some teams accumulating talent in the SEC.

Yep, I think next year will be the start of another really good stretch for SEC basketball, like the late 90s-mid 00s. I think State and Auburn will suddenly be legit, and I think Bama will see a jump as well. Tennessee and Vandy will be improved, A&M may be better, and UK and Florida will continue to be what they've been.

LSU will suck, Missouri will suck, and South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Georgia will slide. But I think we could get back to having at least 6-7 teams in the Tournament consistently soon.

SDDawg
03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
1) if we were 18 - 12 we'd have a shot at post-season so I'd feel pretty good. We'd also be closer to Howland's historical "trend line", right now we're lagging a bit.

2) Not really. I still need to see leadership on this team. Q is a really good player but I don't think he'll be that leader. Who will step up? Composure (or lack thereof) and limited leadership killed this team. This team has the talent to beat anybody in the conference but couldn't pull out any major victories. As much as I hated to admit it, IJ was the ingredient that this team sorely lacked during that mid-season stretch that really tanked the season.

smootness
03-08-2017, 11:33 AM

I'm about as bullish on next year's team as anybody. Believe me, I know the fact that we're so young and were still competitive is a good sign. I was just saying that pretty much every team ever can point to a bunch of games they didn't lose by all that much. It is our youth that sets us apart, as you said.

And I don't think it will take until Year 4 to see a big jump. I do think that year will be even better than next year, and will represent a peak of sorts, but I think next year will be really, really good. I expect to make the Tournament.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Yep, I think next year will be the start of another really good stretch for SEC basketball, like the late 90s-mid 00s. I think State and Auburn will suddenly be legit, and I think Bama will see a jump as well. Tennessee and Vandy will be improved, A&M may be better, and UK and Florida will continue to be what they've been.

LSU will suck, Missouri will suck, and South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Georgia will slide. But I think we could get back to having at least 6-7 teams in the Tournament consistently soon.
If aTm can keep Williams (big if here) and Davis, I think they'll be as good as anyone with the additions of flagg and starks

smootness
03-08-2017, 11:35 AM
We're really not lagging behind Howland's trend line. Yes, at Pitt and UCLA, he had a small step up in year 2. But at Northern Arizona, which most closely resembles our situation in that he basically completely replaced the roster in Year 2, they took a slight step back before a huge leap in year 3.

So in half of his jobs now, he's basically stayed the same in year 2. In half, he's taken a bit of a step forward. But in all of the previous 3, he took a huge step forward in year 3. I think we're set up to do just that.

smootness
03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
If aTm can keep Williams (big if here) and Davis, I think they'll be as good as anyone with the additions of flagg and starks

I probably should have said they will likely be better. I don't think there's any chance they keep Williams, but Davis, Hogg, Gilder, and Trocha-Morelos should all be back. I don't think Flagg and Starks are instant impact guys, especially Starks, but they should help. So yes, I think they'll be a good team and should have a pretty good shot at the Tournament.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Williams has a good chance to go in the lottery he shouldn't stick around.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Williams has a good chance to go in the lottery he shouldn't stick around.

Yeah, I think he's gone and thank God. I really think Holman should pattern his game more after Williams. I think Holman could be a lesser version of Williams

Tripp McNeely
03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
We're really not lagging behind Howland's trend line. Yes, at Pitt and UCLA, he had a small step up in year 2. But at Northern Arizona, which most closely resembles our situation in that he basically completely replaced the roster in Year 2, they took a slight step back before a huge leap in year 3.

So in half of his jobs now, he's basically stayed the same in year 2. In half, he's taken a bit of a step forward. But in all of the previous 3, he took a huge step forward in year 3. I think we're set up to do just that.

Howland's average year 2 to year 3 win turnaround is 13. So, as crazy as it is to say, with a fairly decent sample size, we should expect 28 wins next year. Will we get that, maybe not, but I can "live with" a 24-25 win regular season next year.

Dawg61
03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Decades? No. Several years? Yes

One decade yes. Multiple decades no.

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Last I checked 10 is greater then any of the numbers you listed. I do think moving forward the class of the SEC will be Kentucky, us, Auburn, and Alabama.

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 02:01 PM

A&M isn't keeping Williams. They will be okay but I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach.

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't count 3 stars in those totals b/c that would cover every player we have on scholarship.

1 5 star
9 4 stars
3 3 stars

That will be our roster next year. Talent wise like I said we will be stacked and rival only Kentucky for most talent in the SEC.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I think he's gone and thank God. I really think Holman should pattern his game more after Williams. I think Holman could be a lesser version of Williams

That would be hard to do. Williams is a physical & athletic freak. Holman is neither. Hard to replicate that when you don't have those attributes.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Last I checked 10 is greater then any of the numbers you listed. I do think moving forward the class of the SEC will be Kentucky, us, Auburn, and Alabama.

That's why I didn't say any of those teams had more. I just listed them & showed where other teams were accumulating a lot of talent. I know you like to count stars but after 7-8 guys it doesn't matter. All 10 of those 4* won't be regular rotation guys.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 02:20 PM
That would be hard to do. Williams is a physical & athletic freak. Holman is neither. Hard to replicate that when you don't have those attributes.

Holman is long and athletic in his own right. I think Holman could be an alley oop, good transition scorer, and shot blocker. I don't like him hanging around the 3-pt line. Am I saying he could be a lottery type player like Williams? No, not at all.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Holman is long and athletic in his own right. I think Holman could be an alley oop, good transition scorer, and shot blocker. I don't like him hanging around the 3-pt line. Am I saying he could be a lottery type player like Williams? No, not at all.

Gotcha he still needs to get stronger to reach peak potential. I don't mind him shooting 2-3 3's a game. That's what stretch 4's do. He has to get stronger if he wants to get more efficient scoring on the block.

Dawg61
03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Gotcha he still needs to get stronger to reach peak potential. I don't mind him shooting 2-3 3's a game. That's what stretch 4's do. He has to get stronger if he wants to get more efficient scoring on the block.

Just curious when does a "stretch 4" get considered a bad 3 point shooter? After two years at shooting .24% I would just call Holman a tall skinny guy that sucks at shooting 3's instead of calling him a "stretch 4". Maybe that's just me though.

louisvilledawg
03-08-2017, 03:06 PM
A&M isn't keeping Williams. They will be okay but I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach.

Not basketball related, but I think Billy Kennedy looks like Ryan Reynolds dad

http://sportsnola.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/kennedy_billy_crossed-e1473609067502.jpg

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201615/rs_634x1024-160205042723-634.Ryan-Reynolds-Good-Morning-Britain-JR-020516.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Just curious when does a "stretch 4" get considered a bad 3 point shooter? After two years at shooting .24% I would just call Holman a tall skinny guy that sucks at shooting 3's instead of calling him a "stretch 4". Maybe that's just me though.

Well he did shoot 32% in SEC play this year when he was actually playing the 4 instead of the 5 where he played last year & the non conference schedule this year. That % is better than IJ, Lamar, Tyson, & Xay in conference play so I think I'd stick with the stretch 4 talk.

Dawg61
03-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Well he did shoot 32% in SEC play this year when he was actually playing the 4 instead of the 5 where he played last year & the non conference schedule this year. That % is better than IJ, Lamar, Tyson, & Xay in conference play so I think I'd stick with the stretch 4 talk.

I wouldn't. He made 9 3's in SEC play and had 10 assists. He's a liability behind the 3point line.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't. He made 9 3's in SEC play and had 10 assists. He's a liability behind the 3point line.

So he made 8 less than Tyson Carter in almost 30 less shots who everyone agrees should take a ton of 3's. He also had 1 more assist than Tyson who is a guard. He had the same amount of 3's as Eli with 7 more assists. Are they liabilities too? He avg 1.5 3's a game in SEC play. He made 0.5 a game. Now tell me again how is he a liability?

Dawg61
03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
So he made 8 less than Tyson Carter in almost 30 less shots who everyone agrees should take a ton of 3's. He also had 1 more assist than Tyson who is a guard. He had the same amount of 3's as Eli with 7 more assists. Are they liabilities too? He avg 1.5 3's a game in SEC play. He made 0.5 a game. Now tell me again how is he a liability?

Cause you aren't considering how much time he is spending camping the 3 point line instead of being down low. Holman is borderline elite right under the basket when he can just jump up and dunk the ball. The further he is on the court from that area the worse we are as a team. Period. I would much rather Holman spend the time he's jacking 3's in practice on developing his low post game and on getting stronger, his footwork/leaping and improving his passing.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Cause you aren't considering how much time he is spending camping the 3 point line instead of being down low. Holman is borderline elite right under the basket when he can just jump up and dunk the ball. The further he is on the court from that area the worse we are as a team. Period. I would much rather Holman spend the time he's jacking 3's in practice on developing his low post game and on getting stronger, his footwork/leaping and improving his passing.

Well your problem is with Howland wanting a stretch 4 instead of a traditional back to the basket 4/5 combo. He likes to have spacing & with Herard camped out down low putting Holman down there too clogs the lane. Now you can argue if you want that we should change the offensive philosophy but saying Holman sucks at shooting 3's when he actually shot a decent 3% in SEC play is false.

smootness
03-08-2017, 03:58 PM

It's about spacing. It's not as simple as 'when Holman has the ball, he is better nearer the basket, thus our team is better when he is nearer the basket'. Sure, he can't just camp out at the 3-point line, but that's not really ever what he did. He goes out there from time to time because it is a motion offense, and there are times when, for spacing reasons, our offense dictates that he needs to be in certain spots.

dawgs
03-08-2017, 04:09 PM
We are pretty much on pace for howland's standard turnaround projects. First year is a disaster (at all of una, Pitt, and ucla), year 2 is improvement (except una which was also a disaster), then year 3 the team explodes for a bunch of Ws and a tourney run. I'd say we are pretty much on the same trajectory.

shannondawg
03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I know we get impatient with basketball but it does have the best excuse for being where we are. Howland is recruiting his butt off and it wasn't his fault that Ray did almost NOTHING in terms of leaving any SEC level players on the roster. Howland lost all of the Stansbury holdover players last year and this year will lose the only player that Ray provided the program in Ready. The Ray era was almost a 3 year black hole of recruiting and we will have 0 SRs next year after only having the 1 this year. Football and Baseball do not have that excuse.

Not that I want to give Ray any undue credit, but wasn't Q one of Ray's recruits. He was pretty unheralded if I remember, but do remember someone on here saying he would be a real sleeper and he definitely was.

Percho
03-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Of our 7 football losses, we lost 4 by 7 or less.

Of our 6 baseball losses, we lost 4 by 1 run.

I'm sick of losing, close or not**

1. I'd feel a heck of a lot better.

2. I always feel better about next season.

You always need to wait until next year. I've been doing that since the sixties. :)

smootness
03-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Not that I want to give Ray any undue credit, but wasn't Q one of Ray's recruits. He was pretty unheralded if I remember, but do remember someone on here saying he would be a real sleeper and he definitely was.

He was. Also, Tookie Brown and Simonds are looking good elsewhere. We still would need a frontcourt, though haha

Liverpooldawg
03-08-2017, 07:06 PM
One decade yes. Multiple decades no.

Maybe, BUT, 10 years ago we were headed to the NCAA tourney the next two years and won the SEC tourney two years later. It might not have looked good then but it sure does now. Hopefully we will get back to AT LEAST that level soon.

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Herard is the sole reason LSU is up 8-2 right now. Wow is he bad when he is bad.

MarketingBully
03-08-2017, 07:11 PM
If you guys don't think Ado would have been worth 3-4 wins because we have to play Herard, you don't know basketball.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Richard Williams just said wright has shot 67% from field in sec play

Goldendawg
03-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Any of you guys watching the game now? Another slow start, air-ball after air-ball from three and turnover after turnover. 17 pts in 11 minutes against one of the worst teams in the country. These guys have a year under their belts now and they still look the same. JMO.

Tripp McNeely
03-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Any of you guys watching the game now? Another slow start, air-ball after air-ball from three and turnover after turnover. 17 pts in 11 minutes against one of the worst teams in the country. These guys have a year under their belts now and they still look the same. JMO.

^^^this is why I never post in game threads

Ari Gold
03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;716217]Decades? No. Several years? Yes[/QUOTE

Next years roster barring any major transfers will be the most talented top to bottom that has been here since I can remember. Not saying we make the final 4 or even win the SEC regular season but...

Our 2nd team may consist of.
Nick Spoon PG
Tyson / Eli 2
Stapleton. 3
Brooks 4
Ado 5

So yeah it's better going forward since I dare say anyone can remember..

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;716217]Decades? No. Several years? Yes[/QUOTE

Next years roster barring any major transfers will be the most talented top to bottom that has been here since I can remember. Not saying we make the final 4 or even win the SEC regular season but...

Our 2nd team may consist of.
Nick Spoon PG
Tyson / Eli 2
Stapleton. 3
Brooks 4
Ado 5

So yeah it's better going forward since I dare say anyone can remember..

There will be talent yes. But I don't see a Dampier, or a Jones, or a Wilson, nor do I see the potential for one. At the moment I don't see a Walters or a Bullard either.

KentuckyDawg13
03-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Maybe you need glasses.

[QUOTE=Ari Gold;716533]

There will be talent yes. But I don't see a Dampier, or a Jones, or a Wilson, nor do I see the potential for one. At the moment I don't see a Walters or a Bullard either.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Maybe you need glasses.

[QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;716607]

So who are those guys?

MarketingBully
03-09-2017, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Ari Gold;716533]

You must not remember the 1993-1994 season. We haven't even seen Ado so you can't say you don't see a Dampier. You didn't see Jones as a freshman so you really don't have a comparison plus he didn't go to college until later so he was a 20 something old freshman. Walters was just a big dude and a prototypical PF which we don't have except when we get Garrison here. Darryl Wilson was unique but when he was a freshman no one could see what he became. Plus, he didn't play his first year so we really saw him as a sophomore. I just don't see how you can definitively say what you are saying.

smootness
03-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Why do we have to have a Dampier, a Wilson, and a Jones? It is rare that two teams are constructed with extremely similar players/styles.

Carter absolutely has the talent to be the kind of shooter Wilson was. Peters can give us something we never had on those teams. Pretty much nobody these days has a Dampier, but we have the chance to have some really good talent in the post. Q, Nick W, Kegler, Wright...these guys can give us something that 96 team never had.

So I don't get the idea that because you don't see someone just like Dampier, or Wilson, or Jones, that we can't be that good.

KentuckyDawg13
03-09-2017, 09:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQJlTOp4oc

MarketingBully
03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Why do we have to have a Dampier, a Wilson, and a Jones? It is rare that two teams are constructed with extremely similar players/styles.

Carter absolutely has the talent to be the kind of shooter Wilson was. Peters can give us something we never had on those teams. Pretty much nobody these days has a Dampier, but we have the chance to have some really good talent in the post. Q, Nick W, Kegler, Wright...these guys can give us something that 96 team never had.

So I don't get the idea that because you don't see someone just like Dampier, or Wilson, or Jones, that we can't be that good.

Agreed. Wilson was extremely unique so it's hard to say any player compares to him. When we had Jones as a junior, he was arguably the most dominant player in February and March. I think Kegler could get there but he is still only a freshman but his game is similar to Jones. From what I have heard, Ado could be similar to Dampier but I haven't seen his game so I don't know. Dampier was a skinny bean pole when he was a freshman at State. He beefed up when he got here. I agree with Smoot though. We have more talent and more depth on this team but we have kids that have different talents that I believe can get the same results,

Ari Gold
03-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Never said the 96 team wasn't special they were..
Look at what The **** I said top to botom.

Here is you 2nd 5 that year.
Bart Hyche
Whit Hughes
Tyrone Washington
Jay Walton
Bubba Wilson

Whit and Bart had very nice rolls, Tyrone would give Damp blows.
And that's it..
We went 8 deep... next year we can go 10 -11 deep.. with talent