PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater & Oxford

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 08:00 AM
This Sports Illustrated stuff on OSU read exactly like the playbook in Oxford - sex for recruits, money, drugs, academic shenanigans. Except I doubt Ole Miss pays for performance on the field - they don't even follow up on all of their promises of crootin money.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/09/mike-gundy-releases-video-statement-about-sports-illustrated-series/related/

Summary of the 5 part story coming out on OSU:

? Part 1: Money: SI finds that OSU used a bonus system orchestrated by an assistant coach whereby players were paid for their performance on the field, with some stars collecting $500 or more per game. In addition, the report finds that OSU boosters and at least two assistant coaches funneled money to players via direct payments and a system of no-show and sham jobs. Some players say they collected more than $10,000 annually in under-the-table payouts.

? Part 2: Academics: Widespread academic misconduct, which included tutors and other OSU personnel completing coursework for players, and professors giving passing grades for little or no work, all in the interest of keeping top players eligible.

? Part 3: Drugs: OSU tolerated and at times enabled recreational drug use, primarily through a specious counseling program that allowed some players to continue to use drugs while avoiding penalties. The school?s drug policy was selectively enforced, with some stars going unpunished despite repeated positive tests.

? Part 4: Sex: OSU?s hostess program, Orange Pride, figured so prominently in the recruitment of prospects that the group more than tripled in size under Miles. Both Miles and Gundy took the unusual step of personally interviewing candidates. Multiple former players and Orange Pride members say that a small subset of the group had sex with recruits, a violation of NCAA rules.

? Part 5: The Fallout: SI finds that many players who were no longer useful to the football program were cast aside, returning to worlds they had hoped to escape. Some have been incarcerated, others live on the streets, many have battled drug abuse and a few have attempted suicide.

smootness
09-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Except I doubt Ole Miss pays for performance on the field - they don't even follow up on all of their promises of crootin money.

This is not believable. If they were promising recruits money that they didn't ultimately provide, there would be players coming out publicly against them. That's how SMU was exposed, and that's the #1 no-no in dirty recruiting.

ETA: Oh, and if even 1/3 of that is true, bye bye OSU. And probably bye bye LSU, too, because they'll come looking for the way Miles currently conducts business as well.

However, again, #5 gives me pause. No way they were cutting a bunch of guys loose who had been given all these things, and nobody said anything about it.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
I agree that's a no-no. But Ole Miss has gotten too crootin-cocky for their own good. We'll see that when their story comes out.

hailmari
09-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Their story seems to have gone cold.. Call me a skeptic at this point.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 08:20 AM
OSU's story didn't exist until this week.

The NCAA was investigating Ole Miss months before anyone knew.

smootness
09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
OSU is done, and the NCAA should move pretty quick since SI seems to have done most of the work here. They'll probably ask for documentation on the player interviews, and then I would think OSU would get hammered. This is essentially exactly what went down at SMU. They've said they won't give the death penalty again, but this should lead to everything possible up to that.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Here is the article on Part 1: The Money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130910/oklahoma-state-part-1-money/

msstate7
09-10-2013, 08:59 AM
So will mike Gundy be leaving first chance he gets?

KB21
09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
So will mike Gundy be leaving first chance he gets?

I think a better question is whether anyone else will hire him now that he is connected with this.

smootness
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I think a better question is whether anyone else will hire him now that he is connected with this.

And I think the best question is, does this lead to Miles being out at LSU eventually?

whosyourdawgy
09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
All the Miles stuff is out of the 4 year what do you call it and the NCAA can't do a damn thing about it. Grundy and osu on the other hand may be in some hot water and

Coach34
09-10-2013, 09:17 AM
What's funny to me is the Ole Miss fans acting like stuff we heard about them was outlandish- there's no wayyyyyy it could be true. And now the same exact type stuff comes out of Stillwater.

I guess Flabby and I fed SI info on them too

smootness
09-10-2013, 09:18 AM
All the Miles stuff is out of the 4 year what do you call it and the NCAA can't do a damn thing about it. Grundy and osu on the other hand may be in some hot water and

Two things:

1. The NCAA has said the 4-year SOL doesn't apply when there is a willful pattern of violations that extends beyond 4 years, which this clearly would be. It is there so you can't say, 'We're punishing Mississippi State for something Bellard did 30 years ago'; it in no way means the NCAA will only include things that happened within the last 4 years in a case like OSU.

2. At the very least, I'm sure this will get the NCAA snooping around LSU's program to see if similar things are happening there under Miles; so either way, he will eventually be in some level of hot water.

msstate7
09-10-2013, 09:20 AM

I'm definitely not up to speed on this investigation, but I thought these accusations were pre-Gundy

MadDawg
09-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry I didn't see where ole miss was implicated in this article. Did I miss something?

smootness
09-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm definitely not up to speed on this investigation, but I thought these accusations were pre-Gundy

It's both before and during...basically from 2001 to now; I think it officially covers until 2010 or 2011, but I assume that's simply because they couldn't find current players or ones who just graduated to speak.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry I didn't see where ole miss was implicated in this article. Did I miss something?

Ole Miss has been implicated by elitedawgs. Specifically, Coach34 and FlabLoser held a summit with Mark Emmeret to identify all the prostitutes and illegal benefits being given to Ole Miss recruits.

Irondawg
09-10-2013, 09:33 AM
The hard part of all of this is getting players to speak, then it's equally hard to somehow proved what an ex-player said is true. Let's be honest. Do we really think the 5 point summary is something that most big schools don't do? I'm sure some coaches are more restrictive on some stuff, but you could replace OSU with just about any top 40 program and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

DawgInMemphis
09-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Ole Miss has been implicated by elitedawgs. Specifically, Coach34 and FlabLoser held a summit with Mark Emmeret to identify all the prostitutes and illegal benefits being given to Ole Miss recruits.

Don't forget the POTUS, and J Edgar Hoover.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 09:49 AM
The hard part of all of this is getting players to speak, then it's equally hard to somehow proved what an ex-player said is true. Let's be honest. Do we really think the 5 point summary is something that most big schools don't do? I'm sure some coaches are more restrictive on some stuff, but you could replace OSU with just about any top 40 program and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Well sure.

I only have a problem with it when we have an overzealous hall monitor who screws us at every opportunity while the rest of the world plays a different game. Its like we are only playing 3 quarters of a 4 quarter football game.

smootness
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM

I seriously doubt most programs have boosters running around in locker rooms and have assistant coaches assisting them in getting money to players.

But even if what you said is true, all it means is that once enough players squeal on any of them, they will get hammered.

They don't really have to prove much of anything...when this many players say it, they pretty much take that as proof.

maroonmania
09-10-2013, 09:54 AM

It may be hard to get players to talk officially with an investigator but idiots like CJ Johnson routinely tweet out about stuff like a brand new truck, getting white girls on campus, etc. The only thing they don't say was that it was university provided but they certainly do enough to raise lots of eyebrows.

Irondawg
09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Exactly - eyebrows get raised and that's about all that ever comes of it. And on the boosters in the locker room - maybe not that direct, but it would not surprise me that there was a pay for play system at a lot of schools although I'd have no idea how the transactions would occur.

engie
09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Let us not forget that LSU is fresh off a slap on the wrist probation. If anything is found, hellloooo repeat offenders clause...

smootness
09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I'd have no idea how the transactions would occur.

I know somebody who might have an idea....

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
What's funny to me is the Ole Miss fans acting like stuff we heard about them was outlandish- there's no wayyyyyy it could be true. And now the same exact type stuff comes out of Stillwater.

I guess Flabby and I fed SI info on them too

Coach,

I think you and Flab need to step it up a notch in your framing of Ole Miss. See if you can get the hookers to wear a cooter cam next time so there will be video evidence of the Ole Miss recruits tapping that university provided tail.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2013, 02:18 PM
NCAA rule 32.6.3 Statute of Limitations: Allegations included in a notice of allegations shall be limited to possible violations occurring not earlier than four years before the date the notice of inquiry is forwarded to the institution or the date the institution notifies (or, if earlier, should have notified) the enforcement staff of its inquiries into the matter. However, the following shall not be subject to the four-year limitation:
(a) Allegations involving violations affecting the eligibility of a current student-athlete;
(b) Allegations in a case in which information is developed to indicate a pattern of willful violations on the part of the institution or individual involved, which began before but continued into the four-year period; and
(c) Allegations that indicate a blatant disregard for the Association's fundamental recruiting, extra-benefit, academic or ethical-conduct regulations or that involve an effort to conceal the occurrence of the violation. In such cases, the enforcement staff shall have a one-year period after the date information concerning the matter becomes available to the NCAA to investigate and submit to the institution a notice of allegations concerning the matter.