PDA

View Full Version : Defensive lineup for next year

Todd4State
03-07-2017, 02:08 AM
It sounds to me like we're starting to get a little more clarity on roles now that spring practice has started, although I'm sure there are going to be some spots that I am off on here.

DE- Rivers
NT- Simmons
DE- Spencer

OLB- Sweat
ILB- Leo
ILB- Dez Harris
OLB- Green

CB- Peters
CB- Durr/Graham

S- Abrams/Bryant
S- McLaurin/Cole

I wonder how much 4-3 we will see? I keep hearing about Green playing DE some and Rivers playing DT some in different sets. JT Gray and Jung are two players that I think are pretty good and it will be interesting to see how we use them. Their versatility will allow for some creativity for sure.

At any rate, I like my lineup a lot better than what we had last year- even if I may be off a little bit here and there. I think playing Spencer and Simmons more, moving Green to OLB and adding in Sweat is going to help us out immensely.

GTHOM
03-07-2017, 03:05 AM
Cam Dantzler will see significant time at CB, he was probably our best corner last year but redshirted. CJ Morgan Walker could break through at safety too. I like Marquis Spencer he can definitely help us but I think he will play with his hand up and in the dirt, Montez Sweat could do this as well. If some JUCO guys can be ready to go our defense should be much improved

Reason2succeed
03-07-2017, 07:51 AM
DE- Thomas/Rivers
NT- Simmons/Pope
DE- Autry/Spencer

OLB- Jung/Sweat
ILB- Leo/Gay
ILB- Gray/Dez Harris
OLB- Green

CB- Peters/Dantzler
CB- Durr/Smitherman

S- Bryant/Abrams
S- McLaurin/Cole

FIFY
You are a little too excited about the new players and not giving enough credit to the players with experience. Yes, the new players will get plenty of reps but not many will be day one starters.

Shake 'n Bake
03-07-2017, 08:25 AM
D End Rivers/Pope
Nose Simmons/Autry
D End Thomas/Adams
OLB Sweat/Spencer
ILB Leo/Erroll
ILB Dez/Gay
OLB Green/Jung
CB Cleveland/Durr
CB Peters/Dantzler
Nickel Graham
S Abram/Bryant
S McLaurin/Cole
This is a mix of what I want to happen and what I expect to happen. A lot of upside with a good coordinator at the helm.

Ari Gold
03-07-2017, 08:50 AM
The CB depth is the most intriguing battle from now until opening day.
If Clevland is able to go he will start . And that's a good thing. Kid played as true Frosh.
We have some bodies at CB just need a couple of guys to step up and be SEC ready, if they do this Def has a chance to be very good.
Front 7 will be very good, and backend Safety's should be much improved with good depth.

lamont
03-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Sweat is going to start
Walker better be very good to get time at Safety
Cleveland will start at 1 corner
Fortunately we do have some depth and will play a lot of guys
I look for Dantzler to end up the Nickel CB

Jucos always have a learning curve- especially for Dan Mullen teams. This season won't be any different. Sweat will be the one exception. Not so much for the rest

Ari Gold
03-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Cam Dantzler will see significant time at CB, he was probably our best corner last year but redshirted. CJ Morgan Walker could break through at safety too. I like Marquis Spencer he can definitely help us but I think he will play with his hand up and in the dirt, Montez Sweat could do this as well. If some JUCO guys can be ready to go our defense should be much improved

The juco guys will be ready , these aren't normal juco guys. Sweat, Rivers, Abrams instant impact players.
Landrews and Autry would have seen lots of PT last year for us..
That's 5 guys that are ready to roll right now.

Defesne will be night and day better next year with a DC here now that can ****ing coach and a staff on that side of the ball that's the best Dan has had.. All about players buying in..

maroonmania
03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
DE- Thomas/Rivers
NT- Simmons/Pope
DE- Autry/Spencer

OLB- Jung/Sweat
ILB- Leo/Gay
ILB- Gray/Dez Harris
OLB- Green

CB- Peters/Dantzler
CB- Durr/Smitherman

S- Bryant/Abrams
S- McLaurin/Cole

FIFY
You are a little too excited about the new players and not giving enough credit to the players with experience. Yes, the new players will get plenty of reps but not many will be day one starters.

If we have JT Gray starting at ILB we be in trouble. That dude is nowhere near big enough to play ILB in a 3-4. He is either going to have to go OLB or S.

bulldawg28
03-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Sweat is going to start
Walker better be very good to get time at Safety
Cleveland will start at 1 corner
Fortunately we do have some depth and will play a lot of guys
I look for Dantzler to end up the Nickel CB

Jucos always have a learning curve- especially for Dan Mullen teams. This season won't be any different. Sweat will be the one exception. Not so much for the rest

Lol...8 wins is still the bet. When are you going to accept the challenge?

lamont
03-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Lol...8 wins is still the bet. When are you going to accept the challenge?

I'll let ya know after I watch a couple of practices

Reason2succeed
03-07-2017, 06:41 PM
If we have JT Gray starting at ILB we be in trouble. That dude is nowhere near big enough to play ILB in a 3-4. He is either going to have to go OLB or S.

Yeah, I forced him in there. He really is a good player but I don't know where he could start. A better guess is that he will be a either or with Jung at OLB. I don't see him moving to safety because that's a big transition and we now have talent there.

Overall a good D.C. is going to adapt to running downs, passing downs, goal line etc. so there will be a lot of places for him to get his PT. I think he may be the passing down LB.

GTHOM
03-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Gray is gonna be on the field somewhere, he's too fast not to be. He can also bring the wood, he could play inside but I think the starters will be LL and Dez Harris with Gay and Thompson being the 2s

Shake 'n Bake
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Saw where we had a gray at safety today, and green sweat and spencer at the outside spots in the little the media got to watch. In granthams d, if green sweat and spencer are the primary guys at OLB, will we be depending on them to do a lot in coverage?

GTHOM
03-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Saw where we had a gray at safety today, and green sweat and spencer at the outside spots in the little the media got to watch. In granthams d, if green sweat and spencer are the primary guys at OLB, will we be depending on them to do a lot in coverage?

They will never be playing man unless its on a RB swing I can promise you that. They will be asked to drop in zone I'm sure but none other than that. That does tell me that he wants Gay inside though

bulldawg28
03-07-2017, 08:55 PM
I'll let ya know after I watch a couple of practices

At first it was after the bowl game, then signing day, now you've got to observe practice. The problem with what you've been saying is made statements without those observations. Maybe you should stop being so dogmatic state will suck without observation.

bulldawg28
03-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Gray is a safety and Bryant is a corner.

lamont
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
At first it was after the bowl game, then signing day, now you've got to observe practice. The problem with what you've been saying is made statements without those observations. Maybe you should stop being so dogmatic state will suck without observation.

I didnt say we would suck- I said we played a helluva schedule and were likely a 6-7 win team in 2017, with 2018 being our chance to win big again. I'll observe practice and we'll see what comes out of seeing our OL and WR's as work.

My track record on us has been really damn good- and much better than yours.

GTHOM
03-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I didnt say we would suck- I said we played a helluva schedule and were likely a 6-7 win team in 2017, with 2018 being our chance to win big again. I'll observe practice and we'll see what comes out of seeing our OL and WR's as work.

I understand the OL but not sure why you are worried about our WRs. We will be okay there, we all know we are going to make our money on the ground anyway

defiantdog
03-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Gray is a safety and Bryant is a corner.
You'd move Gray to safety even though he's played lb his entire college career? Bryant isn't so much a db either.... maybe a nickel. Cole / Bryant will interchange free and McLaurin / Abrams will play strong. Gray will remain at OLB.

defiantdog
03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
I understand the OL but not sure why you are worried about our WRs. We will be okay there, we all know we are going to make our money on the ground anyway
Maybe because of everyone is putting all of their stock into a receiver that's never played a snap.... Todd. He may look good in practice, but Shump looked like a world beater as well.

Steakonastick
03-07-2017, 10:28 PM
De-thomas/jones. Spencer on pass downs
Ng-Simmons/Autry
De-rivers/Adams

Olb-green/Spencer
Ilb-Thompson/Harris
Ilb-Lewis/gay
Olb-sweat/jung

Cb-Cleveland/durr
S-mclaurin/cole
Ss-Abrams/Bryant
Cb-peters/dantzler

lamont
03-07-2017, 10:30 PM

because we are probably 10th in the SEC in WR talent

GTHOM
03-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Im not saying we have the best but you're probably selling us a little short haha

bulldawg28
03-07-2017, 11:20 PM

What track record do you have to compare to? If you've been so accurate and I've been so off 8 wins is an easy bet for you nostradamous

dawgday166
03-07-2017, 11:30 PM

Per David Murray ... Rankin practicing at center. Jenkins - out. Calhoun - out. For how long they out, not sure.

Doesn't matter tho ... we still gonna beat Bama next year. ******* Just ask dawg28.

ETA: Slight addition from today's notes ... Eiland playing LT. I just ain't seeing that unless he done got to where he can move a whole lot quicker (and I mean a WHOLE lot quicker) than what I saw in his recruiting videos. Maybe that's so tho. We'll see how ole Hev brings this group together when the season starts.

CadaverDawg
03-07-2017, 11:39 PM

That's being generous. I'd put us at 11 or 12

msstate7
03-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Per David Murray ... Rankin practicing at center. Jenkins - out. Calhoun - out. For how long they out, not sure.

Doesn't matter tho ... we still gonna beat Bama next year. ******* Just ask dawg28.

ETA: Slight addition from today's notes ... Eiland playing LT. I just ain't seeing that unless he done got to where he can move a whole lot quicker (and I mean a WHOLE lot quicker) than what I saw in his recruiting videos. Maybe that's so tho. We'll see how ole Hev brings this group together when the season starts.

Who at RT?

dawgday166
03-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Who at RT?

If they were listed in order which I'm assuming ... Reese #1 RT and Eiland #1 LT.

msstate7
03-07-2017, 11:44 PM
If they were listed in order which I'm assuming ... Reese #1 RT and Eiland #1 LT.
Reese is interesting. Didn't know he was a tackle. Any talk of champion and Phillips?

dawgday166
03-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Reese is interesting. Didn't know he was a tackle

Never seen video on Reese. I'm not a recruiting expert or coach, but the only OL on our current roster whose video I watched and who I thought looked quick enough to play LT has been Rankin. But that may also be why he's playing center now too.

ETA: To sum up ... who knows with Hev. I thought Rankin was just getting to where he played LT pretty well. I'd like to see him become an expert LT and go in the 1st round of the draft. But wtf ... might as well have him start over and learn center I guess. I just know I want to see our O to be ranked no lower than the mid 20's next year. I want some brilliant offensive stuff from Mullen and his offensive staff, now that Mullen doesn't have to coach the defense too ******

msstate7
03-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Never seen video on Reese. I'm not a recruiting expert or coach, but the only OL on our current roster whose video I watched and who I thought looked quick enough to play LT has been Rankin. But that may also be why he's playing center now too.

I've seen him and he's a mix of willie roaf and tony boselli** I'll settle for Justin senior good this year

dawgday166
03-07-2017, 11:56 PM
I've seen him and he's a mix of willie roaf and tony boselli** I'll settle for Justin senior good this year

He probably is ... that Hev has a keen eye for talent **

lamont
03-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Reese is interesting. Didn't know he was a tackle. Any talk of champion and Phillips?

You still holding out hope huh?

bulldawg28
03-08-2017, 07:30 AM

Fawk Bama.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 07:43 AM
You still holding out hope huh?

Yep. If everything you say is set in stone, you wouldn't have to "watch a few practices first" to take bulldawg28's bet

dawgday166
03-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Fawk Bama.

I agree. But doesn't mean we gonna whup them. It'd feel good to say that after we whupped them ... but not happening while Saban is there.

Shake 'n Bake
03-08-2017, 08:28 AM
I hate rankin practicing at center and will lose my shit if he actually starts the season there, but the one good thing about him at center and Jenkins and Calhoun being out is it's gonna force us to give our other tackles and other guards an enormous amount of reps this spring and maybe we'll figure out some decent options to fill our other 2 starting spots.

lamont
03-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Yep. If everything you say is set in stone, you wouldn't have to "watch a few practices first" to take bulldawg28's bet

Once I see us what I say will be in stone

msstate7
03-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Once I see us what I say will be in stone

Haha... you've never lacked in confidence or ego

lamont
03-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Haha... you've never lacked in confidence or ego

Why wouldn't I? Mullen has never exceeded my preseason predictions. I view us too much with maroon glasses it seems.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Calhoun will start at Center. Rankin will start at LT. Jenkins will start but not sure if it will be LG or RT. We'd love for it to be LG but if we don't find a legit RT he'll be outside. We have 3 guys locked in the question is who takes the other 2 between Story, Champion, Reese, Phillips, & Williams.

msstate7
03-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Why wouldn't I? Mullen has never exceeded my preseason predictions. I view us too much with maroon glasses it seems.

You said Mullen should be sec COY if he won 6 last year. Mullen won 6

lamont
03-08-2017, 10:51 AM
You said Mullen should be sec COY if he won 6 last year. Mullen won 6

Mullen won 5.

SEC COY is chosen on the regular season

msstate7
03-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Mullen won 5.

SEC COY is chosen on the regular season

So Mullen was a missed chip shot fg from doing the best coaching job in the sec last year? Good thing we extended him

lamont
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=msstate7;716209]So Mullen was a missed chip shot fg from doing the best coaching job in the sec last year? Good thing we extended him[/QUOTE

Or he was a healthy Brandon Holloway away from winning only 3 or 4