PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Thoughts

Todd4State
03-06-2017, 12:45 AM
There's no way around it- we had a disappointing weekend. But there were some good things that happened this weekend too- and I think we will hopefully see some of the good things utilized going forward. And that's the thing I don't know about Cann right now- how quickly will he make the changes or even will he make the changes? Same with Henderson.

The biggest unknown for us coming into the year was our pitching and how it was all going to work out. We had some talented guys go down to Tommy John at a rate I have never seen before in my life- which has done nothing but fuel my disdain for travel ball. That said, I think we have found some answers but it's up to our coaches to put the pieces in the right place. One of the good things was Pilkington's performance. I was a little worried about him after his performance against Texas Tech- but he stepped up and pitched like he needs to. It sucks that we struck out 18 times and wasted his performance. Plumlee did what I kind of expect him to be once SEC play starts- and that's a five inning guy. We need to stop pitching Ashcraft in a starting role for now. In time he will be a guy that could be an ace as long as he stays healthy. Right now- he's just not there yet. He has a lot to learn and he needs to command his pitches better and develop his secondary offerings. I think he can be useful in a short relief/closer type role- like Drew Pomeranz did for Ole Miss his freshman year. Tony LaRussa did that sometimes with starting pitching prospects like Adam Wainwright and I really liked how it worked out. They get action against SEC/MLB hitters depending on which example you are looking at but at the same time they aren't overexposed. That would be priority one for me if I was coaching this team this upcoming weekend- make sure Ashcraft gets to close a game. Riley Self pitched very well again and he has shown me that he can go deeper than Ashcraft and Cyr I think it's a mental thing plus he looked so good in relief I think we should leave Cyr there. So, I think Self is our best option as a Sunday starter. Cyr had struggled until this weekend but he was very good in relief. I think that's his niche for now- and that was one of the good things that happened for us. It was also good to see Rigby back and he did OK considering he is coming off of a groin injury and he did throw a critical wild pitch. And we do have to eliminate the walks, HBP's, and wild pitches from our pitchers. Spencer Price pitched well twice for us before he ran out of gas in the last game- and where was Jacob Barton? He should have pitched some but at the same time the fact that he didn't tells me we have a little bit of pitching depth. We'll see how Billingsley does if he starts midweek against La Tech. If he pitches well in midweek, he's going to have to get some consideration for starting on Sunday as well. If that happens we should go Johnny Wholestaff midweek and I think we have enough arms to pull that off.

Neither one of our catchers are hitting the ball right now. Marrero not being on the team is hurting us from a depth standpoint. Lovelady did have a good game hitting on Saturday but he is what he is- a good catch/defensive guy. Skelton is playing like a freshman- but he'll get better too.

Our best infield right now is Bragg at first, Stovall at second, LA at third, and Gridley at SS. All of those guys are hitting over .400 except for LA who is only hitting .340 and has a couple of home runs and is tied for the team lead in doubles. It was good to see Bragg hitting the other day and having a good game and maybe he is starting to get it. I think it was a mistake pinch hitting Cole Gordon for him and I don't understand that move other than the "by the book" R/L thing. Sometimes I think it's best to go against that sometimes depending on the situation. And Gordon struck out. It was great to see Stovall back- even though I don't think he's quite back at 100% yet. LA hit well after Friday and Gridley came up with some big hits even though I don't like him hitting third, it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

Some people have questioned not bunting Rooker. For obvious reasons, that's pretty funny to me. If Cohen had bunted Rooker and we scored to win the game, there would be a three page+ thread on here about how we were lucky and should never bunt, and etc. That being said, I don't think I can question not bunting Rooker. To me, that goes back to the individual situation and Rooker has a better chance of hitting a home run than he does of not getting a bunt down. He's also hitting over .400- you have to let him swing away. Mangum is what he is- a hitting machine. He got screwed by the umpire on his CS. I thought MacNamee had a nice weekend- better than some of the other options we've seen. I'm curious to see if Vansau gets more playing time.

Every year it seems like State fans latch on to something with the baseball team- whether it's bunting, defense, the third base coach, or whatever. Well this year, it appears as if the topic du jour is how many times we've struck out. Is there any merit to it? Some. Is it blown out of proportion? Yes. Is counterintuitive as it sounds, you can strike out a lot and still be a good offense. Ask the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers and Earl Weaver. We have more extra base hits and are hitting for a higher average than we were at this time last year. That's a positive thing. The other major reason why I say that it is being overblown is because if you look at our stats 41 of our 112 K's are between THREE players. Blaylock, Gordon, and Poole. That probably doesn't shock anybody- those three have no college baseball experience last year outside of Gordon's handful of AB's. Remember how horrible Rooker and Renfroe looked their first years? That's where those guys are right now. And if you look at the stats even further- LA has 13 and Rooker 11. LA's K total is skewed by his awful performance on Friday. Rooker is a power hitter, those guys are going to strike out some but he also has 9 BB's and is hitting over .400. So most of our K totals are between those five players- 65 of 112- only two of whom start and one of those I don't think the K total will increase that much over the course of the year. So, to me the solution here is fairly simple- sit the three guys that are struggling. Which we're doing for the most part. LSU last year struggled some at the beginning of the year last year- until that possum ran on the field and then they started to tear it up. I don't believe the possum had as much to do with it as Cann did- and I'm hopeful that we will see a similar thing happen as the year goes on.

I see some people talking about how Oregon is a mediocre team. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a good year. There is a lot of pressure on their coach to make a regional- he has a new pitching coach who is that Jason Dietrich guy that Gene freaked out at Harvey's last year- and they returned a lot of players from last year. The guy that shut us down even though he has struggled in his first two starts pitched for Team USA last year and if he pitches like he did against us the rest of the year he could be a first round pick. The guy that closed the game for them today was drafted by the Mariners out of high school. They are a much better hitting team too.

Now this is a big week for us- and we really need to win all five which means Cann and Henderson need to stop ****ing around with the pitching staff. Louisiana Tech is one of the darlings of college baseball right now- and they're coached by Lane plus we ended their season last year so Tuesday is going to be pretty big for them. They might dogpile if they beat us. Hopefully we won't pitch anyone that needs Tommy John surgery. They have one loss right now- to Arkansas who they split with. South Alabama is usually pretty good too- both they and La Tech have high RPI's. Stepping on the field against them will probably help us in that respect. Columbia played Florida pretty tough- we have to bring it against them.

Looking forward to next week being better than this one. Hail State.

msstate7
03-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Maybe I'm too critical of our k rate. I think it's a problem though... of the 3 you listed (blaylock, Poole, and Cole), they accounted for 2 of our 13 k's yesterday. For the weekend, we had 87 outs and 40 were by k (46%).

All that swinging and missing produced 5 extra base hits in 117 ABs... 0.316 slugging. We walked 6 times all weekend and all 6 were on Saturday. So in our losses, we struck out 31 times and walked 0. In our win, we struck out 9 times and walked 6

We had 123 PAs and struck out 40 times. Our k rate was 0.33

Bucky Dog
03-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Maybe I'm too critical of our k rate. I think it's a problem though... of the 3 you listed (blaylock, Poole, and Cole), they accounted for 2 of our 13 k's yesterday. For the weekend, we had 87 outs and 40 were by k (46%).

You think??!

The deal we have to remember with this team is pretty simple: we have a new head coach who did not have a fall with his team and is probably still learning who they are, and he did not recruit them to State. He is learning about them and the identity of this entire team right now.

With that said, many of our guys didn't start last year and obviously with all of the pitchers being out we are a little disadvantaged. The positives you have to see in this team, is they are young and hungry, and I have seen it all to often in baseball that once a team like ours finds itself, they can be very good.

I really like Can's offensive philosophy. We are aggressive at the plate and on the bases. We have some great hitters but also are trying to fill the holes with those younger inexperienced guys. I believe they will find the groove and maybe we have to average10-12 runs a game to win this year! Who knows?

Just watch this team grow and work to get better. Make the regionals and you never know what happens if you get hot at the right time.

The Federalist Engineer
03-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Good post Todd, I respectfully think the K-rate for us is big because of the lack of Quality/Competitiveness in the at-bat:

(1) we swing at bad pitches and immediately go into 0-2 or 1-2 counts.
(2) then our hitters have to defend the plate and maybe foul-off some pitches.
(3) then we strike out with no possibility of solid contact, runners do not move, and the pitch count is not escalated

Like you say, these guys lack experience. They will get better and next year, this could be a Top-10 team, from the start. Especially with Pilk and Self becoming AA's.

Poole, Blaylock, Bragg, Skelton, Alexander, and Reed (if we play him) are going to be significantly better after another 100 at-bats and even better after another 100. Between now, SEC play, Regional (?), Summer, Fall, Spring, and 2018 we will see a big leap.

Some stats:

LSU-2016: in 2283 ABs, struck out per AB 13.8% and walked per K 85%
LSU-2015: in 2429 ABs, struck out per AB 14.0% and walked per K 64%
LSU-2014: in 2098 ABs, struck out per AB 13.0% and walked per K 81%
MSU-2017: in 436 ABs, struck out per AB 25.6% and walked per K 40%
MSU-2016: in 2216 ABs, stuck out per AB 17.0% and walked per K 62%

This is a pretty dramatic difference in hitting, much more K and much less walks

The Federalist Engineer
03-06-2017, 08:36 AM

All that swinging and missing produced 5 extra base hits in 117 ABs... 0.316 slugging. We walked 6 times all weekend and all 6 were on Saturday. So in our losses, we struck out 31 times and walked 0. In our win, we struck out 9 times and walked 6

We had 123 PAs and struck out 40 times. Our k rate was 0.33

Even in the inning when we failed to get a run after Alexander and Gridley got hits to lead-off, they fought back from 0-2 counts. Then 2 of the 3 outs thereafter were K (Macnamee got a shallow fly ball). Our hitters are putting themselves in disadvantage too frequently.

maroonmania
03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
My biggest frustration from this past weekend is that we lost a series to a team that didn't appear to be as talented as we are. And they did it by just playing sound, fundamental baseball. Patient at the plate so they took a lot of walks and HBPs because their hitters weren't swinging at every ball in the dirt, didn't make errors in the field and took advantage of their opportunities. That is how you get outhit 14-8 through 9 innings and yet still end up winning. I mean they get the tying run home in the 8th where the only time they took the bat off their shoulder was to hit a foul fly ball for a Sac Fly. We on the other hand lead off the 10th with back to back singles and get nothing and in earlier innings have 2nd and 3rd twice with less than 2 outs and get little to nothing out of it. Bad teams don't capitalize on opportunities and good ones do. Right now we are just not a good team. Of our 5 losses we have 3 one run losses and a game that we blew a 5 run lead in the 9th

Brahmabull
03-06-2017, 10:09 AM
What is the story on Gene freaking the guy out?

I seen it dawg
03-06-2017, 10:36 AM
La Tech won't dogpile if they beat us. They expect to beat us. They swept Wichita St this weekend. They are really really good. Don't any of you think this is your patsy midweek tilt. This is a regional type game against a team that can come in and whip our ass.

msstate7
03-06-2017, 10:39 AM
La Tech won't dogpile if they beat us. They expect to beat us. They swept Wichita St this weekend. They are really really good. Don't any of you think this is your patsy midweek tilt. This is a regional type game against a team that can come in and whip our ass.

I agree. 2nd best team we've faced this year. I kinda like our weekend pitching, but I don't like our midweek. I expect to be beaten. I'll be there though and hope I'm wrong

Backspin
03-06-2017, 02:40 PM

You know what you're talking about. Tech is experienced and well coached by Lane Burroughs. They hit well, defend well and have some arms. They were glad to make the regionals last year but they'll make some noise in the regionals this year. My guess is this game has been circled on their calendar for several months. Would be a good quality win if State can get it.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2017, 02:54 PM
I agree with many of the posts in this thread. What pisses me off, is guys that are not good hitters going up there hacking at everything like they're Barry damn Bonds. If you're Cole Gordon and every at bat you've had this year has started with you swinging and missing at a low pitch...EXPECT that shit next time up and take it! It's not rocket surgery. For goodness sake, you K damn near every plate appearance, and rarely see a single ball in the strike zone...****ING ADJUST! Take some pitches, work a count, do SOMETHING different.

That's my biggest complaint so far...we don't adjust our approach or learn shit from pitch to pitch, ab to ab, or game to game. Same guys striking out in game 1 on curves in the dirt in front of home plate, are the same ones doing it now. And that's pretty much everybody.

Cooterpoot
03-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Let's all say it together........We have shitty hitters.
The talent here isn't good (minus a couple guys) and the depth is even worse. We're stuck with what we've got. Next year will be a complete rebuild too and we've got to hope arms are well. Going to be a long two years of baseball I fear.

Homedawg
03-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Good post Todd, I respectfully think the K-rate for us is big because of the lack of Quality/Competitiveness in the at-bat:

(1) we swing at bad pitches and immediately go into 0-2 or 1-2 counts.
(2) then our hitters have to defend the plate and maybe foul-off some pitches.
(3) then we strike out with no possibility of solid contact, runners do not move, and the pitch count is not escalated

Like you say, these guys lack experience. They will get better and next year, this could be a Top-10 team, from the start. Especially with Pilk and Self becoming AA's.

Poole, Blaylock, Bragg, Skelton, Alexander, and Reed (if we play him) are going to be significantly better after another 100 at-bats and even better after another 100. Between now, SEC play, Regional (?), Summer, Fall, Spring, and 2018 we will see a big leap.

Some stats:

LSU-2016: in 2283 ABs, struck out per AB 13.8% and walked per K 85%
LSU-2015: in 2429 ABs, struck out per AB 14.0% and walked per K 64%
LSU-2014: in 2098 ABs, struck out per AB 13.0% and walked per K 81%
MSU-2017: in 436 ABs, struck out per AB 25.6% and walked per K 40%
MSU-2016: in 2216 ABs, stuck out per AB 17.0% and walked per K 62%

This is a pretty dramatic difference in hitting, much more K and much less walks

Quick recap of the stats in your post- lsu had better hitters than we had and currently have....

The Federalist Engineer
03-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Quick recap of the stats in your post- lsu had better hitters than we had and currently have....

I like the way you zapped me, but yeah, our k-rate and walk/k ratio is far from decent. I compare us to LSU because who gives a hell about how they compare to Georgia, Tennessee, or Alabama.

SDDawg
03-06-2017, 06:40 PM
What is the story on Gene freaking the guy out?

Also interested in that story.