PDA

View Full Version : Baseball scholly rule

BayouDawg
03-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Would it be possible for state to start a special fund just for baseball scholarships? I think Vandy does something like this. The 11.7 rule is really dumb imo. Vandy may be able to get away with their special "fund" because they are a private school. I'm not sure.

ScoobaDawg
03-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Pretty sure the vandy thing is a state sponsored deal possibly for all students? I know private boosters can't just do it themselves though or we would of done it a long time ago.

BayouDawg
03-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Hell start a Mississippi lotto and use those funds to start some kind of scholarship that is available to all students especially baseball players

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Would it be possible for state to start a special fund just for baseball scholarships? I think Vandy does something like this. The 11.7 rule is really dumb imo. Vandy may be able to get away with their special "fund" because they are a private school. I'm not sure.

Tennessee does have a scholarship similar to Louisiana and Georgia but Vandy does use their private school label for advantages. Kind of like giving Leadership schollies or just finding other scholarships for the baseball team. Cohen helped baseball players find more scholarships that are available. It is amazing how many scholarships people just don't know exist.

ScoobaDawg
03-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Hell start a Mississippi lotto and use those funds to start some kind of scholarship that is available to all students especially baseball players
Yeaaa good luck with that.

msujan
03-05-2017, 10:08 PM

What frequently happens with "additional funding sources" is that the state reduces its allocation to the fund by the same amount as the "additional funding", thus the fund receives the same amount of funding but the state reduces its contribution. Who wins? Well, the state, of course!

BrunswickDawg
03-05-2017, 10:20 PM
What frequently happens with "additional funding sources" is that the state reduces its allocation to the fund by the same amount as the "additional funding", thus the fund receives the same amount of funding but the state reduces its contribution. Who wins? Well, the state, of course!

Which is exactly what has happened in Georgia. Legislature cut funding, and schools jacked tuition. After factoring in scholarships, it will cost me less to send my daughter to State next fall than UGA even after the HOPE funds.

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Vanderbilt is a private school and thus can make their own rules. They have "need based scholarships", which in their case means any student who's family makes less than $110,000 annually can go to Vanderbilt for free assuming they are allowed in. Dansby Swanson was technically a Walkon because of this.

Vanderbilt also had minority scholarships which allow minorities to attend for free if they get into the school. Jeron Kendall, Roe Coleman, Justis Sheffield, etc were therefore walkons

State schools can't justify making these accommodations without discriminating against other lower income students and minorities.

Todd4State
03-05-2017, 11:01 PM
I'd honestly just like to see us recruit 15-16 solid players a year that cover every position and not have to rely on JUCO's so much. We have a perpetual hole at third base and I do not understand how that happens.

Todd4State
03-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Vanderbilt is a private school and thus can make their own rules. They have "need based scholarships", which in their case means any student who's family makes less than $110,000 annually can go to Vanderbilt for free assuming they are allowed in. Dansby Swanson was technically a Walkon because of this.

Vanderbilt also had minority scholarships which allow minorities to attend for free if they get into the school. Jeron Kendall, Roe Coleman, Justis Sheffield, etc were therefore walkons

State schools can't justify making these accommodations without discriminating against other lower income students and minorities.

Here's the million dollar question- forget Vanderbilt- how did Ole Miss get all of their players in past the draft? They're basically in the same situation as us. I can't recall us getting all of our signees when we've had a class like that. Whatever they did we need to do- as long as it's legal per the NCAA of course.

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Here's the million dollar question- forget Vanderbilt- how did Ole Miss get all of their players in past the draft? They're basically in the same situation as us. I can't recall us getting all of our signees when we've had a class like that. Whatever they did we need to do- as long as it's legal per the NCAA of course.

Ole Miss hit the once in a lifetime jackpot on getting draftable Hugh schoolers to campus.

Rollison received poor advice from an agent and he turned down an obscene amount of money. Family lost control of the process and actually regret it.

Kessinger is a legacy

Cooper Johnson was the best defensive catcher in the country last year but had a deficient bat and fell in the draft.

Dillard is talented but a maxed out guy that doesn't profile.

What happened at OM can happen at any school but it's the luck of the draw.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Ole Miss hit the once in a lifetime jackpot on getting draftable Hugh schoolers to campus.
Hugh schoolers - got to love predictive text! 😂

Martianlander
03-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Network

bulldogcountry1
03-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Seems like it would be easiest to start up a new men's sport, like fencing, made up entirely of baseball players. Then, just add a women's sport to even it out.

FWIW: Kendall Rogers tweeted out early in the season that he was hearing the NCAA investigation was spilling into the baseball program. I haven't seen a peep about it from anywhere else since.

Mutt the Hoople
03-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Seems like it would be easiest to start up a new men's sport, like fencing, made up entirely of baseball players. Then, just add a women's sport to even it out.

No. The NCAA rule states that if an athlete gets a fencing scholarship (or other non-revenue) scholarship, but plays football, it's counted as a football scholarship. This was because Bear Bryant had a bunch of his football players on the Swim Team in the 1970's when scholarship limits came into effect.

bulldogcountry1
03-06-2017, 08:58 AM
No. The NCAA rule states that if an athlete gets a fencing scholarship (or other non-revenue) scholarship, but plays football, it's counted as a football scholarship. This was because Bear Bryant had a bunch of his football players on the Swim Team in the 1970's when scholarship limits came into effect.

Well, I give up.

shannondawg
03-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Didn't ole miss do the same thing with the swim team?

Martianlander
03-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Didn't ole miss do the same thing with the swim team?

Yes. Vaught did it and unm didn't even have a swim team.