PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of offending

gravedigger
03-05-2017, 03:21 PM
The younger crowd that isn't familiar with what a pivot foot's purpose is, I am about one more rotate long step, pickup the pivot foot and jump off the other from giving up on the game of basketball. Make the ball oblong, and remove dribbling.

CadaverDawg
03-05-2017, 03:25 PM
The younger crowd that isn't familiar with what a pivot foot's purpose is, I am about one more rotate long step, pickup the pivot foot and jump off the other from giving up on the game of basketball. Make the ball oblong, and remove dribbling.

Yep

Commercecomet24
03-05-2017, 03:35 PM

You are speaking the truth my friend! All basketball at every level has become And1.

Spiderman
03-05-2017, 03:42 PM

And the " Jump Stop" has screwed the game up for years.

When I played , if you left your feet with out shooting the ball, it was an up and down traveling call

gravedigger
03-05-2017, 03:47 PM
You are speaking the truth my friend! All basketball at every level has become And1.

Thanks fellas, and for what it's worth, I understand because I loved Jordan and the "why" and the higher scoring it provides. But the game is about position, passing and strategy.

BoomBoom
03-05-2017, 04:15 PM

drives me crazy too. should be easy: pick up the pivot foot and it hits the ground while the ball is still in your hand = travelling.

i don't mind the jumping off the other foot, it's when they jump off that foot into a 2-footed jump that i just don't understand how that's not travelling. that is literally 4 steps.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks fellas, and for what it's worth, I understand because I loved Jordan and the "why" and the higher scoring it provides. But the game is about position, passing and strategy.

I loved watching the NBA growing up in the 70's. People played defense they didn't travel, they didn't double dribble and they actually ran plays. It's changed way to much for me. Guess I'm getting old just hard to watch any basketball anymore.

gravedigger
03-05-2017, 04:35 PM
drives me crazy too. should be easy: pick up the pivot foot and it hits the ground while the ball is still in your hand = travelling.

i don't mind the jumping off the other foot, it's when they jump off that foot into a 2-footed jump that i just don't understand how that's not travelling. that is literally 4 steps.

Well boom, it's not a two footed jump. It's the 4 ft distance the non pivot foot step gives you when you pick the pivot foot up. Again I ask, if you HAVE To keep the pivot foot down to rotate, why are you allowed to step and jump off the non pivot with no dribble?

Commercecomet24
03-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Well boom, it's not a two footed jump. It's the 4 ft distance the non pivot foot step gives you when you pick the pivot foot up. Again I ask, if you HAVE To keep the pivot foot down to rotate, why are you allowed to step and jump off the non pivot with no dribble?

Nailed it.

RocketDawg
03-05-2017, 06:38 PM

Yes. And all along I thought it was me, but they really are walking all over the court. Is it a rule change, or just the way traveling is called (or not called)?

gravedigger
03-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Yes. And all along I thought it was me, but they really are walking all over the court. Is it a rule change, or just the way traveling is called (or not called)?

It is nearly a new rule. There are you tube videos explaining why it's not traveling. Might as well urinate on me and tell me its raining.

Here is the scenario that would make it ridiculous. Pivot on right. Long step on left with no dribble and then stand one footed on the left after picking up the right. No dribble. It would be called traveling by 100% of refs. It's not because the player is usually shooting or passing.

My argument is that the acceptance of these have fundamentally changed the nature of the game to a one man show.

The other rule that is a joke is the defensive blocking call when it is simply occupation of space by the defender, moving or not. If you have spacial position and the offensive player initiates contact it is a charge. The defender should not be required to be flat footed , set or still.

Don't get me started on the jumping into the defender to draw a foul.

All of this was adjusted in the game to make it more appealing for tv. And it made it unwatchable. I quit watching the NBA long ago. NCAA basketball is good for the tournament but not much more. NCAA women's basketball was, and largely still is, the closest to the real game. But it's fading fast.

I want the great game back. Y'all can have the and1 train wreck.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2017, 08:29 PM
It is nearly a new rule. There are you tube videos explaining why it's not traveling. Might as well urinate on me and tell me its raining.

Here is the scenario that would make it ridiculous. Pivot on right. Long step on left with no dribble and then stand one footed on the left after picking up the right. No dribble. It would be called traveling by 100% of refs. It's not because the player is usually shooting or passing.

My argument is that the acceptance of these have fundamentally changed the nature of the game to a one man show.

The other rule that is a joke is the defensive blocking call when it is simply occupation of space by the defender, moving or not. If you have spacial position and the offensive player initiates contact it is a charge. The defender should not be required to be flat footed , set or still.

Don't get me started on the jumping into the defender to draw a foul.

All of this was adjusted in the game to make it more appealing for tv. And it made it unwatchable. I quit watching the NBA long ago. NCAA basketball is good for the tournament but not much more. NCAA women's basketball was, and largely still is, the closest to the real game. But it's fading fast.

I want the great game back. Y'all can have the and1 train wreck.

They way you just described it is exactly the way we used to play it! It's all And1 one on one stuff now. Was more fun the way we played it!

Johnson85
03-06-2017, 12:19 AM

That's traveling. But you can do a jump stop without traveling. But at this point, the inability to call traveling correctly is way down the list of problems with officiating, at least with college ball.