http://3rdand57.com/msu-knowing-the-opponent-auburn/

BeastMan
09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Early morning bump

dawgM2
09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
My two keys:

1) establishing the run game early, no matter who the QB is

2) our defensive front 7 must know their assignments and make open field tackles

I can't decide if I want us to run to set up the pass, or take a couple deep shots early to set up the run. Either way, we have to run the ball well. Like you said, AU will most likely try to do something like OKSU did with the read option. Hopefully our D has spent quality time in the film room learning what they did wrong and getting their assignments straightened out. I would also like to think that we put somebody like gabe myles on scout team QB to give our D a good feel for the speed of Nick Marshall.

chef dixon
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Good work. Their running backs are what I'm most concerned with. I think the D brings a lot of juice and we take this one though boys.

Coach34
09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I expect us to give their O some real fits

Pollodawg
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I expect us to give their O some real fits

They won't put up the insane rushing stats on us that they have two chump teams. We have to stop the run, and make Marshall beat us with his arm, which he won't do.

RougeDawg
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
They won't put up the insane rushing stats on us that they have two chump teams. We have to stop the run, and make Marshall beat us with his arm, which he won't do.

From watching Marshall in the Wash. State game, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. His passes were either one hoppers, or off the Gatorade jug. If we do not commit to stopping the run the entire game and don't force him to throw, we are completely incompetent and should fire all coaches. There's no way Auburn can beat us if Marshall is forced to throw the ball. I feel pretty confident in us being able to win this game easily if our coaches use the obvious game plan that will shut down a one dimensional offense. However, after what I've seen from Dan the past 14 games, I'm not confident at all that our coaches will implement the obvious game plan to win and put our players in the best position to win.

That's why this one is a should win in my book, but an iffy one at that. A Freeze, Sumlin, or Spurrier type coach would take our current team and beat Auburn 42-17 Saturday, because they would create a great game plan. A game plan to pound the ball down their throats and make AU throw the ball. Instead we will try to run the same old shit, be arrogant dicks and try to work on the passing game, and expect our generic game plan to work. Working on plays is what the spring is for. The fall is all about W's. Most games I feel like when we get a lead, Dan starts dicking around trying to work on "other plays" to see if they will work, instead of using what is working and putting a team away. Then once the team is put away, you start to work on shit.

We should win. Coaching will determine if we do win. Yes, our bowl hopes ride on this game. For one, morale will be down with a loss, and the fan base will be further lost due to shit coaching.

Bothrops
09-10-2013, 01:32 PM
We will have to have an excellent performance on defense to win down there. But I still think our offense has the tougher job. That atmosphere, combined with "Auburn" officiating makes us have to beat them by 2tds to win by 7. Biggest game of the year for us.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Until I see a competent offensive performance I have lost faith in Mullen. I am going to be putting money on Auburn. I won't mind losing it.

PassInterference
09-10-2013, 01:44 PM
I've got just one key - block them sumbitches and we'll be OK.

civildawg
09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Exactly how I feel. I have no confidence in us at all to go to Auburn and win with Mullen. Hell even Croom could beat auburn every other year or so.

bocfarm
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
They haven't seen a defense like ours this yr that's for sure.... of course they haven't seen an offense like ours either and I don't mean that in a good way.

RougeDawg
09-10-2013, 02:40 PM
They haven't seen a defense like ours this yr that's for sure.... of course they haven't seen an offense like ours either and I don't mean that in a good way.

Yes but ill take our strength(defense) versus their strength(offense). They're nowhere as capable as OK State so we should be able to stop them. The determining factor in winning and losing will be Dan's continued arrogant passing attack or letting Dak and Co. ram it down Gus' pie hole.

Coach 57
09-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Expect the see the diamond formation guys. Even Alcorn threw it at us. The difference is I expect it to be properly executed by AU. We'll see if the D can defend it.

Their weakness is their front 7 as said by Beastman. If we establish the line of scrimmage we'll be fine. I'm really not that overly worried about this game. I think we'll be fine.......IF we limit the T.Is to zero!

Coach34
09-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Well, it's Dak's first road start- so he will have some jitters early probably then settle down

RougeDawg
09-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, it's Dak's first road start- so he will have some jitters early probably then settle down

I pray you are correct on part of this statement.

Pollodawg
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Exactly how I feel. I have no confidence in us at all to go to Auburn and win with Mullen. Hell even Croom could beat auburn every other year or so.

Croom beat Auburn once in the five years he was here. He beat them at Auburn because Derek Pegues had--what--two pick sixes?

Pollodawg
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM

We know this?

hacker
09-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Coach, you just make that up?

Coach34
09-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Coach, you just make that up?

I refuse to accept anything else. I want to have a chance to win- that means Dak starts

Todd4State
09-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Croom beat Auburn once in the five years he was here. He beat them at Auburn because Derek Pegues had--what--two pick sixes?

The 3-2 game should be vacated by both teams for all intents and purposes.

Pollodawg
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I would love nothing more than to see Dak go out Saturday and make some plays. Tyler has had his chance. We need to stick with the horse that got us respectable again.

dparker
09-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I would love nothing more than to see Dak go out Saturday and make some plays. Tyler has had his chance. We need to stick with the horse that got us respectable again.

Really? One win against Alcorn State does not respectable make.

Pollodawg
09-10-2013, 06:44 PM

No, but running the offense that won us 9 games in 2010 and beat UF in The Swamp does. That's the offense we were built to run, not the half air raid/ half spread crap we're doing with Russell. With Dak--a better QB than Relf ever dreamed of being--we can be respectable on offense again.

BeastMan
09-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Expect the see the diamond formation guys. Even Alcorn threw it at us. The difference is I expect it to be properly executed by AU. We'll see if the D can defend it.

Their weakness is their front 7 as said by Beastman. If we establish the line of scrimmage we'll be fine. I'm really not that overly worried about this game. I think we'll be fine.......IF we limit the T.Is to zero!

I agree 100% coach. Even if they don't throw the exact diamond formation at us, they will run an assignment based rushing attack to see if we've cleaned that up. Will be a great test to see how well Collins adjusts. Im excited to see that

codeDawg
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Why don't we run the damn diamond? Dak, Perk, JRob, Sump. How the hell do you stop that?

Coach34
09-10-2013, 07:36 PM

It's not just his play vs Alcorn

It's the way the offense flowed with him running the show
It was the imagination infused into the offense with him in there
It is his TD passes vs OM and Bama when he got mop-up chances
It was his TD passes vs Tenn and LSU early in those games to get us off to a good start
It's his toughness
It's his energy that he brings
It's his quicker decision-making

I'm tired of square peg-round hole offense that good teams smother

TrueMaroon
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Why don't we run the damn diamond? Dak, Perk, JRob, Sump. How the hell do you stop that?

If ever there was need for a *^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^* post, this is it.

Bothrops
09-10-2013, 10:53 PM

That game was nice. We just went in there and physically whipped their ass in front of 80+ thousand. One of Croom's most impressive wins.

Dawg61
09-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I refuse to accept anything else. I want to have a chance to win- that means Dak starts

Good lord it's Auburn not Alabama. We beat them last year with Russell and if he starts this year we can beat them again with Russell. They have a good front 7 and some RB's. They are very average everywhere else on the field. We'll win this game.

TopDog58
09-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Jesus, some of y'all are going off the deep end. You don't have to act Sixpack cool here.

Coach 57
09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Some of you people lack some if any intestinal fortitude. I feel very good about the game Saturday no matter WHO starts @ QB. I would certainly rather Dak be in there but if Tyler starts & starts struggling Dan will put Dak in anyways. He has too. All coaches are hard headed but if he wants to break the mold & chains of being an average coach....he sees what we see. That Dak needs to play. I personally think he may have told the staff this could be the make or break game for Tyler. The writing is ALL ON THE WALL. I assure you....he sees it.

FISHDAWG
09-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I think the secondary of AU < the DL & LB's ..... Russell is not a bad play against these guys ... hide Dak until LSU then unleash a NEW offensive scheme designed around Dak