PDA

View Full Version : Great OM take from the Florida Times Union

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Great take on OM from the Florida Times Union. Winning at all costs and lying about it isn't worth it
http://jacksonville.com/sports/columnists/gene-frenette/2017-03-02/gene-frenette-ole-miss-may-learn-same-hard-lesson-1980s

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Auburn proved with Cam Newton that there are times when the rewards of what you get by cheating are definitely worth it. Got a NC and never suffered any NCAA punishment.

Pollodawg
03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Auburn proved with Cam Newton that there are times when the rewards of what you get by cheating are definitely worth it. Got a NC and never suffered any NCAA punishment.

Yup. AU beg to differ.

ShotgunDawg
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM

IMO this is the singular event that opened Pandora's box. It's absolutely embarrassing that Auburn or Cam Newton was never punished for this.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
IMO this is the singular event that opened Pandora's box. It's absolutely embarrassing that Auburn or Cam Newton was never punished for this.

Yep, and what is about to happen to Ole Miss very well may close it for a long time.

Political Hack
03-03-2017, 01:29 PM

It was a huge catalyst.

Bubb Rubb
03-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Auburn's "All In" was the template. Dan Mullen was the match. Three straight Egg Bowls and a few billboards were the fuses.

Nice job, Ole Miss.

Political Hack
03-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Someone quoted this to me a long time ago and I don't remember exactly where it came from, except it came from an Auburn booster...

"Yeah, we go on probation every once in a while, but we also win a national championship every once in a while too."

Johnson85
03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Yep, and what is about to happen to Ole Miss very well may close it for a long time.

Maybe. They still aren't touching any of the big boys in the SEC.

The NCAA had Auburn red handed, and had to (a) pretend that they did not know Cam was aware of the bidding war (they heard him on voicemail answering a question from Cecil about who had offered what) and (b) pretend that there was some new loophole where the athlete wasn't impacted as long as the parent kept him out of the loop of negotiations.

The SEC bigs may think they're still untouchable. I think that was a one time rabbit out of a hat that even Slive probably couldn't have pulled every time (I think if Auburn had already lost and they weren't looking at the championship game implications, the NCAA would have hit auburn with a decent penalty and nothing Slive threatened would have changed it). I think if it had been later in the string of SEC dominance when there was more frustration from other conferences about SEC cheating, they woudl have been popped notwithstanding title game implications.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-03-2017, 03:10 PM
The comments to the article tho .....

JoseBrown
03-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Daisy, Daisy,Daisy... If they were caught funneling $15,000 to a liar, Leo Lewis, wonder how much they funneled to an honest Laremy Tunsil? And family, friends and go-betweens... Hahaha

NYDawg
03-03-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm still waiting for the "You're just mad because Freeze turned down the Florida job" comment. You know someone over there still believes they wanted Freeze...

I'm not touching Daisy's choice of words with a 20-foot pole.