PDA

View Full Version : Early reports on K Thompson

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Reading social media it sounds like Thompson was very impressive even though it was the first day. Mullen commented on it and Fitz said he was surprised how good he looked. Did anyone catch practice or see the Facebook feed?

BeardoMSU
03-02-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm glad he's doing well. I still want him to RS though. We need that. Hopefully someone else can be the garbage time QB.

HoopsDawg
03-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Rankin at Center??? SMH.

lamont
03-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Rankin at Center? Hoooooo-leeeeee-shit

BeardoMSU
03-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Rankin at Center??? SMH.

That's just preparing him for one of Mullen's top secret trick plays, where Rankin will snap the ball from his LT position***

BeardoMSU
03-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Hoooooo-leeeeee-shit

Are there many 6'7" centers in football? Basketball, yes. Football? I'm not sure...**

defiantdog
Rankin at Center??? SMH.
Calhoun is injured and Moon will be his back up

MSUDawg99
Rankin at Center? Hoooooo-leeeeee-shit

Nm

BayouDawg
03-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Freakin Hev. At this point all I can do is laugh.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Rankin at Center??? SMH.

Obviously our coaches feel better about our tackles than this board does

msstate7
03-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Are there many 6'7" centers in football? Basketball, yes. Football? I'm not sure...**

Think he's 6'5"

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Where did Jenkins line up? Who were the primary tackles?

fader2103
03-02-2017, 10:06 PM
That's just preparing him for one of Mullen's top secret trick plays, where Rankin will snap the ball from his LT position***

Is that the same play where he runs down the field acting like he's lost?

lamont
03-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Calhoun is injured and Moon will be his back up

So why isnt Moon working there with the 1st group???? Rankin working there with the 1st group means Moon aint worth a ****

This is simply awful recruiting year after year

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:16 PM
So why isnt Moon working there with the 1st group???? Rankin working there with the 1st group means Moon aint worth a ****

Nice melt over day 1 of spring PRACTICE

lamont
03-02-2017, 10:22 PM

No melt. Just pointing out how shitty your OL is when your LT cant get reps at LT because he has to play Center due to your lack of recruiting

NCDawg
03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

It's true, though. Year after year, it's the same thing, and we keep an incompetent offensive line coach because he is the HC's friend. No way we will get to Atlanta.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Obviously our coaches feel better about our tackles than this board does

Ole Miss would be proud of this spin.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:26 PM

Jenkins was injured per Dan's interview. He didn't really mention any other o-line positions besides center because he was specifically asked about center.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:28 PM
It's true, though. Year after year, it's the same thing, and we keep an incompetent offensive line coach because he is the HC's friend. No way we will get to Atlanta.

I'm hopeful the o-line recruiting will at least start to turn around this year. Even if it does it's going to take whoever we recruit a few years to get acclimated. I'll be pissed if Key suffers the same fate that Dak did his senior year because of our lack of o-line play.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:29 PM
No melt. Just pointing out how shitty your OL is when your LT cant get reps at LT because he has to play Center due to your lack of recruiting

Then obviously our backup tackles are less "shitty" than our backup center by your reasoning

lamont
03-02-2017, 10:30 PM
If we were lining Fitz up at Slot because people were hurt MSState7 maybe would understand we have a lack of recruiting- but apparently all this is over his head

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Jenkins was injured per Dan's interview. He didn't really mention any other o-line positions besides center because he was specifically asked about center.

So this is this out of a Mullen presser? Did Mullen say Rankin worked exclusive at center?

ShotgunDawg
03-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm glad he's doing well. I still want him to RS though. We need that. Hopefully someone else can be the garbage time QB.

I'd play him. You never know when Fitz will go down and even without redshirting, he'll still be in line to start for two years.

Particularly if we land a top another top QB recruit prior to the season.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:32 PM
If we were lining Fitz up at Slot because people were hurt MSState7 maybe would understand we have a lack of recruiting- but apparently all this is over his head

Who worked at the tackle spots? Was Rankin the only one at center? Did Rankin play any other position today?

lamont
03-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Then obviously our backup tackles are less "shitty" than our backup center by your reasoning

you have to have a guy at Center that can handle the position and make calls or your offense will be shit. Plus make the snap. Your OT's can be ****ing horrible but it doesnt matter- you have to get the snap above everything

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:34 PM
So this is this out of a Mullen presser? Did Mullen say Rankin worked exclusive at center?

Yes it is out of a Mullen press conference. No, he didn't say that he worked exclusively at center but when asked the question who worked at center today "Martinas" was the first name out of his mouth so glean from that what you will. He also mentioned Elgton Jenkins at center before Moon as well.

My guess is Moon ends up at U T CHATTANOOGA with his friend Tiano before his career ends but we'll see.

Covercorner2

Who said Rankin was working with the 1st group?

lamont
I'd play him. You never know when Fitz will go down and even without redshirting, he'll still be in line to start for two years.

Got to play Thompson. We dont have anybody else. Fitz helmet pops off? New QB has to come in. Play Thompson the next 2 years then he is 100% ready to start in 2019

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Yes it is out of a Mullen press conference. No, he didn't say that he worked exclusively at center but when asked the question who worked at center today "Martinas" was the first name out of his mouth so glean from that what you will. He also mentioned Elgton Jenkins at center before Moon as well.

My guess is Moon ends up at U T CHATTANOOGA with his friend Tiano before his career ends but we'll see.

So this melt is over the biggest troll in the sec answering questions in a presser. Jeez...

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:37 PM

With the new redshirt rules, my guess is we could technically redshirt him next year if he plays in four games or less if we have to play him more than four this year because of an injury to Fitz. I'm not 100% on that but it makes sense to me since every once in awhile a player would play as a true freshman and then redshirt the next year.

At any rate, the new redshirt rule will help us out immensely.

Covercorner2
03-02-2017, 10:37 PM
So this melt is over the biggest troll in the sec answering questions in a presser. Jeez...

Yep. Mentioning someone's name first means they are the starter**

Lol

HoopsDawg
03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Who worked at the tackle spots? Was Rankin the only one at center? Did Rankin play any other position today?

Rankin mainly worked at Center. I still expect Calhoun to be the center but he is out due to injury. Just Hev being Hev. He always does stupid shit in the spring but this takes the cake. Especially if it continues all spring. Rankin needs to be perfecting LT and we should have Williams or someone else working at C.

lamont
03-02-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm glad nothing changes around here whether we lose to South Alabama and BYU or not.

We got OL problems people

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:43 PM

Do you really think Dan was trolling his own fanbase after we just gave him a four year extension? He didn't say it like Dan being a smartass at all. It was just he answered the question that he was asked which was who worked at center. He talked about Martinas the most of the three. He mentioned that he was the only senior o-lineman and had to be a leader.

This "melt" is because we shouldn't be in a position where we have to break up the most effective left side of the o-line since Dan has been here because Hevesy absolutely sucks at recruiting. Not to mention the folly of not redshirting Jamaal Clayborn- which we actually had TWO chances to do since he barely played in 2014 because he had some family issues which I think was a death in the family. If Clayborn is back as a fifth year senior our o-line would absolutely be a strength this upcoming year.

Covercorner2
03-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Rankin mainly worked at Center. I still expect Calhoun to be the center but he is out due to injury. Just Hev being Hev. He always does stupid shit in the spring but this takes the cake. Especially if it continues all spring. Rankin needs to be perfecting LT and we should have Williams or someone else working at C.

Williams is hurt, too.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Yep. Mentioning someone's name first means they are the starter**

Lol

He not only mentioned him first- he also talked about him the most. I don't know very many coaches that talk about their back-ups like that.

Covercorner2
03-02-2017, 10:47 PM
I'm glad nothing changes around here whether we lose to South Alabama and BYU or not.

We may have OL probs, but melting because a guy gets reps at another position IN THE SPRING because 2 of the leading candidates there are hurt is a bit much

HoopsDawg
03-02-2017, 10:47 PM

But, but we made a bowl game!

We have 1 tackle and maybe 1 center in Calhoun, maybe. And we have about 4 guards. Definitely feeling the hurt of Hevs recruiting this year.

Covercorner2
03-02-2017, 10:48 PM
He not only mentioned him first- he also talked about him the most. I don't know very many coaches that talk about their back-ups like that.

Geez

HoopsDawg
03-02-2017, 10:50 PM
We may have OL probs, but melting because a guy gets reps at another position IN THE SPRING because 2 of the leading candidates there are hurt is a bit muooch what concerns me is he worked there in bowl practices some too. Calhoun didn't.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 10:55 PM
Geez

I'm just telling people what DAN said in the interview. It's not like I'm pulling this out of my ass. Heck- it's up on youtube and it's not like it's some super secret premium content.

You talk about how "well Calhoun will be the center or Williams or whoever but they're hurt"- but yet in the same interview while answering the SAME question Dan mentioned that Jenkins would get some looks there too but he's injured. So, if you are right why didn't he mention Calhoun at center? He may have forgotten about Calhoun but I seriously doubt he would have forgotten who his projected starter would be at that position if Calhoun was actually projected to start there.

Reading between the lines as of today which will probably change, my guess based on what Dan said is our o-line will probably be:

LT- Jenkins
LG- Story
C- Rankin
RG- Calhoun- and maybe you flip the guards knowing Hevesy
RT- ???????? But if I had to guess it would be Eiland if you want me to be honest.

Edit to say that he didn't talk about the other o-line positions but those are the guys he mentioned the most as the "leaders".

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:55 PM
what concerns me is he worked there in bowl practices some too. Calhoun didn't.

What if rankin is a better center than he is a tackle? I don't know what the deal is but we just gave the man a raise and an extension so I think we trust him... maybe we should just let him work and criticize him come September if it doesn't work

thf24
03-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Anyone who doesn't know at this point that Hev/Mullen play musical chairs with the OL reps every Spring and that it usually has no bearing on who will actually play where has to have been trying pretty hard not to pay attention.

Covercorner2
03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Anyone who doesn't know at this point that Hev/Mullen play musical chairs with the OL reps every Spring and that it usually has no bearing on who will actually play where has to have been trying pretty hard not to pay attention.

Exactly

msstate7
03-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Maybe since Calhoun is out and we wanna get a bunch of snaps for our young tackles so we put rankin at center. See which young tackle separates himself this spring and put him at RT.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 11:00 PM
What if rankin is a better center than he is a tackle? I don't know what the deal is but we just gave the man a raise and an extension so I think we trust him... maybe we should just let him work and criticize him come September if it doesn't work

The deal is we don't have a center.

HoopsDawg
03-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Ah, the trust the coaches line. Hilarious coming from you. But ok, no more football talk till September.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Ah, the trust the coaches line. Hilarious coming from you. But ok, no more football talk till September.

I don't melt preseason... I melt once the games start haha

msstate7
03-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Not surprising that this thread was about our young stud qb looking good and it shifted to oline. We can't talk about key looking good

Ifyouonlyknew
03-02-2017, 11:17 PM
1st day melt I'm impressed

thf24
03-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Seriously, if you're melting down over day 1 of a Dan Mullen spring practice, either you haven't been around very long or you're looking for something to be mad at.

ShotgunDawg
03-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Moon = Jake Thomas 2.0.

Doesn't have the right mentality to be successful in this league. We recruit to many "good kids" and not enough guys with a chip on their shoulder that can flat play.

Hev needs to read about Angela Duckworth and "grit". Find people that have overcome obstacles and refuse to fail.

Corn Bread
03-02-2017, 11:37 PM

Good Grief, so I take it Leo was on the field or this site would be nuked.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Moon = Jake Thomas 2.0.

Doesn't have the right mentality to be successful in this league. We recruit to many "good kids" and not enough guys with a chip on their shoulder that can flat play.

Hev needs to read about Angela Duckworth and "grit". Find people that have overcome obstacles and refuse to fail.

Our problem is we don't recruit enough guys period. I would imagine we average only 3 HS o-linemen a class the past five years.

justwin
03-02-2017, 11:44 PM
I'm hopeful the o-line recruiting will at least start to turn around this year. Even if it does it's going to take whoever we recruit a few years to get acclimated. I'll be pissed if Key suffers the same fate that Dak did his senior year because of our lack of o-line play.

Dak's sr year was incompetent RBs in Shump & Holloway. Not the OL. Shump found multiple ways to lose game to LSU. Aeris & DLee should've gotten 10+ carries each vs USM opening game after RS'ing and been lead guys rest of the year. That's why the midget who signed with LSU a few weeks ago was so big for our program so it wouldn't ruin Key's jr & sr year. Instead, Key is going to be paired exclusively with Kylin. Tyler's jr & sr year was ruined by Perkins like Dak with Shump & Holloway in 2015. You can't tell me that the soph J-Rob shouldn't have played over perk. J-Rob was why we made the run in 2014 as a jr.

Hopefully, we can sign another big powerful RB this class and no midgets for the sake of Key's sr year.

justwin
03-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Reading social media it sounds like Thompson was very impressive even though it was the first day. Mullen commented on it and Fitz said he was surprised how good he looked. Did anyone catch practice or see the Facebook feed?

dude won Louisiana as a senior. He's legit. Not like playing pattycake at IMG in FL. Winning Louisiana is big time.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 11:48 PM
LOL at people talking about "melting". We either have a lot of sheep or a lot of people that don't understand how important the o-line is. If people don't want to talk about our team in an objective way or get offended when we are talking about our team in an objective way, well here's a link:

http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/

As for me it's going to be pretty hilarious at the spin when Rankin is named the center. Of course we already have that with "Who knows he may be even better at center?" Hilarious.

KB21
03-02-2017, 11:50 PM

I see this false agenda is still being pushed.

The reason Martinas is getting reps at center is because the projected starter Calhoun is out, and the guy who is projected to be his back up Williams is also out. Moon is the 3rd center at this point.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 11:51 PM
LOL at people talking about "melting". We either have a lot of sheep or a lot of people that don't understand how important the o-line is. If people don't want to talk about our team in an objective way or get offended when we are talking about our team in an objective way, well here's a link:

As for me it's going to be pretty hilarious at the spin when Rankin is named the center. Of course we already have that with "Who knows he may be even better at center?" Hilarious.

You and random are not objective... you hate Mullen. I'm a Mullen guy, so I'm not objective either. IYOK is objective and he called it a melt

Ifyouonlyknew
03-02-2017, 11:52 PM

I'll take that bet on Rankin & center.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Dak's sr year was incompetent RBs in Shump & Holloway. Not the OL. Shump found multiple ways to lose game to LSU. Aeris & DLee should've gotten 10+ carries each vs USM opening game after RS'ing and been lead guys rest of the year. That's why the midget who signed with LSU a few weeks ago was so big for our program so it wouldn't ruin Key's jr & sr year. Instead, Key is going to be paired exclusively with Kylin. Tyler's jr & sr year was ruined by Perkins like Dak with Shump & Holloway in 2015. You can't tell me that the soph J-Rob shouldn't have played over perk. J-Rob was why we made the run in 2014 as a jr.

Hopefully, we can sign another big powerful RB this class and no midgets for the sake of Key's sr year.

I agree with that- Dan's offense needs to have a between the tackles running back just as much as he needs a dual threat QB to work. At the same time- Rufus Warren was terrible at LT and Desper struggled and that should have been addressed before Dak's senior year. It's just frustrating to me as "Joe Fan" so look at a depth chart and see that we don't have any centers like two years out, mention it on message boards while we're chasing random projects OT's from Georgia and God knows where else and not addressing the issue. Even if it's not Rankin it's going to be someone that is inexperienced and it could be an issue.

msstate7
03-02-2017, 11:53 PM
I see this false agenda is still being pushed.

The reason Martinas is getting reps at center is because the projected starter Calhoun is out, and the guy who is projected to be his back up Williams is also out. Moon is the 3rd center at this point.

Any time table on Daryl Williams returning?

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 12:02 AM
You and random are not objective... you hate Mullen. I'm a Mullen guy, so I'm not objective either. IYOK is objective and he called it a melt

WTF? Yeah- I criticized the hell out of him when he ran Holloway up the middle, looked like he didn't give a shit and then promptly followed that up by losing to South Alabama not to mention Hevesy's recruiting. I've also been one of the first to praise him for as I said "making the changes I wanted to see"- including hiring a new DC which exceeded my expectations, finishing recruiting strong, hiring Looney to replace Sallach and possibly Hevesy down the road among other things and saying that he should have gotten the extension he did- and yet "I hate him"? If you read my posts I'm a lot more objective than some on here. I call it like it is good and bad. Some people don't like it when I call out the bad- but a lot of the time it's warranted and it turns out that many of the things I've criticized over the years Dan has changed.

I criticize not because I hate- it's because I want to be the best and I can see room for improvement and I want to see improvement. Heck- I do that to myself everyday in my own job. And every single time Dan has made a change that I liked- I've been one of the first to say so.

You on the other hand just blindly trust until you freak out- probably about the same things I initially complain- oh, I'm sorry "melt"- about during a game thread- apparently because I honestly don't read those too often unless I'm not at the game.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 12:03 AM
I'll take that bet on Rankin & center.

OK- I can laugh at you when Rankin is named the center and you can laugh at me when he isn't. Deal?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-03-2017, 12:04 AM
OK- I can laugh at you when Rankin is named the center and you can laugh at me when he isn't. Deal?

Deal

HSVDawg
03-03-2017, 12:11 AM
My question is why are we rebooting this exact same bitchfest knowing full well that after we whiffed on a million targets in the 2015 class that this was going to be an issue starting right about now? None of this is news. Hev showed some improvement in the 2016 class with some guys he brought in. Maybe some of those guys will be able to step in and play, but we likely won't know until August. Spring practice will always be spring practice, its pointless to start bitching this damn early. And yeah, Moon probably sucks. So what. So do 40-50% of OL that have signed with any school, ever. It's a difficult position to evaluate and always will be. Let it play out with what we have on hand in August before losing your shit, folks.

Johnson85
03-03-2017, 12:20 AM

You've lost you're fire since we extended you. Heard you showed up in shorts today and grinned through the entire practice.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 12:21 AM
My question is why are we rebooting this exact same bitchfest knowing full well that after we whiffed on a million targets in the 2015 class that this was going to be an issue starting right about now? None of this is news. Hev showed some improvement in the 2016 class with some guys he brought in. Maybe some of those guys will be able to step in and play, but we likely won't know until August. Spring practice will always be spring practice, its pointless to start bitching this damn early. And yeah, Moon probably sucks. So what. So do 40-50% of OL that have signed with any school, ever. It's a difficult position to evaluate and always will be. Let it play out with what we have on hand in August before losing your shit, folks.

Not really. He brought in Suggs who I agree will be pretty good. But then he has a grade risk in Cooper and a project in Richardson from the high school ranks and that's it. Then from the JUCO ranks he has two guys that we'll probably have to redshirt from what I have heard after missing out on our top JUCO RT target that we needed so we wouldn't have to start an underclassman there. And yes, I know there is a good chance that Cooper makes it and I think if he does he will be good but that's not how you want to live in recruiting- hoping you find a bunch of guys that are grade risks and then hoping for the best.

And you are right about it being a difficult position to evaluate- that's why we need to bring in five a year from the high school ranks and not three. Especially if we're redshirting JUCO o-linemen anyway. Sure some of those five won't pan out, but you process them and hopefully at least 2-3 do pan out in a class and then after you process out then you go get a JUCO guy or two.

DancingRabbit
03-03-2017, 12:22 AM

+1

Leroy Jenkins
03-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Rankin is more draftable as an interior o-lineman, staff just trying to HABU that's all.

HSVDawg
03-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Not really. He brought in Suggs who I agree will be pretty good. But then he has a grade risk in Cooper and a project in Richardson from the high school ranks and that's it. Then from the JUCO ranks he has two guys that we'll probably have to redshirt from what I have heard after missing out on our top JUCO RT target that we needed so we wouldn't have to start an underclassman there. And yes, I know there is a good chance that Cooper makes it and I think if he does he will be good but that's not how you want to live in recruiting- hoping you find a bunch of guys that are grade risks and then hoping for the best.

And you are right about it being a difficult position to evaluate- that's why we need to bring in five a year from the high school ranks and not three. Especially if we're redshirting JUCO o-linemen anyway. Sure some of those five won't pan out, but you process them and hopefully at least 2-3 do pan out in a class and then after you process out then you go get a JUCO guy or two.

I agree with bringing in a lot of OL per year. But the last class was an improvement no matter how you slice it. It's still not where we need to be by any means in terms of annual OL recruiting, but is way better than the class that preceded it.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 12:55 AM
I agree with bringing in a lot of OL per year. But the last class was an improvement no matter how you slice it. It's still not where we need to be by any means in terms of annual OL recruiting, but is way better than the class that preceded it.

That's debatable depending on how you look at it- Reese will probably start for us and Eiland could start this year and will probably start. Parker is a project. But there are no JUCO's in the 2016 class unlike our last class. IMO the high school guys in the 2016 class are about the same as the high school guys in the 2017 class if we're just looking at the high school recruits. Now, I do agree that if you add in the JUCO guys it's an improvement because I do think at the very least Champion will start at some point and maybe Phillips depending on how he develops vs. the zero JUCO's in the 2016 class where we should have brought in two in that class.

Like you said, it's still not where it needs to be and that's the problem. My hope is that Looney will help fix it and I do like Dolla Bill Johnson in the 2018 class and that's a good start at the very least.

TimberBeast
03-03-2017, 01:54 AM

Exactly, well said. I am just curious what defective running back mullen will start over Aeris this season.

bulldawg28
03-03-2017, 06:38 AM
All of these John Madden's who know more than Mullen. Sheessh.

PassInterference
03-03-2017, 07:01 AM
I'm just gonna close my eyes & ears and hope y'all are wrong.

Political Hack
03-03-2017, 07:42 AM
If Rankin stays at center I'm going to personally lead the pitchfork and torch march on Hev's office.

Dawgface
03-03-2017, 07:42 AM
On a non-melting note......are there any practices open to the public this Spring? If so....when?

whosyourdawgy
03-03-2017, 07:46 AM
So I open this thread to read about how our incoming freshman qb looked on the FIRST DAY OF SPRING PRACTICE and instead its hacked by the same people that bitch about the same shit every mother ****ing day of the year. Can we please just set up a board titled "OFFENSIVE LINE SUCKS" or "Hevesy Haters" or something so the other 99 percent of the board doesn't have to read this shit anymore. Damn this is some ridiculous shit to read on the first freaking day of spring practice.

basedog
03-03-2017, 07:50 AM
The agenda lives!

One day of practice, damn.

IYOK, Todd would kick your ass in play station decisions, he is Bear Bryant made all over.

Random, you need to C34 to teach you more patience after one day of practice or even spring practices. Nothing wrong with moving folks around to see, after all they aren't doing a lot of hitting right now, kinda like window shopping.

What a meltdown, Fire Mullen!****

msstate7
03-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Speaking of the oline, anyone know where my fellow Philadelphian (Eiland) was working at yesterday?

MarketingBully
03-03-2017, 08:11 AM
So I open this thread to read about how our incoming freshman qb looked on the FIRST DAY OF SPRING PRACTICE and instead its hacked by the same people that bitch about the same shit every mother ****ing day of the year. Can we please just set up a board titled "OFFENSIVE LINE SUCKS" or "Hevesy Haters" or something so the other 99 percent of the board doesn't have to read this shit anymore. Damn this is some ridiculous shit to read on the first freaking day of spring practice.

At least this is MSU related.

FISHDAWG
03-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Spring training is also for experimentation ..... everyone needs to have a drink, relax, and see what happens

smootness
03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
A thread is created about the early reports on our big-time QB signee, and within 2 POSTS, it becomes a hissy fit over our LT getting some reps at center, and then continues for 5 pages.

Sounds about right.

Can we separate the OL talk so we can have a discussion on Key Thompson?

WSOPdawg
03-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Not surprising that this thread was about our young stud qb looking good and it shifted to oline. We can't talk about key looking good

You sneaky bastards... here I was wanting to read about Key and damn if y'all didn't trap me into another OL thread -- Y'all not right!!!

basedog
Spring training is also for experimentation ..... everyone needs to have a drink, relax, and see what happens

Ha, that will never happen, some are beyond a drink.

Spring practice = Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Experiment, Experiment, see who can play and what positions better suit them. With less than 20 practices and not all in full gear, mostly the unproven players get the most reps, also if a player is better suited for another player you move him.
Good example of spring practice and moving folks around, one spring I was competing with an upper classmate for the starting QB position, then he was tried at safety which he never played defense before. Dude turned out to be a star with great instincts for reading the play and reacting to the ball. You never know what is best if you don't move folks around, also playing or practicing another position is a good thing, makes you more aware of what is going on around you.

Where is Coach57? He knows football.

Fire The Agenda, as a famous basketball player once said "practice, we talking about practice"! And the first day, what a bunch of crap!

1bigdawg
Question: Mullen did not list Williams as being out for being injured. Several posters have said that if he or Calhoun were ok, then they would be playing center. The question is, "Is Williams out?"

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 09:14 AM

Yep.

And we're not talking about a stud LT that has the LT position mastered so he doesn't need work there....we're talking about a guy that needs work at LT but is having to play C bc we can't field a guy that can snap a football.

Calhoun's backup should be the one at Center. Not our LT. Where is Moon? Where is last year's backup Center, Williams?

Glad to hear Key had a good looking first day. Wish he had an OL.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Question: Mullen did not list Williams as being out for being injured. Several posters have said that if he or Calhoun were ok, then they would be playing center. The question is, "Is Williams out?"

Williams is the Paul Young of football. He's a ghost, like the Sasquatch or Lochness, say his name and your screen turns to ice. I've been asking about him since his injury....we have people that know when Freeze farts, but nobody knows if Daryl Williams is on our team anymore.

whosyourdawgy
03-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Really need one of the mods, preferably one of the ones that hacked this thread to another offensive line bitch fest, to change the name on the topic line to "another offensive line thread" so other posters like me that wouldn't have clicked it can save precious time and breathes. And in the future, for the love of God, stop hacking threads for this reason. Makes the board not fun to read. I'm all about stating opinions and rumors and whatever else anyone wants to talk about. Just don't have a topic line that makes you think you are about to read some good shit about our new stud QB only to find out it's a rehashing of shit we've read a million freaking times.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Williams is the Paul Young of football. He's a ghost, like the Sasquatch or Lochness, say his name and your screen turns to ice. I've been asking about him since his injury....we have people that know when Freeze farts, but nobody knows if Daryl Williams is on our team anymore.

IYOK told me Williams will be back

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Moon = Jake Thomas 2.0.

I think you are right. Dillon Day had that grit and mentality, even if he wasn't overly talented, and we only signed him out of desperation on signing day. Oh yea, he turned out to be a 4 year starter at Center.

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Our problem is we don't recruit enough guys period. I would imagine we average only 3 HS o-linemen a class the past five years.

Yep, we are pretty much locked in to taking a couple of JUCO OL every year just to balance the classes out. When you only sign 3 to 4 HS OL per year, and then you lose 1 or 2 of those along the way, you pretty much HAVE to backfill with JUCOs.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
nm

Gutter Cobreh
03-03-2017, 10:18 AM

The ability to shift a thread about Thompson to the OL within the first 2-3 responses is a skill. The "melt" or "#agenda" after day 1 is a bit surprising, but not out of the norm for some here.

You being impressed scares me...Would have thought you would have expected this and makes me worried for some once the actual games start getting played.

#hijacked

At least this is MSU related.

This can't be stated enough!!! While my dislike for Ole Miss runs deep, this is an MSU board and it's nice to read about MSU related items (even if it is sensationalism and dramatics at its finest).

You sneaky bastards... here I was wanting to read about Key and damn if y'all didn't trap me into another OL thread -- Y'all not right!!!

Best comment on the entire thread!!!!

Ifyouonlyknew
03-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I think you are right. Dillon Day had that grit and mentality, even if he wasn't overly talented, and we only signed him out of desperation on signing day. Oh yea, he turned out to be a 4 year starter at Center.

That's not really true. We had been on Day for months. He came to camp & wanted an offer. We told him he needed to gain some weight & get his grades together & he would get an offer by signing day. He added the weight & got his grades in order & he got his scholarship.

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 10:24 AM
nm

Oh yes, we certainly knew about him and were showing him interest. But calling a spade a spade, he only got an offer ON SIGNING DAY because we missed on several other OL prospects we were after at the end (as per usual). He was committed to LT all the way down to the end waiting on us.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Oh yes, we certainly knew about him and were showing him interest. But calling a spade a spade, he only got an offer ON SIGNING DAY because we missed on several other OL prospects we were after at the end (as per usual). He was committed to LT all the way down to the end waiting on us.

Now we complain about when we get the commitment from a successful olineman

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Now we complain about when we get the commitment from a successful olineman

Good grief, the complaint is that we weren't that interested in Day, who did have an attitude and an edge to him, and were lucky to get him at the end and he ended up being one of the most successful OL that Hevesy has signed. If you think I was complaining that we got a commitment from him then you didn't read what I wrote. I love people who love to complain about people complaining which we get a lot of on this board.

FISHDAWG
03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Ha, that will never happen, some are beyond a drink.

Spring practice = Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Experiment, Experiment, see who can play and what positions better suit them. With less than 20 practices and not all in full gear, mostly the unproven players get the most reps, also if a player is better suited for another player you move him.
Good example of spring practice and moving folks around, one spring I was competing with an upper classmate for the starting QB position, then he was tried at safety which he never played defense before. Dude turned out to be a star with great instincts for reading the play and reacting to the ball. You never know what is best if you don't move folks around, also playing or practicing another position is a good thing, makes you more aware of what is going on around you.

Where is Coach57? He knows football.

Fire The Agenda, as a famous basketball player once said "practice, we talking about practice"! And the first day, what a bunch of crap!

Hornback ???

lamont
03-03-2017, 11:19 AM
We have plenty of good football minds here.

Nobody disputes the Spring is the time for fundamentals and experimentation. However, LT is the most important position on the OL and it takes a lot of work to be a good one. Putting our LT at Center because we don't really have one currently just highlights the biggest problem of the Mullen Era. It's beyond frustrating after 8 years to not have a healthy Center the 1st day of Spring practice.

It's not an agenda- it's just a fact.

BHildreth3
03-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Nobody disputes the Spring is the time for fundamentals and experimentation. However, LT is the most important position on the OL and it takes a lot of work to be a good one. Putting our LT at Center because we don't really have one currently just highlights the biggest problem of the Mullen Era. It's beyond frustrating after 8 years to not have a healthy Center the 1st day of Spring practice.

The truth hurts. This is pathetic and still to me a reason to kick Dan to the curb.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
The truth hurts. This is pathetic and still to me a reason to kick Dan to the curb.

Definetely should fire Mullen over playing Rankin at center yesterday**

smootness
03-03-2017, 11:30 AM
The reason we don't currently have a healthy center is because both Calhoun and Williams are out injured, is it not?

Just seems like a bit of an overreaction here. It seems like we're probably just making sure Rankin spends a little time at center in case we find ourselves in a similar position during the season.

BB30
03-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Speaking of the oline, anyone know where my fellow Philadelphian (Eiland) was working at yesterday?

I heard he was working at CB and that is where he will start****

LC Dawg
03-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Great thread on our new quarterback's first day. I would have learned more about him if he had lined up at center.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 11:49 AM
The reason we don't currently have a healthy center is because both Calhoun and Williams are out injured, is it not?

Just seems like a bit of an overreaction here. It seems like we're probably just making sure Rankin spends a little time at center in case we find ourselves in a similar position during the season.

Yeah, but are Mullen and Hev to blame for Calhoun and Williams being injured? I think so... so sick of their crap

JoseBrown
03-03-2017, 11:51 AM

On top of that, isn't he(the LT) the JuCo transfer that took a year and a half to learn it's ok to move as the ball is snapped? Instead of waiting 4 seconds after the snap to begin play? Not sure, but seems like it took him a while to learn to play his position decently well. Hope he doesn't spend too much time trying to learn other positions.

But on the positive, we have a few extra DL we could always move to LT if he needs to play C.*****

Buddy
03-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Great thread on our new quarterback's first day. I would have learned more about him if he had lined up at center.

My thoughts exactly. I opened up the thread to read about KT and all I got was complaints about our OL.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 11:54 AM
On top of that, isn't he(the LT) the JuCo transfer that took a year and a half to learn it's ok to move as the ball is snapped? Instead of waiting 4 seconds after the snap to begin play? Not sure, but seems like it took him a while to learn to play his position decently well. Hope he doesn't spend too much time trying to learn other positions.

But on the positive, we have a few extra DL we could always move to LT if he needs to play C.*****

Maybe he struggled with the snap count. Playing center should definetely help learning the snap count

Tripp McNeely
03-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/02/patriots-offensive-line-solid-despite-turnover/

?I think our offensive line and Coach Gug (offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo) and Coach (offensive coordinator Josh) McDaniels have done a good job of again building our depth in preseason, where we had guys play multiple positions so that we can take seven linemen to a game and support all five positions, and be able to do different things offensively,? said Belichick. ?And the guys have worked very hard with each other and individually on their own fundamentals and techniques to be prepared and execute all the different plays and assignments, and block all the different types of players that we face.?

Gutter Cobreh
03-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Here it is in all its glory, for those that may have somehow missed it the first time....

https://twitter.com/mstatepicsvideo/status/787722168134168576

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:04 PM

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/02/patriots-offensive-line-solid-despite-turnover/

?I think our offensive line and Coach Gug (offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo) and Coach (offensive coordinator Josh) McDaniels have done a good job of again building our depth in preseason, where we had guys play multiple positions so that we can take seven linemen to a game and support all five positions, and be able to do different things offensively,? said Belichick. ?And the guys have worked very hard with each other and individually on their own fundamentals and techniques to be prepared and execute all the different plays and assignments, and block all the different types of players that we face.?

Yeah, but let's get real... random's football mind >>>>> bill belichick

WSOPdawg
03-03-2017, 12:05 PM

This may be the funniest thing I've read in a long time -- lolololololololol!!!

Rep given, LC.

WSOPdawg
03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Here it is in all its glory, for those that may have somehow missed it the first time....

https://twitter.com/mstatepicsvideo/status/787722168134168576

This makes me laugh every time (Rankin not moving out of his stance in the Auby game).

Not to contribute to the outstanding conversation we are having about our new freshman QB, but maybe this is why we're playing the NFL's #2 LT at center. Nice one, Gutter.

lamont
03-03-2017, 12:14 PM

NFL guys spend at least 8 hours a day on football- our guys get 20 hours per week. Many, many fewer reps in college football. Apples to Oranges

maroonmania
03-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Yep, this thread definitely took a left turn at Albuquerque.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 12:15 PM

You can't compare the NFL where you have 53 or whatever it is now roster spots and college where you have 72 or whatever it is active on gameday. The NFL does that because they have to because of their roster limits. Not to mention that they are pros and not from some random small high school learning how to play the position and they have more time to devote to working on things like that. If the NFL had 73 active they wouldn't do that because it would be unneccessary.

StatesboroBlues
03-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Nice...Using the Patriots OL to help make a point about MSUs OL and this subject is top notch.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Apparently harbaugh is messed up too... mason cole started all 13 games for harbaugh in '15 at LT. Harbaugh practiced mason Cole at center preseason and apparently liked him there bc he played mason at both positions some last year on the way to the orange bowl. Harbaugh is a clown though, right? BTW, mason Cole made all big 10 team

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mason_cole_888338.html

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Nice...Using the Patriots OL to help make a point about MSUs OL and this subject is top notch.

What about harbaugh at Michigan? Good enough? Read about mason cole

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't mind experimenting with the OL "IF" we were set and comfortable with who our starting line was going to be and they were to the point where there was only minimal room for them to get better.

I don't think we currently have that luxury. Rankin still has a lot of room to grow at LT. And to me the only way for him to get better at LT is to actually practice at LT. Same goes for every other OL we have. I don't think we have any that couldn't get better at their one primary position.

The reason you hear Hev always say he wants his guys to know more than one position is because we always only have about 6 and at the most 7 guys who are actually capable of holding their own. And I use the phrase holding their own very loosely. Go back and look at past seasons. How many have we had that we didn't have a guy start on one side of the line and end up on the other side later in the season? We've never been able to plug and play. Your LG does down with an injury? Instead of plugging in a 2nd string LG, we have to move the RT to RG; move the LT to RT and then move the RG to LG. And yes, that's an exaggeration, but not by too much. And when you do that you just lose continuity and then guys are playing positions that they aren't as comfortable in. Which equals less production.

Bottom line is we don't have the depth that we need to compete at the level we want. And that simply goes back to recruiting. No way around it.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I do think it's a luxury that our best olineman can play both of the most important oline positions (LT and center) if needed.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Let me know when we have the OL talent of Michigan and LOL the Patriots, and those comparisons might be worth reading.

And as for those complaining about the thread...c'mon man. It's day 1. So this could have been a 10 post thread about Thompson or a 7 page thread about Thompson plus the guys that will be responsible for keeping him safe, and are our biggest ? Year in and year out.

But the thread jokes have been funny haha

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't mind experimenting with the OL "IF" we were set and comfortable with who our starting line was going to be and they were to the point where there was only minimal room for them to get better.

I don't think we currently have that luxury. Rankin still has a lot of room to grow at LT. And to me the only way for him to get better at LT is to actually practice at LT. Same goes for every other OL we have. I don't think we have any that couldn't get better at their one primary position.

The reason you hear Hev always say he wants his guys to know more than one position is because we always only have about 6 and at the most 7 guys who are actually capable of holding their own. And I use the phrase holding their own very loosely. Go back and look at past seasons. How many have we had that we didn't have a guy start on one side of the line and end up on the other side later in the season? We've never been able to plug and play. Your LG does down with an injury? Instead of plugging in a 2nd string LG, we have to move the RT to RG; move the LT to RT and then move the RG to LG. And yes, that's an exaggeration, but not by too much. And when you do that you just lose continuity and then guys are playing positions that they aren't as comfortable in. Which equals less production.

Bottom line is we don't have the depth that we need to compete at the level we want. And that simply goes back to recruiting. No way around it.

Alabama does the same thing after injuries...

https://www.questia.com/read/1P2-38137644/alabama-offensive-line-must-shuffle-around-due-to

They just need to recruit better

lamont
03-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Alabama does the same thing after injuries...

https://www.questia.com/read/1P2-38137644/alabama-offensive-line-must-shuffle-around-due-to

They just need to recruit better

Everybody shuffles around during the season due to injuries. Not sure what you are arguing. This is Spring Practice

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Everybody shuffles around during the season due to injuries. Not sure what you are arguing. This is Spring Practice

It was 1 day and no one here is even sure how many of the snaps he took there and we're down 2 centers. Does anyone know who all took snaps at center or tackle?

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Do you think when bama shuffled those guys that if it was their first time at the new position or that they practiced there some?

StatesboroBlues
03-03-2017, 12:52 PM
What about harbaugh at Michigan? Good enough? Read about mason cole

Rankin is there for depth purposes only...he is going to be a Tackle for us. This is really not just about Rankin...it is about continually having to work players at multiple positions because of talent problems. Well...and having a roster full of guards for most of the last 8 years.

Michigan obviously knew Cole could handle it and had a plan at Left Tackle...do we for next season? I would say no...

"Eat a Peach"

msstate7
03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
He actually made the switch...he was not going back and forth practicing both positions when he was playing tackle. This is really not just about Rankin...it is about continually having to work players at multiple positions because of talent problems. Well...and having a roster full of guards for most of the last 8 years.

"Eat a Peach"
He played both and made the switch permanently on oct 29th vs Michigan state

HSVDawg
03-03-2017, 12:55 PM

The problem is we have lost our top 2 centers to injury, and we don't have an adequate 3rd center for the spring. The fact that Moon isn't getting reps there should basically tell you that either the coaches are processing him and he will no longer be on the roster after this semester, or he is exclusively a guard and can't really handle the snap and line call responsibilities. In either case, the problem will resolved after the spring at the latest when the walking wounded return and maybe even during the spring if we find some guys from the JUCO group that we can move into that spot for added depth. Until then, we have to explore some contingencies here and there. Another possibility is that our coaches want to get looks at some other players at the tackle spots because they know what Rankin can do, so this lets them kill two birds with one stone. And I still think its silly to jump to all these conclusions based on one day of practice. Its a given that Rankin won't be at Center long term unless we hit a major rash of injuries, and its really likely he will go back to Tackle at some point during the spring and also go there exclusively during the fall.

In the end, the complaints about general recruiting on the OL are valid, but its reaching by a good bit to use the fact that we don't have 3 centers that can play as a means of justifying that argument. Nobody has 3 centers that can play....not even the Alabamas of the world.

TimberBeast
03-03-2017, 12:56 PM

He's arguing as usual that mullen is the greatest coach ever, and that everyone that questions anything about our oline has a melting agenda, or is melting and has an agenda, or something along those lines.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:01 PM
I love when people try to defend our OL coaching/recruiting. It's like defending Hugh Freeze's integrity...How do you defend something that is nonexistent

msstate7
03-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know who all took snaps at center? Does anyone know if Rankin took snaps at LT? Just wondering if anyone has actual insight or just melting blindly

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know who all took snaps at center? Does anyone know if Rankin took snaps at LT? Just wondering if anyone has actual insight or just melting blindly

It doesn't matter. The fact that our 5th Year Senior LT that hasn't even mastered LT, is taking snaps at Center, is a microcosm of our entire issues with the OL. It's dumb as hell and shows a lack of depth, recruiting, and smarts at OL coach. But maybe that's just me

StatesboroBlues
03-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Yeah...didn't know that. Having said that...he is an exception to the rule and Michigan thought it made them better. Like I said above...Rankin getting practice time at C is not because we feel good about his backup. It is more about our depth at C...considering our roster at the position for the last two years and who we had returning there is no way Tankin should even be an option.

MSUDawg99
03-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Elgton Jenkins is hurt & out for the Spring. Another reason for the diff playing positions. Some of y'all just need to calm down a bit. It'll be ok.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 01:07 PM
It doesn't matter. The fact that our 5th Year Senior LT that hasn't even mastered LT, is taking snaps at Center, is a microcosm of our entire issues with the OL. It's dumb as hell and shows a lack of depth, recruiting, and smarts at OL coach. But maybe that's just me

It does matter. What if it was 5 snaps at center vs 50 at LT or whatever. If the context doesn't matter then you aren't objective. I realize I'm gonna side with Mullen until it proves to be dumb in games. Most (you included) are biased on the other side and just looking for a reason to pile on

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah...didn't know that. Having said that...he is an exception to the rule and Michigan thought it made them better. Like I said above...Rankin getting practice time at C is not because we feel good about his backup. It is more about our depth at C...considering our roster at the position for the last two years and who we had returning there is no way Tankin should even be an option.

You may have just accidentally created a new nickname there ^

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
It does matter. What if it was 5 snaps at center vs 50 at LT or whatever. If the context doesn't matter then you aren't objective. I realize I'm gonna side with Mullen until it proves to be dumb in games. Most (you included) are biased on the other side and just looking for a reason to pile on

We HAVE a reason to pile on. And no, it doesn't matter if it is 1 snap at center....why?? Why put your LT at Center? Put the damn 10th string center in there and get him snaps...don't confuse a guy that is already a work in progress at one of the most important positions on the field. That's my point.

After what we saw of Rankin a majority of last year, how can anyone say they are ok with him taking snaps at Center and then being our LT all year?

WSOPdawg
03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I love when people try to defend our OL coaching/recruiting. It's like defending Hugh Freeze's integrity...How do you defend something that is nonexistent

Oh, that's GOOOOO-O-O-O-O-O-D!!!

Rep given, Cadaver.

Bama_Dawg
03-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Especially when the OP started a topic on KT and not 5 posts in went to "B!tch about our OL again..."

Maybe someone should rename the thread, because if someone is looking for 7 pages on KT, they ain't gettin it here.

Tripp McNeely
03-03-2017, 01:14 PM
NFL guys spend at least 8 hours a day on football- our guys get 20 hours per week. Many, many fewer reps in college football. Apples to Oranges

I think that you guys are missing the point that in both cases, it is simply a "preseason"/sparsely-done practice exercise in both cases to prepare guys for worst case scenarios. Of course Rankin will get 85%-90% of his reps in between now and September at LT...c'mon guys. This has just turned into a really dumb thread.

...and for those knuckle-draggers that read that quote, can't interpret the inference, and make some comment about "comparing our OL to the Patriots" or "comparing our OL talent to the Patriots"...I'm gonna try to convince myself that you're not really that dumb and are just ****ing with me, otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight

Gutter Cobreh
03-03-2017, 01:14 PM

I'm going to go against you here Cadaver... from my view the whole premise is about over analyzing the words of Mullen based on DAY 1 of spring practice.

We have some that are using 1 practice to illustrate all the problems faced with OL. I suppose some think that because he spent some time there today, he will automatically lose whatever ability he had playing LT. This also affords some the ability to bitch about Hev., because they've had withdrawals since signing day and haven't been able to get their fix.

Whatever the reason for the meltdown, it is entertaining and I must admit that I've missed it!!!!

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Especially when the OP started a topic on KT and not 5 posts in went to "B!tch about our OL again..."

Maybe someone should rename the thread, because if someone is looking for 7 pages on KT, they ain't gettin it here.

There isn't 7 pages worth of stuff to discuss about a guy that has played 1 day for MSU. So anybody thinking this thread was all about KT shoulda known better, ha

basedog
03-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Funny, I don't see any commits about the what if Rankin gets injured. Pretty sure a backup needs some practice and what better way than do it now at practice. Rankin at center still has to learn to drive block and pass protect, putting him at a different position creates things he may not have seen and can help in the long run.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:20 PM
I think that you guys are missing the point that in both cases, it is simply a "preseason"/sparsely-done practice exercise in both cases to prepare guys for worst case scenarios. Of course Rankin will get 85%-90% of his reps in between now and September at LT...c'mon guys. This has just turned into a really dumb thread.

...and for those knuckle-draggers that read that quote, can't interpret the inference, and make some comment about "comparing our OL to the Patriots" or "comparing our OL talent to the Patriots"...breathe out of your nose every once in a while.

In my opinion, I am fully aware it was 1 spring practice....but when you had your LT literally standing still and getting our QB crushed multiple times a year ago, I don't want ONE SINGLE rep at LT wasted for that guy. Why in the hell are we working on worst case scenarios in day 1 anyway? That makes Hev look even dumber imo. Work on the actual shit we're going to do until we can quit looking like dog shit, is all I'm saying. None of it makes sense, and if we had a good OL I wouldn't say shit. Hev is under a microscope bc Hev puts himself there.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 01:23 PM
We HAVE a reason to pile on. And no, it doesn't matter if it is 1 snap at center....why?? Why put your LT at Center? Put the damn 10th string center in there and get him snaps...don't confuse a guy that is already a work in progress at one of the most important positions on the field. That's my point.

After what we saw of Rankin a majority of last year, how can anyone say they are ok with him taking snaps at Center and then being our LT all year?

So every snap of preseason Rankin has to take that snap at LT? Really hope he doesn't get hurt if that's our plan. Perhaps it went like this...

Let's get so and so a few snaps at LT and try Rankin at center while we do it rather than him stand on the sideline

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm going to go against you here Cadaver... from my view the whole premise is about over analyzing the words of Mullen based on DAY 1 of spring practice.

We have some that are using 1 practice to illustrate all the problems faced with OL. I suppose some think that because he spent some time there today, he will automatically lose whatever ability he had playing LT. This also affords some the ability to bitch about Hev., because they've had withdrawals since signing day and haven't been able to get their fix.

Whatever the reason for the meltdown, it is entertaining and I must admit that I've missed it!!!!

Fair enough. I guess I just see it this way...as soon as Hevesy quits making our OL the question mark every single year, these threads and hijacks will stop. It's the one position we can't recruit and can't build depth, so it's always a point of frustration for our fans. Throw in the fact that the highest rated OL recruit Hev's ever landed is a LT that is practicing at Center, and it kinda makes people want to hit him with a shovel

CadaverDawg
03-03-2017, 01:25 PM
So every snap of preseason Rankin has to take that snap at LT? Really hope he doesn't get hurt if that's our plan. Perhaps it went like this...

Let's get so and so a few snaps at LT and try Rankin at center while we do it rather than him stand on the sideline

Does Fitzgerald take snaps at WR?

Political Hack
03-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Maybe Hev should take snaps somewhere else.

msstate7
03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Does Fitzgerald take snaps at WR?

Yeah bc qb routinely line up at wr like oline routinely play other oline positions

HSVDawg
03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

If our starting LT just so happens to also be the 3rd best center, that's who needs to be in there when the first two go down. Simple as that. That's not just for the benefit of developing Rankin in the event of an emergency, its also so that the entire offense can function semi-correctly during the spring. If we put the "10th best center" out there and he can't even successfully snap the ****ing ball, you'd be better off just canceling spring practice altogether because you can't do anything on either side of the ball at that point. And again, NOBODY has 3 true centers that they can just plug and play. Its always robbing Peter to pay Paul whenever you lose two centers no matter what team it is.

Hot Rock
03-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Why in the hell are you idiots talking so much about the O-Line. Start a thread about that. I won't click on it. This was supposed to be something about Key. Damn.

K9 Avenger
03-03-2017, 02:32 PM
^^^^This^^^^... OL threads are never anything other than the same 15-20 posters in a circle jerk. I don't want to read it because I already read it the first 974 times....

JoseBrown
03-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe he struggled with the snap count. Playing center should definetely help learning the snap count

That's true. He could just snap it when he gets ready to go.. That should work out well.. Haha

JoseBrown
03-03-2017, 03:53 PM
^^^^This^^^^... OL threads are never anything other than the same 15-20 posters in a circle jerk. I don't want to read it because I already read it the first 974 times....

Are you telling us that you actually read 154 posts you didn't want to read, just to call 15-20 people out for being in a circle jerk? Or do you really like reading O-line threads?

You guys know going in that many football posts will turn into O-line discussions tho, right? The most important position group on the team, that we treat like it's almost important as the water boy/girl group here at State, for some reason.

Can anyone imagine if we'd of had Bama's offensive line in 2014-15? Or any year?

msstate7
03-03-2017, 03:58 PM

I'm so sick of those 15-20 posters haha

sandwolf
03-03-2017, 04:13 PM
This is pathetic and still to me a reason to kick Dan to the curb.This may be one of the dumber posts I have read on here. Congrats.

Bully13
03-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Sure would like some more information on our new QB instead of this bitch fest and imposter posts.

TrapGame
03-03-2017, 04:44 PM
This thread has completely gone here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/13VFkxBNCtHC8/giphy.gif

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

There isn't 7 pages worth of stuff to discuss about a guy that has played 1 day for MSU. So anybody thinking this thread was all about KT shoulda known better, ha

Changed it in OP, but can't change thread title.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 05:21 PM

DAN PER HIS PRESS CONFERENCE said Rankin first, Jenkins who he then said was injured and then Moon in that order as far as center goes. No one asked about left tackle so no on that position. But based on the fact that he talked about Rankin the most and didn't even mention Calhoun at center and the fact we know that Jenkins per Dan was limited I feel that it's pretty safe to assume that Rankin took most of the snaps at center.

Take from that what you will. But this is coming from Dan Mullen himself and you can watch it yourself.

Todd4State
03-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Maybe Hev should take snaps somewhere else.

Like the football office? I would be down with that.

WSOPdawg
03-03-2017, 05:51 PM
This thread has completely gone here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/13VFkxBNCtHC8/giphy.gif

Pretty much.