PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Rule

Reason2succeed
03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Jake Wimberly had a guy on his show that said that he hated the targeting rule. Jake then said that everyone agrees. I agree that the rule needs to be tweaked but I like that there is a rule and a punishment. I think it should only lead to ejection if after review it ksnbelieved that the player acted maliciously or carelessly.

Before someone talks about the wussification of America just remember that the players that got paralyzed in that game back in 1986 is still paralyzed. And that player that died still has a family that misses him. My uncle played for Ohio State and died from brain trauma. So I feel too bad about players who are ejected from games for head shots because that's A lot less than taking someone's life for their ability to use their limbs.

smootness
03-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes, there needs to be some form of targeting rule. Absolutely.

Pollodawg
03-02-2017, 08:34 PM
The targeting rule does not need to be done away with entirely. If it's targeting, said player needs to be ejected. But if it isn't deemed targeting, why is it even a penalty? No need for the fifteen if it isn't targeting.

maroonmania
03-02-2017, 08:51 PM
I'm absolutely FOR the targeting rule. If it needs to be tweeked a little so be it but first and foremost I am for trying to keep the game as reasonably safe for these guys as it can be. I love watching the game and going on Saturdays to cheer on the Dogs, but in the end its just a game. These guys are still amateurs and have their whole life ahead of them. I think defenders should be taught to avoid direct hits to the head at all costs. I mean hit whatever else you need to hit, but avoid the head. If the targeting rule stops one person from being paralyzed across the country then its worth it. For the pros, you still don't want to see serious injury but at least those guys are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game that has inherent risks so if there is anywhere that someone should be against the targeting rule its at that level.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-02-2017, 08:57 PM
BAMA say Targeting rule is for wusses....they do it more than anyone and it never gets called..../

Reason2succeed
03-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like since the targeting rule has been in affect there has been less 15 minute delays as some player gets carted off the field with everyone is praying that the guy isn't parazlyed?

DancingRabbit
03-02-2017, 11:38 PM
The targeting rule does not need to be done away with entirely. If it's targeting, said player needs to be ejected. But if it isn't deemed targeting, why is it even a penalty? No need for the fifteen if it isn't targeting.

Pretty sure replay can now reverse the targeting ejection and the 15 yard penalty, starting this past season.

Pollodawg
03-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Pretty sure replay can now reverse the targeting ejection and the 15 yard penalty, starting this past season.

I actually thought about that after I typed the post, but was too friggen lazy to go edit it.