PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ellis to retire from calling football and basketball

SaintDawg
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/34649443/jim-ellis-to-retire-from-calling-msu-football-basketball-will-continue-as-voice-of-baseball

Cary Hudson's little bro
03-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Thank goodness...I've grown tired of his football broadcasts. I know he is beloved in baseball but his annunciations of words makes me crazy! Of course this probably means Anthony Cravens for football which is not awesome.

louisvilledawg
03-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Will Bart take over?

shoeless joe
03-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Prolly for the best. You will find no bigger Jim Ellis fan than myself...but his style didn't fit as well in those two sports. But he is more miss state baseball than anyone, including ron Polk.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-02-2017, 12:54 PM
"Thanks to Ron Polk for his ringing endorsement of, "he'll do", in 1979 after hearing my broadcast of high school sports".

Said Learfield will conduct a nationwide search. I'm good with that because I haven't heard anyone on any of our broadcast that I'd prefer.

Bama_Dawg
03-02-2017, 12:56 PM
"will conduct a nationwide search"

This is code for "promote from within."

QuadrupleOption
03-02-2017, 01:08 PM
This is code for "promote from within."

Yeah definitely means that Cohen will get the job.***

RougeDawg
03-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Mullen to the booth.**

SaintDawg
03-02-2017, 01:22 PM
The MSU fan base is spoiled rotten when it comes to broadcasters who call our games. When you had Jack Cristil who many thought, including myself, was irreplaceable, Jim Ellis did a fine job in the grand scheme of things. Glad he'll still be calling baseball. Jack and Jim both had/have distinct voices. I hope the next gamecaller has this trait as well. They will no doubt have some big shoes to fill.

Cooterpoot
03-02-2017, 01:33 PM
I heard Kellum is looking for a football program***************

BrunswickDawg
03-02-2017, 01:43 PM
"Thanks to Ron Polk for his ringing endorsement of, "he'll do", in 1979 after hearing my broadcast of high school sports".

Said Learfield will conduct a nationwide search. I'm good with that because I haven't heard anyone on any of our broadcast that I'd prefer.

Our luck, they will hire Richard Cross

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Richard Cross and Matt Wyatt. Head to Head every Saturday.

Coldsleeve Jr.
03-02-2017, 02:02 PM
It'll be weird when Ellis leaves baseball one day. Something about his voice with baseball sticks with me even more than Jack's with football.

basedog
03-02-2017, 02:02 PM
We still eat our own! Never understand folks who bitch over loyalty to Msu. He was way more good than bad.

Jim Ellis call of Burke Masters HR was about as great as it gets, I'd vote it number 1 all time for Msu sports (yes even over any Jack call).

Bodaski
03-02-2017, 02:14 PM
I heard Kellum is looking for a football program***************

Will Kolhmier was vey interested at one time I heard. Sorry for the spelling.

BrunswickDawg
03-02-2017, 02:54 PM
We still eat our own! Never understand folks who bitch over loyalty to Msu. He was way more good than bad.

Jim Ellis call of Burke Masters HR was about as great as it gets, I'd vote it number 1 all time for Msu sports (yes even over any Jack call).

I like Jim. But, to a lot of people Jim will never be Jack, and Jack WAS football and basketball. When Jim retires from baseball, his replacement will never be Jim, because Jim IS MSU baseball.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Jason Crowder for basketball

Bucky Dog
03-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Aren't Brent Musberger and Vern Lundquist available?

Maroonthirteen
03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Jim is the best when it comes to college baseball. I have heard a number of school's broadcast.

I have also heard a number of school's football broadcast........State's broadcast is very poor. Not all that is Jim, some is the production and quality. State needs an improved broadcast for football for sure.

With that said, I don't know how much of a priority it is for State to have a top flight radio broadcast. We (and OM) allow Bama to out bid us for the most the powerful station in NE MS.

Maroonthirteen
03-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Thank goodness...I've grown tired of his football broadcasts. I know he is beloved in baseball but his annunciations of words makes me crazy! Of course this probably means Anthony Cravens for football which is not awesome.

You GOT TO LIKE THE WAY Jim annunciates his words.

BulldogBear
03-02-2017, 03:51 PM
What is the consensus on Wyatt's chances? And if he gets it, will their be conditions (that need to be) placed on him outside that responsibility?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
What is the consensus on Wyatt's chances? And if he gets it, will their be conditions (that need to be) placed on him outside that responsibility?

Uh...no, he'll stay as color analyst

Cary Hudson's little bro
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Wyatt will do color as long as he wants to. I'm sure Cohen has a guy in mind for play by play already.

ScoobaDawg
03-02-2017, 06:40 PM
It'll be weird when Ellis leaves baseball one day. Something about his voice with baseball sticks with me even more than Jack's with football.

I Agree with this. Jim wasn't great but not horrible with basketball and football since Jack. Hopefully we find someone that can be half as good as Jack.
But Jim is what so many of us know with Baseball and I'm glad he is staying on with that for as long as he can.

RocketDawg
03-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Actually, he'd do a good job.

sleepy dawg
03-02-2017, 07:07 PM

I was thinking the same, but wasn't going to post it. I agree that he that he was no Jack, but no one will ever be Jack again. I applaud Jim and wish him nothing but the best.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 07:07 PM
What about Ben Ingram? His Dad played baseball at MSU.

Liverpooldawg
03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
The MSU fan base is spoiled rotten when it comes to broadcasters who call our games. When you had Jack Cristil who many thought, including myself, was irreplaceable, Jim Ellis did a fine job in the grand scheme of things. Glad he'll still be calling baseball. Jack and Jim both had/have distinct voices. I hope the next gamecaller has this trait as well. They will no doubt have some big shoes to fill.

This for sure.

Liverpooldawg
03-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Actually, he'd do a good job.

No he wouldn't, he is a Confederate.

Liverpooldawg
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Will Kolhmier was vey interested at one time I heard. Sorry for the spelling.

I have had the unfortunate experience of listening to Will doing ICC sports a few times.......NO.

He is the new AD at Blue Mountain by the way.

Liverpooldawg
03-02-2017, 07:19 PM
As long as it's not whoever does play by play for women's basketball. It's hard to understand or even pick out the words that guy is saying. The color guy is fine, but the play by play guy is THE worst I have ever heard. He sounds like his mouth is full of food or something.

Spiderman
03-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Prolly for the best. You will find no bigger Jim Ellis fan than myself...but his style didn't fit as well in those two sports. But he is more miss state baseball than anyone, including ron Polk.

Basketball and football were too fast paced for Eliis. He's as good as there is at baseball, but was out of his element in the other two.

BHildreth3
03-03-2017, 11:23 AM
And while we are on this topic, do we still REALLY NEED ol' John on the sideline???

"John, what do you see down there?"

"Jim, I think he's close to a first down."

"Thanks John".

I mean seriously. Let's get a younger former player for this gig.

32 Dive
03-03-2017, 11:38 AM
And while we are on this topic, do we still REALLY NEED ol' John on the sideline???

"Thanks John".

We could always have a guy, dressed in the Captain Obvious costume, on the sideline doing the same.

He'd also be really easy for the guys in the booth, as well as us in the stands, to spot.

http://i.imgur.com/Z5S4C8B.png

Bama_Dawg
03-03-2017, 11:47 AM

"Thanks John".

I'd vote for a former soccer, softball, or volleyball player.

Need to diversify...if you know what I mean...