PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Baseball 2017

The Federalist Engineer
03-01-2017, 11:35 PM
They are 4-3 with rather undistinguished (but not easy) opponents, they split 2-2 in a 4 game series with Fresno State. The FSU Bulldogs have been CWS champs but are only 4-4 in 2017. The ducks also lost to San Diego, good team usually and beat UC Irvine who also plays quality ball.

That said, they lost to better clubs than Marist and Morehead State. But I judge that we beat ourselves in both games. Today, we know who can't be trusted from the pen, have a better idea of who the top-3 starters, will be selecting a better DH than game-1, and a 5th hole hitter that is not batting .000

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 12:00 AM
I think they are about what they were last year. Probably a top 100 RPI team and may even venture slightly below that at times. If they were in the SEC they would probably be near the bottom of the league. But it's a good test for us. We will be on the road for the first time this year and I think it's a chance for our team to bond- like they did going to Los Angeles last year. It's also pretty similar to an actual SEC weekend. When you play four games, it taxes your pitching staff and simulates more of a regional type of setting. I think we're going to see what our SEC rotation looks like- or at least what the coaches are thinking at this point. We already know they are going to throw Pilkington and Plumlee but Sunday is still a guess. It could be Cyr, Ashcraft, or Self. We'll also use the bullpen differently as well. We don't have to worry about holding someone like Self back as much because of the fourth game and we may see Ashcraft close. May or may not see Rigby- my guess is if we do we won't let him go past one inning.

I think our offense will be fine even though I think they still have a pretty good pitching staff. Their field is sort of like Vanderbilt's though unless they have changed and I didn't realize it. We need to be prepared defensively for that because the ball could come at us pretty fast when they are hit on the ground. That will help us stealing bases though and I suspect Oregon will try to play a lot of small ball like they did last year.

bulldogcountry1
03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm curious to see how AZ plays it. I would have liked to have Macnamee an Vansau with a few more ABs at this point, with Gordon and a few others struggling.

As for the starting pitching, I would have hopes to be able to start Self on Sunday, but would be willing to burn him on Friday or Saturday to protect a late lead.

lamont
03-02-2017, 08:27 AM
weather will be a factor. High 40's everyday

BB30
03-02-2017, 09:59 AM
They are 4-3 with rather undistinguished (but not easy) opponents, they split 2-2 in a 4 game series with Fresno State. The FSU Bulldogs have been CWS champs but are only 4-4 in 2017. The ducks also lost to San Diego, good team usually and beat UC Irvine who also plays quality ball.

That said, they lost to better clubs than Marist and Morehead State. But I judge that we beat ourselves in both games. Today, we know who can't be trusted from the pen, have a better idea of who the top-3 starters, will be selecting a better DH than game-1, and a 5th hole hitter that is not batting .000

Slightly OT but it really is pretty impressive how good the Big West conference is in baseball. I played with several guys in the minors from UC Irvine and UC Davis. Throw in CSF and LB State and they have a pretty salty league.

I think this series will be a good barometer to see where we are as a team as far as 3 game sets go. We will also get to see some pretty quality arms all 3 days which will be good for us.

WSOPdawg
03-02-2017, 10:51 AM

But do they have cheerleaders?

louisvilledawg
03-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Not to highjack a thread or post about TSUN, but is that tournament in houston going to be on TV anywhere? That's gonna be some good baseball to watch when we're not playing.

maroonmania
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I'm curious to see how AZ plays it. I would have liked to have Macnamee an Vansau with a few more ABs at this point, with Gordon and a few others struggling.

As for the starting pitching, I would have hopes to be able to start Self on Sunday, but would be willing to burn him on Friday or Saturday to protect a late lead.

I've been meaning to ask, how did our roster get so out of whack between IFs and OFs. We seem to have all types of options in the OF and even signed Macnamee and Vansau out of JUCO to give us additional players there. However, on the IF (outside of 1B), after you get past Gridley, Alexander and Stovall we basically have NOTHING since Bragg got hurt. Only other true IF on the entire roster is Reed Smith but apparently he is not ready to play. Having to stick guys like Marrero or Brown at 2B is ridiculous. We should have signed another JUCO MIF in our last class.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
I've been meaning to ask, how did our roster get so out of whack between IFs and OFs. We seem to have all types of options in the OF and even signed Macnamee and Vansau out of JUCO to give us additional players there. However, on the IF (outside of 1B), after you get past Gridley, Alexander and Stovall we basically have NOTHING since Bragg got hurt. Only other true IF on the entire roster is Reed Smith but apparently he is not ready to play. Having to stick guys like Marrero or Brown at 2B is ridiculous. We should have signed another JUCO MIF in our last class.

You kind of answered your own question. Bad roster management during recruiting. We had Austin Riley and then he went pro, Jacob Barfield didn't pan out and now Bragg isn't ready. Third base has been an issue for us since Jarrod Parks graduated.

maroonmania
03-02-2017, 01:05 PM
You kind of answered your own question. Bad roster management during recruiting. We had Austin Riley and then he went pro, Jacob Barfield didn't pan out and now Bragg isn't ready. Third base has been an issue for us since Jarrod Parks graduated.

Understand, but I was thinking we already knew about the situation with Riley and Barfield even before we signed Macnamee and Vansau which I thought was well into the Summer. Just seems one of those 2 spots should have gone to a JUCO MIF. Even if Bragg was doing well we would still be short handed if Smith is not ready (only 3 players available for 2 spots - 2nd and SS).

bulldogcountry1
03-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Maybe the staff didn't think Lowe would be one and done. I don't know. I can't imagine how difficult it is to balance that stuff out. If Lowe had stayed and someone (other than LA) had won the 3B job, then our depth looks a whole lot different. You just can't lose as many guys as we did to the draft and injuries and still end up with a balanced roster.

The Federalist Engineer
03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I think Reed Smith must be hurt or played a bad joke on Coach Cannizzaro...he hit way better than Bragg and others in the fall. No way it was safer to play Marrero and Brown at 2b than a very polished freshman. If we are willing to invest in Marrero's upside potential... then it leaves me to wonder about Smith.

By the way, Burdick would be junior, Reynolds a Senior, and Barfield at RS Junior had they not transferred or gone pro. There goes the quality depth and a possible star in Burdick.

Todd4State
03-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Maybe the staff didn't think Lowe would be one and done. I don't know. I can't imagine how difficult it is to balance that stuff out. If Lowe had stayed and someone (other than LA) had won the 3B job, then our depth looks a whole lot different. You just can't lose as many guys as we did to the draft and injuries and still end up with a balanced roster.

I think Reed was suspended some during the scrimmages if I remember correctly.

Homedawg
03-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Hard to sign a Jc mid inf when you have a 2 year starter at ss that's Jr. and 2 soph playing the other spots. Not saying it's impossible but to get a juco that's good enough and dodges the draft are hard enough.

ScoobaDawg
03-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Not to highjack a thread or post about TSUN, but is that tournament in houston going to be on TV anywhere? That's gonna be some good baseball to watch when we're not playing.

Google is your friend
http://astros.mlb.com/hou/ticketing/college_classic.jsp

dawgs
03-02-2017, 06:51 PM
weather will be a factor. High 40's everyday

I was gonna drive down for the weekend, but 45-50 highs and 80-100% chance of rain every day sounds like miserable baseball weather, assuming they even get the games in. This is the worst winter weather I've seen out here in the 9 winters I've lived here.