PDA

View Full Version : Quick 2018 Recruiting Update

Ifyouonlyknew
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
QB - I really think right now it's 1 of 2 guys who will end up in this class. Either Jalen Mayden or Gerry Bohanon. I'd be very happy with either.

RB - We've offered several but I think there are 3 sticking out now. Jarveon Howard, AJ Carter, & La'damian Webb. I think the instate kid Howard ends up our RB for this class.

WR - We already have 1 top notch WR committed in Malik Heath. We will likely take 2 more. Some top names are Devante "Whop" Jason, Jammal Houston, Jaray Jenkins, Shedrick Jackson, CJ Bolar. It's early so many more names will pop up but Whop has to be the #1 guy remaining on the board. If we can land Malik & Whop then the 3rd guy can be a lesser known if we don't hit on a 3rd elite prospect.

TE - I'm not convinced we take a TE in this class yet. I don't see it as a need but we'll see as the cycle moves on.

OL - 1 OL committed in Kwatravious "Dolla Bill" Johnson. Things continue to look good with Nik Hogan. We will likely sign 4 OL so we're looking at 2 more after that. Again so many more names will pop up between now & through summer camp but some early names are Casey Holman, Kameron Stutts, Jerome Carvin, Jake Hardage, Cole Smith, Hayden Burton, Jalen Goss.

DL - Going to the 3-4 you now have to separate those guys who used to be 4-3 DE who are now 3-4 OLB. We will sign 3-4 DL. The instate class of defensive players are very legit. At NG instate you have Jeffery Johnson. Also at NG we're recruiting Jalen Cunningham & Mackie McNeal. We will sign 1 NG. We will probably sign 2 maybe 3 3-4 DE. The top 2 targets look to be instate kids James Williams & Fabian Lovett. You sign these 2 you've done great up front. Other names to watch are Nick Fulwider, Parker Devine, Emmitt Gooden.

LB - We look like we will sign 3-4 LB. Starting with the OLB again there are a couple of instate guys that would look great coming off the edge in a 3-4. Jalen Crumedy & Deauntra Hymon. You get those 2 again you have to feel good about things. Other OLB are Tahj Brown, James Head, Randy Charlton, Jay Person, David Reese. ILB there are 2 top targets. Jett Johnson & Jacquez Jones.

CB - We have 2 CB committed in Esaias Furdge & Jemaurian Jones. Furdge could end up at FS just depending on how big he gets. We are likely only taking 1 more CB. Some names are Corione Harris, Marquis Williams, Kendall Williamson, Chandler Jones, & Jaylen Reed.

S - We will likely only take 1 maybe 2 Safeties. We can be very selective with this position. A few names are Cam'ron Jones, Jamarceon Jackson, Tyrese Ross, Arthur Brathwaite, Jermaine McMillan, Ron Hardge.

ATH - We have 1 ath committed in Nero Nelson. The top ath on the board is Marcus Murphy. Other ath we're looking at are BJ Hanspard, Deandre Hambles.

K - We've offered 1 kicker who some consider the top kicker in the country Evan McPherson. This looks to be a MSU & Miami battle. If McPherson heads to South Beach I'm interested if we offer another kicker or is this a case of him just being too good to pass up.

I'm sure I've missed a ton of guys & there are new guys being offered everyday. Just a quick brief look at how things are 11 months from signing day.

smootness
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
This looks like a bit of a down year for in-state talent, but we look like we're setting up pretty well to just about sweep most of the top guys.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-01-2017, 11:34 AM
This looks like a bit of a down year for in-state talent, but we look like we're setting up pretty well to just about sweep most of the top guys.

On the offensive side maybe on defense there are 12-15 kids with SEC potential.

preachermatt83
03-01-2017, 11:45 AM
2019 will be one of the best classes ms has ever had...and it will be at the height of the OM sanctions so we could wrap up a program altering class in 19.

bulldog2488
03-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the update IYOK! Always enjoy hearing your insight. Hope we can land some of these kids.

hailmari
03-01-2017, 12:04 PM
LaDamien Webb would be absolute steal out of Alabama. He looks like a faster JRob.

And I love the name. It just sounds famous.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-01-2017, 12:10 PM
LaDamien Webb would be absolute steal out of Alabama. He looks like a faster JRob.

And I love the name. It just sounds famous.

Yea I like Webb a lot too. I just think Jarveon won't let that offer sit on the table too long. I expect Webb to camp for offers at Bama & Auburn before he makes a move.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-01-2017, 12:26 PM
IYOK, were those names listed in any particular order? As in your preference or how you viewed their potential? Thanks for the update. Always enjoyable to read.

I've actually started keeping up with recruiting a little more and am gathering a list of names of players who we recruited heavily, but lost out on. Am interested in seeing how their careers played out and how they would have impacted our roster if we had signed them.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-01-2017, 12:36 PM
IYOK, were those names listed in any particular order? As in your preference or how you viewed their potential? Thanks for the update. Always enjoyable to read.

I've actually started keeping up with recruiting a little more and am gathering a list of names of players who we recruited heavily, but lost out on. Am interested in seeing how their careers played out and how they would have impacted our roster if we had signed them.

No order just as they popped into my head.

bulldog2488
03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
IYOK, had a couple of questions about OL. First, how do you feel about our first OL commit, Johnson? Is he a really good pickup? I know ratings don't always matter and it is still really early, but I did notice he was only rated a 2 star by 247. I just want to see us going after more highly regarded OLs and I wasn't sure on him. The other question I had was about Nick Hogan. Is he going to be an OL? I just noticed that it said he was a DL on the various recruiting sites. Thanks in advance. I was just curious about those two.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
IYOK, had a couple of questions about OL. First, how do you feel about our first OL commit, Johnson? Is he a really good pickup? I know ratings don't always matter and it is still really early, but I did notice he was only rated a 2 star by 247. I just want to see us going after more highly regarded OLs and I wasn't sure on him. The other question I had was about Nick Hogan. Is he going to be an OL? I just noticed that it said he was a DL on the various recruiting sites. Thanks in advance. I was just curious about those two.

I think Johnson can be good but he is raw. He's not rated yet by 247. Scout has given him a default 2* rating but haven't evaluated him yet. I expect Nik to be an OL.

bulldog2488
03-01-2017, 02:40 PM
I think Johnson can be good but he is raw. He's not rated yet by 247. Scout has given him a default 2* rating but haven't evaluated him yet. I expect Nik to be an OL.

Very cool. Thanks for the info!

FISHDAWG
03-01-2017, 03:34 PM
K - We've offered 1 kicker who some consider the top kicker in the country Evan McPherson. This looks to be a MSU & Miami battle. If McPherson heads to South Beach I'm interested if we offer another kicker or is this a case of him just being too good to pass up.

maybe we could get his girlfriend an academic schollie ... I'm at the point of "do what it takes to get a dependable kicker"

Also - thanks for the write up. Always enjoy your insight