PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps I jumped the gun on baseball

msstate7
02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
I've gotta admit basketball has put me in a sour mood when it comes to state sports the last couple months. Tonight is showing that baseball is still baseball... the sec is taking its lumps

Memphis beat OM
Lsu losing to Nichols st late
aTm barely beating prairie view late
Samford beat auburn
Kennesaw st beat Georgia
La Tech beating Arkansas late
Bama and Jacksonville state tied late

Hopefully we just got our crap losses early and we're done with those. Hopefully rigby and Stovall are healthy soon and we can find some answers on the mound. Big weekend... let's get 2

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Everyone is going through what we are to different extents. Everyone has to figure their lineups out and most people have "inexplicable" losses at some point during the season. I'm actually pretty encouraged by what I've seen from us believe it or not.

bulldogcountry1
02-28-2017, 09:54 PM
I wasn't too pessimistic about the injuries going into the season, but things are getting pretty desperate now. We have the hitting and starting pitching to win some SEC games, but we will probably lose several more midweek games due to what the injuries have done to our pitching depth.

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
I wasn't too pessimistic about the injuries going into the season, but things are getting pretty desperate now. We have the hitting and starting pitching to win some SEC games, but we will probably lose several more midweek games due to what the injuries have done to our pitching depth.

We play FIU a couple of times and odds are we lose at least one because of that. Normally when we play once a week I think we will be OK for the most part.

BrunswickDawg
02-28-2017, 10:11 PM
I've gotta admit basketball has put me in a sour mood when it comes to state sports the last couple months. Tonight is showing that baseball is still baseball... the sec is taking its lumps

Memphis beat OM
Samford beat auburn
Kennesaw st beat Georgia

Hopefully we just got our crap losses early and we're done with those. Hopefully rigby and Stovall are healthy soon and we can find some answers on the mound. Big weekend... let's get 2
Kennesaw St beating UGA is no fluke. They have a very strong program - arguably better than UGAs.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Skelton needs to be full time Catcher... Pitching staff is still reeling from Mini-me, but we will be OK in 3 game series barring further injuries...we are strong up the middle...But overall team defense is suspect.

DeviousDawg
02-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Memphis beat OM
Samford beat auburn
Kennesaw st beat Georgia

Memphis is a good team this year, they have beaten Tennessee and swept Illinois State.
Auburn's 7-1 record going into the Samford game was a mirage, they have played no one. They are not good, not a tournament team.
Prarie View is garbage, A&M took 2 of 3 from Pepperdine, their only real competition this year. They will not be the caliber team we are used to.
Nichols is not a bad a team this year, they have already beaten Wake Forest and ULL this year.
La Tech will be a top 50 RPI squad
Jacksonville State would be one of our top nonconference opponents, took 2 of 3 from FIU who we play twice.
Georgia is 3-5 with some really bad losses, safe to say they suck.

Dunno if that made you continue to feel better about baseball. We should not have lost to Marist or Morehead, those will sting. Both teams will end up in the 150 range in RPI if I had to guess.

HoopsDawg
02-28-2017, 10:20 PM
Read a stat not too long ago that a D1 team will only beat a D3 team 70% of the time. Baseball is funny like that.

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Read a stat not too long ago that a D1 team will only beat a D3 team 70% of the time. Baseball is funny like that.

Based on what? For reference I think we have beaten Delta State around 70-75% of the time so I don't know that I agree with them.

preachermatt83
02-28-2017, 10:27 PM
I'm just tickled to death at how well we are hitting and scoring runs.

HoopsDawg
02-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Based on what? For reference I think we have beaten Delta State around 70-75% of the time so I don't know that I agree with them.

Huh? You just further proved the stat is accurate.

DeviousDawg
02-28-2017, 10:32 PM

LOL, Todd confused.

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Delta State is annually one of the best D-2 teams in the country. I doubt there are any D3 teams that level. I would say it's closer 90% for a D1 vs. D3 team.

DeviousDawg
02-28-2017, 10:35 PM
I'm just tickled to death at how well we are hitting and scoring runs.

If only we had a bullpen. That Tommy John guy, whoever he is, single-handedly, or armedly, wrecked our season. Long way to go, and I do like our lineup, but we are going to really struggle in SEC play unless we pull some relievers out of our ass.

Cooterpoot
02-28-2017, 10:36 PM
What happens in midweek isn't that big right now. Problem is, we suck on the weekend. Many of those teams will not.

msstate7
02-28-2017, 10:38 PM
What happens in midweek isn't that big right now. Problem is, we suck on the weekend. Many of those teams will not.

We've lost to a really good team on an opening day of the weekend. The other 2 losses were on a 4th game of the weekend and midweek... both of those are midweek imo

MaroonFlounder
02-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Ashcraft to the bullpen is something that should have been a no-brainer. And it was stupid to not bring Self in Sunday until the run deficit was 6.

Choctaw Dawg
02-28-2017, 10:41 PM
I'm not worried, lets work out the kinks early. Although it is bad that our bullpen era is 11.9, we will rebound hopefully.

Homedawg
02-28-2017, 10:42 PM
Skelton needs to be full time Catcher... Pitching staff is still reeling from Mini-me, but we will be OK in 3 game series barring further injuries...we are strong up the middle...But overall team defense is suspect.

Hold on let me get this straight, you want Skelton playing and say our defense is suspect? Skelton is going to be good but he's not as good as lovelady defensively. Offensively he's better yes. But our infield, besides first base is as good as we've ever had and our outfield w mangum, Poole and blaylock is as really stout- defensively. So I'm not sure what you are talking about. Defense w that team won't be the problem I assure you.
Eta- when Stovall is healthy of course.

msstate7
02-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Hold on let me get this straight, you want Skelton playing and say our defense is suspect? Skelton is going to be good but he's not as good as lovelady defensively. Offensively he's better yes. But our infield, besides first base is as good as we've ever had and our outfield w mangum, Poole and blaylock is as really stout- defensively. So I'm not sure what you are talking about. Defense w that team won't be the problem I assure you.

Is marrero gonna get another shot? I actually think he's our best overall catcher if he can get himself together

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Is marrero gonna get another shot? I actually think he's our best overall catcher if he can get himself together

He has already been given several. I guess Cann really likes him based on the fact he is still on the team and we had him hitting fifth on opening day.

Homedawg
02-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Well considering I said on here that he wasn't going to be on the team, and I was wrong, guess I don't know. Bc I thought he was done. But odds aren't on his side for sure.

lamont
02-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Marrero is JRob in 2013. You know he needs to play- but he cant get out of his own way off the field to do so.

DeviousDawg
03-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Let's just say Marrero is facing an 0-2 count.

Saltydog
03-01-2017, 09:21 AM
I hate to be a negative Nelly but I'm also realistic. With the injuries we have to the pitching staff, this year isn't going to be good. I don't see us making the NCAA tourney. Assuming some of our pitchers recover from injury, we could be very good next year and certainly the year after that.

louisvilledawg
03-01-2017, 09:30 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/iSxPmDWr97248/giphy.gif