PDA

View Full Version : Mullen quote on extension

starkvegasdawg
02-27-2017, 09:49 PM
This extension allows my family a long-term future here in Starkville, a place we are proud to call home.

msstate7
02-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Random in 3,2,1 to tell us how sexton almost has Mullen a job at _________

Political Hack
02-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Random in 3,2,1 to tell us how sexton almost has Mullen a job at _________

This is the first offseason he's been truly committed to the point where NO ONE questioned it. Of course it came after a 6-7 season when he's not a hot commodity, but it's an improvement nonetheless. I also wonder if #TheNetwork being disassembled before our eyes has given him the reassurance he needs that he'll soon be coaching on a level playing field. I think everyone, absent OM fans and Finebaum, realizes that he's been a huge disadvantage thus far and still managed to outclass them more times than not.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2017, 10:51 PM
This is the first offseason he's been truly committed to the point where NO ONE questioned it. Of course it came after a 6-7 season when he's not a hot commodity, but it's an improvement nonetheless. I also wonder if #TheNetwork being disassembled before our eyes has given him the reassurance he needs that he'll soon be coaching on a level playing field. I think everyone, absent OM fans and Finebaum, realizes that he's been a huge disadvantage thus far and still managed to outclass them more times than not.

You're right again! I honestly believe Mullen was tired of their shenanigans and now that they've been busted he's re energized. Mullen One win better than freeze since freeze been there while playing with a shorter stick. Had to have been extremely frustrating.

EngDawg
02-27-2017, 11:04 PM
Go git em yankee!

Harrydawg
02-27-2017, 11:10 PM
I have been told that there was no love lost between loafers and Mullen (or specifically Megan)......several things have lined up that I think has made Mullen resonsider his future (he is happy here).

blacklistedbully
02-28-2017, 01:01 AM
I have been told that there was no love lost between loafers and Mullen (or specifically Megan)......several things have lined up that I think has made Mullen resonsider his future (he is happy here).

Maybe Dan prefers working for an AD who is a fellow ex-jock as well as a respected former coach.

msbulldog
02-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Just glad we got this out of the way for recruiting purposes.

lamont
02-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Mullen absolutely respects his new boss alot more

We have a chance to get 7 wins this season- 8 if the stars align. Then 2018 is our chance to make a run again. Should be an interesting 2 seasons

Offshore Dawg
02-28-2017, 08:10 AM
That's our Damn Yankee !!!

Dawgface
02-28-2017, 08:13 AM
You're right again! I honestly believe Mullen was tired of their shenanigans and now that they've been busted he's re energized. Mullen One win better than freeze since freeze been there while playing with a shorter stick. Had to have been extremely frustrating.

That's my take as well. People like Finebaum are in denial when it comes to Freeze and what Mullen was up against. I'm sure he was frustrated. Doesn't excuse some of his head scratching decisions on the field but I'm glad he got the extension. Hopefully its all positive from here.

BrunswickDawg
02-28-2017, 08:27 AM

I think that Loafers was a little too much in the LT school of keeping the numbers in the black - and could not balance how the new SEC $ was being spent. We seemed to put it all into upgrading facilities and non-rev sports instead of investing in the cash cow. It shows some short-sightedness. I love the facilities, but could we have held off a year or two on a new softball field in order to hire a real DC 2 years ago? I think that would have been a better investment.

Political Hack
02-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Mullen absolutely respects his new boss alot more

We have a chance to get 7 wins this season- 8 if the stars align. Then 2018 is our chance to make a run again. Should be an interesting 2 seasons

That's a huge part of it too. He and Strick weren't going to last much longer in all liklihood and I don't think anyone saw Strick leaving before CDM. What's funny is we got CDM from Florida and Florida got Strick from us. I think we won't that trade.

Reason2succeed
02-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Not saying that Mullen never mulled over leaving but he enjoys being an authority figure in coaching circles. He knows that is best served by stability. Also, as a student of coaching history I believe he is sensitive to the damage constantly relocating can do to a marriage and family.

bulldogcountry1
02-28-2017, 08:48 AM

I really believe UM cheating so blatantly for so so long took it's toll on him. I'm sure he kept being told that UM would eventually pay they price, but he kept losing recruits and had to make the extra effort to keep his nose clean. When things started to unravel last summer, we slowly started seeing "fat Dan Mullen" again. Plus, his job just got easier for many years.