PDA

View Full Version : I like some of the position moves I'm hearing with Grantham's defense

Todd4State
02-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Possibly Gerri Green to DE and Montez Sweat to OLB. Both are good moves IMO.

GTHOM
02-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Its time for Gerri Green to show up. So far hes looked the part but not much else. Not saying he cant but its time. Sweat is a guy that has to be ready to go for us to give us the depth we need, if he and some others do, I expect Granthams first defense to be a damn good one

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Gerri may play some DE when/if we're in a 4 man front. He's still at LB in the 3-4. Sweat was recruited as a 3-4 OLB. I don't know what Grantham will call it but the same as the Viper.

Big4Dawg
02-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Where will Chauncey Rivers play? Seems small to play DE.

NCDawg
02-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Its time for Gerri Green to show up. So far hes looked the part but not much else. Not saying he cant but its time. Sweat is a guy that has to be ready to go for us to give us the depth we need, if he and some others do, I expect Granthams first defense to be a damn good one

I agree about Green. The times I have focused on his play, I haven't been impressed. He has all the physical tools, but he needs to get a lot tougher.

Political Hack
02-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Gerri may play some DE when/if we're in a 4 man front. He's still at LB in the 3-4. Sweat was recruited as a 3-4 OLB. I don't know what Grantham will call it but the same as the Viper.

If he's outside there's really not much difference between our 3-4 and our 4-3. We can play it either way, just comes down to gap control and assignments.

We need DBs. I wonder where Sweat will end up.

msstate7
02-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Who will play beside Leo in the middle?

GTHOM
02-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Who will play beside Leo in the middle?

Thompson, Washington and Dez Harris will all get a look. Willie Gay possibly. He's gonna be a stud wherever he plays

ShotgunDawg
02-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Where will Chauncey Rivers play? Seems small to play DE.

I'm interested to see but he's just as big as AJ Jefferson.

msstate7
02-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Not giving up on him yet. He's had 2 different DCs with completely different schemes. I'm hopeful grantham can finally get green to flip the switch

Jarius
02-27-2017, 09:46 PM

He had a decent Freshman season and not a very good one this past year. A lot of our players looked like Jane. It was a common theme with Peter Sirmon. I think that they were all thinking too much.

Ari Gold
02-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Our front 7 will match anyone in the country via the eye test..
and will have the potential to be very very good on the field.

bulldawg28
02-27-2017, 10:40 PM

All day long

I seen it dawg
02-27-2017, 11:26 PM
If he's outside there's really not much difference between our 3-4 and our 4-3. We can play it either way, just comes down to gap control and assignments.

We need DBs. I wonder where Sweat will end up.

Sweat is gonna end up in the QBs ass. Alot

Leroy Jenkins
02-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Sweat is gonna end up in the QBs ass. Alot

... and not in a Myles Hartsfield type of way.

Bothrops
02-28-2017, 12:27 AM
Gerri Green improved the moment our bowl game ended. Our players never got pushed under Peter South. Remember Auburn and Arkansas games? The bro crush is the reason our defense sucked. Now we have a proven guy and it will pay off.

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 03:40 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't Green essentially play a lot of ILB for us last year? We had whoever the Viper was- usually Calvin and then the other guy was either usually Gray or Jung at the Star position or whatever we called it. If my assumption is correct, I think that may have been part of the problem- having Green on the inside. If he is at either DE or OLB I think he could be more productive and maybe more importantly not out of position.

I guess we may look something like this:

DE- Rivers
NT- Simmons
DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Dez Harris
OLB- Jung unless Marquiss Spencer is better in coverage than I realize. I wouldn't mind having him start at DE.

CB- Peters
CB- Durr

S- Abrams
S- McLaurin

How about thoughts on maybe moving JT Gray to safety? He would have to be the SS of course. He may be too slow to pull it off.

Todd4State
02-28-2017, 03:42 AM
Gerri Green improved the moment our bowl game ended. Our players never got pushed under Peter South. Remember Auburn and Arkansas games? The bro crush is the reason our defense sucked. Now we have a proven guy and it will pay off.

I think there is a lot of merit to that because Brandon Bryant made some incredible plays in 2015 and then in 2016 he seemed to loaf at least half the season. I don't know if the defense was too complicated or not but it was very apparent to me that it wasn't taught very well. I think we also had a couple of guys out of position like Green and honestly I think Richie Brown should have started at OLB.

lamont
02-28-2017, 07:14 AM
I'd look for Brandon Bryant to start and its unlikely Rivers starts

bulldawg28
02-28-2017, 08:25 AM
No to Durr and Bryant starting.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't Green essentially play a lot of ILB for us last year? We had whoever the Viper was- usually Calvin and then the other guy was either usually Gray or Jung at the Star position or whatever we called it. If my assumption is correct, I think that may have been part of the problem- having Green on the inside. If he is at either DE or OLB I think he could be more productive and maybe more importantly not out of position.

DE- Rivers
NT- Simmons
DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Dez Harris
OLB- Jung unless Marquiss Spencer is better in coverage than I realize. I wouldn't mind having him start at DE.

CB- Peters
CB- Durr

S- Abrams
S- McLaurin

How about thoughts on maybe moving JT Gray to safety? He would have to be the SS of course. He may be too slow to pull it off.

No way Gerri starts at 3-4 DE he's not big enough.

HoopsDawg
02-28-2017, 10:34 AM
No way Gerri starts at 3-4 DE he's not big enough.

Do you think Simmons stays at NT?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 10:37 AM

I do but I think he plays more DE on 3rd downs if Autry lives up to his billing. I think we have some really versatile guys up front depending on down & distance. Simmons, Thomas, Autry, Pope all can slide up & down the line in a 3-4 depending on the situation.

HoopsDawg
02-28-2017, 10:42 AM
I do but I think he plays more DE on 3rd downs if Autry lives up to his billing. I think we have some really versatile guys up front depending on down & distance. Simmons, Thomas, Autry, Pope all can slide up & down the line in a 3-4 depending on the situation.

True. I look for our 2 deep to be:

DE: Thomas-Pope
NT: Simmons-Autry
DE: Spencer-Rivers
Viper: Sweat-Green

Then you still have Fletcher Adams and Kobe Jones. Lot of versatility.

Tbonewannabe
02-28-2017, 11:05 AM

I like that lineup. We are getting back to being able to rotate a lot of Dlinemen and keeping them fresh. That is a lot of talent that can compete in the SEC West. That is a group I would put up against Ark, A&M, UM, or most of the East.

maroonmania
02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
He had a decent Freshman season and not a very good one this past year. A lot of our players looked like Jane. It was a common theme with Peter Sirmon. I think that they were all thinking too much.

I don't think we really had a defensive player that did have a good year this past season outside of maybe Leo Lewis. Thanks Sirmon.

Tbonewannabe
02-28-2017, 11:11 AM
I don't think we really had a defensive player that did have a good year this past season outside of maybe Leo Lewis. Thanks Sirmon.

Hoping that a lot of people were screwed up by Sirmon. Green and Bryant looked a lot better as freshmen than last year.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 11:21 AM

I like that look too. Lots of capable bodies upfront if they play up to their potential. My big question is what is the other OLB position going to look like. Does Grantham want to go with size all the way across the LB board? If he does you could see Sweat at 1 OLB & Green at the other. Is he looking for more quickness & versatility there? You have Sweat, Green, Thompson, Harris, Jung, Lewis, Gay, Washington, Gray(?), Spencer(?) at LB. I'm interested in how he's going to play them.

msstate7
02-28-2017, 11:22 AM

Simmons had a pretty nice freshman campaign considering where he lined up. NG is a tough position for a kid straight out of HS

HoopsDawg
02-28-2017, 11:38 AM
I like that look too. Lots of capable bodies upfront if they play up to their potential. My big question is what is the other OLB position going to look like. Does Grantham want to go with size all the way across the LB board? If he does you could see Sweat at 1 OLB & Green at the other. Is he looking for more quickness & versatility there? You have Sweat, Green, Thompson, Harris, Jung, Lewis, Gay, Washington, Gray(?), Spencer(?) at LB. I'm interested in how he's going to play them.

That will be interesting. I'm sure right now, he wants to get our best 11 on the field. I would think if Sweat is OLB in that Jack/Viper role then you would have Leo inside for sure. So that leaves another inside spot and I would think Dez Harris has the lead right now. For the other outside spot I would think Jung would have the lead due to his length, athleticism and he played much better at the end of the year. Gay will probably be in the 2 deep inside and out. Hopefully Thompson can rotate in on the inside. I don't love our depth at LB. Washington played limited snaps. And I don't think Gray fits the mold that Grantham typically looks for in an OLB.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 12:25 PM
That will be interesting. I'm sure right now, he wants to get our best 11 on the field. I would think if Sweat is OLB in that Jack/Viper role then you would have Leo inside for sure. So that leaves another inside spot and I would think Dez Harris has the lead right now. For the other outside spot I would think Jung would have the lead due to his length, athleticism and he played much better at the end of the year. Gay will probably be in the 2 deep inside and out. Hopefully Thompson can rotate in on the inside. I don't love our depth at LB. Washington played limited snaps. And I don't think Gray fits the mold that Grantham typically looks for in an OLB.

Yea we're going to need Erroll, Willie, & Washington to give us some productive snaps.

lamont
02-28-2017, 12:27 PM

According to TG- yes

GTHOM
02-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Cam Dantzler and CJ Morgan Walker are going to see a lot of snaps. They might have been our best 2 last year but redshirted

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Cam Dantzler and CJ Morgan Walker are going to see a lot of snaps. They might have been our best 2 last year but redshirted

I expect Cam to get plenty of reps but it's going to be tough for CJ with the # of older Safeties we have.

smootness
02-28-2017, 02:02 PM

DE- Rivers
NT- Simmons
DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Dez Harris

CB- Peters
CB- Durr

S- Abrams
S- McLaurin

Green is absolutely not a 3-4 DE

I seen it dawg
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Bryant and Morgan Walker have work to do. Bryant on work ethic and MW on physical. Prob be nice to combine the 2.

lamont
02-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Bryant certainly has to step up and get after it- but he is the most talented guy we got in the Secondary.

msbulldog
02-28-2017, 06:30 PM
I think Sirmon trying to run the pro-style 2-gap screwed R Brown, G Green and others up. There is a reason Grantham simplified the defense after he left Georgia. 2-gap probably is too much for college players, very few ran the 3-4 in high school.

louisvilledawg
02-28-2017, 06:51 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PrvQzCwG63k/T2Z9fpQ-OOI/AAAAAAAAA1o/iGzc2P7v9MY/s1600/friday-damn-gif.gif

lamont
02-28-2017, 07:09 PM
I think Sirmon trying to run the pro-style 2-gap screwed R Brown, G Green and others up. There is a reason Grantham simplified the defense after he left Georgia. 2-gap probably is too much for college players, very few ran the 3-4 in high school.

All 3-4 teams are going to 2-gap some- so will we. But I'd look for us to shift alignments to be more 1 gap like 40 teams do. Instead of running a 3-tech and a 1-tech like alot of 40 teams- we will slide the front based on ball placement and/or tendencies. We could have the DE's in 4I's and shade the NG one way or the other. We could slide the front wide side to have a 4I, a strong shade, and a 5-tech. These are just 2 examples. Lots of options

preachermatt83
02-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Kobe and fletch will be competing hard to start. They will both surprise some ppl. They will both get tons of PT

Mjoelner34
02-28-2017, 07:18 PM

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/tflynt66/pappy_zpsuqc1eu8r.jpg

Bothrops
02-28-2017, 07:19 PM
I just didn't see the effort last year. Peter South is responsible for us getting blown out by Auburn, and losing to Arkansas, BYU, and Kentucky.

Ari Gold
02-28-2017, 07:20 PM

DE- Rivers
NT- Simmons
DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Dez Harris

CB- Peters
CB- Durr

S- Abrams
S- McLaurin

Clevland will start if he is healthy.
Hearing Smokey is working his ass off.
Landrews will be very involved in the pass Defesne
And Dantzler will get lots of PT.

We have bodies at the CB position will be interesting to see who steps up.

Ari Gold
02-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Don't be shocked if Hoyette, Kobe and Fletcher are ahead of Pope on depth chart.

lamont
02-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Cleveland is a guaranteed starter at CB

msstate7
02-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Don't be shocked if Hoyette, Kobe and Fletcher are ahead of Pope on depth chart.

If so, gotta figure pope will be RS'd

I seen it dawg
02-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Pope won't rs

msstate7
02-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Pope won't rs

Then I assume he won't be 4th on the depth chart like ari suggested

I seen it dawg
02-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Doesn't matter where he is. Won't rs

msstate7
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Doesn't matter where he is. Won't rs

Not sure I agree with that then. Our junior class is huge. No reason to not RS him if he's buried in depth chart

I seen it dawg
02-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Not sure I agree with that then. Our junior class is huge. No reason to not RS him if he's buried in depth chart

Sometimes there is more to it than what you think you know.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Pope doesn't have a RS Year available. He has 2 to play 2.

msstate7
02-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Pope doesn't have a RS Year available. He has 2 to play 2.

Then that certainly explains why he won't RS haha