PDA

View Full Version : New Mullen contract about to be announced

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-27-2017, 06:18 PM
4 year extension. 4.5 million per season.

HSVDawg
02-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Extension and a raise after 6-7? Well then.

msstate7
02-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Beat OM by 35 and in addition to rosebowl orchestrated the demise of OM football**

fader2103
02-27-2017, 06:22 PM
I am fine with it. Especially with rumors of Hughy. Wish they would have waited till Hugh resigned to announce it.

Cloak
02-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Good and bad. No coach should be getting an extension after a losing season (unless you're the Shitbird's coach for the next few years). But on the other side, it should lead to more stability through the next few crucial years of being the only relevant school in the state.

HSVDawg
02-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Beat OM by 35 and in addition to rosebowl orchestrated the demise of OM football**

I am really neither in support of it nor opposed to it, if that makes any sense. But I am surprised he got the raise with the extension. If it had just been the extension but no raise I would have understood it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-27-2017, 06:36 PM
We've wanted to be proactive and take advantage of OM's impending doom....from an appearance standpoint, it shows commitment and stability. I'll trust Cohen until he proves otherwise.

FISHDAWG
02-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Sexton working overtime

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2017, 06:48 PM
It's about time. It should have happened last year.

gtowndawg
02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

he should at least go by Rosebowl a new car. And I'm not joking.

Jack Lambert
02-27-2017, 07:02 PM

I think he needs a raise after signing the classes he did competing against Ole Miss who was cheating their ass off. All the rumors of what they did now sounds real. Like paying recruits not to visit State.

Joe Schmedlap
02-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Maybe he isn't truly getting a raise. Based on the last contract, I think coach Mullen was already going to receive around 4.5 million next season. It's hard to know for sure since our last AD liked to purposely obfuscate things when it comes to salaries. Gives Dan 4 year contracts that average "X" amount of dollars over the life of the contract. So, maybe the intense bastard just decided to pay Dan the highest level reached under the old salary agreement for 4 straight years. I'm okay with that I suppose. Not sure any real raise was warranted based on this last season's CF, but an extension of at least 2 years was needed for the perception of stability.

Bothrops
02-27-2017, 07:18 PM
I think it's an appropriate extension. Most of the woes last year were on the defense, and it looks to have been rectified.

Mimi's Babies
02-27-2017, 07:20 PM
I think he needs a raise after signing the classes he did competing against Ole Miss who was cheating their ass off. All the rumors of what they did now sounds real. Like paying recruits not to visit State.

Mullen was told of the cheating in February 2016..... and he held everything on an even playing field.

shannondawg
02-27-2017, 07:28 PM
It would have been awfully stupid if we didn't.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
We needed to show commitment and stability in our football program at this time more so than any time in our history. This extension, the hiring of grantham and English and some other moves shows we are stable and committed. Time to bury the bears and continue the growth and progression we have shown.

msbulldog
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm OK with it, we need coaching stability for recruiting purposes, I just hope we got a serious buyout to our advantage. In Cohen I trust, I think he's smarter than Sexton!

blacklistedbully
02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
And like clockwork, Paul Finebaum going on-and-on showing his obvious irritation at us for giving this contract to "a coach who had a losing record last year". Says it's all about poking UNM, and seems to be insinuating we are rewarding Mullen for his role in bringing his BF Hugh down.

msbulldog
02-27-2017, 07:38 PM
17 Pawl!

Political Hack
02-27-2017, 07:44 PM
he should at least go by Rosebowl a new car. And I'm not joking.

Lmao. You and Yancy think Rosebowl got them in trouble? They got themselves in trouble. Rosie just helped leak it when they were denying it. Same as this place, although Rosebowl's "deepthroat" was impressive down the stretch. The only two semi-accurate reporting outlets on the NCAA investigation has been here and on scout.

Somebody should go buy Leo Lewis a car for having the guts to endure the onslaught of hate despite being a teenager. Kids got guts.

msbulldog
02-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Lmao. You and Yancy think Rosebowl got them in trouble? They got themselves in trouble. Rosie just helped leak it when they were denying it. Same as this place, although Rosebowl's "deepthroat" was impressive down the stretch. The only two semi-accurate reporting outlets on the NCAA investigation has been here and on scout.

Somebody should go buy Leo Lewis a car for having the guts to ensure the onslaught of hate despite being a teenager. Kids got guts.

A Charger! +1

RocketDawg
02-27-2017, 07:48 PM
And like clockwork, Paul Finebaum going on-and-on showing his obvious irritation at us for giving this contract to "a coach who had a losing record last year". Says it's all about poking UNM, and seems to be insinuating we are rewarding Mullen for his role in bringing his BF Hugh down.

Paul really doesn't like us for some reason. Personally, I couldn't care less what he thinks. It was a really good move for stability. I think good things are to come with Mullen over the next few years.

RocketDawg
02-27-2017, 07:49 PM

Somebody should go buy Leo Lewis a car for having the guts to ensure the onslaught of hate despite being a teenager. Kids got guts.

Let's hope not.

LC Dawg
02-27-2017, 08:04 PM
If Mullen is committed to the job I love this extension. If he's not I guess it's just a little more money to get what we already have. The buyout on both sides is really what would be telling as to the thought process of each side.
In regards to Finebaum I wish our program would just avoid his show. I don't think he has as much influence as he thinks he does.

Todd4State
02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm fine with this. Basically the same salary and I hope it has performance based incentives in it for winning the SEC, winning the West, New Year's six bowl wins, and of course beating Ole Miss. Hopefully there are incentives for a top 15-20 recruiting class as well.

Dan did what I wanted to see in the offseason. Hired a legit DC, finished strong in recruiting, and made a move that helps us work around Hevesy and replaced Sallach.

blacklistedbully
02-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Paul really doesn't like us for some reason. Personally, I couldn't care less what he thinks. It was a really good move for stability. I think good things are to come with Mullen over the next few years.

Probably still pissed about "6-3" ;)

RougeDawg
02-27-2017, 08:20 PM

I think pour Pawl actually sees what Mullen has done with less talent than all SEC teams not Vanderbilt and Kentucky. He sees OM going down in flames and the impact it should have on our talent. He sees how we were only an OL away from knocking Bama off their perch on 2014 and close in 15. He sees our slowly but surely program actually is bulldibf for the long haul, and with some better OL classes, will start pushing for the West due to QB talent and development. Auburn and LSU will always be a threat but it takes a dynamic QB to beat Bama consistently. Look at Clemson and HFF. Paul sees that we are turning into the best QB coached team in the conference and now are bringing in top talent QB with regularity. He's laahing out like a scared and threatened animal.

Political Hack
02-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Let's hope not.

Lol. Been accused of that before, incorrectly of course. However after playing the Kevin Bacon 6 degrees of separation game they said that I helped an ole miss alumni sell a car to a kid at a discount, even though I've never met, spoken to, and still don't even know the name of the guy who sold the car...

As my wife always says "if you buy anybody a damn car, it better be me."

Back to topic, Mullen getting an extension is good for continuity. It's like the Steelers/VaTech model and it's our best chance to be successful. The end of this season was the first time I felt like Mullen was 100% committed to State and I'm glad we repaid that commitment. In the long term, I hope it was the right decision. For State, if the buy out didn't go up its probably a good business decision.

blacklistedbully
02-27-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm fine with this. Basically the same salary and I hope it has performance based incentives in it for winning the SEC, winning the West, New Year's six bowl wins, and of course beating Ole Miss. Hopefully there are incentives for a top 15-20 recruiting class as well.

Dan did what I wanted to see in the offseason. Hired a legit DC, finished strong in recruiting, and made a move that helps us work around Hevesy and replaced Sallach.

To what move are you referring?

preachermatt83
02-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Somebody should go buy Leo Lewis a car for having the guts to endure the onslaught of hate despite being a teenager. Kids got guts.

This place was right on for the most part, but no one should take away anything from how great rosebowl ha she been thru all this?

Political Hack
02-27-2017, 08:31 PM
This place was right on for the most part, but no one should take away anything from how great rosebowl ha she been thru all this?

Your sentence structure is confusing me. Rosebowl has had a great source throughout. Hence my reference to his deep throat. But the point remains, he didn't make Ole Miss cheat. He just actually reported it while the CL and others wouldn't. That started here, but he took it to the next level. And I admit, it was a lot of fun to watch.

LC Dawg
02-27-2017, 08:36 PM
The great thing about Mullen is that if he wins an SEC championship at State he will go on Finebaum and as Finebaum slobbers over him he will remind him of his past treatment of us because Mullen just doesn't give a shit.

Todd4State
02-27-2017, 08:39 PM
To what move are you referring?

Hiring DJ Looney.

HSVDawg
02-27-2017, 08:44 PM

No logic in that take whatsoever. OM has been under major NCAA scrutiny for over a year and will not wrap up their dealings for probably 6 more months at the earliest. Are we supposed to hold off announcing something that has been in the works for 3 months already until they are officially out of the news because of "respect"? I mean, what in the hell?

GTHOM
02-27-2017, 08:52 PM
As much shit as I have given Mullen over the years, and at times it has been well deserved I have to say he is here for the long haul and appears committed to taking us back to number 1. Hopefully for longer than 5 weeks this time. Aint gonna lie I was worried at times this year but Danny Two Gloves has knocked it out of the park since the Egg Bowl

NCDawg
02-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Hiring DJ Looney.

IMO, an extension of his contract should have been conditioned upon Mullen removing Hevesy as OL coach.

blacklistedbully
02-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Hiring DJ Looney.

Oh yeah! Thx for reminding me. Do you think Dan's going to use DJ as the lead and/or "co-recruiter" for Hevesey, even if it's "by territory" rather than position?

Turfdawg67
02-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Mullen was told of the cheating in February 2016..... and he held everything on an even playing field.

No offense, but you've posted like 75 times now and I swear I haven't understood one of them! At first I thought I was just a dumba$$, then I thought you were being coy but now I think you're just posting rambling random crap. Mullen was told in 2016??? Hell, Mullen has known Ole Miss is a bunch of cheaters since 2009! And he's known Freeze was dirty since 2012. Again, maybe I just don't understand your posting style or something...

RougeDawg
02-27-2017, 10:54 PM
As much shit as I have given Mullen over the years, and at times it has been well deserved I have to say he is here for the long haul and appears committed to taking us back to number 1. Hopefully for longer than 5 weeks this time. Aint gonna lie I was worried at times this year but Danny Two Gloves has knocked it out of the park since the Egg Bowl

Once his powder puff AD left he was finally held accountable. Something that had rarely occurred since Byrne was his boss.

GTHOM
02-27-2017, 11:09 PM

Haha OM booster already did that

GTHOM
02-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Once his powder puff AD left he was finally held accountable. Something that had rarely occurred since Byrne was his boss.

That could play a role as well. I wonder how much different we all would feel had we not blocked that kick vs Miami OH

gtowndawg
03-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Your sentence structure is confusing me. Rosebowl has had a great source throughout. Hence my reference to his deep throat. But the point remains, he didn't make Ole Miss cheat. He just actually reported it while the CL and others wouldn't. That started here, but he took it to the next level. And I admit, it was a lot of fun to watch.

Who said anything about Rosebowl made Ole Miss cheat? That's stupid.

Todd4State
03-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah! Thx for reminding me. Do you think Dan's going to use DJ as the lead and/or "co-recruiter" for Hevesey, even if it's "by territory" rather than position?

I hope so. I definitely think Looney will help because even though Looney is the TE coach, my guess is he will probably assist with the o-line some. We'll see if that's the case or not. I'm sure Hevesy will still be the primary o-line coach for now.

What I suspect will happen- and this is just speculation and not based on insider knowledge or anything like that- is that once the 10th assistant coach gets approved for 2018 we will likely move Peterson to the TE spot or something like that- maybe create a position like inside WR's coach and then give Looney a raise and title upgrade in the coming years to something like T/TE coach with Hevesy coaching C/G or even possibly promoting Hevesy to assistant HC and then making Looney the o-line coach with Peterson coaching TE's. I think that would have already happened had the extra coach been approved already. But to answer your question- yes, I think at the very least Looney is going to help Hevesy out a lot with recruiting. We've been trying to cover for Hevesy but it hasn't really worked out. We had Buckley try to cover for him but then recruits were complaining that they weren't getting to know their position coach. I think Looney will help put that at ease because he can tell recruits that he assists with the o-line a lot and will be coaching them a lot.

I know that there has been talk of Tony Grantham taking the extra spot too- and I guess that's still possible. But to me if that were going to be the case we would have hired him already as an "analyst" so that we could just transition him right to on the field.

I don't know exactly how it went down but if the rumors about Peterson being promised an on the field job are true, Dan probably went up to Peterson and told him that we HAD to do something about the o-line situation or he wouldn't get his extension and then none of them would have a job, but if he could wait one more year he would get the extra assistant coach job.

Todd4State
03-01-2017, 09:56 PM
IMO, an extension of his contract should have been conditioned upon Mullen removing Hevesy as OL coach.

I agree it's not ideal, but if Dan wants him around for whatever reason I'm fine with that as long as his deficiencies are managed. Honestly, if it were me I'd rather see Hevesy moved to the office and we let Looney take over and then move Peterson to TE coach.