PDA

View Full Version : Bruce pearl

msstate7
02-25-2017, 10:36 PM
His loss to Arkansas tonight ended all hope of an NCAA tourney. He's now 43-52 (15-37 sec) at auburn. Pearl has recruited just as well as us and maybe better bc he has 2 5*s (heron and wiley). Pearl's first time in the sec, he won at a 70.4% and made the NCAA tourney all 6 years he was there. Before coming to auburn, pearl coached in D1 10 years (4 at Milwaukee and 6 at tenn) and made the postseason 9 of 10 years (8 NCAA and 1 NIT) and made the sweet 16 4 times. Bruce pearl was a very decorated coach and has recruited excellent, yet he loses... a lot. I'm not gonna lie... pearl's struggle is concerning to me bc great talent and a big name coach doesn't seem to guarantee success

smootness
02-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Auburn is about as young as we are.

Their struggles should give you hope, not concern you. Both programs will look completely different as soon as next year.

Bothrops
02-26-2017, 02:25 AM
I feel like Howland and Pearl will start winning eventually.

wasabaka
02-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Your tendency to meltdown over the slightest thing in baseball gives me hope that basketball will be okay next year based on your level of concern.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 03:37 AM
His loss to Arkansas tonight ended all hope of an NCAA tourney. He's now 43-52 (15-37 sec) at auburn. Pearl has recruited just as well as us and maybe better bc he has 2 5*s (heron and wiley). Pearl's first time in the sec, he won at a 70.4% and made the NCAA tourney all 6 years he was there. Before coming to auburn, pearl coached in D1 10 years (4 at Milwaukee and 6 at tenn) and made the postseason 9 of 10 years (8 NCAA and 1 NIT) and made the sweet 16 4 times. Bruce pearl was a very decorated coach and has recruited excellent, yet he loses... a lot. I'm not gonna lie... pearl's struggle is concerning to me bc great talent and a big name coach doesn't seem to guarantee success

He hasn't recruited better then us when we both bring in next year's class.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 03:38 AM
I feel like Howland and Pearl will start winning eventually.

Howland will. He just took the approach this year as a throw away year which IMO always will drive a fanbase insane but this is what you get when you put no pressure at all on a coach.

DawgInMemphis
02-26-2017, 07:56 AM
The advantages the South has in football with regards to access to top flight talent in close proximity don't exist in basketball. The best basketball players come from large urban centers, something the South doesn't have much of. I find that a lot of the highly rated southern guys are a bit overrated at times.

That being said I think both teams are close to being tournament teams. We need depth inside and experience. Peters, Keglar, and Q are all sec type talent. It's easy to hide behind the "we're young" excuse, but it's very much reality.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 08:06 AM
He hasn't recruited better then us when we both bring in next year's class.

Auburn is bringing in 2 guys with an avg rating of .9803. We're bringing in 3 guys with an avg rating of .9283. If they don't lose heron, they'll have the more talented roster imo

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Auburn is bringing in 2 guys with an avg rating of .9803. We're bringing in 3 guys with an avg rating of .9283. If they don't lose heron, they'll have the more talented roster imo

They don't have 10 four stars on their team.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 08:23 AM
They don't have 10 four stars on their team.

Only 5 can play at a time and we don't have 2 5*s... either way though, both teams are way too talented to be losing this many games. Super young teams in the acc, big 10, and big 12, I can see... the sec is a 4-team league and the whole league is super young. Auburn and state should be better this year. Howland and pearl are 2 of the best coaches in the sec, but they've got to tweak their styles some or something.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 08:27 AM
I think when a big job opens at another school Pearl will be gone. He already complains openly here that basketball plays second fiddle to football in Alabama. I never thought Auburn was a last stop for Pearl. If I'm NC State, I go all in for him if I can't get Archie Miller.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 08:30 AM
I think when a big job opens at another school Pearl will be gone. He already complains openly here that basketball plays second fiddle to football in Alabama. I never thought Auburn was a last stop for Pearl. If I'm NC State, I go all in for him if I can't get Archie Miller.
I don't see Archie turning down nc state, but I agree

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Only 5 can play at a time and we don't have 2 5*s... either way though, both teams are way too talented to be losing this many games. Super young teams in the acc, big 10, and big 12, I can see... the sec is a 4-team league and the whole league is super young. Auburn and state should be better this year. Howland and pearl are 2 of the best coaches in the sec, but they've got to tweak their styles some or something.

I know at least 3-4 losses could have been erased if we play zone. Howland is going to have to learn that with today's whistle happy refs you have to protect your players defensively. If we zone against teams like Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Ole Miss, we win those games. He is going to have to tweak his philosophy just a little and play situational zone at times especially if we are in foul trouble. That to me is the big thing I could see that he needs to tweak.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 08:34 AM

I'm kind of curious if Wiley bolts to the NBA. That might be a double edged sword getting him eligible to play this year.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Smoot had a great post earlier this year laying out the talent of all the teams next year and who returns. We will easily be top three in talent and returning talent. Next year's top teams will be much different then this year's. The cream of the crop next year will be us, Kentucky, Alabama, and Auburn. The biggest problem with having a shitty year though this year is that we won't receive many pre-season accolades such as all SEC hype and pre-season top 25. Next year's team I just want us to hit 20+ wins and NIT team/NCAA bubble team. I'll be happy with that progression.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 08:52 AM
I know at least 3-4 losses could have been erased if we play zone. Howland is going to have to learn that with today's whistle happy refs you have to protect your players defensively. If we zone against teams like Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Ole Miss, we win those games. He is going to have to tweak his philosophy just a little and play situational zone at times especially if we are in foul trouble. That to me is the big thing I could see that he needs to tweak.

I'm hoping no zone this year is just to force us to learn man. I really hope once we get man down some that we mix in some zone. The sec is a conference full of great athletes that can beat you off the dribble, but a majority of the time struggle with shooting. Playing man vs bama is freaking ridiculous

Ari Gold
02-26-2017, 09:22 AM
As MLB gurus always say.. The back of the baseball card never lies
Everywhere CBH has been year 3 was the turn the corner year . No reason to believe that will change here next year...

msstate7
02-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Everywhere CBH has been year 3 was the turn the corner year . No reason to believe that will change here next year...

Everywhere pearl had been (southern Indiana, Milwaukee, and tenn), he won his conference in year 3 also. This year was his 3rd year at auburn and no dice

msugolf
02-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Just being year 3 won't fix our roster problems and talent issues. We get nothing from the 4 or 5 position. Herard has moments but he still has a ways to go. And we're pinning all our hope on 2 guys (Ado and Brooks) that have scored a total of 0 pts in college.

We don't have anyone at the 2 or 3 who is explosive. Q is not quick enough to be who we thought he was going to be. And virtually everyone on the team lacks key defensive skills when it comes to fundamentals ---helpside D, rotating on screens, defending down screens, etc.

I just see a lot of holes going into next year and don't see it being fixed with this roster. That's why I'm hoping howland really hits the grad transfer market this offseaseason. We desperately need guys who are physically and mentally ready.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Just being year 3 won't fix our roster problems and talent issues. We get nothing from the 4 or 5 position. Herard has moments but he still has a ways to go. And we're pinning all our hope on 2 guys (Ado and Brooks) that have scored a total of 0 pts in college.

We don't have anyone at the 2 or 3 who is explosive. Q is not quick enough to be who we thought he was going to be. And virtually everyone on the team lacks key defensive skills when it comes to fundamentals ---helpside D, rotating on screens, defending down screens, etc.

I just see a lot of holes going into next year and don't see it being fixed with this roster. That's why I'm hoping howland really hits the grad transfer market this offseaseason. We desperately need guys who are physically and mentally ready.

I definetely like the grad transfer idea. I hope we get a front court and back court guy. Trim who we have to

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:02 AM

This is just asinine. Stick to golf. Ado is light years ahead of Herard and will move Herard to where he should have been to begin with (coming off the bench). Q should improve and when Carter gets some weight on him will be another good player for us. Kegler, Wright, and Stapleton will all improve and could provide us with that 2 or 3 that is explosive. Stapleton isn't even fully healthy (should reach 100% by next year). You guys forget that these kids haven't even been through a full weight training offseason. Peters and Nick Weatherspoon will also be a hugely dynamic guard duo in the SEC and I think Brooks makes a good contribution next year. The talent is here. Seasoning and our S&C program need to kick in now IMO but the talent is there.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:03 AM
No freshmen have the skills you are talking about Golf. Those are learned in college.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 10:07 AM
This is just asinine. Stick to golf. Ado is light years ahead of Herard and will move Herard to where he should have been to begin with (coming off the bench). Q should improve and when Carter gets some weight on him will be another good player for us. Kegler, Wright, and Stapleton will all improve and could provide us with that 2 or 3 that is explosive. Stapleton isn't even fully healthy (should reach 100% by next year). You guys forget that these kids haven't even been through a full weight training offseason. Peters and Nick Weatherspoon will also be a hugely dynamic guard duo in the SEC and I think Brooks makes a good contribution next year. The talent is here. Seasoning and our S&C program need to kick in now IMO but the talent is there.

I really hope you're right. Malik Newman has made me very cautious getting my hopes up on 1st year guys. He was rated higher than anyone on our roster and the incoming guys by far

BankerDog
02-26-2017, 10:09 AM
You need to understand that outside of the private schools in the South, no one runs a "offense". It's all isolation and run the court. That's what AAU ball has done to the South in terms of basketball. It's a bunch of isolation, drive or shoot the three while everyone else stands and watch. This is all these kids know.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:14 AM
The biggest problem on D is communication which comes with time and experience. I think had we played zone until we mastered the man to man D that Howland harps on we would have been in much better shape this year. I don't think we need to shape up the roster as much as get an assistant who can teach sound zone principals so we give other teams a variety of defensive looks. Man to man is so difficult because if one player is out of position it will make the hole team look bad. But to reiterate no players in today's basketball world come out of high school with those defensive fundamentals you mention Golf. Even Kentucky struggles with this fact.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:19 AM
I really hope you're right. Malik Newman has made me very cautious getting my hopes up on 1st year guys. He was rated higher than anyone on our roster and the incoming guys by far

Newman was a perfect storm of coming into a top heavy team full of seniors that thought they were the shit thus creating chemistry issues and him getting a nagging injury (turf toe) pre-season that lingered throughout the year. That caused us to not see his full potential as a freshman.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:20 AM
So you guys still don't think this roster has talent? Really?

msstate7
02-26-2017, 10:27 AM
So you guys still don't think this roster has talent? Really?

I haven't ever said that. I can see lots of talent, but I also see mental lapses, poor guard defense, and not enough guys that can drive to the basket. Hopefully experience and nick help out here

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:38 AM
I haven't ever said that. I can see lots of talent, but I also see mental lapses, poor guard defense, and not enough guys that can drive to the basket. Hopefully experience and nick help out here

Was more talking about Golf's message saying we have talent issues. But believe it or not, we do have fringe fans who think Howland will fail at MSU and that he is washed up. I'm more referring to some on the SixPackSpeak board that tend to rear their head on here from time to time.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Was more talking about Golf's message saying we have talent issues. But believe it or not, we do have fringe fans who think Howland will fail at MSU and that he is washed up. I'm more referring to some on the SixPackSpeak board that tend to rear their head on here from time to time.

I think howland will win, but I don't think it's next season. I think Q's senior year, we finally break through into the NCAA and have a really good year. I think we're an NIT team next season.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:44 AM
I think howland will win, but I don't think it's next season. I think Q's senior year, we finally break through into the NCAA and have a really good year. I think we're an NIT team next season.

You will see a lot of gems in that "We just play streetball" thread. Who is that bruiser guy?

Ari Gold
02-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I will be the one that said I ****ing told ya so... so go ahead and book mark this..

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
I will be the one that said I ****ing told ya so... so go ahead and book mark this..

Which way?

Bully13
02-26-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm sick of waiting on Howland to deliver.

MarketingBully
02-26-2017, 10:56 AM

lol it's been two years and he lost most of his team from last year.

msstate7
02-26-2017, 10:59 AM

So what's the prediction? We win sec next season?

drummerdawg
02-26-2017, 11:17 AM
If everyone returns that is supposed to, we'll be pretty good next year. Probably NIT/NCAA bubble with 2019 being the big year. The thing about next year is that we'll have quality depth everywhere. That's something we don't have this year.

CadaverDawg
02-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Hahaha

This is essentially year 1 for him, and he's fielding the youngest team in the country. I expected to see us build off of a decent early SEC start, and was disappointed when we didn't...but acting like Howland is taking too long is hilarious. That would be like saying " Cannizaro isn't getting it done fast enough", right now bc we lost to Morehead, ha....bc he took over a much better situation than Howland.

CadaverDawg
02-26-2017, 11:23 AM
If everyone returns that is supposed to, we'll be pretty good next year. Probably NIT/NCAA bubble with 2019 being the big year. The thing about next year is that we'll have quality depth everywhere. That's something we don't have this year.

I agree.

The Q injury plus having zero interior depth has hurt. I don't think people realize how huge it will be to have Herard, Ado, and Brooks as post options vs Herard and Datcher. That will keep them fresh and provide more rebounding which will lead to less easy buckets and second chance points for opponents. It will also add second chance points and easy buckets to our offense. It's a game changer just to have talented bodies down low.

And Our backcourt should be hell to deal with. Just gotta play D...but that's MUCH easier when you have Ado AND Herard behind you to be a wall versus guys driving on you. I'm telling you, Ado alone will make us much better.

tcdog70
02-26-2017, 11:48 AM
I agree.

The Q injury plus having zero interior depth has hurt. I don't think people realize how huge it will be to have Herard, Ado, and Brooks as post options vs Herard and Datcher. That will keep them fresh and provide more rebounding which will lead to less easy buckets and second chance points for opponents. It will also add second chance points and easy buckets to our offense. It's a game changer just to have talented bodies down low.

And Our backcourt should be hell to deal with. Just gotta play D...but that's MUCH easier when you have Ado AND Herard behind you to be a wall versus guys driving on you. I'm telling you, Ado alone will make us much better.

Two things that will make us better next year.
1. Having a post player that can receive a pass and finish at the rim.
2. With today's rules, we must be able to mix some zone in with man defense.

parabrave
02-26-2017, 11:51 AM
You need to understand that outside of the private schools in the South, no one runs a "offense". It's all isolation and run the court. That's what AAU ball has done to the South in terms of basketball. It's a bunch of isolation, drive or shoot the three while everyone else stands and watch. This is all these kids know.

This^^^^^

Ari Gold
02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
So what's the prediction? We win sec next season?

Did anyone think we would win the SEC in year 3?
We dance year 3...

msstate7
02-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Did anyone think we would win the SEC in year 3?
We dance year 3...

I hope you're right. I'm sticking with year 4 before we dance. It'll take pearl at least to year 4 and another really good coach (frank Martin) took 4 years just to get to the NIT. Martin will most likely be a tourney team this year (year 5)