02-25-2017, 04:20 PM
I just don't understand why we've gotten so much worse. We can't even catch now

msstate7
02-25-2017, 04:21 PM
I just don't understand why we've gotten so much worse. We can't even catch now

And we can't lay it up successfully if we do

Bothrops
02-25-2017, 04:27 PM
We don't do anything well anymore. We play lazy, can't handle the ball, and just look half ass all the time.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 04:30 PM
We don't do anything well anymore. We play lazy, can't handle the ball, and just look half ass all the time.

Yep. In case you guys haven't noticed, I watch all basketball, baseball, and football games. This basketball team is really making it hard though... I just don't like this team.

msugolf
02-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Honestly I don't think we're as talented as people thought we were. Our team strength is basically spot up shooting and we're mediocre at that.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 04:40 PM
5-min scoring drought...

smootness
02-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Honestly I don't think we're as talented as people thought we were. Our team strength is basically spot up shooting and we're mediocre at that.

We are really, really talented.

chef dixon
02-25-2017, 04:48 PM
I have no clue how we are even playing teams close. We play so bad.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
I hope every position is open following the last game of the year. I don't see any player that should be wrote in the starting 5 with a pen

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 04:51 PM
This is a group of individuals who have all been the best player on their AAU or High School teams. None of them know anything about playing team BB or being a role player. Some will leave after this year as most are sure that they are better than they really are. The ones that stay will be a year older, but not a year better. Maybe Nick, Brooks, and Ado will help but their addition will help keep us one of the youngest again. Doesn't matter who this bunch plays, they look the same every game.

Bothrops
02-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Watching this makes you feel bad all over. I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch the rest of the schedule.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Worst coaching job by Ben Howland in his career and I'll stick by that statement.

chef dixon
02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Eli should play way more. Stapleton thinks he's Kobe. Our big men can't catch, defend, or not travel.

Irondawg
02-25-2017, 04:56 PM
My problem now with Howland is that goals for this year are done. Tell them to learn to play defense or their butts will be glued to the bench. We play just atrocious defense half of the time.

Around the KY game I had some hope for this team. We were playing better: moving the ball well on offense and giving more effort on defense. Since that game we have regressed tremendously and that's incredibly disappointing

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Afraid the amt of posts and posters on this threat show how few of us can stand to watch. As Motley Crue sang, "It's the Same Ole, Same Ole Situation", every game with these guys. All of them now have a year under their belt and they look and play worse.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 04:57 PM
This is a group of individuals who have all been the best player on their AAU or High School teams. None of them know anything about playing team BB or being a role player. Some will leave after this year as most are sure that they are better than they really are. The ones that stay will be a year older, but not a year better. Maybe Nick, Brooks, and Ado will help but their addition will help keep us one of the youngest again. Doesn't matter who this bunch plays, they look the same every game.

They have regressed to this point. When they were 3-1 they looked like the talent that Howland brought in. Ready got hurt that jump started this losing streak and it kind of snowballed from there.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:00 PM
I can't stand how we play man 100% of the time. I understand we're trying to learn it, but I don't want to lose so many games that we lose all confidence. If we just play zone 15-20% of the time, we probably win some of these close losses.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:05 PM
I can't stand how we play man 100% of the time. I understand we're trying to learn it, but I don't want to lose so many games that we lose all confidence. If we just play zone 15-20% of the time, we probably win some of these close losses.

No shit but Howland doesn't teach zone. He is stubborn that way. Heck, if we switched to zone, we probably don't foul as much either.

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 05:06 PM
The Bible says that you are blessed to have a son in your old age. I will soon be 62 years young (MSU Class of '77), and have a 33 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. My son is True Maroon with his favorite two teams MSU and whoever is playing UNM (like his dad!). We look forward to watching the BB games together each week and it feels like watching the movie, "Groundhog Day", every week no matter who we play.***

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:07 PM
First possession out of half and we can't get a shot off. I really don't like this team

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:07 PM
I think at this stage there is no defending Howland or this team at this point. We are what we are this year. A very talented but shitty team that doesn't play with effort 100% of the time. That type of team causes fan apathy and is why we are where we are.

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 05:10 PM
They are really just going thru the motions today. No effort from a single one of these guys. They have quit.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:11 PM
And just for the record. Holman is not a five.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:13 PM
What I want to know is if we are playing man to man how the hell are there so many wide open three point shots out of it?

Goldendawg
He sure thinks he a three pt shooter though.

MarketingBully
They are really just going thru the motions today. No effort from a single one of these guys. They have quit.

Yeah. This is why I think LSU beats us. They don't even look like they give a shit anymore.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Howland allows it. Put walk one out there. Stop babying this team

civildawg
02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Howland better get this straightened out next year

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
He sure thinks he a three pt shooter though.

We tried that experiment for the first part of this year with Holman at the five. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

RocketDawg
02-25-2017, 05:16 PM
What's our worse loss this year? I have a feeling it's today. As I type, we're down 45-24.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Whoever said we were better than Missouri the other night was mistaken... they're playing much better than us and will prove it first round of sec tourney

civildawg
I better not see Greg Ellis asking people to get to the hump to support this team. They deserve to play in front of an empty hump.

MarketingBully
Howland allows it. Put walk one out there. Stop babying this team

If he finishes 14-17 this year, I hope his strategy pays off of getting Datcher instead of a seasoned big man that would have helped this year. We were in the running with several and struck out. This team as he recruited for this year is maddening.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:18 PM
What's our worse loss this year? I have a feeling it's today. As I type, we're down 45-24.

The Ole Miss game at Oxford. 27 point beatdown that Howland said was important.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm telling you the only reason we were in the game the last two games against Florida and Ole Miss was because they played like shit. Even last year's team would have won both of those games the way those teams were playing by 10-15 points. However, our team found ways to lose both those games against teams playing like absolute shit.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Vandy has 8 scholarship players and they're doubling us up. This is unacceptable and I don't give a damn what howland won in the past. Hell Rick ray has his team 1st place in their division.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Nice 31 point beatdown. Great job Howland.

smootness
Vandy has 8 scholarship players and they're doubling us up. This is unacceptable and I don't give a damn what howland won in the past. Hell Rick ray has his team 1st place in their division.

Goodness, people.

MarketingBully

Is it safe to say Howland lost this team?

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Goodness, people.

Whatever man. Just whatever.

RocketDawg
02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
The Ole Miss game at Oxford. 27 point beatdown that Howland said was important.

We've surpassed that now ... down 33 at the moment. Going for new heights.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Goodness, people.
What do we do well smoot? I'm not saying fire howland, but this is an awful performance by him this season

civildawg
02-25-2017, 05:30 PM
How anyone can defend this team or howland right now is just beyond me.

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 05:30 PM
33 to 7 Vandy run.

smootness
02-25-2017, 05:36 PM
What do we do well smoot? I'm not saying fire howland, but this is an awful performance by him this season

This is exactly why I said we should be cautious about preseason expectations. With this many young, inexperienced players you never have any idea what you're going to get.

This year isn't a success, obviously. No one is trying to suggest that. But is it a disaster that means Howland has done a terrible job or has lost the team? No. It means we're super young and inexperienced.

Think about freshmen who get playing time on good teams. You know how they do dumb things from time to time that people chalk up as 'freshman mistakes'? Well, that's our whole freaking team. Yes, they do dumb things and make bad mistakes. Because they're all freshmen. Those mistakes aren't mitigated, they're compounded because everybody's making them.

Next year is the year where we have much more of an idea of what we have and should expect. This year was always just going to be a crapshoot and an up-and-down ride.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:36 PM

Agreed. Howland picked the worst time in his career to have his worst coached season. But, this is by far the worst coached team I have seen him lead. Just terrible all the way around. Last year's team played billion times better then this and they had legitimate chemistry issues. They also got better as the season went along. This one has regressed to the point of I don't even want to watch them and can we forfeit the rest of our games this season bad.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Om wins... 18-11 now. They're the best basketball program in the state by a lightyear.

civildawg
02-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Having freshmen don't excuse effort but keep defending this team

smootness
02-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Having freshmen don't excuse effort but keep defending this team

Yes, I will keep defending the least experienced team in the country. Sue me.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Biggest blowout of the season sissy pups lose 77-48.

BayouDawg
02-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Yes, I will keep defending the least experienced team in the country. Sue me.

While I agree that we are a young team and are due for freshman brain farts here and there. I can't excuse getting worse every game though. I don't know what the problem is. We had 40 minute long freshman brain fart today. And it STANK!

Bothrops
02-25-2017, 05:58 PM
6th loss in a row. Howland has a hell of a lot to answer for going into next season.

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Hey we scored 48 and cut it to 29. Quite a show of heart and desire!******

msstate7
02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
The sec is expected to have 4 teams in the tourney. We have lost 6 straight and since our 3-1 start, we're 2-10 in conference. Again, the sec is a 4 team conference... we are God awful at basketball.

I almost welcome some guys to leave after the season. I'd have no problem going after a couple graduate transfers -- one in back court and one in front court.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 06:01 PM
The sec is expected to have 4 teams in the tourney. We have lost 6 straight and since our 3-1 start, we're 2-10 in conference. Again, the sec is a 4 team conference... we are God awful at basketball.

I almost welcome some guys to leave after the season. I'd have no problem going after a couple graduate transfers -- one in back court and one in front court.

Me too. Any of these attitude asshats want to leave. Go for it.

Goldendawg
02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
They are much closer to being Sophomores and a Junior (Q), at this stage of the season. Maybe they are "sandbagging" to win the SEC tourney and get the automatic NCAA bid. Not!!***** This "team" is much worse after nearly a year of experience.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't know what it is but this always happens when you allow a coach to build with no consequence and allow them "throw away" years. I hope Howland's gambles pay off. We are 50/50 when it comes to this. We struck out with Rick Ray and his building with no consequence. We hit a homerun when Cohen did it. So now we are here. At least he has done it before. That is the only reason that gives me hope he gets it turned around here.

CadaverDawg
02-25-2017, 06:13 PM
I've defended Howland all year due to youth....but damn. This ain't ALL a youth problem. Youth gets better as the year goes on. Youth shows growth from game to game. We are too talented to be getting worse. I had low expectations but I'm still disappointed in the way this season is going. I was fine with this record when we were competing against UK and others and coming up short. But now, it looks like we've quit. Disappointing

msstate7
02-25-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't know what it is but this always happens when you allow a coach to build with no consequence and allow them "throw away" years. I hope Howland's gambles pay off. We are 50/50 when it comes to this. We struck out with Rick Ray and his building with no consequence. We hit a homerun when Cohen did it. So now we are here. At least he has done it before. That is the only reason that gives me hope he gets it turned around here.

What most leave out in the howland has won conference in year 3 is at Pitt and ucla, he made the postseason in year 2. He was 19-14 and lost to us in NIT in 2000-1 at Pitt. He was 18-11 and lost in first round of NCAA at ucla in 2004-5. I'm not saying we won't make a huge jump next season, but we aren't in any way following howland's path at his last 2 stops

chef dixon
02-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Freshmen usually hit walls. Problem is we have an entire team of them. We are also unbalanced position wise. Q has to work extremely hard with our personnel to get a look. Our offense has no end point or goal.

I think we will get better after an offseason that will return pretty much our entire team. Plus the addition of 2 or maybe 3 guys that can play in the paint.

Yea it's ugly right now but Rick Ray didn't lose his entire roster of seniors after his first year. Also Ray was bringing in some of the worst power 5 prospects I have ever seen, his JUCO patchwork was atrocious. At least howland is bringing in quality players and not showing to have any recruiting years where he doesn't bring in anyone of note.

BayouDawg
02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
What concerns me is that we look like we have no idea what want to do on the offensive end. Floor spacing is bad, ball movement is bad, nobody moves without the ball. And we take so long to get into our sets. We waste 8-12 seconds every possession just carelessly dribbling around the peremeter.

MarketingBully
02-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Well, we will have a much better front court next year. Having to depend on Holman/Herard this year has been a nightmare.

Bully13
02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
This shit is shit.

biggun
02-25-2017, 07:10 PM
I've defended Howland all year due to youth....but damn. This ain't ALL a youth problem. Youth gets better as the year goes on. Youth shows growth from game to game. We are too talented to be getting worse. I had low expectations but I'm still disappointed in the way this season is going. I was fine with this record when we were competing against UK and others and coming up short. But now, it looks like we've quit. Disappointing

Not sure how talented we really are. Down low, we stink. Period.
Herard is a project who is awful on the defensive end.
Holman thinks he is a guard and his attitude and consistency need significant improvement
Datcher - not sure why we signed him. Could see him exiting after the season

Our Guards/Wings all have some positives but they all also have some glaring weaknesses with the most obvious one they all share is on the defensive end. How many times did Tyree for Ole Miss blow right by Peters in the 2nd half and OT??? It was embarrassing. Q has had his fair share of struggles in man to man. Stapleton's lateral quickness has been hurt by multiple knee surgeries. I could go on and on

We need more talent. Period. We need major help down low. Period. Can Ado wipe away all of our issues in the paint???
Let's hope so. And being a good defender starts with desire and effort. Howland has to find a way to light a fire under this team or we are in trouble.

Bully13
02-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Howland doesn't give a 17. Just wanted some money for his grandkids. 17 this shit. Tired.

smootness
02-25-2017, 07:33 PM
What most leave out in the howland has won conference in year 3 is at Pitt and ucla, he made the postseason in year 2. He was 19-14 and lost to us in NIT in 2000-1 at Pitt. He was 18-11 and lost in first round of NCAA at ucla in 2004-5. I'm not saying we won't make a huge jump next season, but we aren't in any way following howland's path at his last 2 stops

And at Northern Arizona, which most closely matches this situation with a near total turnover of the roster after year 1, they were worse in year 2, then still made the same huge jump in year 3.

Plenty of our fans said this year doesn't really matter, that year 3 is the test...yet here we sit, trying to make judgements and overreacting in year 2. I get it, because we're fans, but the fact remains - this whole team will make a big jump next year. Just be patient.

msstate7
02-25-2017, 07:44 PM
And at Northern Arizona, which most closely matches this situation with a near total turnover of the roster after year 1, they were worse in year 2, then still made the same huge jump in year 3.

Plenty of our fans said this year doesn't really matter, that year 3 is the test...yet here we sit, trying to make judgements and overreacting in year 2. I get it, because we're fans, but the fact remains - this whole team will make a big jump next year. Just be patient.

Look who you're quoting... I'm never patient haha

I can handle losing bc I didn't expect to be a postseason team this year, but we don't seem to be improving at all and that's the concerning part to me. I'm just really disappointed in how we're limping down the stretch when I thought we would be hitting our stride. I wasn't the only one either... until recently the announcers were saying we'd be a team no one wanted to face in the sec tourney. HA! We're exactly who I'd want to play if I were an opposing team