PDA

View Full Version : How do we compensate for our OL woes

Irondawg
09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
We all expected them to take a least a small step forward as a group and thusfar if anything they look worse than last year as a unit. Malone getting hurt doesn't help.

I have no expertise in the area but seems we need to find ways of slowing the rush with playcalling - screens, at least play action jet sweeps - anything to freeze the ends for a moment to buy time. Because if we go straight up we're getting whipped, especially on the right side.

And we don't have great blocking TE's or FB to really help out. Maybe turtle as a FB some?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2013, 11:04 AM
You compensate for O-Line troubles by having a QB that can run. Zing... around and around we go!

HancockCountyDog
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
We all expected them to take a least a small step forward as a group and thusfar if anything they look worse than last year as a unit. Malone getting hurt doesn't help.

I have no expertise in the area but seems we need to find ways of slowing the rush with playcalling - screens, at least play action jet sweeps - anything to freeze the ends for a moment to buy time. Because if we go straight up we're getting whipped, especially on the right side.

And we don't have great blocking TE's or FB to really help out. Maybe turtle as a FB some?

Its my biggest concern going forward. It was depressing watching our OL get beat by Alcorn.

What you can't do is force them to line up and try and beat the guy across from them. Also, any last hope of Damien Robinson somehow contributing, is just that, hope.

If Mullen trots Russell out against AU and the rest of the SEC, there is no way that he makes it through the season with this OL, its just not possible.

gravedigger
09-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Stop calling plays that require a tackle to hold a block for 5 seconds while a qb stands in the pocket.

Or just less of them anyway.

Coach34
09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
You insert a mobile QB
You run plays like the zone read that doesn't even require you to block the DE
You run other option plays that usually require double teams at the point of attack
You throw quicker pass routes
You run misdirection plays
You insert a mobile QB

ckDOG
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
You insert a mobile QB
You run other option plays that usually require double teams at the point of attack
You insert a mobile QB

These plus use of a RB that can run through people.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Whats so fun about this never ending conversation is that we have all the players needed to execute and correct this problem, HOWEVER.......

Bothrops
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Start Dak

ckDOG
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Whats so fun about this never ending conversation is that we have all the players needed to execute and correct this problem, HOWEVER.......

No, it's worse than that. Mullen and Co. know this also. Loyalties trumping their own experiences in how to win. I get that Russell is accurate and a hard worker, but if we are going to go that route, at least teach him to sling it quickly and throw the ball deep down field to keep the D honest. It's the only way a guy with Russell's abilities can succeed.

Edit: it's the only way a guy with Russell's abilities combined with an average OL can succeed. If we had Bama's OL and receivers, he'd have all the time in the world to pick apart a defense, but he doesn't have that luxury here.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Honestly, you have a mobile QB and you run the damn ball. It's easier to run block than it is to pass block. And almost all offensive linemen would rather run block. That's why so many of us have been on #TeamDak. If we'll commit to running it 30+ times a game, it will help our OL and play to the strength of our offense - the RB corps. Letting the OL be physical goes a long way in covering up other problems.

You also help them with short, quick passes that get out of the QBs hand quickly. Screens are also a good idea, as it helps slow the blitz. You also have to take a couple of deep shots every game to keep the D hones and from stacking the box all the time.

It's not as simple as it sounds, but that's how you do it.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
You insert a mobile QB
You insert a mobile QB

+1

msstate7
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Run screens and more than a few.

msstate7
09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Run screens and more than a few.
Wouldn't wr screens make defensive linemen run more thus tiring them? If so, run screens and maybe tired d'linemen make our o'linemen more equal

deltadawg99
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Mobile quarterback helps
Pass plays that don't take forever to develop
Run crossing routes and use your TEs. This can get mismatches in the passing game and also make the opposing teams LBs respect the pass and not stack the box
Misdirections
Screens

KB21
09-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Thing is, you can't build your offense around screen passes. Screen passes are constraint plays. For whatever reason, we do not use screen passes very well with Tyler in the game.

Goat Holder
09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Party line back in the day was that the spread was going to help our OL out. And it seemed to happen between 2008 and 2009. I guess I'm just confused why they can't run some sort of pass happy spread for Russell. Quick passes and such. Seems that would be much easier than trying to go pro-style and shit like that.

Guess I should be asking Rich Rod the same questions, because it appears Mullen is the exact same type of coach.

archdog
09-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Because it takes 5 seconds for the ball to get there.

sandwolf
09-09-2013, 11:46 PM
It's easier to run block than it is to pass block. And almost all offensive linemen would rather run block.

I played OL through high school and this is definitely the first time I have ever heard this. Everybody I played with or have heard talk about it felt like it was a hell of a lot easier to hold your ground than it was to try and move someone else out of the way or get to a fast linebacker and try to seal him off in the open field. I could see this being the case for the tackles at this level that are trying to block SEC DE's, but I would be surprised to hear any interior lineman say that it is easier to run block.