PDA

View Full Version : I Think Wolken Summed It Up Best Today

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2017, 01:37 AM
Was listening to Bounds this morning and thought Dan Wolken had the best perspective that I've heard on the Ole Miss situation.

While everyone wants a smoking gun that links Ole Miss to massive cash payments, pay for play, and hookers, for the NCAA, it was never about that. What they found is exactly what they were looking for. The allegations against OM are numerous and vary on severity, but all paint a rather clear picture that this was an organized effort by a program to systematically cut corners in order to find advantages in recruiting. A clear and consistent trend of boosters and coaches working together to recruit was established and at the end of the day, that was all the smoking gun the NCAA needed.

OM fans will say that each individual violation is petty and minimize the severity of such allegation, but when all allegations are combined it's paints a clear picture of how "The Network" operated in cohesion with the coaching staff.

Just thought Wolken hit the nail on the head better than any other media personality or journalist.

Dawgface
02-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Saw a post on another board that said he expected 45-60 scholarships lost and a 3 year bowl ban. Did he really say this?

Martianlander
02-24-2017, 09:08 AM
They will be "no bowl ole" for a while. If the scholarship reduction is what I believe it will be, they won't go to one anyway for several years.

chainedup_Dawg
02-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Saw a post on another board that said he expected 45-60 scholarships lost and a 3 year bowl ban. Did he really say this?

He apparently said it on a radio interview, it was posted here yesterday in one of the threads as well

thf24
02-24-2017, 09:22 AM

I have a hard time wrapping my head around 60. If they got that they're looking at a 10+ year recovery. They might as well just go ahead and give them the death penalty instead, it might not even be as bad in the end. I think 45 has got to be the upper limit if the death penalty isn't on the table.

WSOPdawg
02-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Was listening to Bounds this morning and thought Dan Wolken had the best perspective that I've heard on the Ole Miss situation.

While everyone wants a smoking gun that links Ole Miss to massive cash payments, pay for play, and hookers, for the NCAA, it was never about that. What they found is exactly what they were looking for. The allegations against OM are numerous and vary on severity, but all paint a rather clear picture that this was an organized effort by a program to systematically cut corners in order to find advantages in recruiting. A clear and consistent trend of boosters and coaches working together to recruit was established and at the end of the day, that was all the smoking gun the NCAA needed.

OM fans will say that each individual violation is petty and minimize the severity of such allegation, but when all allegations are combined it's paints a clear picture of how "The Network" operated in cohesion with the coaching staff.

Just thought Wolken hit the nail on the head better than any other media personality or journalist.

This ^^^^^

Most are chastising the minimal amounts of each allegation, but from the NCAA's point of view, it's the system they're looking to dismantle.

If you pay Player B 13-15.6k, what's to say you didn't pay players X, Y and Z significantly more? If you provide free accommodations at the Inn to only one player mentioned in the NOA, what's to say you didn't provide the same accommodations to 20 other recruits (which everybody knows they did!!!)?

Dan Wolken has been the best so far amongst the national media to grasp that this is not about the small dollar amounts listed as much as it is about the system in place to make the NCAA look like fools.