PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Playoff hypothetical

Sacrifice
02-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Did OM cheating a$$ cost us a playoff spot in 2014?
The 4 teams in the playoffs that year were Bama, Florida St, Oregon and Ohio St. all one loss teams.
I know all 4 teams won there conference but it would've made our argument to get in pretty solid. A one lost SEC team and our only lose would've been a 25-20 lost @ Bama. It's just something to think about.

Maroonthirteen
02-23-2017, 01:55 PM
No. Herbstreit and many others were advocating for Ohio State before the outcome of the Egg Bowl that year. Ohio State would have leap frogged us in the poll after their BIG10 Championship game win.

Quaoarsking
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Archie said in an interview last year that we were in with an Egg Bowl win, but there's no way to know for sure.

msstate7
02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Archie said in an interview last year that we were in with an Egg Bowl win, but there's no way to know for sure.

I thought Archie had quit the committee

TNDawg35
02-23-2017, 02:13 PM
We beat Bama, and we wouldn't have had to worry about it...

CarolinaDawgs
02-23-2017, 02:16 PM
We wouldve gotten that 5 spot and been salty for the rest of eternity. Kinda glad it didnt happen. Not glad that we lost, but glad I didnt have to endure the pain.

Johnson85
02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Did OM cheating a$$ cost us a playoff spot in 2014?
The 4 teams in the playoffs that year were Bama, Florida St, Oregon and Ohio St. all one loss teams.
I know all 4 teams won there conference but it would've made our argument to get in pretty solid. A one lost SEC team and our only lose would've been a 25-20 lost @ Bama. It's just something to think about.

Somebody with way, way too much time on their hand could probably look at who UM beat us for that we probably would have signed on an even playing field (I'm not sure it would have been that many), who we wouldn't have signed as a result of getting one or two of UM's recruits (do we miss out on somebody like Taveze (who I'm pretty sure was a last second take? Or McKinney (not as sure)?).

And then look at which games that likely would have changed.

And to dig further, you'd want to look at how each change impacted a subsequent class. Would getting CJ Johnson and B-Mac make Richie Brown pick another place?

LC Dawg
02-23-2017, 02:56 PM

That was just so Ole Miss could say they kept us out of the playoffs. **** Archie and every Manning except Peyton who told Ole Miss they weren't worth his talent.

ETA: Nevermind, **** Peyton too. He's a Manning.

Quaoarsking
02-23-2017, 03:34 PM
I thought Archie had quit the committee

Yeah but he said that while he was on it, the committee liked us a lot and "as far as he knew" we would have stayed #4 had we finished 11-1.

He could of course be wrong or have just been being polite.

jumbo
02-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Nah, we wouldn't have made it in even if we beat OM.