PDA

View Full Version : So the consensus on penalties....

lamont
02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Seems to be:

Minimum 40 Schollys lost over 4 or 5 years
Minimum 2 year bowl ban
Hugh Freeze done in college football
Minimum 4 years probation

It will take them a decade to recover

Jack Lambert
02-23-2017, 10:07 AM
There's going to have to be a lot more BJ's to get recruits.

smootness
02-23-2017, 10:11 AM
With the bowl ban would come the ability for current players to transfer without penalty. They just signed a poor recruiting class. And they would be trying to crawl out from under crippling sanctions in the SEC West with limited resources and probably multiple similar (or worse) recruiting classes to come.

Yes, it will probably destroy them for a long while.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-23-2017, 10:12 AM
NCAA to Ole Miss

http://catchquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/11-Step-Brothers-quotes.gif

starkvegasdawg
02-23-2017, 10:20 AM
There's going to have to be a lot more BJ's to get recruits.

Reporting for duty.

https://queerty-prodweb.s3.amazonaws.com/wp/docs/2013/08/Shepard-Smith.png

GreenheadDawg
02-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Bracky better be on high alert. They will use this "downtime" to take us down with them. They are gonna get nasty

GreenheadDawg
02-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Reporting for duty.

Haha. Hilarious

reno hightower
02-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Seems to be:

Minimum 40 Schollys lost over 4 or 5 years
Minimum 2 year bowl ban
Hugh Freeze done in college football
Minimum 4 years probation

It will take them a decade to recover

me like!!!

Ari Gold
02-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Reporting for duty.

Like I said a previously.
Umiss is ****ed. So ****ed. And not the way normal people get ****ed but the way this guy gets ****ed.

Johnson85
02-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Just looking at 40 over 4, even if UM does an excellent job at evaluating prospects and avoiding attrition, the pain will really be felt in 2019 and the bottom will fall out in 2020, and they won't realistically recover before 2023. And that's if they do a great job of evaluation and retaining players (and assuming they don't just up their cheating to counter schollie losses, which I don't think they'll be dumb enough to do).

We'll really need to make hay while the sun is shining over the next five or six years. I don't expect us to really clean up as most of the recruits are just going to go to somebody else with similar recruiting style to Ole Miss, but we should be able to pick up another 3-4 decent to good MS prospects each year, which should make a big difference to us.

Jarius
02-23-2017, 10:47 AM
I have a sanctions question for those that know. Does 40 over 4 mean that they have to be 40 players under the 85 scholarship limit for 4 years, or 10 scholarships under the limit for 4 years?

Johnson85
02-23-2017, 10:56 AM
I have a sanctions question for those that know. Does 40 over 4 mean that they have to be 40 players under the 85 scholarship limit for 4 years, or 10 scholarships under the limit for 4 years?

My understanding is that they essentially lose ten scholarships a year, so they can only sign 15 for four years. I'm don't know whether they actually have to get to 75 scholarships after one year. I assume that they don't because the NCAA will not want to be accused of causing somebody to lose their scholarship. That's where I ballparked 2019 and 2020 as the year sanctions really start to bite. They will have a full roster in 2017. In 2018, they will only be able to sign 15 people, but they might only lose 18, depending on how their classes are balanced. Presumably, their freshman class is the largest (because it will have new signees plus some redshirts, and the subsequent classes tend to be smaller as more attrition happens, although this ignores JUCO signees and obviously it doesn't always work out that way even ignoring JUCOs), so they may only end up a few scholarship players short in 2018. 2019 would be the same. But by 2020, they will at best have a large senior class (again, assuming they do a good job of avoiding attrition) and three small classes below it (and presumably lower quality classes as probation keeps them from recruiting well), so that should be the best case scenario of when the bottom drops out for Ole Miss.

If this most recent class really was a penalty, then in reality in 2019, when this class will be juniors, they will essentially have a senior class backed up by three weak recruiting classes.

ETA: And of course, if people are allowed to transfer, then they will probably suck immediately starting in 2018, and continue to suck until at least 2024.

smootness
02-23-2017, 10:56 AM

10 under the limit for 4 years

smootness
02-23-2017, 10:57 AM
My understanding is that they essentially lose ten scholarships a year, so they can only sign 15 for four years. I'm don't know whether they actually have to get to 75 scholarships after one year. I assume that they don't because the NCAA will not want to be accused of causing somebody to lose their scholarship. That's where I ballparked 2019 and 2020 as the year sanctions really start to bite. They will have a full roster in 2017. In 2018, they will only be able to sign 15 people, but they might only lose 18, depending on how their classes are balanced. Presumably, their freshman class is the largest (because it will have new signees plus some redshirts, and the subsequent classes tend to be smaller as more attrition happens, although this ignores JUCO signees and obviously it doesn't always work out that way even ignoring JUCOs), so they may only end up a few scholarship players short in 2018. 2019 would be the same. But by 2020, they will at best have a large senior class (again, assuming they do a good job of avoiding attrition) and three small classes below it (and presumably lower quality classes as probation keeps them from recruiting well), so that should be the best case scenario of when the bottom drops out for Ole Miss.

If this most recent class really was a penalty, then in reality in 2019, when this class will be juniors, they will essentially have a senior class backed up by three weak recruiting classes.

I'm pretty sure it's a limit on the total number of scholarship players, not on new signees. So they would have to be at 75 or under for 4 years in a row. But obviously, yes, it does affect recruiting because you've got to trim the numbers somewhere.

ETA: After looking at USC, you may be correct. They lost just 30 scholarships over 3 years, yet they had just 44 scholarship players by the end of it, due to the reductions and transfers.