PDA

View Full Version : '16-17 men's sports looking like a year to forget

msstate7
02-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Football 6-7

Basketball 15-16 -- I'll give them the lsu game, but 1 and done in tourney.

Baseball -- I think we'll be around .500 with us ultimately falling under by a couple games. I think the sec is gonna absolutely shred us.

The egg bowl will ultimately be our only saving grace.... oh and of course, our women on the hardcourt.

GTHOM
02-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Im not ready to give up on baseball yet but tonight was one of the worst nights in recent memory for sure. I had a feeling the baseball team would lose idk why

msstate7
02-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Im not ready to give up on baseball yet but tonight was one of the worst nights in recent memory for sure. I had a feeling the baseball team would lose idk why

Too many question marks in the pitching staff, zero depth in the MIF, and our lineup is way too right handed. I think we'll struggle to hit vs good rhp

GTHOM
02-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Too many question marks in the pitching staff, zero depth in the MIF, and our lineup is way too right handed. I think we'll struggle to hit vs good rhp

I do have major questions about our pitching, and Canizarro will learn as he goes but we are talented and last year we lost to FAU to start the season so I aint ready to melt yet.

DeviousDawg
02-22-2017, 12:26 AM
Let's just call tonight's baseball game what it was, a fluke. Don't jump off the cliff yet

South Carolina lost to UNCG
Florida lost to Jacksonville.

Shit happens early in the season when teams are trying to find pitchers they can trust. I suspect we will lose a few more games to teams we shouldn't, but baseball is a long season. I think we will be a pretty decent team come conference play.

GTHOM
02-22-2017, 12:30 AM
Let's just call tonight's baseball game what it was, a fluke. Don't jump off the cliff yet

Shit happens early in the season when teams are trying to find pitchers they can trust. I suspect we will lose a few more games to teams we shouldn't, but baseball is a long season. I think we will be a pretty decent team come conference play.

Good post. We will be okay. If we screw this weekend up it may be time to worry but no reason to flip yet

Todd4State
02-22-2017, 12:33 AM

I agree with everything except the part about it being a fluke. We gave them the game tonight because we managed the bullpen poorly. I agree that won't happen in May when Barton is the closer.

DeviousDawg
02-22-2017, 12:38 AM
I agree with everything except the part about it being a fluke. We gave them the game tonight because we managed the bullpen poorly. I agree that won't happen in May when Barton is the closer.

It was a fluke. Blake smith is someone that usually throws strikes consistently, not tonight. Everything they were hitting found a hole.

Also, Barton will not be the closer, Riley Self will.

msstate7
02-22-2017, 12:40 AM
It was a fluke. Blake smith is someone that usually throws strikes consistently, not tonight. Everything they were hitting found a hole.

Also, Barton will not be the closer, Riley Self will.

Smith has had 2 shots vs 2 bad teams and looked like me trying to throw strikes standing on 2nd base

KentuckyDawg13
02-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Leeshouldveflanked
02-22-2017, 07:54 AM
To me the biggest question of the night is how do you end up with your 3rd string catcher playing 2nd with the game on the line? If nothing else you could have put Mcquary at 2nd if we didn't have any more infielders....

msstate7
02-22-2017, 08:06 AM
To me the biggest question of the night is how do you end up with your 3rd string catcher playing 2nd with the game on the line? If nothing else you could have put Mcquary at 2nd if we didn't have any more infielders....

If Alexander, gridley, and Stovall are our only MIF, then we need to give Skelton or Bragg time at 3b. You can't be that thin and start all 3 imo

PassInterference
02-22-2017, 08:47 AM
**** that we won the Egg Bowl in Oxford...bigly.

smootness
02-22-2017, 08:52 AM
It's certainly been a down year, but I think we've had worse years recently where we weren't that great and also had little hope going forward.

At least in all 3 sports, we pretty much knew this year would be a down year on the way to building something. All 3 sports should be considerably better next year.

msstate7
02-22-2017, 09:08 AM
It's certainly been a down year, but I think we've had worse years recently where we weren't that great and also had little hope going forward.

At least in all 3 sports, we pretty much knew this year would be a down year on the way to building something. All 3 sports should be considerably better next year.

Definitely agree with last part

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2017, 10:08 AM
We won the Egg Bowl. That makes up for a lot in football. I'm not satisfied with the season overall but winning that game sure does make life a whole lot easier here in Mississippi. Basketball is building. Obviously I would like more wins but for the first time in a long time I'm optimistic about the future of that program. I realize I'm in the minority of MSU fans but I'm not that interested in or fussed about baseball. It's nice when we win. I pretty much ignore it when we lose. I go to a game every now and then just for the heck of it.

AusTexDawg
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Maybe we should just stop scheduling teams from cities in Kentucky other than Lexington*** Last night gave me flashbacks to the game with Eastern last year. I had to give up caffeine after that one.