PDA

View Full Version : How to fish grass for bass

BeastMan
02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Thought this was a good article. Tons of tips from Greg Hackney

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1467510-how-to-fish-grass-for-bass

I do have one question for you bass dogs. How do you fish the swim and heavy cover jigs? Is it steady retrieve? Retrieve pop retrieve? Slow twitchy retrieve? I've never fished one and am curious what the "right" way to fish this bait?

Something like this:

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/watermark/rs.php?path=GHHAJ-BMC-1.jpg&nw=302

Natedogg33
02-21-2017, 01:12 PM
I love throwing a swim jig at Barnett. I like using a 3.8" Keitech swimbait as a trailer. I typically use a slow steady retrieve, much like you'd use with a swimbait. It seems like a lot of the bites occur when the jig gets to the edge of a pad, and they will smash it like they would a frog.

CrosscityDawg
02-21-2017, 01:28 PM
I like a slow retrieve and drop, slow retrieve and drop, especially in cover.

Barking 13
02-21-2017, 05:22 PM
I like Randy Howell's approach... steady-ish retrieve with small jerks.. I like the 3/8 and 1/4 oz versions. I use a few different kinds. SK, Booya, monsoor, and some custom stuff. Fish it sort of like a spinnerbait with small jerks, enough to flare the skirt. use a mini swimming fluke or ripple tail type trailers. 15lb line.

The heavier (up to 1-1/2oz) is for punching and flipping into holes... better use heavy braid for that. Personally I like to use pegged weights and flipping hooks with stuff like beavers and rodents, etc. for that instead of jigs.

ETA: BTW, I see you are looking at W2F. I've been with Todd, Terry, Jason and the gang since the beginning. Even done some stuff with them back in the day...

BeastMan
02-21-2017, 05:41 PM
I like Randy Howell's approach... steady-ish retrieve with small jerks.. I like the 3/8 and 1/4 oz versions. I use a few different kinds. SK, Booya, monsoor, and some custom stuff. Fish it sort of like a spinnerbait with small jerks, enough to flare the skirt. use a mini swimming fluke or ripple tail type trailers. 15lb line.

The heavier (up to 1-1/2oz) is for punching and flipping into holes... better use heavy braid for that. Personally I like to use pegged weights and flipping hooks with stuff like beavers and rodents, etc. for that instead of jigs.

ETA: BTW, I see you are looking at W2F. I've been with Todd, Terry, Jason and the gang since the beginning. Even done some stuff with them back in the day...

Ya I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible. With the arrival of the little guy a couple months ago, I'm seeing my ability for multi-day marsh trips greatly reduced. Being in the metro area, there are a ton of fishing opportunities I need to take advantage of like the Rez, calling panther, and the pearl. I even read up on stream fishing places like the strong river. My goal this spring through fall is to elevate my freshwater ability to slightly below average.

Through googling certain techniques, I've read a lot of W2F. Always good stuff

BB30
02-22-2017, 09:39 AM
I like a slow retrieve and drop, slow retrieve and drop, especially in cover.

I'm in this boat. But, I generally stick to just flip and pitching it. I haven't had a ton of success with a fairly steady retrieve. I will admit I don't bass fish all times of the year. Primarily during the spring and summer. I love a jig when they are spawning though. My patience kills me when it comes to fishing freshwater in the winter. I have a friend that just made it on tour and it blows my mind how patient he is and how he sticks with it.

Duckdog
02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
ribbit frog

BeastMan
02-23-2017, 01:38 PM
ribbit frog

I'm addicted to that bite but my hook up ratio sucks. I've been thinking about getting a frog trailer hook.

State82
02-24-2017, 04:18 PM

I agree. I've been in the boat with Howell when he was throwing a swim jig quite a bit. I like his retrieve as you described. I love a swim jig.

Duckdog
02-28-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm addicted to that bite but my hook up ratio sucks. I've been thinking about getting a frog trailer hook.
Use braded line and a 5/0 gamakatsu power braid wide gap hook. 7 foot heavy rod. Set the hook like you have a brahma bull size lair of nuts

BeastMan
02-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Use braded line and a 5/0 gamakatsu power braid wide gap hook. 7 foot heavy rod. Set the hook like you have a brahma bull size lair of nuts

I throw it on one of my spinning redfish setups because i keep that heavy braid and the rod as some backbone. The one I've thrown the most of is a Stanley top toad that has the 2 hooks. I was thinking of buying some of these:

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/swatches/lakefork-frogtail.jpg

Duckdog
03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
never seen one of those