PDA

View Full Version : Knee Jerk Baseball Reaction

Todd4State
02-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Very good start for our baseball team! I think Texas Tech will prove to be a very good team later in the year, so the win today was HUGE- especially with a depleted bullpen and coming off of an extra inning win. And it was a comeback win over Texas Tech at that- which I think is a very good trait to develop as a team. Going extras against Directional Illinois- who I do not think is a good team all due respect to them- was not good, but you also have to look at the context. We used them to get a look at some different pitchers in live action and some of them like Riley Self stepped up and some did not. And that's how it is this time of year until they allow NCAA teams to play exhibition games like every other sport besides football. Once we figure out who can do what- we would dominate a team like Western Illinois.

I think too many people have looked at our team and focused on what we lost and not enough on what we have. We have a few players that are All-American, draft pick possibly MLB player types and now that our fans have started to see some of them perform I think people are going to start to feel better. That said, it's a small sample size and as I have said before- we will know really where we are when we play Oregon in a couple of weeks. What we need to do in the present until then is focus on getting our guys even better and try to improve or build on what we did this weekend. We play Morehead State on Tuesday and we need to try to get a couple of guys into the game like Billingsley and Breaux. We also play Indiana State and Marist this weekend and we need to win all of those while at the same time continuing to develop and build.

I thought our bullpen would be better than last year- and if this weekend is any indication that looks to be a correct assessment. Actually, the more reliable guys struggled some in Rigby and Smith. I just think with Smith he's a clean inning guy and not a jam guy. IMO Jacob Barton should be the closer. He was really impressive on Friday night. And I know the question everyone is thinking is what about Riley Self? Well, I really think we need to strongly consider moving him to the rotation and while I believe that will eventually happen, we still need to wait until after Oregon before making that move to see who can do what. At the same time, I think I would move Ashcraft to the bullpen and see how he does with that. It's just tricky sometimes because how you prepare being a relief pitcher vs. as a starter is totally different and you really don't know how someone will respond until they're actually put into that situation. I think Spencer Price is going to be very good for us as well and he did a great job today. But the way I see it right now we have at a minimum four really reliable relief guys- Rigby, Smith, Barton, and Price. I think Billingsley will be in that equation as well and then at least one of the freshmen in Ashcraft and Self.

The starting pitching was hit or miss- and if we had our guys healthy this staff would be filthy. But it isn't and we're just pretty good. Pilkington started off well and then had the bad inning. He really needs to have a good start Friday. Cyr also started off pretty rough- but he settled down once he figured out the umpires strike zone. Between Plumlee and Ashcraft I thought Plumlee was the better of the two at the moment. Plumlee doesn't blow up the radar gun like Ashcraft but he throws strikes and has some nice movement. Ultimately, based off of this weekend I think by the time we play LSU in May it's going to be Pilkington, Self, and Cyr with Plumlee pitching midweek. That group isn't going to get quite as deep into games like last years starters- but we have enough relief pitching to overcome that.

It was good to see Parker Ford on the mound even though he didn't get anyone out. To me, it really takes two years to recover from Tommy John because the first year is the surgery, the PT/OT, and getting back on the mound. The second year is learning how to trust the arm and the surgery and getting your confidence back. That's something to keep in mind when our four guys come back next year.

We're also pretty deep at catcher. Lovelady, Marrero, and Skelton are very solid. I don't like DH'ing a catcher because if the starting catcher gets hurt it can kind of put you in a pickle potentially. Skelton has the least amount of experience but I think he's the most talented and he might start by the end of the year - we'll see. Starting a freshman at catcher is sort of like starting a freshman at quarterback- it's not ideal because you have things happen like Skelton getting called for CI this weekend.

Cole Gordon needs to give up pitching and focus on playing first base as I have said for the past THREE years now. See his pitching appearance and also his home run that landed in Tupelo as Exhibit A as to why I feel that way. My only guess is that he really wants to pitch and so the coaches give him that opportunity but I don't think that's his pro future. Cody Brown however has looked pretty solid at first base and he's probably going to start there most of the season anyway. He's the kind of guy that you like to have on your team. He plays hard and does whatever the team needs him to do. I think everyone saw this weekend why I think Stovall and LA are better than Gridley. Although to be fair it doesn't help Gridley when we're asking him to hit in the 3 hole. I can not figure that one out. Hunter played well, but his base running mistake killed any chance we had of coming back Friday night. He wasn't the only one that had trouble with that on our team though- and we need to clean that up before SEC play. Aggressive does not mean running through the third base coaches stop sign- and if you do you better score. Harrison Bragg probably should be redshirted- unfortunately he had an AB against Texas Tech so nevermind. We need to find a JUCO third baseman- one that can actually play defense.

Our OF looks very good. Brant Blaylock and Tanner Poole both have five tool potential. We'll see if they can put it all together and go from potential five tool guys to actual five tool guys but I thought both had great weekends. I liked the OF combination of Poole, Mangum, and Blaylock. LOTS of speed. Mangum looks like he has picked up about where he left off of last year. Brent Rooker's defense is going to sink him in the draft. I've heard he doesn't look good at first base either. He also had a bad strikeout on a 3-2 count looking to end a rally. We can't have that from an upperclass player. Good to see him come back from that and get the game winning hit in game one. He said in an interview that he is going to be "looking for his pitch more" and I hope that doesn't translate into him guessing more. I don't know why anyone would change much with him after last year. It does look like his batting stance might be a little bit different this year- like his hands are a little lower or something. Maybe it's just me.

I thought the coaching this weekend was overall pretty good. Obviously I and pretty much everyone else disagree with hitting Gridley third. And honestly, I would probably disagree with it if Gridley was hitting .600 right now. I think it hurts Rooker some too. I thought the bullpen management was MUCH better than last year. Lest we forget the circus that was FAU this time last year. As I said we still have some things to clean up on the base paths and a few fundamental things like popping up a bunt or two and an occasional defensive miscue. It was good to see us steal bases more than I think we would have last year to balance out the bunting component and totally utilize our speed. I think we'll see even more of that going forward because we were behind a lot this weekend and that limits the running game some. So I think the thing with Cannizaro now is to see how he does correcting those things going forward. Anytime we get a win over a top 15 team- it's a great job of coaching and some of the National writers were taking note on Twitter. I think we made a little bit of a positive statement this weekend and in all honesty had a chance to take all four games had it not been for one bad inning and a base running mistake. It's a long season- but I think we will get better and we will end up being pretty good and probably at least in a regional if not more. Also great to see John Cohen supporting Cannizaro on Twitter as well. Very different from our last coaching change. Now when our fans hear Cohen cussing it will be in the seat next to them and they won't have to lean into the dugout to hear it.

Hail State my friends!

PS- I LOVE how we got into that Texas Tech pitcher's head late in the game. Memo to TT- you don't throw at people when you're down two runs and sure don't hit the coldest hitter on the team. Great job by our team of handling it by running at will on that douchebag which I'm sure just made him even more pissed off. Stuff like that is how team's develop swagger.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2017, 11:29 PM
It's easy for me to say, but I'm turning over catcher to Skelton.

Canny had a poor lineup for game 1 but I'm glad he adjusted for game 4.

We just don't have a clear no 3 hitter so I don't have a huge problem with the order right now.

Barton and Self were the big bright spots for me.

Good post Todd.

maroonmania
02-20-2017, 12:20 AM
It ended up being a successful weekend. I think most of us would have taken 3-1 from the outset. I do think RH pitching we should play Gordon or Brown at 1st and DH the other. Marrero being a DH just doesn't make a lot of sense. Not only is he not producing (he only hit .230 last year) but as you say you don't want to have one of your backup catchers tied up in the DH spot. For LH pitching I would DH Rooker and play both Blaylock and Poole in the OF. Mangum, Blaylock and Poole would give you a terrific defensive OF.

Activated Alpha
02-20-2017, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry, but until I see better games from Marrero I don't want him playing down the season stretch. At the end of last season he was a sure out for most teams and it seems like that trend has continued. If he can perform during our midweek games then maybe he can have a longer leash.

preachermatt83
02-20-2017, 01:33 AM
Great post Todd

Ari Gold
02-20-2017, 08:40 AM
It's four games.. and 3-1 is very good.
Nate Lowe last year after 8 games was hitting about .230. And now one knew who Jake Mangum was. So everyone relax on some guys
After or around the trip to Eugene the sec weekend lineup will start to take form.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2017, 08:45 AM
My thoughts:

I was wrong about Blaylock. I knew he had potential, I just thought he would take a few years to develop. Nope, kid is ready.

Poole has to keep playing

Skelton is our catcher. Period.

Cody Brown has got to be in the lineup. He's a gamer.

Stovall is the guy you hate if he's not on your team. We have several of those, and I love it.

We went 3-1 and Rooker and Gridley didn't have huge weekends. That's big bc they will turn it on.

I didn't think I'd leave the weekend feeling really good about so many pitchers, but I do. Pilk, Plumlee, Ashcraft, Cyr, Self, Barton, Price, Rigby, and I'm sure I'm missing some...all looked dependable for this season. That's big

louisvilledawg
02-20-2017, 08:55 AM
So where are we on Marrero? I got to watch a few innings over the weekend, but didn't he go 0-10 this weekend? I'm just not a huge fan of him. I thought Skelton looked good what little I saw of him.

msstate7
02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
My thoughts:

I was wrong about Blaylock. I knew he had potential, I just thought he would take a few years to develop. Nope, kid is ready.

Poole has to keep playing

Skelton is our catcher. Period.

Cody Brown has got to be in the lineup. He's a gamer.

Stovall is the guy you hate if he's not on your team. We have several of those, and I love it.

We went 3-1 and Rooker and Gridley didn't have huge weekends. That's big bc they will turn it on.

I didn't think I'd leave the weekend feeling really good about so many pitchers, but I do. Pilk, Plumlee, Ashcraft, Cyr, Self, Barton, Price, Rigby, and I'm sure I'm missing some...all looked dependable for this season. That's big

I thought rooker had a good weekend...

.286 avg
.444 obp
3 runs
3 RBI (game winner)

CadaverDawg
02-20-2017, 09:09 AM
I thought rooker had a good weekend...

.286 avg
.444 obp
3 runs
3 RBI (game winner)

Didn't say he didn't have a decent weekend. I said "HUGE". Because he's capable of .400 + weekends with a bomb or two.

msstate7
02-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Didn't say he didn't have a decent weekend. I said "HUGE". Because he's capable of .400 + weekends with a bomb or two.
Yeah, he's certainly capable. I do wonder how many shots he'll get to hurt teams though... we need someone behind him to put fear in teams. I suspect rooker will have more than a few walks this year

DeviousDawg
02-20-2017, 09:46 AM
So where are we on Marrero? I got to watch a few innings over the weekend, but didn't he go 0-10 this weekend? I'm just not a huge fan of him. I thought Skelton looked good what little I saw of him.

I've been waiting for Elih's bat to come alive for more than a year now. I like that he can hit from both sides, and I think he has a good swing, he just hasn't put it together yet. Maybe he will figure it out this year. I noticed he cut his purple hair off this weekend, so maybe that's a good start.

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Great post - Somebody said this last year when Cody Brown hit the grandslam against Oregon, "the team grew a set"

I think coming back from 0-4 in the 1st inning and holding TT for 8-innings to a pair of hits, is the equivalent of a clutch grand-slam for this pitching staff. Same for Barton in game-1. The bullpen is better than last year. Riley even looks like Jonathan Holder and he has a 12-6 that reminds me of JH.

wmccgc
02-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Henderson looking good as a pitching coach. Liked what I saw for the most part. Threw strikes in tough situations. That was a good-hitting TT lineup we dominated after the first lining. Cyr and Self very impressive. For Cyr to get hit that hard in the first inning and then shut them down showed a lot about him, and I think probably tells us something about Henderson as well. The whole staff just looked like it had an edge that has been missing. Saw some fearlessness. Small sample, I know, but liked what I saw in the grown-man dept.

louisvilledawg
02-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Henderson looking good as a pitching coach. Liked what I saw for the most part. Threw strikes in tough situations. That was a good-hitting TT lineup we dominated after the first lining. Cyr and Self very impressive. For Cyr to get hit that hard in the first inning and then shut them down showed a lot about him, and I think probably tells us something about Henderson as well. The whole staff just looked like it had an edge that has been missing. Saw some fearlessness. Small sample, I know, but liked what I saw in the grown-man dept.

Didn't we walk 8 in the first game?

smootness
02-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Self looks like a stud in the making. Poole and Blaylock looked very good. Ashcraft has the stuff, just needs to work on command. Skelton looks like he belongs. Plumlee was solid, and Barton looked great. Overall, I really like what we saw from the newcomers. I'm especially excited about Poole and Blaylock.

Tbonewannabe
02-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Rooker needs to DH or figure out 1st base. Having Poole, Blaylock, and Mangum in the outfield might be the best defensive outfield in baseball.

smootness
02-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Rooker needs to DH or figure out 1st base. Having Poole, Blaylock, and Mangum in the outfield might be the best defensive outfield in baseball.

Yeah, I think that's our best bet going forward. And you might as well just DH Rooker. The other DH options are Brown, Bragg, and Gordon, and they can all play 1B.

SandlotDawg
02-20-2017, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry, but until I see better games from Marrero I don't want him playing down the season stretch. At the end of last season he was a sure out for most teams and it seems like that trend has continued. If he can perform during our midweek games then maybe he can have a longer leash.

While I agree that I want to see him do better in games, the kid has a lot of talent. Cohen said last year before the season that he was one of the top 3 hitters on the team. Eventually talent wins out, and I believe he'll be a great player for us soon.

WSOPdawg
02-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Definitely agree, but I would have like to have seen how Denver McCrary handled a 2nd inning as opposed to just a single 3-up, 3-down inning.

shoeless joe
02-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Definitely agree, but I would have like to have seen how Denver McCrary handled a 2nd inning as opposed to just a single 3-up, 3-down inning.

Sometimes young guys need to have a positive to look back on to build up that confidence. One great inning does just that. All the pitchers will have opportunities to stretch it out at we near SEC play.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2017, 02:29 PM
I don't know what to do with Gordon & Bragg. Obviously both are capable of hitting bombs, but when they don't it's a K...and I hate playing a guy with a huge K rate, just bc he's big and MIGHT hit a bomb. Especially when you sacrifice either Brown, Blaylock, or Poole when Gordon or Bragg plays. I'm more of a play the smaller guy that can do more in terms of defense, contact, speed, etc AND the occasional power, over the guy that will either hit a bomb or strike out. But that's just me.

Definitely one of the tougher decisions Canny will be making going forward imo. Would love to get others' thoughts and opinions on the Gordon/Bragg vs Blaylock/Poole/Brown decision....bc you cannot play Gordon or Bragg without losing one of Brown/Blaylock/Poole.

Political Hack
02-20-2017, 02:54 PM
If we wouldn't have left so many pitches over the middle of the plate Friday we wouldve been 4-0 with a sweep over a top 15 team. And I agree, TT is going to be good all year long. That's a great RPI win for us.

bulldogcountry1
02-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Like others said, it's just 4 games, so there's not much need in trying to read too much into things. For example, Gridley had a tough weekend, and I feel like he will end up well over .300. I guess I expected better hitting overall, but the bullpen really makes me feel good about things going forward.

The biggest things we need to work on are correctable things, mainly base running. It seemed like we were behind in the count way too much and ended up striking out too much. I know AZ is teaching aggressiveness, but he also preaches putting the ball in play with 2 strikes and not striking out. We'll have to develop more discipline and be more under control with 2 strikes.

Some things were painfully obvious to me, though. First off, Marrero doesn't deserve to play. He just can't hit. It's not like he's having tough luck ABs where he just can't find a hole. He has no pop in his bat, and he mostly just hits lazy, soft outs. He didn't look great behind the plate, either. Secondly, Bragg isn't ready. When he PH the other night, he never took a practice swing. He came out of the dugout and walked straight to the batter's box. Finally, Gordon didn't really look comfortable at first and had some really ugly ABs. He probably shouldn't bat against lefties.

msstate7
02-21-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't know what to do with Gordon & Bragg. Obviously both are capable of hitting bombs, but when they don't it's a K...and I hate playing a guy with a huge K rate, just bc he's big and MIGHT hit a bomb. Especially when you sacrifice either Brown, Blaylock, or Poole when Gordon or Bragg plays. I'm more of a play the smaller guy that can do more in terms of defense, contact, speed, etc AND the occasional power, over the guy that will either hit a bomb or strike out. But that's just me.

Definitely one of the tougher decisions Canny will be making going forward imo. Would love to get others' thoughts and opinions on the Gordon/Bragg vs Blaylock/Poole/Brown decision....bc you cannot play Gordon or Bragg without losing one of Brown/Blaylock/Poole.

I don't like a lineup full of high k guys, but I do like potential power. Here's a list of MLB guys that were top 10 in strike outs last year...

Chris Davis -- 38 hr
Chris carter -- 41 hr
Justin upton -- 31 hr
Mike napoli -- 34 hr
George springer -- 29 hr
Freddie freeman -- 34 hr
Mark trumbo -- 47 hr

There's some really good players on that list. Obviously, I'm not saying Bragg or Gordon are on that level, but I do like a guy in the lineup that can change a game with 1 swing

maroonmania
02-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Like others said, it's just 4 games, so there's not much need in trying to read too much into things. For example, Gridley had a tough weekend, and I feel like he will end up well over .300. I guess I expected better hitting overall, but the bullpen really makes me feel good about things going forward.

The biggest things we need to work on are correctable things, mainly base running. It seemed like we were behind in the count way too much and ended up striking out too much. I know AZ is teaching aggressiveness, but he also preaches putting the ball in play with 2 strikes and not striking out. We'll have to develop more discipline and be more under control with 2 strikes.

Some things were painfully obvious to me, though. First off, Marrero doesn't deserve to play. He just can't hit. It's not like he's having tough luck ABs where he just can't find a hole. He has no pop in his bat, and he mostly just hits lazy, soft outs. He didn't look great behind the plate, either. Secondly, Bragg isn't ready. When he PH the other night, he never took a practice swing. He came out of the dugout and walked straight to the batter's box. Finally, Gordon didn't really look comfortable at first and had some really ugly ABs. He probably shouldn't bat against lefties.

My 3 areas of disappointments for the weekend (among a lot of good things) were strikeouts, bad baserunning and giving away walks. Canny really emphasizing not striking out but we still did that plenty over the weekend. Baserunning at times went well past aggressive into the stupid category during the 4 games. And walks were primarily just a problem in the early Sunday game as it was very frustrating to see us blow a 4 run lead while only giving up one single in the process. Everything else came off walks and an error. It would have been sickening to have lost that game without the other team really having done much of anything to earn the comeback.

HoopsDawg
02-21-2017, 11:26 AM

I would definitely go with Poole-Mangum-Blaylock in the OF. Those guys can play great defense, and they have a lot of upside at the plate. So that's part of it. Rooker is my DH. So it comes down to 1B. I think you have to go with Cody at this point especially against Righties. I would consider Bragg at 1B against Lefties if he can show something in these upcoming mid-week games. I guess that leaves Gordon as the odd man out. Maybe he can pinch hit and play on occasion vs righties or predominate fastball pitchers.

The Federalist Engineer
02-21-2017, 11:54 AM
I don't like a lineup full of high k guys, but I do like potential power. Here's a list of MLB guys that were top 10 in strike outs last year...

Chris Davis -- 38 hr
Chris carter -- 41 hr
Justin upton -- 31 hr
Mike napoli -- 34 hr
George springer -- 29 hr
Freddie freeman -- 34 hr
Mark trumbo -- 47 hr

There's some really good players on that list. Obviously, I'm not saying Bragg or Gordon are on that level, but I do like a guy in the lineup that can change a game with 1 swing

High K is forgivable for true game-changing power, but you can't be a Mendoza hitter at the same time. Further, you better have legit power like win-me games in Gainesville, Nashville, Baton Rouge, or a Super Regional .... not just Alcorn State power.

msstate7
02-21-2017, 12:29 PM
High K is forgivable for true game-changing power, but you can't be a Mendoza hitter at the same time. Further, you better have legit power like win-me games in Gainesville, Nashville, Baton Rouge, or a Super Regional .... not just Alcorn State power.

Gordon got a game-winning hit at vandy last year and an RBI triple vs auburn. In summer ball (NE collegiate) hit 10 HRs. Not sure about fall and spring.

Bragg just looks like a slugger, but I have no idea the quality of his juco league. Rawlings AA though so he must have some talent

The Federalist Engineer
02-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Gordon got a game-winning hit at vandy last year and an RBI triple vs auburn. In summer ball (NE collegiate) hit 10 HRs. Not sure about fall and spring.

Bragg just looks like a slugger, but I have no idea the quality of his juco league. Rawlings AA though so he must have some talent

We all like Gordon's moxy and would be happy to see him succeed. He has all year to get better before lots of JUCO and HS 1st-Base talent arrives in Starkville next season. Nate Lowe left big shoes to fill.