PDA

View Full Version : Clemson's New Football Facility

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2017, 09:32 AM
This is really interesting and should ignite some good discussion

http://gridironnow.com/touring-clemsons-new-55-million-football-ops-building-posh-purpose/

Of note: I found the page on their recruiting model interesting. Sounds familiar

CadaverDawg
02-19-2017, 09:50 AM
I've been saying for 3 years that Dabo & Clemson are a more well oiled, more untouchable, Ole Miss. They hide behind faith and winning at life, to help cover all the cheating. People should see right through it.

msstate7
02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
I've been saying for 3 years that Dabo & Clemson are a more well oiled, more untouchable, Ole Miss. They hide behind faith and winning at life, to help cover all the cheating. People should see right through it.

I know everyone cheats, but I wish it wasn't like that but it is. Hell, cheating is worth it. Look at freeze... he was hired to cheat and he did. He's about to get hammered by the NCAA, but he'll have made more money than 95% of the people living in this state. If he was a stickler for the rules, he probably never gets the OM job and isn't a millionaire

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Agree to a certain extent, but Clemson's roster is much more condensed geographically than OM's. If you look at the map of where their players are from, it's from generally a smaller area that's more similar to us than OM. Now... Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Raleigh Durham area are included in Clemson local recruiting area, but still it's not like they are going TX, Illinois, etc and landing the top players that are outside their local recruiting area. That's what OM was doing.

I mean OM went into Allen High School, the most recruited school in America, and grabbed the number 1 LT in the country. Never has there been a more obvious cheating scenario.

BrunswickDawg
02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, seeing has how they call their booster club IPTAY - I Pay Ten (10%) A Year. Yes, their fans literally tithe to the school. I thought this was obvious to everyone. Been doing it since the 1930s.

EngDawg
02-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Clemson is much more of a cult than OM. Their fanbase is more similar to Auburn or A&M in its devotion to the school.

HSVDawg
02-19-2017, 10:54 AM

They cheat just as much as anyone else, but they are far from a dirty program. Just one Top 10 class in 5 years and most of the others just barely slipping into the Top 15. They didn't win a NC because of excessive cheating on the recruiting trail.

Tripp McNeely
02-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Well, seeing has how they call their booster club IPTAY - I Pay Ten (10%) A Year. Yes, their fans literally tithe to the school. I thought this was obvious to everyone. Been doing it since the 1930s.

"Ten" used to be $10 not 10%. A law school roommate of mine was a Clemson grad. I think prices has risen slightly since then, but it's a pretty genious idea! All you had to pay to be a booster was $10. That way, you assure literally almost every Grad would be a booster...because who can't afford $10 a year! Once they get you in, apparently that's when they start hammering you for more, but at the very least, you have almost every undergrad locked in for life

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2017, 11:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/xVTv8iJ.jpg

HSVDawg
02-19-2017, 11:24 AM

I think its a good model, and one thing Clemson doesn't have is an identity crisis. Their athletic budget is about the same as ours. It's not a big school with hundreds of thousands of living alumni, and there is probably a lot more money in that state tied to USC than to Clemson. If you look at their new facility, they got a whole lot for $55 million (way less than the Oregon's and Alabama's spent on their new buildings recently) mainly because they didn't blow it on expensive eye candy like platinum coated everything in the locker room. They spent it on functional items like the outdoor sports rec areas and the grilling areas. They have been smarter with their recruiting and smarter with their spending than a lot of programs with way more resources. That is why they are where they are now.

MSU could certainly stand to learn a thing or two from their methods, although I think we've been pretty smart on the financial side as well. Mainly, we need to shore up our recruiting model to be more structured and to cast just a little bit wider net.

msbulldog
02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Hell, they need a interior decorator and a good architect, what I saw in those slides was pretty ugly.

Cooterpoot
02-19-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't see the problem. We should strive to be better instead of throwing shade at everybody. How about our alumni pony up the type money theirs does.

msbulldog
02-19-2017, 11:54 AM
I don't see the problem. We should strive to be better instead of throwing shade at everybody. How about our alumni pony up the type money theirs does.

Excuse me, have you seen our facilities?

tireddawg
02-19-2017, 12:10 PM
My wife is from Clemson & I've been there many times tailgating & to games. Their fan base is nothing like OM. They aren't snooty with their noses stuck up in the air with a better than everyone else attitude. Sure every fan base has those type fans but for the most part they're great folks. I always enjoy my time there.

They have a great model & their fans have bought in, every1 pulling in the same direction. Dabo is just the perfect fit for them. They are in absolutely no way cheating at the level that OM is. Its not even close. Their recruiting is about a 300 mile radius & there just happens to be a lot of talent in that area. They do recruit New Jersey & Florida, but Dabo is like Mullen at recognizing talent & developing them.

SDDawg
02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Their may be some cheating at Clemson, but Dabo is the "real deal" of what Freeze purports to be. Not saying he's squeaky clean, just that he is a more authentic guy that connects to the kids. I like what Clemson is doing and think it's good for college football. What Bama is doing will run out (for a while) after Saban leaves the building (hopefully soon).

I seen it dawg
02-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Clemson and Dabo are as far away from the shitbirds and their beaver leader as a program can be.

Lance Harbor
02-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Things changed for Clemson when with the confluence of two things. Spurrier quit recruiting at USCe like he was. And Clemson was shut out of Georgia completely about 4-5 years ago. Dabo made some clutch hires with Georgia ties and then started raking them in starting with Deshaun Watson, who was slow played by Richt at UGA. They've pulled players on the roster from Massachusetts to Brooklyn to Hawaii as well. This years class only had 2-3 from SC. I have no idea how there "network" works, but they put on a good show for recruits and have lots of Alumni in Florida which helps with recruiting there. Also, Clemson makes Starkville look like a booming metropolis.

defiantdog
02-19-2017, 03:33 PM

I know Dabo personally, and he's nothing like Freeze. He's truly a good person and always offers to help with charities in Birmingham.

TUSK
02-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Hell, they need a interior decorator and a good architect, what I saw in those slides was pretty ugly.

I concur, buddy... I did like the Outdoor Player's Village, though...

Bothrops
02-19-2017, 05:58 PM
I liked the cooking area and grills, but ****, I'm not going to work my phone that hard to see someone else's pics.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2017, 07:32 PM
I'm just curious if girls are allowed in the place to hang out?

I totally get the whole "building culture" thing associated with hanging out together, but what college males are going to want to hang around other dudes all the time?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
02-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Was thinking the same thing...wondered if the girlfriends are allowed to attend movie night? Watching movies with only guys would get old after the 1st one.