PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if this has been covered but why did we burn Shumpert?

Original48
09-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Ladarius..JRob...Milton...Griffin. Is Shumpert going to get enough touches to warrant burning his redshirt?So...I'm guessing we are gonna play the heck out of him from here on? I was definitely thinking redshirt and then have four years of a Shumpert/Aeris Williams backfield.

hacker
09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Because he's good.

msstate7
09-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Because he's good.

And apparently our coaches think he's better than some or all of our other rb's

HereComesTheSpiral
09-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Says to me that Dan sees this as a must win season, especially after the end of last year and extending into the first game

Quaoarsking
09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
There's no point in redshirting someone who's unlikely to stick around for 5 years anyway, and even if it turns out after 2016 that he probably would've returned, Mississippi will always produce enough SEC-caliber RBs for us to be fine at that position. If he can help us win now, play him.

ckDOG
09-08-2013, 06:11 PM
And apparently our coaches think he's better than some or all of our other rb's

He was our best RB yesterday. I like his power running. Our OL isn't opening up running lanes so we might as well play the guy that creates his own. Maybe this is a sign that Mullen plans on using Perk in the slot and on third down? Regardless, Shumpert didn't look like a true frosh yesterday. I know that much...

msstate7
09-08-2013, 06:21 PM
He was our best RB yesterday. I like his power running. Our OL isn't opening up running lanes so we might as well play the guy that creates his own. Maybe this is a sign that Mullen plans on using Perk in the slot and on third down? Regardless, Shumpert didn't look like a true frosh yesterday. I know that much...

In hoping Mullen has seen the light also. We've been using LP as a battering ram instead of the receiving threat and outside runner he is. Shump is the battering ram that LP just isn't

mic
09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
There's no point in redshirting someone who's unlikely to stick around for 5 years anyway, and even if it turns out after 2016 that he probably would've returned, Mississippi will always produce enough SEC-caliber RBs for us to be fine at that position. If he can help us win now, play him.

This ^^^...And If he is ready to play no need to redshirt him.. Like I said back before the OSU game I expected us to use some 2 back sets which we did yesterday. I hope we continue to run that .. Esp when Dak is at QB.. Gives us so many different options.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Shump is going to be a good player- but he's not a better RB than JRob or Perkins right now. Milton and Griff? Probably

msstate7
09-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Shump is going to be a good player- but he's not a better RB than JRob or Perkins right now. Milton and Griff? Probably

If we're gonna keep running LP between the tackles, I disagree. If we use LP like the 3rd down scat back he is then I agree. Using LP correctly, he would be one of the most dangerous players in the sec

FlabLoser
09-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Things you don't see are always a big factor - like blocking on passing downs, running the right routes, etc.

archdog
09-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Things you don't see are always a big factor - like blocking on passing downs, running the right routes, etc.

1. This was probably settled during recruiting season.
2. If he is ready to play, then why redshirt him. MS produces running backs and we already have Aeris coming in.
3. Lets us rotate more guys in different situations. Milton and Shump / LDP and Griffin / Jrb and LDP. Gives us tons of options for 2 rb sets.
4. We have to play freshmen to maintain our numbers game. We redshirted players so much the last couple of years it has almost turned into a problem.
5. One of the smaller factors is how much attention UM has gotten for playing freshmen. Chris has done more than Rkardashian, yet I haven't heard his name mentioned. Mullen needs to get out there and start talking about the #2 overall recruit in the nation. Big time talent wants to play as a freshman, we have to show recruits they can make it to the field.

messageboardsuperhero
09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
If he can help us win this year, then you play him. He's one of the best runners we have with the ball in his hands.

We always have good RBs, so our future at this position doesn't concern me.

Goat Holder
09-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Because he might start by the end of the year

Original48
09-08-2013, 08:50 PM
If he can help us win this year, then you play him. He's one of the best runners we have with the ball in his hands.
Then why the hell didn't he play against Okla St.??? If he's one of our better players..or as Goat said 'might be starting by the end of the year'...or as missst7 said 'the coaches think he's better than some or all of our rb's'...why in the holy hell did he not get meaningful carries against OSU? This is what makes me nervous about stubbornly sticking with Tyler rather than at least going two QB. Are we playing players who can play or out of loyalty? From what I'm reading above, Shumpert could be the best back on the team..and we saved him for Alcorn. Awesome.

hells bells
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
C34, Shumpert is a Beast, and not in street cloths. Makes difference.

RougeDawg
09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Possibly to break him in during a game the he has a chance to be most successful. Confidence is big for young players. Alcorn was perfect situation to get him eased into the college game, get him a lot of touches, and build his confidence .

The worst thing we could have done is force him into his first action against a tough SEC defense.

Original48
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Possibly to break him in during a game the he has a chance to be most successful. Confidence is big for young players. Alcorn was perfect situation to get him eased into the college game, get him a lot of touches, and build his confidence .

The worst thing we could have done is force him into his first action against a tough SEC defense.
Completely agree ONLY IF he plays meaningful minutes vs Auburn. Otherwise this is an unbelievably stupid move.

fishwater99
09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Completely agree ONLY IF he plays meaningful minutes vs Auburn. Otherwise this is an unbelievably stupid move.

Well, I don't think Dan is that smart of a coach. So I doubt we see Shumpert in any meaningful games this year...

RougeDawg
09-09-2013, 10:04 AM

If Dan doesn't get the ball in Shump's hands 8-10 times this Saturday, it will further cement, in my mind, his inability to see who needs to be on the field, and put our team in the best chance to win. After Saturday there's nothing Dan can say to justify Shump not playing any game he's healthy enough to play. No excuses at all.

ckDOG
09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Something about Shumpert seems like he has "it". And yes, I'm fully aware that Alcorn sucks, but we had other backs playing against the same defense. He didn't look like the true freshman of that bunch. I love how he creates his own yardage and doesn't need as much help from an OL that's not dominating.

I'd love to see Perkins on 3rd downs and in the slot with JRob/Shump getting a lot of the carries.

SignalToNoise
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
1. This was probably settled during recruiting season.
2. If he is ready to play, then why redshirt him. MS produces running backs and we already have Aeris coming in.
3. Lets us rotate more guys in different situations. Milton and Shump / LDP and Griffin / Jrb and LDP. Gives us tons of options for 2 rb sets.
4. We have to play freshmen to maintain our numbers game. We redshirted players so much the last couple of years it has almost turned into a problem.
5. One of the smaller factors is how much attention UM has gotten for playing freshmen. Chris has done more than Rkardashian, yet I haven't heard his name mentioned. Mullen needs to get out there and start talking about the #2 overall recruit in the nation. Big time talent wants to play as a freshman, we have to show recruits they can make it to the field.

These are all great points, and along the same lines as what I've been thinking.

At some point Mullen has got to play freshmen. Who the hell wants to come to MSU where you don't get any snaps until garbage time against Alabama after waiting 2 years for your turn? If you're ready to play, then play. I'm willing to bet that is being used against us on the recruiting trail. And let me save some of you the work of replying to me-- No, I'm not saying all freshman are ready this early. But if you have one that is ready, pla him. Show potential recruits that there is a possibility to play right away.

mparkerfd20
09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Well, I don't think Dan is that smart of a coach. So I doubt we see Shumpert in any meaningful games this year...

I've come to this same conclusion, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it's that he's not that smart or if it's moreso ego. Either way, he still looks like an idiot.

smootness
09-09-2013, 10:40 AM

The stupid move would be not playing him. But that wouldn't make burning the redshirt a stupid move. Shumpert will be an NFL RB some day...he's not sticking around for 5 years no matter what.

fishwater99
09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
If Dan doesn't get the ball in Shump's hands 8-10 times this Saturday, it will further cement, in my mind, his inability to see who needs to be on the field, and put our team in the best chance to win. After Saturday there's nothing Dan can say to justify Shump not playing any game he's healthy enough to play. No excuses at all.

We will find out Saturday. He needs 10-15 touches vs Auburn...

Johnson85
09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
What did Shumpert do that has people all excited?

Couldn't watch the game, but just looking at running, it makes me extremely worried about our ability to run the ball. I would have thought we'd have all of our running backs well above 5 ypc against a SWAC team. If people are excited about Shumpert rolling up 4.5 ypc against Alcorn, I'm guessing that means he was basically having to create his own yards and that our O-line couldn't even open up running lanes against a SWAC team. Was it that bad?

RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg.
Ashton Shumpert 22 99 1 98 2 14 4.5
Nick Griffin 13 59 6 53 1 10 4.1
Jameon Lewis 1 44 0 44 0 44 44.0
B.Holloway 4 29 1 28 0 15 7.0
Damian Williams 5 29 4 25 0 13 5.0
Dak Prescott 4 22 2 20 1 11 5.0
Josh Robinson 3 6 0 6 0 3 2.0
Derrick Milton 2 3 0 3 1 3 1.5
Totals... 54 291 14 277 5 44 5.1

missouridawg
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Because of what he saw in aeries Williams the night before.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Couldn't watch the game, but just looking at running, it makes me extremely worried about our ability to run the ball. I would have thought we'd have all of our running backs well above 5 ypc against a SWAC team. If people are excited about Shumpert rolling up 4.5 ypc against Alcorn, I'm guessing that means he was basically having to create his own yards and that our O-line couldn't even open up running lanes against a SWAC team. Was it that bad?

Because he has the ability to fall forward, move the chains, and keep our offense out of 3rd and longs against elite competition. Not saying he is there year, but his toolset gives us a future workhorse that can keep our offense on schedule.

You want our 3rd down conversion rate to go up? Shumpert and Dak in the backfield will make a ton of 3rd and 2s and the defense won't know who will get the ball.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Because of what he saw in aeries Williams the night before.

This as well. Recruiting running backs just isn't our problem.

cheewgumm
09-09-2013, 01:54 PM
. I would not play him at this point over Perkins or Robinson and the fact is that now since redshirt is gone he is probably taking robinsons carries which I don't think is a plus.

He looked pretty good but you gotta figure Alcorn can't tackle very well. And I'm not sure how fast he is. I
Think he is going to be good, I just hate he is going to take robinsons carries.

Johnson85
09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Because he has the ability to fall forward, move the chains, and keep our offense out of 3rd and longs against elite competition. Not saying he is there year, but his toolset gives us a future workhorse that can keep our offense on schedule.

You want our 3rd down conversion rate to go up? Shumpert and Dak in the backfield will make a ton of 3rd and 2s and the defense won't know who will get the ball.

Did he look that much better than Robinson? Robinson has looked good to me. I'm not sure what he has to do to get carries, but it seems like anything Shump can do that's worth taking carries away from Robinson is good enough to take carries away from Perkins too.

fishwater99
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I am wondering why Robinson only got 3 carries Saturday.

Barking 13
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM
he burnt all of them so they could get "game film" on them...like he can't see with his own eyes...

smootness
09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure what he has to do to get carries, but it seems like anything Shump can do that's worth taking carries away from Robinson is good enough to take carries away from Perkins too.

Well, there's no doubt that Robinson should be getting between-the-tackles carries before Perkins does. But Robinson may not be as good in other areas of the game, I don't know. Either way, yes, Robinson should be getting more carries...but so should Shumpert. Perkins' overall carries should go down so that his impact on the game can be greater in other ways.

justinrsutton
09-09-2013, 06:59 PM
He had two one-yard TD carries. If you take those out, he is right at the 5 YPC mark.