PDA

View Full Version : College basketball used to be great

msstate7
02-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Watching Fab 5 30 for 30 replay. College basketball has gone to crap from the time period of the Fab 5.

BeardoMSU
02-17-2017, 11:54 PM
That's an awesome episode, 7. One of my favs, and definitely makes me miss old school basketball (The Bill Laimbeer one was great, too).

Dawg61
02-18-2017, 11:52 AM
I blame the NBA draft taking 40 of the best non-seniors every year for the last twenty years and these new horrible foul rules.

WSOPdawg
02-18-2017, 12:21 PM
That's an awesome episode, 7. One of my favs, and definitely makes me miss old school basketball (The Bill Laimbeer one was great, too).

Yep, I love watching the PhiSlammaJam and, Valvano & NC State's run.

smootness
02-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Early entrants to the NBA has definitely hurt the college product, but it's honestly been since the 70s-80s that the best players in college also turned into the best players in the NBA. Early entry has been happening since the early 90s in pretty big waves.

I loved the early 2000s when guys were going straight from HS. No, you weren't watching the most talented basketball players in the world, but it was a better product. They either need to make it two years before you leave, or just let them go straight out of HS again. The fact that many of the best players in college basketball are freshmen every year, then there's a complete turnover each year is killing the product. Guys have no time to build up any kind of name recognition across the country, and there's no way to know from year to year what the best teams will be or what they'll look like.

The new rule focuses are certainly not helping the product, but I think the one-year rule has actually hurt college basketball. It's helped the NBA some, but it's just hard to get into college basketball anymore. Us being terrible for the last several years is a big part of that, but I used to get really into it nationally, and I just can't anymore.

TheRef
02-18-2017, 01:08 PM
My favorite basketball one is "Everyone Hates Christian Laettner"

msstate7
02-18-2017, 01:10 PM
My favorite basketball one is "Everyone Hates Christian Laettner"

Another one that made me long for the college basketball in my teen years

dawgs
02-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Early entrants to the NBA has definitely hurt the college product, but it's honestly been since the 70s-80s that the best players in college also turned into the best players in the NBA. Early entry has been happening since the early 90s in pretty big waves.

I loved the early 2000s when guys were going straight from HS. No, you weren't watching the most talented basketball players in the world, but it was a better product. They either need to make it two years before you leave, or just let them go straight out of HS again. The fact that many of the best players in college basketball are freshmen every year, then there's a complete turnover each year is killing the product. Guys have no time to build up any kind of name recognition across the country, and there's no way to know from year to year what the best teams will be or what they'll look like.

The new rule focuses are certainly not helping the product, but I think the one-year rule has actually hurt college basketball. It's helped the NBA some, but it's just hard to get into college basketball anymore. Us being terrible for the last several years is a big part of that, but I used to get really into it nationally, and I just can't anymore.

Needs to go to a baseball-like rule. Leave out of HS or you are in college 2-3 years before you are eligible. Guys should also be able to return to school if they are 2nd round picks or go undrafted.

bulldawg28
02-19-2017, 07:35 AM
I blame the NBA draft taking 40 of the best non-seniors every year for the last twenty years and these new horrible foul rules.

Agreed, the draft is killing the sport. No development basketball is taking place now.

blacklistedbully
02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
It's the new foul rule enforcement that is really killing it. unwatchable.