PDA

View Full Version : Mullen says Tyler is starting QB, if healthy

hacker
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
"If Tyler is healthy enough to go then he will be playing quarterback for us," said Mullen. "And if not then Dak will be playing quarterback for us. I won't know Tyler's situation and he might not be cleared early in the week."

"We want to be cautious with guys with head injuries and we have to be very protective with our players and make sure they are cleared and ready to go before we put them in that situation. The thought is we expect him to be ready for the game but I don't know what day this week he is going to be ready to practice."

Just for the people who thought Mullen would start Dak over a healthy Russell.

SheltonChoked
09-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Coach speak. Makes auburn prep for 2 qb's.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Tyler will have to fall on his face a couple more times before Mullen makes the switch- I don't think anybody doubted that.

My hope is that Russell isn't cleared for this week. I want a chance to win

I seen it dawg
09-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Awesome

MetEdDawg
09-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Here's how I see this playing out over the next few games:

He gives Tyler the vote of confidence today to keep Tyler's confidence up moving forward. He says he expects him to be cleared for the game, but he's not sure when exactly he will be cleared. Now he's left the door open to say very late in the week that "Tyler hasn't progressed as well as we though and that he needs to sit for this game". Dak goes out and wins the game against Auburn and now has all the confidence in the world.

After the Auburn game, Tyler is cleared again to play against Troy and he and Dak will probably split the snaps 50/50 with Tyler starting. Tyler doesn't look awful but struggles some, but Dak looks a lot better running the spread option and we win. So now we are 3-1 going into LSU and Dak has been the biggest contributor up to that point as to why we are there, so Mullen now says we are making the switch to a full on 2 QB system where each guy will get his own drives instead of swapping them mid drive.

We sputter against LSU still doing full on 2 QB system, but we still look much better under Dak and Dan goes with Dak for most of the 2nd half, either because Dak is looking that much better or Russell is hurt after getting pounded. By this point, it's pretty clear Dak is the guy and Russell isn't, so Dan goes with Dak permanently.

We go 7-5 after beating Bowling Green, UK, Arkansas, and OM, and we give SC a serious scare. Head back to the Music City bowl and our season is saved. This is a lot of hoping and wishing on my part, but I really think up to the LSU that this is how things play out. Dak playing well and Russell playing poorly is going to make Mullen make this switch at some point. The question is at what point will that happen.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Here's how I see this playing out over the next few games:

He gives Tyler the vote of confidence today to keep Tyler's confidence up moving forward. He says he expects him to be cleared for the game, but he's not sure when exactly he will be cleared. Now he's left the door open to say very late in the week that "Tyler hasn't progressed as well as we though and that he needs to sit for this game". Dak goes out and wins the game against Auburn and now has all the confidence in the world.

After the Auburn game, Tyler is cleared again to play against Troy and he and Dak will probably split the snaps 50/50 with Tyler starting. Tyler doesn't look awful but struggles some, but Dak looks a lot better running the spread option and we win. So now we are 3-1 going into LSU and Dak has been the biggest contributor up to that point as to why we are there, so Mullen now says we are making the switch to a full on 2 QB system where each guy will get his own drives instead of swapping them mid drive.

We sputter against LSU still doing full on 2 QB system, but we still look much better under Dak and Dan goes with Dak for most of the 2nd half, either because Dak is looking that much better or Russell is hurt after getting pounded. By this point, it's pretty clear Dak is the guy and Russell isn't, so Dan goes with Dak permanently.

We go 7-5 after beating Bowling Green, UK, Arkansas, and OM, and we give SC a serious scare. Head back to the Music City bowl and our season is saved. This is a lot of hoping and wishing on my part, but I really think up to the LSU that this is how things play out. Dak playing well and Russell playing poorly is going to make Mullen make this switch at some point. The question is at what point will that happen.

The only part I needed to see was "We go 7-5", for me to say..."I'll take it"

msstate7
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
The only part I needed to see was "We go 7-5", for me to say..."I'll take it"

Me too

RougeDawg
09-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Russell may win 4 more games for us this year. Dak can win 5-6 more for us. Not difficult to see

sbcmortgageman
09-08-2013, 07:57 PM

It'll be a game time decision with Dak starting. Mullen burned some redshirts cause he knows he HAS to win this year. I think if he's honest with himself, he knows we have a better chance with Dak.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Tyler will have to fall on his face a couple more times before Mullen makes the switch- I don't think anybody doubted that.

My hope is that Russell isn't cleared for this week. I want a chance to win

If he does I sure hope he puts two running backs in the back field with him and let TR run a little more. One back will not work with TR. The way it was in the OK State game, we had two options that we were going with. It was going to be let the one running back run or TR throw. Not hard for a defensive player to figure out and if he can't there is a 50/50 chance of guessing right.

hells bells
09-08-2013, 10:09 PM
C34, I am a homer for T17. Following 4 quarters of ball Saturday if Mullen starts Tyler over Dak, I question his emplyment.

KB21
09-08-2013, 10:09 PM
The thing with Dan is that he has a massive ego right now, and he doesn't like all the talk that he is struggling to make his offense work around a drop back passer. So, my guess is, he will end up playing Russell in an attempt to prove he can make it work. And if he does that, he deserves every bit of criticism that will come his way for not just admitting that he needs a running threat at the quarterback position and going with it.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2013, 10:13 PM
The thing with Dan is that he has a massive ego right now, and he doesn't like all the talk that he is struggling to make his offense work around a drop back passer. So, my guess is, he will end up playing Russell in an attempt to prove he can make it work. And if he does that, he deserves every bit of criticism that will come his way for not just admitting that he needs a running threat at the quarterback position and going with it.

I don't think there will be a long rope. I think that there is some pressure from the big guys with the money right now and Dan has been around coaching long enough to know not to let ego jeoperdize his job.

Thick
09-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't necessarily mind TR getting the start, just keep handing the ball off to the 4 horsemen and run the occasional speed sweep to Holloway with Dak in there. Gradually gameplan Dak into the remaining games, but keep running the ball.

Pollodawg
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't necessarily mind TR getting the start, just keep handing the ball off to the 4 horsemen and run the occasional speed sweep to Holloway with Dak in there. Gradually gameplan Dak into the remaining games, but keep running the ball.

This. I don't mind so much the Russell start if we let him hand off and we still run the sweeps, not throw forty times a game.

KB21
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM

In this system, running the ball is a lot harder to do when you do not have the threat of the run at quarterback.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
The thing is, now that Tyler has had his bell rung, he will be even less likely to run. And probably even a little more shaky than normal in the pocket.

CJDAWG85
09-08-2013, 10:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Auburn's biggest liability on D is their secondary. TR is the man in this one, but Dak should see the field a lot to keep them guessing. We need a solid game from our WR's more than anything. If they can't stop our pass game, we will move the ball all night.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Only problem with that is that our WR's are not ready to go out and have us throw 40 passes. That's like saying we should run the Air Raid cause it gave Bama problems last year. We have to play to our strengths on offense- and that is a mobile QB with our RB's carrying the load- with about 23-25 passes mixed in per game

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 10:50 PM
I tend to think that Tyler is still the one to play, but agree sadly with c34 that we can't just flip a switch to air raid like its playstation.

Most of daks throws scare me.

I'm anxious to see what is going to happen... True fork in the road here for us IMO .

Op4isabitch
09-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Only problem with that is that our WR's are not ready to go out and have us throw 40 passes. That's like saying we should run the Air Raid cause it gave Bama problems last year. We have to play to our strengths on offense- and that is a mobile QB with our RB's carrying the load- with about 23-25 passes mixed in per game

I don't understand why it seems that we never have receivers who are "ready". Damn if they are of average intelligence then how hard is it to learn routes? It seems like most other schools don't have trouble teaching receivers to run their routes, so what's our problem? Not arguing with anyone, just having a difficult time seeing this issue. **** me,put them out there, tell them to run their routes and chuck the ball to them!
It ain't rocket surgery.

blacklistedbully
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
We should all know by now that who "starts" isn't necessarily the think to worry about. It's how many quality reps a player gets in practice and how much he plays in the game. Could be that TR starts and DP gets a ton of playing time. I hope that's what we do, if TR is actually healthy.

As far as TR's playing time is concerned, I hope Dan has got him on a much shorter leash. I am willing to give TR another shot since he was doing well before the first hit. But for me it'd be an extremely short leash, with Dak coming in quickly if TR looks like he did vs Ole Miss & NW.

TheDawgBiscuit
09-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Have you seen the issues we have with OL on runs? Dak spreads the field out more and is always a threat. If we pure Run with TR we are doomed IMO.

thunderclap
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
The thing is, now that Tyler has had his bell rung, he will be even less likely to run. And probably even a little more shaky than normal in the pocket.

I hate to think this way, but I've lost all confidence in our offense with Russell running it.

blacklistedbully
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Decided to take a look at the last few games for Tyler. Obviously he sucked hind tit in the last 2 vs Ole Miss & NW. But many may be overstating his responsibility in the other losses. Consider who we played and take a look at how those other opponent's QB's and/or offenses did. TR actually did quite well in the two game prior vs Arky & LSU. His stats for TAMU were respectable as well.

I have also been on the Prescott band-wagon as I too feel he is just a better fit that adds a needed dimension to our attack. But "upon further review" I think some are over-blowing it on the "last 6 games" thing. There were reasons we sucked so bad in those games, but TR was clearly not the only reason, and I think is getting some undue heat because of how bad he stunk against OM & NW. Now many of us (myself included) have been quick to jump on his ass for what we consider a "continuation of last season's problems" because it sure looked just that bad most of the Ok State opener. But if we take a closer look, musn't we admit he loooked pretty good before he took that first shot to the head? Isn't it at least plausible that it was a concussion that derailed him after the sharp start?

All this to say, though I'm still convinced our play-calling really sucked, I'm not so sure TR can't be successful for us IF the play-calling by our coaches gets better and he stays healthy. Yes, I do still think our style of offense is better-suited for a true dual-threat QB, but I am also thinking that if TR really can play the way he did before that first head-shot, is better at reading defenses and making adjustments on-the-line, then perhaps he really should go back to being the starter when he's healthy and until he shows us that, even healthy our offense is still going to stall & sputter.

I say we back him when he comes back, but keep a very short leash on him, and make sure Prescott gets quality reps in practice. And I definitely think Prescott should get increased playing time as well. Force defenses to prepare for both styles.

Coach34
09-09-2013, 01:42 PM
We had 2 first downs on offense until the mid-3rd quarter vs A&M...Tyler did nothing of consequence when the game mattered

TheDawgBiscuit
09-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Decided to take a look at the last few games for Tyler. Obviously he sucked hind tit in the last 2 vs Ole Miss & NW. But many may be overstating his responsibility in the other losses. Consider who we played and take a look at how those other opponent's QB's and/or offenses did. TR actually did quite well in the two game prior vs Arky & LSU. His stats for TAMU were respectable as well.

I have also been on the Prescott band-wagon as I too feel he is just a better fit that adds a needed dimension to our attack. But "upon further review" I think some are over-blowing it on the "last 6 games" thing. There were reasons we sucked so bad in those games, but TR was clearly not the only reason, and I think is getting some undue heat because of how bad he stunk against OM & NW. Now many of us (myself included) have been quick to jump on his ass for what we consider a "continuation of last season's problems" because it sure looked just that bad most of the Ok State opener. But if we take a closer look, musn't we admit he loooked pretty good before he took that first shot to the head? Isn't it at least plausible that it was a concussion that derailed him after the sharp start?

All this to say, though I'm still convinced our play-calling really sucked, I'm not so sure TR can't be successful for us IF the play-calling by our coaches gets better and he stays healthy. Yes, I do still think our style of offense is better-suited for a true dual-threat QB, but I am also thinking that if TR really can play the way he did before that first head-shot, is better at reading defenses and making adjustments on-the-line, then perhaps he really should go back to being the starter when he's healthy and until he shows us that, even healthy our offense is still going to stall & sputter.

I say we back him when he comes back, but keep a very short leash on him, and make sure Prescott gets quality reps in practice. And I definitely think Prescott should get increased playing time as well. Force defenses to prepare for both styles.

To me TR is talented. The problem to me is he is not the right fit for the crappy OL we have. We cannot overcome the weaknesses with him as well as someone who is indeed a threat to run.

I don't want this to end up being Auburn 2011 where we have two quick screw ups that lead to a quick 14 point screw up. We need to pound them with everything we have. We are facing Gus and Ellis. They are both good coaches. And they will take advantage of every mistake we make.

This game scares me honestly because we should/could win it. But we cannot come out flat or make mistakes.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
If Tyler plays Saturday, the best he can do at this point is to say, "**** it" and start winging the ball all over the field Favre style. Honestly, if Tyler is going to play, I would rather go down because we are trying to be over aggressive then go down playing not to lose.

blacklistedbully
09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
We had 2 first downs on offense until the mid-3rd quarter vs A&M...Tyler did nothing of consequence when the game mattered

Coach, we got 4 first downs on our first drive of Ok State. Would have been 5 if not for the penalty we got on an 8-yard completion by TR. On that first drive TR was 5 of 7 for 60 yards.

Didn't the first head-shot he took come shortly thereafter?

Against TAMU TR was 5 for 9 in the first half. Not great, but then we were playing a damn good football team who made other good teams looks pretty pathetic as well. Our problems went Way beyond TR, including a defense that couldn't get them off the field. Ultimately TR's QB rating for that game was 127.

We were already down 35-0 by the time TR got his first possession in the second half, so you now that played into TAMU's defense.

Coach34
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Coach, we got 4 first downs on our first drive of Ok State. Would have been 5 if not for the penalty we got on an 8-yard completion by TR. On that first drive TR was 5 of 7 for 60 yards.

Didn't the first head-shot he took come shortly thereafter?

Against TAMU TR was 5 for 9 in the first half. Not great, but then we were playing a damn good football team who made other good teams looks pretty pathetic as well. Our problems went Way beyond TR, including a defense that couldn't get them off the field. Ultimately TR's QB rating for that game was 127.

We were already down 35-0 by the time TR got his first possession in the second half, so you now that played into TAMU's defense.

Two things:

1. Tyler had a 10 yard run in the 2nd quarter and then jumped up like he was Superman- so I don't buy into the theory he suffered a concussion on the 1st drive

2. Tyler and the offense was just as much to blame for being down 31-0 in the 3rd. They had 5 possessions and did absolutely nothing with them. NOTHING.

ScoobaDawg
09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't understand why it seems that we never have receivers who are "ready". Damn if they are of average intelligence then how hard is it to learn routes? It seems like most other schools don't have trouble teaching receivers to run their routes, so what's our problem? Not arguing with anyone, just having a difficult time seeing this issue. **** me,put them out there, tell them to run their routes and chuck the ball to them!
It ain't rocket surgery.

It's not rocket science to defend either if you know if the offensive line has no push so the running game is no threat and your receivers can't get separation because your quarterback stares you down and throws a pass 2 seconds late.