PDA

View Full Version : Good article by Rick Cleveland on beisball schollys

lamont
02-17-2017, 07:36 AM
http://mississippitoday.org/2017/02/16/play-ball-but-how-about-we-play-fair/

Political Hack
02-17-2017, 07:45 AM
He used to post his articles here. Wish he still did. That's the only way I see them and typically enjoy his stories.

DeviousDawg
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
This isn't 1930. Schools have enough money to give every D1 athlete a full scholarship. Give every D1 school the opportunity to choose which sports they want to compete in, let the schools work the title IX numbers out themselves, and give every athlete a full scholarship. Can someone please explain to me why football and basketball players, who practice and put in as many hours as baseball players, get a full scholarship while the baseball guys don't? Same can be said for any sport that has to split scholarships. It just doesn't make sense, and it's simply unfair.

If this ever happens, it would be great for college baseball. You won't see nearly as many 3rd-10th round picks choose to go straight to the pros if they have a full scholarship to play college ball. It wouldn't necessarily hurt or help the blue bloods, it would only raise the level of college baseball as a whole. I think it will happen in the next two decades.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2017, 08:38 AM
A few thoughts:

- Rick's article doesn't even address how it is additionally unfair that Vanderbilt baseball has basically unlimited full scholarships while everyone has 11.7

- due to the 11.7, baseball loses most every duel sport athlete because playing football in college is cheaper than playing baseball. Furthermore, many lower income kids are forced to go play pro ball because their family can't afford the rest of tuition.

- does OM really out draw us like the article states?

Political Hack
02-17-2017, 08:41 AM
This isn't 1930. Schools have enough money to give every D1 athlete a full scholarship. Give every D1 school the opportunity to choose which sports they want to compete in, let the schools work the title IX numbers out themselves, and give every athlete a full scholarship. Can someone please explain to me why football and basketball players, who practice and put in as many hours as baseball players, get a full scholarship while the baseball guys don't? Same can be said for any sport that has to split scholarships. It just doesn't make sense, and it's simply unfair.

If this ever happens, it would be great for college baseball. You won't see nearly as many 3rd-10th round picks choose to go straight to the pros if they have a full scholarship to play college ball. It wouldn't necessarily hurt or help the blue bloods, it would only raise the level of college baseball as a whole. I think it will happen in the next two decades.

Football should be excluded from Title IX and then it should be a 1 for 1. If you provide a men's or women's team, you have to have the other. Not having a men's soccer team on campus is more criminal than the ridiculous baseball scholarship numbers. And I don't even really like soccer.

Political Hack
02-17-2017, 08:42 AM
A few thoughts:

- Rick's article doesn't even address how it is additionally unfair that Vanderbilt baseball has basically unlimited full scholarships while everyone has 11.7

- due to the 11.7, baseball loses most every duel sport athlete because playing football in college is cheaper than playing baseball. Furthermore, many lower income kids are forced to go play pro ball because their family can't afford the rest of tuition.

He said season tickets sold. Not attendance. Big difference. Go look at record attendances. It's us and LSU.

messageboardsuperhero
02-17-2017, 08:53 AM
A few thoughts:

Tickets sold does not equal butts in the seats. Right now we have a pretty hard cap on the number of season tickets we sell because nobody is buying season tickets to sit in the bleachers. When the new park gets here, I anticipate our numbers at least being somewhat comparable to LSU.

SaintDawg
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
NCAA does what is in the NCAA's best interest and nothing more.

Nice article, Rick.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2017, 09:28 AM
This really isn't about the NCAA but rather about smaller schools, which out number, Power 5 schools, voting to keep the scholarships the same so that the talent level is dispersed. It's how Coastal Carolina, Cal State Fullerton, Rice, and Pepperdine can have good teams.

It's really another power 5 vs group of 6 debate. The NCAA is the schools and the power 5 schools can't get enough support

AusTexDawg
02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
This really isn't about the NCAA but rather about smaller schools, which out number, Power 5 schools, voting to keep the scholarships the same so that the talent level is dispersed. It's how Coastal Carolina, Cal State Fullerton, Rice, and Pepperdine can have good teams.

It's really another power 5 vs group of 6 debate. The NCAA is the schools and the power 5 schools can't get enough support

Agreed. The P5 don't have the leverage in baseball to move the others. What do they have that the others want, when a couple hundred teams can look at the 2016 CWS and think that they can be the next Coastal Carolina (or Fresno State or Cal State Fullerton), why would they want to give the P5 schools the opportunity to make baseball like football where only the blue bloods can compete for a national title.

Unless something can be done on the revenue side in baseball so that 1/3 of schools can make money on it (http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/when-it-comes-to-college-sports-revenue-even-a-powerhouse/article_29eb808c-edd8-11e3-9f88-0017a43b2370.html) (and the rest are willing to believe they can, like in football (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-06/football-is-forever-the-money-losing-drug-these-schools-can-t-quit)), it's unlikely that there will be enough votes to increase the scholarship limits (which would then decrease parity outside the P5 and schools who are committed to baseball success, like Fullerton).

Gutter Cobreh
02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
A few thoughts:

Disagree w/ your second point. While partial scholarships is a disadvantage, the lure of an immediate large check from football outweighs the grind of minor league baseball. Also, there is so much money available in aid (grants, scholarships, loans) that supplementing tuition isn't that big of a deal.

If football incorporated a minor league system, maybe the dynamic shifts but I doubt it.

Take AJ Brown for example - has talent for both sports but what is more lucrative even today while in Oxford? Playing football

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Disagree w/ your second point. While partial scholarships is a disadvantage, the lure of an immediate large check from football outweighs the grind of minor league baseball. Also, there is so much money available in aid (grants, scholarships, loans) that supplementing tuition isn't that big of a deal.

If football incorporated a minor league system, maybe the dynamic shifts but I doubt it.

Take AJ Brown for example - has talent for both sports but what is more lucrative even today while in Oxford? Playing football

AJ actually loves baseball far more than football.

Your point is true at some minor level, but overall it's extremely disappointing difficult for a player with options in both sports to choose baseball over due to the simple finances of the situation.

Gutter Cobreh
02-17-2017, 02:49 PM
AJ actually loves baseball far more than football.

Your point is true at some minor level, but overall it's extremely disappointing difficult for a player with options in both sports to choose baseball over due to the simple finances of the situation.

You've proven my point. A kids who loves baseball more football, has the opportunity for a nice signing bonus with his MLB draft position, and even comes from a family that (from the outside) appears to be able to afford the difference between tuition and a partial scholarship had he not been drafted - yet chooses to play college football instead.

Why? Simple - more lucrative!!! (even if you take out the Ole Miss affiliation)

The other reasons are minor...

Todd4State
02-17-2017, 04:44 PM
MLB needs to help college baseball out with this issue and it's way past time. Especially with most of their American players going to college now.

I hope the pending redshirt rule will trickle down to baseball where players can be redshirted, still play even in a limited number of games and retain eligibility. That will help players stay for four years at least rather than three.

Goldendawg
02-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Do some SEC schools use lottery $ to give scholarships to baseball players which puts us at an even worse disadvantage? I think I read something about this also.

Schultzy
02-17-2017, 10:40 PM
Very hesitant to post this but does ethnicity play a factor in this? Baseball is kind've a white sport anymore and I understand it's been argued against raising scholarship limits nationally for that reason.

Anyone else heard this?