PDA

View Full Version : Targeting penalty being reviewed

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2017, 01:49 PM
http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/02/16/targeting-rule-possible-change?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

MetEdDawg
02-16-2017, 02:12 PM
If they can do that, they need to bring the 5 yard facemask back.

SaintDawg
02-16-2017, 02:32 PM
They need to change the way PI penalties are called in NCAA more than anything. In the NFL, pass interference is a spot foul; the ball is spotted where the interference occurred. Under NCAA, if the spot of the foul is less than 15 yards from the Line of Scrimmage then it is a spot foul, if the spot is greater than 15 yards, it is only a 15 yard penalty. A first down is rewarded in both cases.For instance, let’s say the offense has the ball at its own 30-yard line, and the quarterback throws the ball deep. The defender commits pass interference at his own 20-yard line.
In the NFL, the ball is placed at the 20, resulting in a 50-yard gain for the offense.
Under the NCAA rules, the ball would be placed at the offense’s 45, a gain of only 15 yards. The rules for PI in NCAA and NFL should be exactly the same.
The one that I don't understand is in the NFL, if PI occurs in the endzone, the ball goes to the 1-yard line and auto 1st down. This pretty much guarantees a TD for the penalty. In college, PI is always 15 yards and that's it. And the fact that it is not reviewable or able to be challenged EVER is horseshit. That penalty ALONE decides more games than any other and it needs to be fixed.

blacklistedbully
02-16-2017, 02:59 PM
This is why it is the way it is in college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocxZM1lQEg

SaintDawg
02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
This is why it is the way it is in college:
LOL... I was at that game. I was 6 years old. Didn't understand it then and still don't today.
Player: INTERCEPTION!!!
Referee: PASS INTERFERENCE!!!
Player: Why? What did I do? It was a clean interception, I never touched him and made a play on the ball and not the receiver.
Referee: Because I was so certain that you would commit a penalty that when you intercepted, I got excited and threw the flag anyway because in my mind's eye you interfered with the pass and I didn't want to look stupid in front of 60,000 people. You should've let the Ole Miss receiver catch the ball. So, yes.... Because, rules. 1st Down!

He should've stomped that ref's ass into pieces. Bullshit refs will never go away.

blacklistedbully
02-16-2017, 03:39 PM
LOL... I was at that game. I was 6 years old. Didn't understand it then and still don't today.
Player: INTERCEPTION!!!
Referee: PASS INTERFERENCE!!!
Player: Why? What did I do? It was a clean interception, I never touched him and made a play on the ball and not the receiver.
Referee: Because I was so certain that you would commit a penalty that when you intercepted, I got excited and threw the flag anyway because in my mind's eye you interfered with the pass and I didn't want to look stupid in front of 60,000 people. You should've let the Ole Miss receiver catch the ball. So, yes.... Because, rules. 1st Down!

He should've stomped that ref's ass into pieces. Bullshit refs will never go away.

It is why Dick Pace is one of the most-hated villains in MSU history. I was also there that day.

SaintDawg
02-16-2017, 03:59 PM
It is why Dick Pace is one of the most-hated villains in MSU history. I was also there that day.
Dick Pace. I never knew the official's name. It goes without saying that the MSU fan base probably took some creative liberties with that name.

blacklistedbully
02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Dick Pace. I never knew the official's name. It goes without saying that the MSU fan base probably took some creative liberties with that name.

That was a tough year, perhaps our best team ever, certainly in the top 3, IMO. We were ranked #7 in the country going into the Bama game in T-Town. Bama was #8. With Bama ahead 13-10, and time running out, we had a 3rd-and-goal inside the Bama ten, expecting to win, or at least send it to OT. But on that 3rd down, we attempted a pass that was deflected and intercepted. Game over.

We followed that up as the #15 team vs #20 USM in the game where we dominated them, with them crossing midfield just once, and that on a fumbled punt (or was it a KO?) that set them up for the TD that ultimately won the game 7-6. We just couldn't punch it in, and made enough mistakes to keep USM in it.

Next up we beat LSU in BR...then came the Egg Bowl.

So, that team really could have, and probably should have been 9-1 going into the Egg Bowl, ranked in the Top 5. At worst, we should have been 8-2, ranked in the Top 10 or so. So that was already a season of great promise turned into bitter disappointment at opportunity lost. Then came Dick Face, I mean Pace.

RocketDawg
02-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Couldn't see what happened before the camera got in position, but it didn't look like the defender was anywhere near the receiver. If anything, it looked like offensive pass interference.

blacklistedbully
02-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Couldn't see what happened before the camera got in position, but it didn't look like the defender was anywhere near the receiver. If anything, it looked like offensive pass interference.

It was OPI. I was there. At first Dick Pace tried to CYA by claiming it occurred prior to the pass arriving, but that was complete BS. I've heard he apologized years later.

blacklistedbully
02-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Also, you can tell from the video that the pass was underthrown, with our DB in perfect position, and the WR pulling at him from behind.