PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: One Major Advantage of 2017 over 2016 - Proven Bullpen

The Federalist Engineer
02-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Consider how the eventual SEC-Champs and future National Seed managed Game-1 of 2016 from a pitching perspective after Dakota Hudson gave us a solid 5 innings:

(1) Kale Breaux, (2) Billingsley, (3) Small, (4) Hughes, (5) Padgett, and (6) Cyr

In the following 3 games we saw Tatum, James, Rigby, Smith, and Cyr again.

This selection of pitchers (with the benefit of hindsight) shows that Cohen and Johnson had only a notion of who could help us after the starter. If those same Florida Atlantic games were played in May, we would have seen Rigby, Smith, Brown, and Humphreys. We basically entered the season without a proven core of relievers. By the way, I don't blame Tatum for the FAU loss, we were shutout offensively 4-0 and he tossed 4 quality innings and entered with the bases loaded.

In 2017, on the other hand, we have a solid and proven core of bullpen resources in Rigby, Smith, and Billingsley to start the year. Additionally, if Jacob Barton is as good for us as he was for LSU-Eunice, this dude is a lights out closer. That would be 4 relievers, basically all you need for an SEC season.

smootness
02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Good point, though we may see a similar rotation of guys early in the OOC schedule as we try to figure out which guys are ready, especially the new guys.

You have to use them sometime to figure out what they can do for you.

HoopsDawg
02-16-2017, 11:05 AM
It's just going to be really tough to overcome the 3 injuries to key players.

And only have 4 lefties available: Breaux, Barlow (a freshman), Pilkington, and Mahoney (juco coming off of Tommy John)

To me the wildcard is Parker Ford. He has the potential to be really good.

maroonmania
02-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Yep, going into 2016 we had just as many unknowns as we do this year. We had a lot of new guys come through for us last year in Mangum, Lowe, Kruger and Rooker. Really going into last year the only guys we had seen much of were Robson, Collins and Holland but Collins was coming off injury playing a new position and Holland ended up having a bad year last year anyway. On the mound the only somewhat proven commodity we had going into last year was Sexton and he wasn't considered to be as good as we expect Pilkington to be this year. Hudson had a good Summer but had only pitched 16 innings for MSU the year before. And as you've pointed out our bullpen last year was not nearly as proven as some of the bullpen guys we have this year. Guess I say all of that to say that most of the pre-season predictions for this year are pretty much in line with last year where expectations were maybe to get a 2 seed in someone's regional after coming off a horrific 2015. Not saying that 2017 will have guys jump up and perform at a high level like 2016 but not saying they won't either.

shoeless joe
02-16-2017, 11:12 AM
90+ plays on any level. Who's gonna throw strikes? Who's got a reliable offspeed option?

maroonmania
02-16-2017, 12:21 PM

And only have 4 lefties available: Breaux, Barlow (a freshman), Pilkington, and Mahoney (juco coming off of Tommy John)

Not much different than last year really. Our best LH reliever last year was Daniel Brown and he was up and down. Tatum and Small were essentially non-factors in games that mattered. If Breaux can step up to be on par with what Daniel Brown was last year we at least will not be any worse off.

HoopsDawg
02-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Not much different than last year really. Our best LH reliever last year was Daniel Brown and he was up and down. Tatum and Small were essentially non-factors in games that mattered. If Breaux can step up to be on par with what Daniel Brown was last year we at least will not be any worse off.

True on the lefty situation. Difference being last year, we pretty much knew Hudson was going to be an ace after his Cape Cod performance and practice performances. Sexton was penciled in as a steady Sat guy. And we knew Houston had nasty stuff and experience. This year, I struggle to find 3 SEC starters and 2 midweek guys/long relievers.

preachermatt83
02-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Yep, going into 2016 we had just as many unknowns as we do this year. We had a lot of new guys come through for us last year in Mangum, Lowe, Kruger and Rooker. Really going into last year the only guys we had seen much of were Robson, Collins and Holland but Collins was coming off injury playing a new position and Holland ended up having a bad year last year anyway. On the mound the only somewhat proven commodity we had going into last year was Sexton and he wasn't considered to be as good as we expect Pilkington to be this year. Hudson had a good Summer but had only pitched 16 innings for MSU the year before. And as you've pointed out our bullpen last year was not nearly as proven as some of the bullpen guys we have this year. Guess I say all of that to say that most of the pre-season predictions for this year are pretty much in line with last year where expectations were maybe to get a 2 seed in someone's regional after coming off a horrific 2015. Not saying that 2017 will have guys jump up and perform at a high level like 2016 but not saying they won't either.
Exactly!! Great post.

smootness
02-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Mangum will be another lefty we can use if needed. He's apparently looked good on the mound.

And Gene has said Spencer Price looked really good in spring and may be a candidate to start.

maroonmania
02-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Mangum will be another lefty we can use if needed. He's apparently looked good on the mound.

And Gene has said Spencer Price looked really good in spring and may be a candidate to start.

And don't forget our lefty secret weapon, Logan freakin' Cooke. :)

The Federalist Engineer
02-16-2017, 03:01 PM

I have looked at the stats of CWS championship staffs of the last 10 years, having a shutdown LH pitcher in relief has not been necessary. UCLA only had ONE left handed pitcher with significant innings in 2013 and he was a starter. Many champions had 94% of their innings pitched by right-handers.

The bottom line, you pitch your best people and L/R is secondary.

HoopsDawg
02-16-2017, 03:06 PM
I have looked at the stats of CWS championship staffs of the last 10 years, having a shutdown LH pitcher in relief has not been necessary. UCLA only had ONE left handed pitcher with significant innings in 2013 and he was a starter. Many champions had 94% of their innings pitched by right-handers.

Interesting. I hope we have enough righties with good stuff.

Homedawg
02-16-2017, 03:53 PM
And don't forget our lefty secret weapon, Logan freakin' Cooke. :)

I'll be shocked if he's on the 35 man roster. But stranger things have happened.

bulldogcountry1
02-16-2017, 05:16 PM

This is what I have been saying all spring. This time last year, I couldn't even guess at a lineup. For starters, we had Hudson and Sexton, with Brown and Houston battling for Sunday. After that, nobody had any clue about the bullpen. The number of healthy arms may have us in a more precarious position right now, but we are going to have to rely on new guys, just like last year. If we have talent, it will show up.

Todd4State
02-16-2017, 05:24 PM
I'll be shocked if he's on the 35 man roster. But stranger things have happened.

He probably makes it because of the injuries.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-16-2017, 07:33 PM

There is some truth here. In college, the righties are usually much better than the lefties. Talented lefties are in such great demand, the ones that throw hard get drafted out of high school higher than a comparable righty. So it's more likely that a talented righty goes to college than an equally talented lefty. Talented left handed pitchers and big power hitters, MLB draft loves them.

The Federalist Engineer
02-16-2017, 10:09 PM
There is some truth here. In college, the righties are usually much better than the lefties. Talented lefties are in such great demand, the ones that throw hard get drafted out of high school higher than a comparable righty. So it's more likely that a talented righty goes to college than an equally talented lefty. Talented left handed pitchers and big power hitters, MLB draft loves them.

Arizona-2012 of 94 innings of playoff baseball, only 4 were thrown by a LH (all relief)

UCLA-2013 of 91 innings of playoff baseball, 13 innings by LH starter, 0 by LH relief

CCU-2016 of 126 innings of playoff baseball, 0.333 innings by LH (all relief)

bulldogcountry1
02-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Are we going to even be able to fill a 35 man roster with healthy guys? As best I understand it, if a guy is on scholarship, he has to be on the roster.

Todd4State
02-17-2017, 03:05 AM
Are we going to even be able to fill a 35 man roster with healthy guys? As best I understand it, if a guy is on scholarship, he has to be on the roster.

If my math is right we will or be at 34. Remember scholarships are one year deals and can change from year to year.

NewDawg
02-18-2017, 10:11 PM
I think you guys miss the mark. Last year finishing Fall ball our pitchers both starters and relievers looked sharp. Who worked with them? Butch. After Butch leaves it goes down hill pitchers mechanics change from fall- they don't even look the same. Now fast forward and see how many of those had to have surgery. You have to at least wonder???! Hopefully Henderson is taking care of these boys arms.