Prentis
02-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Due to personal reason.

jumbo
02-15-2017, 04:46 PM
I'm sure he'll be back just in time to tally 4 sacks in Starkville

DeviousDawg
02-15-2017, 04:47 PM
I hope it's not to prevent injury in spring practice. If so, this could be the beginning of the end for college football as we know it. Soon, future top picks will be taking their junior years off left and right.

Jack Lambert
02-15-2017, 04:52 PM
I hope it's not to prevent injury in spring practice. If so, this could be the beginning of the end for college football as we know it. Soon, future top picks will be taking their junior years off left and right.

I think it is.

KB21
02-15-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm curious to see if he simply lays out the entire year and then enters the draft.

Bodaski
02-15-2017, 05:37 PM

As a coach, I always had mixed feelings about spring ball. While working for Bobby Franklin at NWCC we kept a small % of upcoming soph's. So what good was it when you knew that a handful or a few more would return. I always felt in HS Spring benefited incoming soph's and jr's got the most out of it. Seemed like we always lost a kid to a major injury in the spring and it usually be your hoss. I think the majority of injuries are due to lack of being in football shape. We had spent 3-3 1/2 months in the WR. Room and not running as much as pre-fall workouts.

CadaverDawg
02-15-2017, 05:42 PM
That'll help

DeviousDawg
02-15-2017, 05:43 PM
As a coach, I always had mixed feelings about spring ball. While working for Bobby Franklin at NWCC we kept a small % of upcoming soph's. So what good was it when you knew that a handful or a few more would return. I always felt in HS Spring benefited incoming soph's and jr's got the most out of it. Seemed like we always lost a kid to a major injury in the spring and it usually be your hoss. I think the majority of injuries are due to lack of being in football shape. We had spent 3-3 1/2 months in the WR. Room and not running as much as pre-fall workouts.

I see what you're saying. It's not really the fact that he is skipping spring practice that bothers me, its the fact that I believe this will open the door for others to skip entire seasons. Mark my word, this will become a trend this decade until the NCAA finds a way to prevent it.

I think this really comes down to agents influencing guys and talking them into not playing. Agents don't care what they do in college, they just want them healthy going into the draft. Agents are negatively affecting college football and it's only getting worse every year. The NCAA needs to get out in front of this before it gets out of hand.

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2017, 05:52 PM
I see what you're saying. It's not really the fact that he is skipping spring practice that bothers me, its the fact that I believe this will open the door for others to skip entire seasons. Mark my word, this will become a trend this decade until the NCAA finds a way to prevent it.

I think this really comes down to agents influencing guys and talking them into not playing. Agents don't care what they do in college, they just want them healthy going into the draft. Agents are negatively affecting college football and it's only getting worse every year. The NCAA needs to get out in front of this before it gets out of hand.

Could be. Ultimately though this could work in MSU's advantage as I'd imagine Bama and LSU will have far more players opt to do this than us since they have the best players.

If it became a trend, it could have a similar impact as the MLB draft has had on college baseball.

Skydawg1
02-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Exactly who is in control down there? Seems like the players pretty much do what they want. I would advise Guice to sit next year out too!**

Dawgology
02-15-2017, 06:29 PM
They should just let them draft right out of highschool. I think that would cut down a lot on recruiting shenanigans and turn college football back into college football.

DeviousDawg
02-15-2017, 06:35 PM
They should just let them draft right out of highschool. I think that would cut down a lot on recruiting shenanigans and turn college football back into college football.

With all the recent concussion issues in football, this will NEVER happen. An 18 year old boy can not physically hang with the men of the NFL.

GTHOM
02-15-2017, 07:26 PM

HS kids would get murdered. Not many kids come straight out of HS ready to play D1 ball not even ''5 stars'' this isn't basketball

louisvilledawg
02-16-2017, 09:21 AM
HS kids would get murdered. Not many kids come straight out of HS ready to play D1 ball not even ''5 stars'' this isn't basketball

Agree 99%. The only guy i think that might could hang would be Robert Nkemdiche. Dude had basically already maxed out his physical ability and had the same talent/development after three years of OM as he did in HS.

WSOPdawg
02-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Agree, and with the long-term head traumas caused from numerous concussions that we are hearing more and more about everyday, players are starting to (1) question if football is worth it health-wise and (2) realize that a football player can only take so many shots to the body and are thereby being advised to sit out bowl games and maybe forego their junior year of college football prior to entering the NFL.

It's a shame but the game that we've all grown up with and love is changing.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
It's not to avoid injury. I hear it could be grades related.