PDA

View Full Version : What's the minimum NCAA sanctions for Ole Miss...

travis
02-15-2017, 10:12 AM
What's the minimum NCAA sanctions to be levied on Ole Miss for you to be satisfied?

I think death penalty or being kicked out of the SEC are pipe dreams, but I would be satisfied with two year bowl ban (3 yrs w/o a bowl LOL), something like the loss 20 scholarships over 3 years (starting w/ the 2018 class), and a show-cause for Freeze. Bucky is a decent coach, so losing him on top of the other sanctions would leave them with Sly Croom-type hire that would cripple them to at least 2021-2022. Anything less than that, and I think they got off light.

KB21
02-15-2017, 10:19 AM
5 years probation, at least 30 scholarships lost over 4 years, 2 year bowl ban, vacated wins, multiple show causes for coaches

Political Hack
02-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Math suggests 30 over 3 and a 2 year bowl ban at minimum. However, there's a 2nd NOA that will be added to that and word on the street is that it's "catastrophic." Even Not-A-Fan McCready alluded to this a couple of weeks back on a podcast. It's went from bad to worse. However, the NCAA has never dealt with anything of this magnitude. Even SMU doesn't compare. You'd have to combine UNC and USC to even get close and even then it's a limited number of people involved. Here you have multiple people connected to the university involved, recruits that signed eslewhere, kids at ole miss, multiple coaches, multiple staffs, multiple sports, and a major freaking academic scandal thrown in just for good measure.

It is, by far, the largest and most expansive investigation in the history of the NCAA. There's no precedent. It's impossible to predict.

Martianlander
02-15-2017, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see at least a 3 year bowl ban. With 2 years they will lie to recruits and tell them they will red shirt them so it will only effect them one year. Start talking effecting them 2 years plus a red shirt, then it makes them ponder a little more.

DancingRabbit
02-15-2017, 10:35 AM
5 years probation, at least 30 scholarships lost over 4 years, 2 year bowl ban, vacated wins, multiple show causes for coaches

Agree. Throw in a reduction in official visits and other recruiting sanctions and you've got it about right as the absolute minimum.

SaintDawg
02-15-2017, 10:35 AM
This. ^^^ I'm not looking for the DP to happen, but I definitely want to see their knees broken.

travis
02-15-2017, 10:36 AM
It is, by far, the largest and most expansive investigation in the history of the NCAA. There's no precedent. It's impossible to predict.

Yes, but what reasonable sanctions will satisfy you?

travis
02-15-2017, 10:39 AM

This seems reasonable, and crippling. I think this is about as bad as we can hope for.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Here is the thing. I don't think they will be forced to walk the Green Mile either, but anything short of that and the cheating will continue. They have shown that the NCAA going with the latex glove only slowed them down a little. They've taken the mindset that this is a witch hunt because the Alabama's of the world thought they were getting too strong and a conspiracy was launched to bring them back down. In their minds they are the innocent holy victims being persecuted by an unjust and tyrannical regime. With that mindset, it is their civic duty to resist and try anything they can to still carry on the righteous fight and stick it to the powers that be. Players will still be bought, tests will still be rigged, mamas will still get houses and jobs, etc. The only way to stop it is for them to get the DP. If they have a team to cheat for then they will cheat.

DancingRabbit
02-15-2017, 10:48 AM
This seems reasonable, and crippling. I think this is about as bad as we can hope for.

I think that's about as good as OM can hope for.

AROB44
02-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Math suggests 30 over 3 and a 2 year bowl ban at minimum. However, there's a 2nd NOA that will be added to that and word on the street is that it's "catastrophic." Even Not-A-Fan McCready alluded to this a couple of weeks back on a podcast. It's went from bad to worse. However, the NCAA has never dealt with anything of this magnitude. Even SMU doesn't compare. You'd have to combine UNC and USC to even get close and even then it's a limited number of people involved. Here you have multiple people connected to the university involved, recruits that signed eslewhere, kids at ole miss, multiple coaches, multiple staffs, multiple sports, and a major freaking academic scandal thrown in just for good measure.

Could someone please explain how this works.....I have never totally understood it. Thanks.

DawgInMemphis
02-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Could someone please explain how this works.....I have never totally understood it. Thanks.

Loss of 10 scholarships per year, for 3 years. At the end of 3 years, they would have a maximum of 55 scholarship players. At least that's the way I understand it.

fader2103
02-15-2017, 11:08 AM
This comes up 3 times every week. Nobody knows especially with the 2nd NOA, not being released yet.

TrapGame
02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
If there are om alums that are former governors, senators and congressmen running a shady org that feeds the Network its cash to operate then the death penalty is more than warranted. That shit needs to be taken down like a condemned building: ie, blown the fk up!!

travis
02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
If there are om alums that are former governors, senators and congressmen running a shady org that feeds the Network its cash to operate then the death penalty is more than warranted. That shit needs to be taken down like a condemned building: ie, blown the fk up!!

I think you guys are going to be disappointed if you think ANY of that stuff will be included in the second notice. It sounds like conspiracy theory bullshit to me. It's going to be small-timers trying to feel like big-shots by funneling cash/benefits to recruits and players - plus coaches involved somehow. This is, of course, only my opinion and I'd happy to be wrong and see bureaucrats in Indianapolis bring down a well-connected criminal organization, but excuse me if I don't get my hopes up.

WSOPdawg
02-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Hack sums it up about as well as anything I've read on here in quite some time.

My contention is that when its all said and done, many will argue that how the NCAA handled this case and penalized TCUN is most unfair, yet the NCAA arguably won't have a choice but to hammer them just because this case is like a spider with legs reaching into so many unscrupulous areas that keep getting repeated over and over (for the better part of a decade). Unfathomable and never before seen by the NCAA.

TrapGame
02-15-2017, 11:45 AM
I think you guys are going to be disappointed if you think ANY of that stuff will be included in the second notice. It sounds like conspiracy theory bullshit to me. It's going to be small-timers trying to feel like big-shots by funneling cash/benefits to recruits and players - plus coaches involved somehow. This is, of course, only my opinion and I'd happy to be wrong and see bureaucrats in Indianapolis bring down a well-connected criminal organization, but excuse me if I don't get my hopes up.

Uh, if you don't think there are big time golden boys pushing buttons then you don't understand The Network. You think these small timers did everything on their own? Man, those are the true believers who'd put on a suicide vest for The Flagship. And it's the golden boys at the top that let it all happen. If Biff Turdlicker, the rich trial lawyer at B&S, gets out of line with his recruiting shenanigans -threatening the FB program with NCAA violations - you better believe there is a bigger fish in The Grove that would have yanked his Polo collar back to the fking Stone Age. It didn't happen b/c those whales that swim The Grove know damn well what's going on b/c they're a part of it.

WSOPdawg
02-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Uh, if you don't think there are big time golden boys pushing buttons then you don't understand The Network. You think these small timers did everything on their own? Man, those are the true believers who'd put on a suicide vest for The Flagship. And it's the golden boys at the top that let it all happen. If Biff Turdlicker, the rich trial lawyer at B&S, gets out of line with his recruiting shenanigans -threatening the FB program with NCAA violations - you better believe there is a bigger fish in The Grove that would have yanked his Polo collar back to the fking Stone Age. It didn't happen b/c those whales that swim The Grove know damn well what's going on b/c they're a part of it.

Trap's got game!!!

preachermatt83
02-15-2017, 11:54 AM
18 over 3. 1 year bowl ban. No show causes. 2 years probation.

TrapGame
02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Oh shit, they're getting the death penalty!***

MedDawg
02-15-2017, 12:08 PM
What's the minimum NCAA sanctions to be levied on Ole Miss for you to be satisfied?

I think death penalty or being kicked out of the SEC are pipe dreams, but I would be satisfied with two year bowl ban (3 yrs w/o a bowl LOL), something like the loss 20 scholarships over 3 years (starting w/ the 2018 class), and a show-cause for Freeze. Bucky is a decent coach, so losing him on top of the other sanctions would leave them with Sly Croom-type hire that would cripple them to at least 2021-2022. Anything less than that, and I think they got off light.

This, pretty much word-for-word.

blacklistedbully
02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Might as well just endorse cheating at a high level. If that's all they get, they will absolutely have considered it a good investment. And every other crappy program coming off 2-10 seasons or similar will look at it and say, "Hell, let's do that! It's not as if we can hope to be in a better place by staying relatively clean, and penalties that light will clearly put us in a better position even after they are imposed."

WSOPdawg
02-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Might as well just endorse cheating at a high level. If that's all they get, they will absolutely have considered it a good investment. And every other crappy program coming off 2-10 seasons or similar will look at it and say, "Hell, let's do that! It's not as if we can hope to be in a better place by staying relatively clean, and penalties that light will clearly put us in a better position even after they are imposed."

Yep, cuz 2018 will see them with a roster of 79 scholarship players, 2019 will see 73 schollies and 2020 will see them with 67 (definitely enough for a 2-deep roster plus some).

2021 will be the valley with another 67 scholarship players but then back to 73 full-rides in 2022.

If you "buy" the right players during the next several years, they'll survive this easily. 18 over 3 not gonna cut it!!!

sandwolf
02-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Loss of 10 scholarships per year, for 3 years. At the end of 3 years, they would have a maximum of 55 scholarship players. At least that's the way I understand it.

With USC, they were penalized 10 per year for three years and limited to a maximum of 75 total scholarship players during that time......so it limited them to 15 signees per year, but it only reduced their total number to 75.

travis
02-15-2017, 01:18 PM

I'll believe it when I see it an NCAA report, in a reputable news source or in some sort of leaked document (e.g., Tunsil's text messages). Until then this all seems like wish projection and wild speculation wrapped up in grievance mongering.

BayouDawg
02-15-2017, 01:46 PM
With USC, they were penalized 10 per year for three years and limited to a maximum of 75 total scholarship players during that time......so it limited them to 15 signees per year, but it only reduced their total number to 75.

This is correct. It's the natural attrition that gets ya because you're limited to signing 15 so you can't fill those empty spots and I think USC was down to like 58 scholly players by the last year of their probation due to this

sandwolf
02-15-2017, 02:51 PM
This is correct. It's the natural attrition that gets ya because you're limited to signing 15 so you can't fill those empty spots and I think USC was down to like 58 scholly players by the last year of their probation due to this

Yep. From a 2014 LA Times Preseason Article (LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-ncaa-sanctions-20140608-story.html)):

Scholarship reductions combined with injuries, transfers and attrition left USC's football team with 44 available scholarship players for last season's Las Vegas Bowl.