PDA

View Full Version : Hey Howland grow a sac already

Dawg61
02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
and stand up for your players! When the whistle is in our favor we win. When it is not we lose. Howland needs to atleast be making an attempt every single game to get the refs calling it in our favor because we win when they do.

L vs Bama 67-57 we have 2 more fouls than Bama.

W vs LSU by 17 points. We score 95 and only have 15 fouls. LSU has 2 more fouls than us.

W at Arkansas by 6 points. We only have 17 fouls and Pigs have 21.

W vs aTm by 8 points. We have two more fouls than aTm but shoot 10 more free throws than they do. Made 12 more than them and win by 8.

L to UK. **** these refs! 28 fouls on us 24 on UK. ****ing puke basketball to watch!! absolutely hate the refs in college basketball right now

L to UT by 17. We have 6 more fouls than UT. 24-18

W vs Mizzou. They have 2 more fouls than us.

L to Bama by 9. We have 6 more fouls than them. They shoot 17 more free throws and make TWENTY more than us.

L to Old Misses by 27 points. Old Misses only has 13 fouls the entire game. What the actual **** Howland!!! Rip the ****ing refs already!!!

W vs UT. Both teams get 24 fouls. Garbage product we are having to watch thanks to the refs.

L to Auburn. We get 28 ****ing fouls Auburn gets 23. Eat shit refs!

L to USCe by 4 points. This will make you piss yourself. MSU 27 fouls USCe 15 fouls. Bendover Howland

L to UGA. Only 11 fouls called on UGA the entire game. 24 fouls called on us.

Ben Howland quit being a ****ing ***** with the refs!!! Sick of this shit!!!

Original48
02-15-2017, 09:22 AM
I do think that our lack of post presence hurts in not only receiving foul calls but getting fouls called against us by not being able to guard active bigs in the paint (that will change next year). And we do shoot a ton of threes and don't get fouled out there. However, there are multiple head scratching calls EVERY game we play. The foul call on Stapleton last night that resulted in an AND 1 for Georgia should put that official on administrative leave. Either Howland is not teaching the new foul rules enough or he's not getting upset about it enough during the game as you said. I think it's a little of both.

Political Hack
02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
We have a young team. We're not going to be as disciplined as we should on defense. When they get tired they stop moving their feet and start reaching. It's natural and we don't have the depth at 4/5 to deal with it right now. Next year will be drastically different.

Liverpooldawg
02-15-2017, 09:26 AM
We have a young team. We're not going to be as disciplined as we should on defense. When they get tired they stop moving their feet and start reaching. It's natural and we don't have the depth at 4/5 to deal with it right now. Next year will be drastically different.
This

BrunswickDawg
02-15-2017, 09:34 AM
I do think that our lack of post presence hurts in not only receiving foul calls but getting fouls called against us by not being able to guard active bigs in the paint (that will change next year). And we do shoot a ton of threes and don't get fouled out there. However, there are multiple head scratching calls EVERY game we play. The foul call on Stapleton last night that resulted in an AND 1 for Georgia should put that official on administrative leave. Either Howland is not teaching the new foul rules enough or he's not getting upset about it enough during the game as you said. I think it's a little of both.

This. The head scratching call thing is happening in every game I have seen this season - SEC or non-SEC. I think it stands out more in our games because we are already so far behind in the foul calls due to our lack of size (like you said). The NCAA and the conferences need to get their shit together, because the games are unwatchable with the new rules.

Commercecomet24
02-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Hack's right again! All that and combined with the fact these kids are all learning how to play defense because they all come from AAU backgrounds where defense is just a suggestion.

Cowboydawg
02-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Hack's right again! All that and combined with the fact these kids are all learning how to play defense because they all come from AAU backgrounds where defense is just a suggestion.

Best defense we have played all year was in the first half last night. Players did a great job of moving their feet and rotating. The second half was very sloppy. Quit moving our feet and started playing with our hands. A lot of reaching and just lazy play on defense. They were definitely tired but these young players have to understand it takes a full 40 minutes. Also a lot of bogus fouls...as usual.

Dawg61
02-15-2017, 09:46 AM
The NCAA and the conferences need to get their shit together, because the games are unwatchable with the new rules.

This I am so fed up with the trash product they are actively putting on the court and tv by calling so many fouls. It's ****ing garbage to watch!!

smootness
02-15-2017, 09:50 AM
They call more fouls on us because we foul more. Yes, the officiating emphasis is dumb, but other teams are doing a better job of dealing with it than we are. Yelling at the refs isn't going to change that.

maroonmania
02-15-2017, 10:01 AM
This. The head scratching call thing is happening in every game I have seen this season - SEC or non-SEC. I think it stands out more in our games because we are already so far behind in the foul calls due to our lack of size (like you said). The NCAA and the conferences need to get their shit together, because the games are unwatchable with the new rules.

Well the SEC refs have absolutely made it unwatchable for me. Felt like I already knew what would happen last night even before the game tipped off. I put up live stats to see the score as it went along but watched the first 3 episodes of 24 Legacy that I had DVR'd instead of the game. As much as I love watch MSU athletics, college basketball has almost been ruined with all the fouls and I personally just can't stand to sit and watch us get screwed over game after game by SEC officiating. I mean it was just a real shocker that Georgia out-free-throwed us 32-9. Bring on baseball please!

archdog
02-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Look, out of the 10 fouls we had in the second half before we started fouling on purpose, only 3 were actual fouls. Two called on Stapleton were just not fouls.

confucius say
02-15-2017, 10:37 AM
The team that is aggressive offensively is going to be on the good side of the foul calls. We shoot way to many 3's and jump shots instead of going to the rim. Not going to get calls that way.

And I'll say it, peters is killing us throwing away possessions with stupid step back 3's that rarely go in and usually lead to transition buckets the other way.

smootness
02-15-2017, 10:44 AM
And I'll say it, peters is killing us throwing away possessions with stupid step back 3's that rarely go in and usually lead to transition buckets the other way.

I'm not generally a fan of that, but he makes plenty of them. That shot from him is better than any 3 by Holman and pretty much any 3 from Stapleton. Peters has some things he definitely needs to work on, but he's been great shooting the ball this year. Can't fault him there.

tcdog70
02-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Last night the Killer wasn't us shooting 3s. It was our bigs can not finish at the rim. The can not catch and finish or draw a foul. We would be better served to just shoot 3s. I saw several phantom calls on Ga. drives to the paint but when Q or Peters drive no foul is called. I would still like to see Us play a little zone some times. The other teams kill us in the paint and get Us in foul trouble. Every team we have played has zoned us some. Why are we the only team to not play at least some zone. Everyone said Stansbury could not Coach Xs and Os but he could Coach defense. And guess what? that is half the game.

shannondawg
02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
In Howlands defense he is not a guy that throws tantrums, he does question the refs but does it in a controlled manner.
If you want Bobby Knight kind of guy, you better hire another coach.

Ari Gold
02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Might be one the worse thread titles in a while ..

Dawg61
02-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Might be one the worse thread titles in a while ..

You keep offering up your opinion on my posts and threads like I give a **** douchebag. You made my list.

confucius say
02-15-2017, 03:12 PM
I'm not generally a fan of that, but he makes plenty of them. That shot from him is better than any 3 by Holman and pretty much any 3 from Stapleton. Peters has some things he definitely needs to work on, but he's been great shooting the ball this year. Can't fault him there.

He makes maybe 30% doing that.
I'm fine with him taking threes in rhythm off a ball screen or catch-and-shoot.

MarketingBully
02-15-2017, 04:00 PM
They call more fouls on us because we foul more. Yes, the officiating emphasis is dumb, but other teams are doing a better job of dealing with it than we are. Yelling at the refs isn't going to change that.

This is bullshit. The other teams foul just as much as us. Hell, South Carolina averages 25 fouls a game yet committed 15 against us their second lowest total of the year. I guess for that one game they decided not to foul as much. Look at the stats before just saying they aren't fouling. It's because the refs eyeball us more then the other team has learned not to foul.

smootness
02-15-2017, 04:04 PM
He makes maybe 30% doing that.
I'm fine with him taking threes in rhythm off a ball screen or catch-and-shoot.

Which still would mean it isn't a terrible shot. Again, I don't like it in general, and he may do it a bit too much at times, but it is a shot that can be a weapon for him and for us when we're having difficulty getting good looks otherwise.

The main thing I was trying to say was that last night, it didn't really hurt us. He made a few that way against UGA.

smootness
02-15-2017, 04:06 PM
This is bullshit. The other teams foul just as much as us. Hell, South Carolina averages 25 fouls a game yet committed 15 against us their second lowest total of the year. I guess for that one game they decided not to foul as much. Look at the stats before just saying they aren't fouling. It's because the refs eyeball us more then the other team has learned not to foul.

Or it's because a higher percentage of our offense is outside shots, which naturally draw fewer fouls. And teams attempt to go inside on us more often because our post defense is a work in progress.

You can't just look at the raw foul totals and claim bias. They may be eyeballing us more, too, I can't really speak to that and there's no way to know that. I do know that pretty much every time we foul, I go back and watch it again because it seems like a BS call, and pretty much every time, even if I don't like the rule, I see why they called it on us.

You may believe they're swallowing their whistle against opposing teams because we're young, but I don't see it. We take a lot of outside shots and are young and undisciplined on defense. That is going to lead to a foul disparity in most games.

RougeDawg
02-15-2017, 04:09 PM
One thing about last night I haven't seen posted was how shitty the UGA fans are for only having a few grand in attendance. We get a weekly berating on here because we don't fill the hump every game. It's happening everywhere and will continue until they fix the game and we start putting a quality product on the floor.

smootness
02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
One thing about last night I haven't seen posted was how shitty the UGA fans are for only having a few grand in attendance. We get a weekly berating on here because we don't fill the hump every game. It's happening everywhere and will continue until they fix the game and we start putting a quality product on the floor.

UGA basketball fans are notoriously awful. Not sure we should be comparing ourselves to them.

RougeDawg
02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
UGA basketball fans are notoriously awful. Not sure we should be comparing ourselves to them.
Hence the part about it happening everywhere. From Arkansas to Kentucky there are fewer patrons across the board these days.