PDA

View Full Version : Well MarketingBully....

lamont
02-14-2017, 11:09 PM
we wont go 0-6 on that tough stretch...unless we pull off a huge upset Saturday- its going to be 1-5.

MarketingBully
02-14-2017, 11:18 PM
With Ready, we win the Alabama, Auburn, and South Carolina games and that 1-5 stretch is significantly different. When Ready went out of that stretch, this shit was null and void as we are significantly worse without him.

MarketingBully
02-14-2017, 11:24 PM
I will also say it is dumb as shit to recruit the way Howland did last year when you only have one senior. Seems he could have gotten a junior college player or at least recruited a graduate one year player to bridge the gap. Instead, he went with the recruit all freshmen and let's just go from there route. Very high risk high reward play. As he is seeing play out very well this year, only upper class men with the SEC refs get the benefit of the doubt.

msstate7
02-14-2017, 11:27 PM
we wont go 0-6 on that tough stretch...unless we pull off a huge upset Saturday- its going to be 1-5.

15-16 final record and that's in no way a good year with the talent howland has here

lamont
02-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Howland has certainly made some mistakes.

Next year is big for him. Anything less than an NCAA bid will be very disappointing

MarketingBully
02-14-2017, 11:35 PM
Howland has certainly made some mistakes.

Next year is big for him. Anything less than an NCAA bid will be very disappointing

How the hell do you go with a 7 freshman recruiting clas when you have one senior knowing how huge of a project Herard was and the very real possibility of Ado not being eligible? They knew all that and chose to go after Datcher (another project) instead of a big time JUCO big man. There are ways to avoid being this young even when you don't have upper classmen. Hopefully his big risk pays off next year and no one bolts. We have a great chance to win big next year but losing like this is frustrating as hell especially with all the losing we had under Ray.

MarketingBully
02-14-2017, 11:42 PM
15-16 final record and that's in no way a good year with the talent howland has here

I say we go 17 or 18-14 and finish 8-10 in the conference if Ready continues to play. I think we beat Vandy, Ole Miss, and LSU which I agree is not a good year with this much talent.

EngDawg
02-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Guys give it a rest. We are the youngest team in College Basketball without IJ and you seriously think Howland should be on the hot seat. I'm glad we have young guys instead of juco's. Shows long term thinking on our coaches part.

sleepy dawg
02-14-2017, 11:48 PM

....And the 1 game I said we had the best chance in... which everyone promptly dismissed again.

MarketingBully
02-14-2017, 11:52 PM
Guys give it a rest. We are the youngest team in College Basketball without IJ and you seriously think Howland should be on the hot seat. I'm glad we have young guys instead of juco's. Shows long term thinking on our coaches part.

It shows that you don't give a shit about 2016-2017 and you sacrifice it for year three. Ray tried that approach too and it bombed him out in year three. Howland's seat gets fiery hot if we have a shit year next year. Mind you, I don't think we will and I think we win 22+ games next year for an NIT bid at least. I would be okay with that if we show major major improvement.

3rdGen
02-14-2017, 11:56 PM
I am with you Eng. I am looking for long term decisions from all of our coaches. It is going to take long term winning to create a new perception for our university. We have improved so much as a university since I was in high school.

Also, where do we get off questioning coaches like Howland? He obviously knows what he is doing and has weighed the risks. It isn't going to stop me from questioning it but, how much experience do you or I have in coaching basketball at the level he does. For me it's none. If you have that experience and know more about it, by all means get after him and light that fire under his seat.

He has from what I have seen turned the corner in year three consistently, so I will wait to see what happens.

Johnson85
02-15-2017, 12:04 AM
How the hell do you go with a 7 freshman recruiting clas when you have one senior knowing how huge of a project Herard was and the very real possibility of Ado not being eligible? They knew all that and chose to go after Datcher (another project) instead of a big time JUCO big man. There are ways to avoid being this young even when you don't have upper classmen. Hopefully his big risk pays off next year and no one bolts. We have a great chance to win big next year but losing like this is frustrating as hell especially with all the losing we had under Ray.

I'm not sure there's that Much talent coming out of judo or that the talent coming out of judo is equipped to step in and be leaders. And not sure how attractive it is to a good graduate transfer to come into a situation where post season is unlikely. Loading up on good freshman seems like the best approach to me.

EngDawg
02-15-2017, 12:05 AM
It shows that you don't give a shit about 2016-2017 and you sacrifice it for year three. Ray tried that approach too and it bombed him out in year three. Howland's seat gets fiery hot if we have a shit year next year. Mind you, I don't think we will and I think we win 22+ games next year for an NIT bid at least. I would be okay with that if we show major major improvement.

I think next year will be good and the year after, even better.

msstate7
02-15-2017, 12:26 AM

I'm not saying howland should be on the hotseat at all. If we don't finish with a winning record with our God awful OOC schedule and only 4 likely sec tourney teams though, howland did a poor job on the court this season. Hopefully we beat OM and lsu to make this a moot point

MarketingBully
02-15-2017, 12:44 AM
I'm not saying howland should be on the hotseat at all. If we don't finish with a winning record with our God awful OOC schedule and only 4 likely sec tourney teams though, howland did a poor job on the court this season. Hopefully we beat OM and lsu to make this a moot point

If Ready is back permanently, we beat Ole Miss, Vandy, and LSU to finish 17-13.

Todd4State
02-15-2017, 12:47 AM

Who said this in this thread?

Bothrops
02-15-2017, 06:19 AM
At some point Howland is going to start winning a serious amount of games. It's taking longer than we anticipated, but there are plenty of teams out there with good talent, and aren't worth a damn right now. Maturity > talent especially in college basketball. We need Ado to hit the ground running next year. We need a big physical presence something terrible.

Dawg61
02-15-2017, 08:08 AM
If everyone stays healthy and eligible I think we make the NCAA tourney next year. That is if we somehow learn how to play defense and not get 25 fouls a game.

smootness
02-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Because he's building for the long haul. This year was never the end.

msstate7
02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Microcosm of our season...

In the 2nd half, we finally tie the game and on the very next Georgia possession, Q leaves JJ freaking Frazier wide open for 3. Our next 2 offensive possessions are ready forcing a midrange jumper that was contested with him falling back and Q forcing a runner that difficult level 9 of 10... both with plenty of time on shot clock. During this 2-2.5 min stretch, a tie game goes to Georgia up 10.

It's time for the dumb stuff to start being corrected. Q and Holman are closer to juniors than sophomores now and the freshmen are closer to sophomores than freshmen. We aren't that far away imo, but can basketball intelligence be fixed? Can we learn to play defense without fouling? Those 2 questions determine our fate next season imo

BrunswickDawg
02-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Because he's building for the long haul. This year was never the end.

Exactly. Look at Howland's track record, year 3 is the year where it all comes together.

WSOPdawg
02-15-2017, 09:01 AM
At some point Howland is going to start winning a serious amount of games. It's taking longer than we anticipated, but there are plenty of teams out there with good talent, and aren't worth a damn right now. Maturity > talent especially in college basketball. We need Ado to hit the ground running next year. We need a big physical presence something terrible.

It's year 2 under Howland, and he inherited a shit show!!! I'm frustrated with stupid passing and too many turnovers, but the amount of talent we've got is absurd. Next year will be much better.

Liverpooldawg
02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
I will also say it is dumb as shit to recruit the way Howland did last year when you only have one senior. Seems he could have gotten a junior college player or at least recruited a graduate one year player to bridge the gap. Instead, he went with the recruit all freshmen and let's just go from there route. Very high risk high reward play. As he is seeing play out very well this year, only upper class men with the SEC refs get the benefit of the doubt.

He was building for the long haul. I won't argue with that.

Liverpooldawg
02-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Some of y'all just need to chill. It's hard to overestimate how BAD our "program" was when Howland took over. He is essentially building from scratch. It's almost like a start up program, except it was saddled with a bad culture from the start.

louisvilledawg
02-15-2017, 09:40 AM
What's up with Herard and Holman getting only 6 rebounds total in over 40 minutes of action last night?

Herard has d*cks for hands. I fully believe he will become a stud in two years, but right now it's tough to watch him fumble the ball around all the time.

louisvilledawg
02-15-2017, 09:43 AM
If everyone stays healthy and eligible I think we make the NCAA tourney next year. That is if we somehow learn how to play defense and not get 25 fouls a game.

I think our defense will improve a lot next year (don't know how it could get any worse imo, unless we stuck folding chairs out there.) We will have Ado, Brooks, Herard, and Holman + 10 more lbs of muscle hopefully defending down low.

lamont
02-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Some of y'all just need to chill. It's hard to overestimate how BAD our "program" was when Howland took over. He is essentially building from scratch. It's almost like a start up program, except it was saddled with a bad culture from the start.

What a load of bullshit. Ray inherited an awful, lack of discipline, drug-riddled program. Howland inherited guys that worked hard- they just didn't have much talent. Huge difference

shannondawg
02-15-2017, 11:36 AM
So whats the point, did Howland have much to work with or didn't he? I could care less about what Ray had, its ancient history.

Liverpooldawg
02-15-2017, 12:11 PM
What a load of bullshit. Ray inherited an awful, lack of discipline, drug-riddled program. Howland inherited guys that worked hard- they just didn't have much talent. Huge difference

A culture of LOSING is very hard to overcome. Quit being so defensive, Stans is long gone.

MarketingBully
02-15-2017, 02:06 PM
A culture of LOSING is very hard to overcome. Quit being so defensive, Stans is long gone.

He hated Stansbury, lol.