PDA

View Full Version : The unhappiest fan base ever!

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
It's so frustrating watching some of our fans be pissed about playing a team as good as Ok state, but that same fan is pissed about playing Alcorn st because they aren't good enough to help us... Well what in the hell do u want as a fan Stricklin to look two yrs ahead when scheduling and go ok to make our fans happy lets schedule teams only ranked 52-68. Then u wind up with what happened when we scheduled West Virginia a few years back, teams change and get better.... Some of our fans wouldn't be happy winning the lottery!!!

Coach34
09-08-2013, 11:47 AM
We have fans that are always going to be pissed about something- it is what it is.

TheRef
09-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Case Study of unhappy fanbase: After the National Championship series, many fans complained that we didn't adjust properly. We weren't even supposed to make it out of the first round of eliminations. I consider that an over-achievement by the team.

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Obviously it's different people. If you lump every single person into " fan" then there will be differences if opinion to make it seem inconsistent.

For me I don't mind playing corn( just don't base a lot on it) and I agree its good for getting players reps Eric.

But I'm a real advocate of playing better non conf teams too. Hell look how good a lot if our fans think we are after beating Alcorn ? Got mix in some reality too and ok state was that.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 11:54 AM
It's pitiful, I mean it is embarrassing to watch how they bitch about everything!

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
W's are always a good idea. Being in the toughest division in the history of college football we should probably lean more towards playing as many easy teams as possible in the OOC schedule.

Todd4State
09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I think it boils down to insecurity. "What are OTHER people going to say if we do ___." Rather than worrying about doing what is best for MSU.

TheRef
09-08-2013, 12:02 PM
W's are always a good idea. Being in the toughest division in the history of college football we should probably lean more towards playing as many easy teams as possible in the OOC schedule.

I'm not sure, though, with the new playoff system coming into effect if we will be able to schedule such an easy OOC schedule. Just saying, we may not be able to have all 1-AA teams in the coming seasons. I'm not complaining about our schedules for this season, next season, or any subsequent season. I'm just trying to think of how the committee will look at OOC SOS.

Coach34
09-08-2013, 12:20 PM
We don't need to worry about SOS as an SEC team. It will always take care of itself

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
we have our chance to be #1 by playing #1 every year.

We've played the eventual National Champion 6 years in a row. I think only us and LSU can make that claim.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Yea Oregon and Louisville will be far more worried with SOS... We play SEC West we still need those wins, and it's not like the playoffs are taking the top 26 so we need to keep worrying about bowls not playoffs

CooterDavenport
09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
"All 1-AA teams"? We play one FCS team a year. All the rest are FBS schools.

Okrastar1
09-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Bowling Green, Troy, ok state yea they aren't 1-aa sorry to burst a bubble

TheRef
09-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Sorry. Misread the schedule. I apologize and now I will step out of the thread with what's left of my dignity.

rtdawg
09-09-2013, 08:34 AM
And those fans will still be bitching in October when Bowling Green comes to Vegas....That isn't going to be an easy game and I bet those same people bitching about Alcorn will be begging for an easier team after that....

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I get pissed when we lose in football no matter who we play or what the score is. There's no moral victories in my book.

It's funny though because I'm actually a really rational baseball fan. I guess that's from growing up playing baseball and the season being 50-60 games. In football, one game can make or break the season. That's not really the case in baseball

Political Hack
09-09-2013, 09:26 AM
again...

we have played the eventual national champion 6 years in a row. Faced the Heisman trophy winner four out of the last six years. Play his dark lord Saban every year. Have an in-state rival that goes all out to compete for recruiting championships. And have to be better than Ark, Auburn, Kentucky, and/or Ole Miss just to sniff bowl season. We have it hard enough.

Meanwhile, CDM is now tied for 1st place in bowl victories at MSU with 2.... and our fans are ready to schedule Notre Dame.

No. Thank. You.

sandwolf
09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
again...

we have played the eventual national champion 6 years in a row. Faced the Heisman trophy winner four out of the last six years. Play his dark lord Saban every year. Have an in-state rival that goes all out to compete for recruiting championships. And have to be better than Ark, Auburn, Kentucky, and/or Ole Miss just to sniff bowl season. We have it hard enough.

Meanwhile, CDM is now tied for 1st place in bowl victories at MSU with 2.... and our fans are ready to schedule Notre Dame.

No. Thank. You.

Good post. The only quality non-conference game on our schedule should be our bowl game. We get multiple chances every year to prove ourselves against quality teams in the SEC, so there is no reason to add to that in the non-conference games.

Dawg61
09-09-2013, 10:33 AM
The good thing about the OSU loss is it identified areas of needed improvement right away. It showed us where we suck at and gave the coaches time to fix it. Last year we were 7-0 and too set in our ways to fix our issues after Bama showed them to us. As we move forward the OSU loss might start to help us through the media too. We won the first 27 minutes of that game and we held a very high powered offense to 21 points. Their lowest production in years. If they go undefeated and we're the closest game it will look favorably for MSU.

drunkernhelldawg
09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Amazed to see so many replies in a thread about basically nothing. Maybe I was so blinded by the sunshine that I missed the substance.

Hypnodawg
09-09-2013, 11:59 AM
You people bitch about how playing OSU might take us out of a bowl game. Playing OSU was a bowl game. We got a to play a nationally televised high ranked opponent and got paid for it. We had the opportunity to beat them and get some great press for the rest of the season an be picked up on more tv slots.

We lost. So whats the downside? There is no hope that we will run for a national title now. We will not have the 8-0 I believe chant. But all that was just hype last year. We were a crap team and we played like crap in the games that matter.

You only get to play about 12 games a year. Why should we waste a third of our opportunities playing in games where our own fans don't stay past half time? I expect us to play teams like OSU and win or at least look good. If we don't, we need to change what is being done. The slogan is "Compete for championships" not "Slaughter the girls of All Vally State and look like ass in all other games".

The Croom Diaries
09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
we have our chance to be #1 by playing #1 every year.

We've played the eventual National Champion 6 years in a row. I think only us and LSU can make that claim.

That is actually inaccurate. We did not play Florida in 2008.

The only team to play the eventual NC 6 years in a row would be Ole Miss and Arkansas. LSU cannot make the claim because they could not play themselves in 2007. LSU can however say they were or played the national champ each of the last 7 years.

But the real team who has played all 7 of the SEC's consecutive nat'l champs is Arkansas because they played Florida in the 2006 SEC title game and on the road in '08, and of course they are in the West to play the rest of them.

The Croom Diaries
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
You people bitch about how playing OSU might take us out of a bowl game. Playing OSU was a bowl game. We got a to play a nationally televised high ranked opponent and got paid for it. We had the opportunity to beat them and get some great press for the rest of the season an be picked up on more tv slots.

We lost. So whats the downside? There is no hope that we will run for a national title now. We will not have the 8-0 I believe chant. But all that was just hype last year. We were a crap team and we played like crap in the games that matter.

You only get to play about 12 games a year. Why should we waste a third of our opportunities playing in games where our own fans don't stay past half time? I expect us to play teams like OSU and win or at least look good. If we don't, we need to change what is being done. The slogan is "Compete for championships" not "Slaughter the girls of All Vally State and look like ass in all other games".

Can't really say it's a bowl game when you don't get a December full of bowl practices from it, a time when young players gain valuable lessons and get to step up and show what they have for the upcoming year before heading into the winter. And having a bowl game means a winning season (or the possibility of one if you're 6-6). Winning seasons continue momentum you build off them in recruiting.

It would have been nice to play Alcorn, then Oklahoma State. But with kickoff games that is not going to happen. What I wish college football would go to is an optional preseason game prior to Labor Day weekend where if you're going to play a FCS school that is when you do it. It would could towards your record, but you don't have to play it. It would be a chance to make more money, get ready for the opener, feed football hungry fans some football, and cancel out all these FCS games during the regular season. And I'd make it so you have to have 7 wins to qualify for a bowl game, either 7-6 with the FCS game or 7-5 without. But I'm dreaming in my own little world on that one.

DownwardDawg
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
again...

No. Thank. You.

^^^This all day long!!!^^^

MarketingBully01
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Same people who complain about our football team sucking are the same fans of our school that say Ole Miss has a great football team on all boards. Look at all of the MSU football fans on these boards already saying Ole Miss is going to beat Texas. And why do we give a shit about that game when we play Auburn this weekend? Seems like we should care about the Auburn game more!

sandwolf
09-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Good luck selling this bullshit to recruits.