PDA

View Full Version : Game Review

WinningIsRelentless
09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
First of yes it was Alcorn that we just demolished, but you can still take away things from this game.
1. Dak is the qb for this team end of story. Look at what his ability allows us to do on offense that Tyler's doesn't. Example we ran a speed or jet sweep whatever you want to call it to Holloway a couple times, but how many notice that during those sweeps Dak and whatever back was in the game faked the option on the backside? Have fun defending that Ellis. Then he can take snap for under center and not trip and fall which opens another dimension up for us.
2. Dak can throw the freaking football better than anyone we have had in a long long time. Once again yes it was Alcorn but you have to look at the small things: 1 st series back shoulder pass to Malcolm on 4th down (some guys who play on Sunday can't make that pass), td pass to Milton was a thing of beauty also as he threw it to where only Milton could catch it, one of the completions to RoJo was a beautiful pass as he throw RoJo to the open area and where only he could get it, lastly Brandon Hill needs to be meeting with Fred Brown and Balias as that td pass that was almost lodged in his pads was the best play from Dak in the game ( man in your face and you throw it right where your te is going to be before he breaks is a damn fine play).
3. We have some talent at wr that we haven't had in a long time. Before the year is over I look for someone else besides Morrow to be starting in his spot. We still need a burner on the outside who can just run past anyone.
4. With 5 starting defense players out even playing a lower team in years in the past we would struggle putting a team out there who could dominate but we can now. Big probs needs to go out to the dl for their play specifically (Nelson Adams, Ryan Brown, and AJ Jefferson). All three played a lot of snaps and made some big plays. I mean big Nelson gets a tip on a punt and we are up by 44 now that's heart and playing hard every snap. (Quay and Nick need to learn something from him.
5. Lb play was great today also. Major props to Zach Jackson on this front. Kid is fast strong and plays with a lot of heart. He had two guys on him on the fake punt and still made the damn play. That gets him juice points. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up starting in front of Skinner as he is quicker and covers a lot better when they are forced to cover.
6. Kickoff return needs to stay the same with Brandon and Cox back deep. We need to get the ball in Cox's hand a couple times a game because he is a play maker with game changing speed.
7. Someone needs to take the meth or whatever Bell is taking before he kicks fg's away from him. Dude has a leg but is never consistence on his plant foot thus all the missed fg's.
8. Props to Holmes dude played special teams, middle lb, and on offense. When was the last time you say a state player play defense and then stay on the field for offense. Dude is a athlete with a ton of heart. We need to sign as many guys as we can with our last 4 scholarships a year and we will be in damn good shape.

thf24
09-08-2013, 11:40 AM
I absolutely agree on #2. It's going to stretch the field before a snap is played because opposing DC's watching film will know that Dak can hit those throws even in tight coverage. As good a passer as TR is, he's never shown the ability to consistently hit deep touch throws or throw his guys open. Now Dak just needs to get his accuracy on the short burners under control, but that will come with more reps.

cheewgumm
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I didn't see the same thing. I don't think dak throws as well as Russell. But it's hard to judge him harshly on so few throws. I see interceptions for dak because he is not very accurate.

I do think he'll be good but most of his passes were not exactly on the mark. High, behind, etc. those are gonna be ints.

Political Hack
09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
he throws high, which is a huge no-no. He's not close to being the same passer TR is. If he was, he's be the unquestionable starter for CDM.

thf24
09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I didn't see the same thing. I don't think dak throws as well as Russell. But it's hard to judge him harshly on so few throws. I see interceptions for dak because he is not very accurate.

I do think he'll be good but most of his passes were not exactly on the mark. High, behind, etc. those are gonna be ints.

No argument here; his accuracy is still suspect, and he's not as sharp on making the short to intermediate throws that are the most important. But the vision, instinct, and ability to make those hard throws is definitely there. Again, accuracy will come in time.

WinningIsRelentless
09-08-2013, 01:36 PM

The passes behind we're back shoulder passes so only tithe receiver can make the play. He isn't very accurate on the quick passes because his arm is so live. And I have no issue with high passes when your receivers are 5 inches taller than the DBS as long as its not across the middle with a safety behind them. It's the saying put it where only your guy can make the catch.

bgdog
09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Dak doesn't throw anywhere near as well as Russell.

maroonmania
09-08-2013, 03:33 PM
The passes behind we're back shoulder passes so only tithe receiver can make the play. He isn't very accurate on the quick passes because his arm is so live. And I have no issue with high passes when your receivers are 5 inches taller than the DBS as long as its not across the middle with a safety behind them. It's the saying put it where only your guy can make the catch.

Dak MAY not be quite as accurate as Russell (though I've certainly seen Russell miss his share of passes) but he's already doing 2 things I've never seen Russell do much of and that is make a back shoulder type throw like he did on the TD pass to Milton OR throw passes before the WR makes his break so that when the receiver turns the ball is there waiting for him. I actually saw some of that from Dak yesterday.