PDA

View Full Version : Ed aschoff: cam Akers is

gravedigger
02-12-2017, 11:09 PM
The best player to come out of Mississippi since I've been alive.

Really?

BeardoMSU
02-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Sports writing, especially at Ed's level, is full of hyperbolic sensationalism...it's how they get clicks.

Todd4State
02-12-2017, 11:44 PM
It's like people forgot about Marcus Dupree for some reason. Akers is a great player but I'm honestly not sure that he's even the best to come out of Clinton High School much less Mississippi.

msstate7
02-12-2017, 11:52 PM

Really?

How old is EA? Are Favre, rice, Payton, and Dupree not in his lifetime?

BeardoMSU
02-12-2017, 11:56 PM

How about a guy called "McNair"?.....

CadaverDawg
02-12-2017, 11:58 PM
He clearly got that line from one of his Ole Miss contacts when they thought they had Akers locked up. Ha, Aschoff is a damn circus clown with a platform.

msstate7
02-12-2017, 11:59 PM
How about a guy called "McNair"?.....

Yep. Hell, kj wright, fletcher cox, duece McAllister, Patrick Willis, etc... EA is a freaking moron

Bothrops
02-13-2017, 12:00 AM

Really?

He ought to have his ass kicked for making that statement.

BeardoMSU
02-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Ha, Aschoff is a damn circus clown with a platform.

His singing voice though...***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJHGnL8BSo

Todd4State
02-13-2017, 12:03 AM

I just assumed that he was talking about Mississippi High School and not like football player ever. At least I hope so because Akers isn't on the same planet as Payton, Rice, or Favre.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 12:08 AM
I think Akers gets hyped so much more than others bc he was in metro area and at a 6A school. I wonder how much Chris jones would've been hyped had he played at Clinton, MC, or Brandon. Jones absolutely dominated at the ms-al game and Akers was nothing.

Commercecomet24
02-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Eric Moulds wasn't to bad himself.

ScottH
02-13-2017, 12:43 AM

Right at 30 years old.

I seen it dawg
02-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Guy is an idiot

lastmajordog
02-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Can you imagine how many records Dave Marler would have had if he had 5 years in a system......good grief.

fader2103
02-13-2017, 08:42 AM
There is this unknown guy named Jerry Rice. I heard he had a pretty good career

smootness
02-13-2017, 08:53 AM
There is this unknown guy named Jerry Rice. I heard he had a pretty good career

Did you guys all miss the 'since I've been alive' part? And I think it's safe to assume he means 'came out of a MS HS since I've been alive'. You may still disagree, but at least judge him on what he actually said.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 08:54 AM
I think Akers gets hyped so much more than others bc he was in metro area and at a 6A school. I wonder how much Chris jones would've been hyped had he played at Clinton, MC, or Brandon. Jones absolutely dominated at the ms-al game and Akers was nothing special in that game.

To somewhat justify my stance with Chris jones, 247 shows his senior year stats as...

160 tackles 45 TFL 14 sacks 1 int (td)

http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Jones-21625?PlayerInstitution=34333

No idea if those are accurate, but think about how alabama's all star olinemen looked like statues trying to block him... imagine 3A olinemen in rural Mississippi. Had Chris jones played at one of the big 6A schools, he'd have been unbelievably hyped, rather than just right at the end of his recruitment

ETA... in ms-al all star game, Chris had 8 tackles 3 TFL 1 sack. Doesn't even tell the whole story... he was totally unblockable the whole game

Mjoelner34
02-13-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm reserving judgement until I see him pick up an NCAA Div. 1 middle linebacker on a free blitz.

RougeDawg
02-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Asschaps is the Sally of ESPN. He's f*cking garbage and stealing from ESPN every paycheck he receives. I attempt to provide him insight every off season but he continues to ignore. Then as the season unfolds I have to go back and retweet where I told him in July to amend his predictions and he calls me an idiot. This last off season he called me an idiot for saying OM was a 6-6 team at best and their "talent" was more imagination that reality. He laughed and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. To which I went on to explain that all those "top classes" were not actually currently players on the roster and attrition and never making it to campus made those classes more like 30-50 ranked classes. Again he laughed and acted like I was crazy. He researches football as much as I research alien life 18 galaxies away. Complete joke and embarrassment to sports reporting.

F*ck him. Stop clocking his articles and hopefully ESPN will flush that pile of dump like BR did Sally.

Ari Gold
02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Just more salt to that massive wound that is the Umiss program.
Who gives a shit what Ed Asshole says.

tcdog70
02-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Yep. Hell, kj wright, fletcher cox, duece McAllister, Patrick Willis, etc... EA is a freaking moron

Willis went to High school in Tenn. And who knows Cam might be the best player, time will tell. It is also hard to judge when you play different positions. He is a really good football player. But the best thing He did to give Himself a chance to be the greatest ever was --Not going to Ole Miss.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Cam is the best MS HS player to come out in the last 5-10yrs. Best ever that has & will remain Marcus Dupree.

fader2103
02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Did you guys all miss the 'since I've been alive' part? And I think it's safe to assume he means 'came out of a MS HS since I've been alive'. You may still disagree, but at least judge him on what he actually said.

I get what he said, but if he was 30 then Jerry had just came out of MS maybe 4 or 5 years earlier. It's not like the guy never saw Jerry Rice play.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2017, 12:54 PM
I get what he said, but if he was 30 then Jerry had just came out of MS maybe 4 or 5 years earlier. It's not like the guy never saw Jerry Rice play.

I'd imagine he's speaking strictly as a HS player.

fader2103
02-13-2017, 01:01 PM
I honestly think Cam will be a bust in college. Just my opinion (and no that's not because didn't even think about MSU) I just don't see it with him. I could be 100% wrong and will eat my words if so.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 01:02 PM
I'd imagine he's speaking strictly as a HS player.

Probably, but you're assuming he's talking about HS. He didn't clarify, so people can assume out of MS period too. If Akers is the best out of Miss HS since EA has been alive, Akers will make noise this year... Chris jones was very good as a true freshman

smootness
02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Probably, but you're assuming he's talking about HS. He didn't clarify, so people can assume out of MS period too. If Akers is the best out of Miss HS since EA has been alive, Akers will make noise this year... Chris jones was very good as a true freshman

He said 'to come out of MS' in relation to a HS player who has yet to play in college. It's a pretty safe assumption that he meant 'to come out of a MS high school'. Anyway, it's not clear, so assuming he meant 'to come out of MS, period' or 'to have ever come out of MS' and then trash him for it seems pretty ridiculous.

Chris Jones has an argument, as does Dontae Walker. Anybody else who has come out of HS since 86...not really, unless I'm forgetting someone. Favre is right on the line, and he wasn't really at that level coming out of HS.

Arguing Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, or anybody else from back then is dumb.

smootness
02-13-2017, 01:11 PM

He's talking about a specific time period. Why would he include someone who came out before he was born in the category of 'since I've been alive'?

msstate7
02-13-2017, 01:15 PM
He said 'to come out of MS' in relation to a HS player who has yet to play in college. It's a pretty safe assumption that he meant 'to come out of a MS high school'. Anyway, it's not clear, so assuming he meant 'to come out of MS, period' or 'to have ever come out of MS' and then trash him for it seems pretty ridiculous.

Chris Jones has an argument, as does Dontae Walker. Anybody else who has come out of HS since 86...not really, unless I'm forgetting someone. Favre is right on the line, and he wasn't really at that level coming out of HS.

Arguing Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, or anybody else from back then is dumb.

If the argument is straight out of HS, then Akers has to be great this year. If Akers doesn't impress as a true freshman, the argument is wrong imo. If you're arguing straight talent out of HS that will produce at some point in college, I think fletcher cox and BM should be mentioned.

Commercecomet24
02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Dontae Walker was a beast in high school. Lot of the same things being said about cam were being said about dontae. He's another what could've been story.

And IYOK is right about Dupree. No question the best to this point.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2017, 01:57 PM
If the argument is straight out of HS, then Akers has to be great this year. If Akers doesn't impress as a true freshman, the argument is wrong imo. If you're arguing straight talent out of HS that will produce at some point in college, I think fletcher cox and BM should be mentioned.

I can't believe I'm arguing about a kid that has no ties to MSU but this seems extremely short-sighted. OK what if he doesn't kill it his freshman year but he does his Soph & Jr year & becomes a top 10 pick. Then what? Look he's not the greatest ever but he definitely can make a case for it coming out of HS. Let's just be real here. Look at his HS career from 9th grade thru 12th grade he has every accolade you can imagine. He had the target on his back all season & what did he do? Put together 1 of the best seasons we've seen & finished the deal with a state championship with a for the ages performance. Let's give the kid his due. He's no Dupree but he's 1 of the best.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 02:05 PM
I can't believe I'm arguing about a kid that has no ties to MSU but this seems extremely short-sighted. OK what if he doesn't kill it his freshman year but he does his Soph & Jr year & becomes a top 10 pick. Then what? Look he's not the greatest ever but he definitely can make a case for it coming out of HS. Let's just be real here. Look at his HS career from 9th grade thru 12th grade he has every accolade you can imagine. He had the target on his back all season & what did he do? Put together 1 of the best seasons we've seen & finished the deal with a state championship with a for the ages performance. Let's give the kid his due. He's no Dupree but he's 1 of the best.

I'm not saying he isn't gonna be great. I just think it's much easier to look back after having more data like a freshman year in college to judge how great a player was out of HS

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2017, 02:11 PM
I'm not saying he isn't gonna be great. I just think it's much easier to look back after having more data like a freshman year in college to judge how great a player was out of HS

Well if that's the case we may as well wait until he completely finishes college.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Well if that's the case we may as well wait until he completely finishes college.

Fine!!!!***

Had my method been applied around Brian Darden's time, it would've saved some people some future embarrassment pronouncing him the GOAT

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Does Dylan Farve get thrown into the conversation? Didn't he have crazy video game numbers and win a championship? It is funny to me that the best player out of HS wasn't even the best RB in the MS/AL Allstar game.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Does Dylan Farve get thrown into the conversation? Didn't he have crazy video game numbers and win a championship? It is funny to me that the best player out of HS wasn't even the best RB in the MS/AL Allstar game.

You'll get the Alabama game planned for Akers. Good thing the game has evolved to this point bc Dupree would have no claim to the best out of MS had big 8 teams learned how to gameplan for him**

msstate7
02-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Should pegues get some love as the best HS player out of Miss during this period? 44-1 record at USP with 3 state championships. Rushed for over 4,100 and 86 tds in HS while also playing defense (named 1st team all defense and offense) and returned kickoffs and punts. He was clearly the best player on the best team

jumbo
02-13-2017, 03:49 PM
who cares?

smootness
02-13-2017, 03:52 PM

He's judging the talent right now. It's his opinion. His opinion is that Cam Akers is the best player, upon coming out of HS in MS, that he has seen in his lifetime.

He may turn out to be wrong. But it's his opinion. That's all he's saying. Why are we so up in arms about it?

tcdog70
02-13-2017, 03:59 PM
don't forget about Zo Miller , the leader in all time TDs in Mississippi. The games when I reffed Him , he didn't even play in the Second half. Also Don Smith very dominating.

also having referred many Moor High Games--Jerry Rice wasn't that impressive. But $hit changed when he got to Valley.

Commercecomet24
02-13-2017, 04:38 PM
You'll get the Alabama game planned for Akers. Good thing the game has evolved to this point bc Dupree would have no claim to the best out of MS had big 8 teams learned how to gameplan for him**

Dupree didn't play in the big 8. I played at meridian the same time Dupree was at Philadelphia. Philly was not in the big 8. Not that it really matters lol dude was a beast!

There was another cat that graduated same year as Dupree named Mitch Doze. That was a bad little dude!

msstate7
02-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Dupree didn't play in the big 8. I played at meridian the same time Dupree was at Philadelphia. Philly was not in the big 8. Not that it really matters lol dude was a beast!

Big 8 as in big 12 minus 4

Commercecomet24
02-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Big 8 as in big 12 minus 4

Dude I'm sorry I thought you meant the big 8 in Mississippi high school! I guess I'm just nostalgic for the old days! Sorry about that!

Mjoelner34
02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
don't forget about Zo Miller , the leader in all time TDs in Mississippi.

I think Steve McNair's nephew, Jason, broke that record.

msstate7
02-13-2017, 05:03 PM
He's judging the talent right now. It's his opinion. His opinion is that Cam Akers is the best player, upon coming out of HS in MS, that he has seen in his lifetime.

He may turn out to be wrong. But it's his opinion. That's all he's saying. Why are we so up in arms about it?

I don't guess it really does matter and I'm not up in arms... I just like to argue if you haven't noticed.

I do dislike how these sports reporters will give opinions like this and then it's considered fact. Rick Cleveland started this declaring Akers better than Dupree. I just this is a case of being a prisoner of the moment. Take a guy like pegues... if usp had turned him loose passing the ball like Akers, he'd be right there with Akers on total offense stats. Pegues played offense, defense, and special teams for his team and went 44-1 in HS with 3 state titles. Why is Akers so much better than him?

Despite the hype bothering me, I watched the ms-al all star game with an open mind. I realize 1 game is a stupid SSS, but he repeatedly busted outside on runs only to get nothing to minimal yardage. I've heard nonstop about his world class speed, but those Alabama all star LBs had no trouble containing him. I just really think he's ultra hyped bc he's a great player (I don't dispute this) that played in the highest level of Miss football in metro Jackson that had a coach tailor make an offense to let him put up stupid numbers. I give Akers credit though bc he did it and won the big one

msstate7
02-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Dude I'm sorry I thought you meant the big 8 in Mississippi high school! I guess I'm just nostalgic for the old days! Sorry about that!

Haha... no apology needed